US elections 2021-2022

Susan1

One of the governor candidates keep harping on the crisis at our borders.

I yell at the TV... we don't have a crisis. Ask Ukraine what a true crisis is.
We're having a republican primary here (for Porter's seat) and their ads talk about Mexico. We're in Ohio, stupid. You should want them to come up here and get a job at one of the fast food places that always close early because of lack of workers.

That hillbilly moron, JD Vance, is going to finish the wall and "end welfare for illegals". In the first place, "illegals" is not a noun. AND, if I don't change the channel in time, I yell at the t.v. "they don't get welfare, you idiot".

Last edited:

caseyedwards

I’m sure many of the republicans would be happy with immigrants who got visas. The issue is treating people who don’t get visas the same or better than people who do. What should America do about all the people in America without visas? Deport or amnesty.

Susan1

Susan1

Part 2 -

:violin:

And -
I already saw an ad for the guy from Cincinnati. A Democrat. But our Mayor Nan is ahead of him. I wish someone would call and poll me. Will they still have a primary if our maps aren't done in time?

once_upon

Believer in woman's right to own healthcare decisi
Holy crap. The Nebraska Republican Governor primary race is getting even uglier.

One is said to have knowingly hired undocumented workers to avoid taxes. He is endorsed by Ricketts and Larry the Cable Guy

One is said to have businesses in another state to avoid paying Nebraska taxes. He is endorsed by Ne. Lt Governor (I never knew his name, still don't) and by 8 or 10 State Patrol Officers in uniform in ads (which I think is a violation)

One is said to have passed legislation to increase gasoline.

I've apologized to my Iowa friends. They have to listen to this crap and they don't even live in Ne.

Vagabond

Candidate David Campos on Saturday said his campaign was “fighting and running like Ukrainians,” against the odds, in his Assembly race against San Francisco Supervisor Matt Haney. Drawing immediate Twitter criticism, he protested that he would never trivialize the bloody conflict in Europe.
He just did. :fragile:

Susan1

That means we can still vote in the Democratic primary for governor, right? "statewide" I want to vote for Mayor Whaley over the Mayor of Cincinnati. But either one has to beat the jerks on the right. Maybe they'll all just kill each other and be out of the way.

ETA - More Ohio election foolishness in the news

Last edited:

ballettmaus

A politician whose constituency makes more than $100,000 and who thinks everyone who makes less are filthy "takers," especially those who are POC or old people whose Social Security is a major part of their income.
I would argue that it's the prefered constituency but not the majority who votes for them. Whether they like it or not, they got elected and gets elected by white, non-college educated voters, at least according to the statistics.

ballettmaus

There's an ongoing investigation into TN lawmakers. https://www.newschannel5.com/news/n...er-lawmakers-subpoenaed-by-federal-grand-jury
At first glance, I thought this was about Fortenberry but it doesn't seem to be. It's getting hard to keep up.

Speaking of hard to keep up, Missouri found another prime candidate for Senate. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/20...ric-greitens-accuses-domestic-abuse-rcna20910
The ex-wife of former Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens alleged in court documents Monday that Greitens, a GOP Senate candidate, abused her and their young son while they were married, including knocking her down and confiscating her cellphone.

Do they have them stacked in a warehouse somewhere?

Meoima

This does not seem well for the Dems though.

Finally, when it comes to November’s midterm elections, the NBC News poll showed 46 percent of registered voters preferring a Republican-controlled Congress, versus 44 percent who said they want to see Democrats in charge. That 2-point GOP lead — within the poll’s margin of error — is the first time Republicans have held the advantage on this question since 2014.

Last edited:

Susan1

Ohio stuff -
At least once a week at the beginning of the c.v. update, he noted gun deaths in Ohio, especially children.

It's about time. The GOPers have been running obnoxious ads for a couple months. Guess their voters are slow. And I saw one for Nan Whaley for Governor this morning.

4 times now and it still unfairly favors the GOP. Duh. If you can't win, cheat. If you can't cheat, steal. Sounds familiar.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
:lol: Tim Ryan's campaign ads are pretty blah. Considering the money he has to spend on them I was expecting much better. So far, the only one I've seen in our local market is an anti-China ad.

Nan Whaley has the least money with the best campaign ad out of any shown here for any candidates - GOPs, Dems, Senator, Governor. Uplifting and not attacking.

Susan1

:lol: Tim Ryan's campaign ads are pretty blah. Considering the money he has to spend on them I was expecting much better. So far, the only one I've seen in our local market is an anti-China ad.

Nan Whaley has the least money with the best campaign ad out of any shown here for any candidates - GOPs, Dems, Senator, Governor. Uplifting and not attacking.
I love Tim Ryan, but every time I see that ad - "China, China, China", I think about all the reports of Asian Americans being attacked on the streets because of c.v. Not a good idea.

Vagabond

In the era of Donald Trump’s takeover of the Republican Party — when making falsehoods about an election isn’t disqualifying, when heckling a president at the State of the Union is no big deal, when attending an event tied to white supremacists doesn’t lead to exile — it may still be possible for a hard-right member of Congress to go too far.

That is the object lesson of Representative Madison Cawthorn of North Carolina, the House’s youngest member, whose bid for a second term is in jeopardy after a series of incendiary statements and personal foibles have soured many former supporters.
Mr. Cawthorn, 26, called President Volodymyr Zelensky of Ukraine “a thug” and his country “incredibly evil” as Russian tanks rolled in. The congressman has made headlines for bringing a knife to a school board meeting and bringing a gun through airport security. Mr. Cawthorn, who has used a wheelchair since being injured in an automobile accident when he was 18, was charged this month with driving with a revoked license. He has a May court date on the misdemeanor count that carries jail time.
It couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
One of those claims finally set off his fellow House Republicans this week: a bizarre assertion he made on a conservative YouTube channel that people he “looked up to” in Washington — presumably Republican lawmakers — invited him to orgies and used cocaine. On Tuesday, upset House Republicans at a closed-door meeting questioned the remarks, and Representative Kevin McCarthy of California, the House minority leader, told colleagues that he would speak to Mr. Cawthorn.

On Wednesday, he did so. Afterward, Mr. McCarthy told reporters that Mr. Cawthorn admitted the allegations were untrue. The minority leader said that he told the freshman congressman that he had lost trust in him and that he needed to turn his life around.
He's still favored to win. :yikes:

:watch:

Last edited:

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
This is one of the few times I actually believe Cawthorn.

It is in the same vein as Lindsay Graham's ladybugs.

Susan1

"The arguments: Republicans say the maps are fair, Democrats say the districts favor Republicans too heavily.

So far, the Ohio Supreme Court has agreed with Democrats and tossed out three sets of maps."

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
I'd pay $20 million (if I had it) to ensure I'm not in Jim Jordan's congressional district. Luckily, I am breathing a sigh of relief that the original GOP map won't be implemented thanks to the OH Supreme Court. I am all for the SC holding any GOP mapmakers in contempt for bad faith efforts if any of them continue to try and force Gym J on my neighborhood. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information