US elections 2021-2022

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Here's an interesting editorial:

https://wapo.st/3FFHrvY (gifted)

Opinion | Values-based politics are winning politics for Democrats​

The election results from 2018, 2020 and this year, including Tuesday’s reelection of Sen. Raphael G. Warnock (D-Ga.), have clearly shown that Democrats can win by casting Republicans as a party of bigotry, intolerance and radicalism. They should embrace that approach — and give up on strategies that Democrats wish would work but don’t.
I have been saying the Dems are too obsessed with the rural white guy voter for ages now. Glad someone agrees with me. I do think that this strategy did work in 2020 and 2022 and might even work in 2024 but at some point, it will stop working. IMO anyway.

caseyedwards

Here's an interesting editorial:

https://wapo.st/3FFHrvY (gifted)

Opinion | Values-based politics are winning politics for Democrats​

I have been saying the Dems are too obsessed with the rural white guy voter for ages now. Glad someone agrees with me. I do think that this strategy did work in 2020 and 2022 and might even work in 2024 but at some point, it will stop working. IMO anyway.
Fact: democrats have done this for 50 years.

It’s amazing all the editorials in the New York Times about Goldwater Reagan bush McCain Romney trump are all the same

Doing it to Romney was too much for republicans to deal with. They went with trump after

I would love to see a real study done about how democrats calling republicans evil racist monsters for - its 60 years now- has affected American politics and if it has caused all the partisanship

Last edited:

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Because Republicans have become evil racist monsters? And there is a lot more you could add to that

D

Deleted member 221

The Democrats' number-one donor, crypto king Sam Bankman-Fried, has been arrested on charges of fraud:

It's time for the Democrats to stand up and do the right thing by returning all of the fraudulent money that financed their mid-terms. I don't ever want to hear a Democrat who accepted money from Bankman-Fried talk about Citizens United or money in politics again. Every Democrat who took money from Bankman-Fried should have had the good sense to suspect it was fraudulent. If it walks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck....

BittyBug

Disgusted
The Democrats' number-one donor, crypto king Sam Bankman-Fried, has been arrested on charges of fraud:

It's time for the Democrats to stand up and do the right thing by returning all of the fraudulent money that financed their mid-terms. I don't ever want to hear a Democrat who accepted money from Bankman-Fried talk about Citizens United or money in politics again. Every Democrat who took money from Bankman-Fried should have had the good sense to suspect it was fraudulent. If it walks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck....
You seem to be conflating two completely different issues - donations to individual candidates and donations to PACs.

I agree that individual candidates should return any donations that were likely sourced with ill-gotten gains, but that has nothing to do with Citizens United, which prompted the explosion of super PACs. The super PACs that took SBF's money are not "Democrats," they're entities. And they're expressly not allowed to be tied to or coordinate with any individual candidates, so you can't call on "Democrats" to return money over which they had no control.

Don't like it? Neither do I. And this situation is one of many reasons why we desperately need campaign finance reform.

Karen-W

Neither sexy nor sultry, but loving life!
And didn't some politicians donate money equal to what they received?
I call foul on donating the money they received from SBF/FTX/whatever to charity. They should have given the money back so that the investors can recoup some of their losses.

PRlady

Administrator
I call foul on donating the money they received from SBF/FTX/whatever to charity. They should have given the money back so that the investors can recoup some of their losses.
There's no way to ensure that money they give back to that creep isn't used to pay his lawyer bills or other personal expenditures, I would guess. Even if it goes into the corporate pocket.

once_upon

Enough
I'm not arguing for or against returning the money - but how would that really work, investors getting money back? I don't understand bankruptcy in individuals and certainly not in business, but isn't the first priority established is to pay debtor a certain amount on the dollar? That any investors would be the last to be paid out anything?

It's been many, many years ago but when Enron bit the dust, we had shares that were worthless. I dont remember if we had anything in Arthur Anderson at the time

And lawyers would make sure they were first in line.

As I said - I have no argument for or against, nor do I understand bankruptcy or ponzi schemes responsibility to investors

Last edited:

Aussie Willy

Anyone investing in crypto I actually don't have much sympathy for. Everyone wants to make a quick buck. It is the same as gambling. Problem is the people who manage this have set up all the pretty lights and bells and whistles to make it way too attractive. And there is a lot of FOMO about it too.

Last edited:

BittyBug

Disgusted
D

Deleted member 221

caseyedwards

I also note we haven’t heard a peep out them both since. Not that I’m complaining.
Well unlike the horrible situation in maricopa county where machines broke down all day there weren’t problems in Pennsylvania or Georgia. So there’s no reason to be hearing from them

Aussie Willy

Well unlike the horrible situation in maricopa county where machines broke down all day there weren’t problems in Pennsylvania or Georgia. So there’s no reason to be hearing from them
The machines just help with counting. Everyone still had the opportunity to vote on paper ballots. Kari Lake just used it as BS to try and say that there was fraud.

Dobre

I guess this belongs here:

McCarthy's ongoing speaker battle paralyzes House

The GOP leader confirmed he's postponing key committee contests, delaying the conference's ability to prepare bills, call hearings or even pay staff.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
I guess this belongs here:

McCarthy's ongoing speaker battle paralyzes House

The GOP leader confirmed he's postponing key committee contests, delaying the conference's ability to prepare bills, call hearings or even pay staff.
Media headlines: “Republicans in disarray. Why this is bad news for the Biden Administration.”

olympic

I don't see a thread about 2024, but here are some reminders to be wary of R candidates beyond Trump -

DeSantis expected to sign permitless carry gun law in FL. Yeehaw -

https://www.tampabay.com/news/flori...constitutional-carry-gun-law-desantis-renner/

DeSantis flip-flops on COVID vaccines -

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nichol...l-critic-heres-what-happened/?sh=5a84828b7487

Further abortion bans likely in FL beyond the 15-week ban:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Kari Lake has taken her case to the court. The judge dismissed most of her charges (for lack of evidence) but has allowed two to go to trial. So we have to suffer through this Trump wannabe, for a long time. Not sure how this impacts Katie Hobbs, who won the election. Can she take the oath of office as planned or do we have to wait until this trial is over?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Kari Lake has taken her case to the court. The judge dismissed most of her charges (for lack of evidence) but has allowed two to go to trial. So we have to suffer through this Trump wannabe, for a long time. Not sure how this impacts Katie Hobbs, who won the election. Can she take the oath of office as planned or do we have to wait until this trial is over?

Joe Biden was inaugurated even though Trump was in the middle of filing 63 lawsuits.

Aussie Willy

She is now going to have to provide evidence that what she claims actually happened and was intentional. Which she will have a hard time doing. But the way her supporters were Kari-ing on you would have thought she had won the lottery.

once_upon

Enough
Plus as I understand, things aren't going so well. Her lawyers had confusion issues with their first witness and the witness was dismissed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information