US elections 2021-2022

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I’ve used American Taliban before but have stopped since I’ve seen some people point out that it turns the attention away from the fact that this problem is rooted in Christian Evangelicals. I prefer the term Christofacism.
Same dog, different bone

olympic

No, it does not. By any definition, I’m liberal on social issues, though at this point I’m to the right of the Democrats as their positions have become increasingly extremist, absurdist, and illogical.

I favor abortion rights and am ok with a compromise of a European style law.

I favor LGBT and trans rights, though I think women who have undergone male puberty should not compete in women’s athletic events.

I oppose the death penalty (but could live with it in very very severe cases e.g., remorseless serial killer with no doubt of guilt).

I think birth control should be readily available and in a perfect world free.

I wish more Republicans supported positions like these. They’re a lot close to Democratic positions, yet Dems demonize me and Republicans are quite tolerant of these views.

I already assume they’re gone for me - either the age will be raised, they’ll be subject to means testing, or else the country will be too flat broke to afford them. I don’t think I’ll do any better in the U.K. which is even more broke.

The problem is it’s all a bunch of lies. The Dems are in favor of teaching revisionist history, which is no better than banning books or evolution. They want to cancel anyone who disagrees with them slightly and then claim they support free speech. Bodily autonomy sure didn’t apply during C19. It’s like he has forgotten his whole record. Sadly for him no one is this stupid (at least no one who voted Republican).
In summary on social issues - you are closer to the D position, but Rs are 'quite tolerant' which doesn't really add up when you look at their voting records, and the Ds are super-mean to me, so I can't support team D. Got it!

SS and medicare will be gone. Throw hands up in the air. Impossible to fund, because Elon Musk needs to continue paying 3% in taxes. Really logical. All of it!

Dobre

Comparing regular Republican voters to the Taliban is feeding directly into propaganda. I mean talk about a great way to turn off moderates and/or stop them from listening to any of the other practical, valid, convincing, or well-thought out things one has to say.

Yes, I know Republicans that are for all the things that the party stood for before Nixon. I can quote one of them, who is still on the role as a Republican even though she's not currently voting for any of them: "The Republicans right now are weird."

Now there is a slogan you could probably use without offending every moderate you talk with. A lot of Republicans winning a lot of elections right now are weird. Why? Because they are getting funded & supported by Trump's corruption & the groups that helped fund him. Because the Republicans who aren't weird have been or are getting pushed out of office and/or silenced. (Some are afraid to speak up because they might be threatened via extremists sending death threats & picketing their homes). You know who should be plenty angry at extremist Republicans right now? Moderate Republicans.
The Taliban allow limited abortion.
And there's a good reason not to be a single-issue voter.

caseyedwards

To say republican is taliban is to Say republicans are very close to cutting off the noses lips and ears of women. Stoning women to death in giants stadium. Is that what you want to say?

Dobre

Dobre

Dobre

"House passes legislation to enshrine a right to contraception in federal law. The vote is 228-195
220 Democrats and 8 Republicans vote YES
All 195 NO votes are Republicans
2 Republicans vote 'present.'"

195. Seriously.

I'd bet you at least 185 of them have either used contraception or have a spouse or significant other that has used contraception. Unbelievable. Stats say over 70% of women ages 30-49 are currently using it.

66% of Republicans consider birth control to be a basic part of women's health care, yet only 4% of Republicans in the House voted to protect their constituents' right to use it. These Republican Representatives are not representing the people in their districts.

Last edited:

olympic

Tim Ryan finally stopped talking about China and his voting with republicans and has an anti-J. D. Vance ad.
You might find this interesting: OH GOP operatives are freaking out over JD Vance:

MsZem

J.D. Vance has been praying at the Western Wall and making campaign appearances by video link from Tel Aviv. That's one approach to campaigning in Ohio, I guess.
One has to be quite the masochist to visit TA this time of year.

Vagabond

Representative Glenn Thompson, a Pennsylvania Republican, attended his son’s same-sex wedding days after the lawmaker voted against a bill that would codify the right to have a same-sex marriage into federal law.

Thompson was one of 157 Republicans who voted against the Respect for Marriage Act, which passed the US House last week. On Friday, he attended his son’s wedding.

“Congressman and Mrs Thompson were thrilled to attend and celebrate their son’s marriage on Friday night as he began this new chapter in his life,” a spokesperson for the lawmaker, Maddison Stone, said in a statement Monday. “The Thompsons are very happy to welcome their new son-in-law into their family.”
After the vote on the Respect for Marriage Act, Stone said the measure was a “stunt”.

“This bill was nothing more than an election-year messaging stunt for Democrats in Congress who have failed to address historic inflation and out of control prices at gas pumps and grocery stores,” Stone told the Centre Daily Times.
Never let it be said that Rep. Thompson let his principles stand in the way of his ambition. :shuffle:

Susan1

They were just talking about this on Nicole's show. The Lincoln Project is releasing an ad today some time. However, it's only online. How are the GQP going to see it? They wouldn't click on a Lincoln Project ad. They should give it to Tim Ryan to use on t.v. ads - every hour till November.

Dobre

I though this editorial had some good details about the Inflation Reduction Act under discussion:

"Instead of cutting taxes, this Democratic conservatism raises taxes on the very obscenely rich not only to raise needed revenue but to reduce inflation. (The name of the bill is not mere propaganda.)

Instead of getting the government out of the way so that markets can flourish, this Democratic conservatism creates markets, and all the jobs that come with them, for green energy and green tech. It invests in entrepreneurs in green goods and services and otherwise establishes market conditions for people to make green money.

Instead of cutting services, like the Affordable Care Act’s premium tax credits, it expands them. Instead of letting markets rip people off, it competes to bring down prices. Instead of forcing normal people to pay for most of a civilized republic, it forces the very obscenely rich to carry their share – by closing the 'carried interest loophole.' (If you’re still looking for “compassionate conservatism,” here it is.)"

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information