US elections 2021-2022

ilovepaydays

He's super into aliens. His parents believe in them too of course, but they had a little spat about Ancient Aliens because my husband loves that show and his dad thinks they don't go far enough :lol:

I think there's other life out in the universe but there's not enough proof that they've visited Earth. This is a very ignorant thing to say, apparently. Me and the hubs do not talk about aliens. He can have his TV show and I won't roll my eyes at it anymore. (not in front of him, anyways)

Of all the thing I wondered about Trump taking classified documents to Mar-a-Lago, the thing I most wanted to know if any of it was about aliens. Or UFOs. Or Area 51 stuff. Or whatever really happened at Roswell.

I really thought if any President was EVER going to find and leak that information, it would have been Trump.

I was so disappointed. 👽 👾 🛸 😉

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Of all the thing I wondered about Trump taking classified documents to Mar-a-Lago, the thing I most wanted to know if any of it was about aliens. Or UFOs. Or Area 51 stuff. Or whatever really happened at Roswell.

I really thought if any President was EVER going to find and leak that information, it would have been Trump.

I was so disappointed. 👽 👾 🛸 😉
He can't profit from any of that, so he's probably not that interested.

sk8pics

Same. I also think that if aliens came here, we would know it. It wouldn't be a quiet thing that governments could sweep under the rug. Not to mention, they wouldn't all come to the US so maybe they'd come to a country that doesn't even want to hide it.
Maybe they have a non-interference directive… ;)

Vagabond

Same. I also think that if aliens came here, we would know it. It wouldn't be a quiet thing that governments could sweep under the rug. Not to mention, they wouldn't all come to the US so maybe they'd come to a country that doesn't even want to hide it.
From what I have read on the subject, they all want to go to the U.S. or the U.K., with Germany a distant third choice. 🤷‍♂️

On My Own

I have a nephew who is a cop who goes on about black-on-black crime and tried to justify Tamir Rice's shooting. I gave up trying to talk to him and just unfollowed him on social media. Though at his brother's wedding last year, they sat us at the same table. I was dreading it but his wife and I had a nice convo about how great unions are (she's a teacher) so that just goes to show that you never know.
Soon, my family is going to meet for a wedding. I'll try talking to them, but if it turns into a battleground, I know whom to blame :p

PRlady

Administrator
My brother-in-laws insisted the other night that I was a Republican in the ‘80s. I was so anti-Reagan, I still call our airport National, so I can’t figure out where that came from. Other than working for a giant ad/PR agency with some loathsome clients?

I was a week away from quitting my job to work on the Dukakis campaign when I found out I was pregnant!

caseyedwards

In 2006 and 2008 the democrats majorities were built on rural districts. In 2018 and 2020 it was almost entirely suburban. Democrats there have been amazingly resilient! Not like the rural ones who were completely swept out in 2010. It’s not until the Republican Party becomes Al Jeb bush and John kasich that they can get those seats again

Vagabond

Two counties, Cochise ( Congressional District AZ 2, AZ 6) and Mohave (AZ 1, AZ 4), have refused to certify the election. They are heavily Republican. If they still refuse to certify by the due date, Arizona law says none of their votes will be counted (on tv tonight).

This will have an effect on vote totals, and even may affect who wins, if the counties are so dumb that they don't certify on time.

They are that dumb.

The state elections director, Kori Lorick, wrote in a letter last week that Hobbs was required by law to approve the statewide canvass by next week and would have to exclude Cochise county’s votes if they weren’t received in time.

That would threaten to flip the victor in at least two close races, a US House seat and state schools chief, from a Republican to a Democrat.

:watch:

olympic

I KNOW the guy who did, quite well, he still jokes about it publicly 35 years later. I also know the guy who picked up the pieces after Hillary’s “baking cookies” remark and I once worked with the Mondale campaign chief who lost 49 states.

DC is a great place for failing upwards.
Not to create too much thread-drift but IIRC, Mondale was the 1st candidate to sound the warning on deficits, or at least make it central to a campaign, wasn't he?

-----

Let's all not forget the Georgia run-off. Early turnout looks high ... People who didn't vote in the general last month are showing up. LOL

PRlady

Administrator
Not to create too much thread-drift but IIRC, Mondale was the 1st candidate to sound the warning on deficits, or at least make it central to a campaign, wasn't he?

-----

Let's all not forget the Georgia run-off. Early turnout looks high ... People who didn't vote in the general last month are showing up. LOL
I honestly don’t remember. But Mondale was a really decent, smart guy. Better than Clinton IMO. But it wasn’t his time.

ilovepaydays

Anyone planning to watch the results tonight? I think special coverage is scheduled for CNN and MSNBC.

Steve Kornacki 🤓 is expected to appear on MSNBC at 6:45pm EST. The polls in Georgia close at 7pm.

🌮 🍫 🥤 😀

ilovepaydays

WAIT. Georgia has 159 counties? WHY?! 🤔 That’s INSANE! 😱

I’m looking it up some other states for reference:
Arkansas (my home state): 75
Virginia (home since 2005): 95 counties + 38 independent cities
Florida: 67
California: 58
Colorado: 67
New York: 62
Massachusetts: 14
Michigan: 83
Texas: 254 🤠
Pennsylvania: 67

Last edited:

caseyedwards

I just read it had something to do with farmers and other not wanting to travel so far to get land legal documents but why not consolidate with better technology? maybe it’s because it is because it gave politicians offices to run and get power!

ilovepaydays

Watching MSNBC - not sure how I would feel about a “party at the polls”. I don’t even like dealing with the canvassers that are there when I walk up to enter the building. Leave me alone! I’ve already decided! 😬

Kornacki has arrived! 😃 Does he always wear that same outfit? I feel like he’s had that same white shirt, red striped tie, and khakis since at least 2016.

Karen-W

Neither sexy nor sultry, but loving life!
WAIT. Georgia has 159 counties? WHY?! 🤔 That’s INSANE! 😱

I’m looking it up some other states for reference:
Arkansas (my home state): 75
Virginia (home since 2005): 95 counties + 38 independent cities
Florida: 67
California: 58
Colorado: 67
New York: 62
Massachusetts: 14
Michigan: 83
Texas: 254 🤠
Pennsylvania: 67
LOL - funny story. Back during my freshman year of college, one of my floormates was from a small town in Georgia. Somehow, in chatting, she revealed that her county had 10,000 people total in it. I don't know which of us was more flabbergasted when I told her that the rather small city where I was born in Oregon had 10,000 people alone, and the city I hailed from in California at the time had between 35,000 and 40,000.

ilovepaydays

LOL - funny story. Back during my freshman year of college, one of my floormates was from a small town in Georgia. Somehow, in chatting, she revealed that her county had 10,000 people total in it. I don't know which of us was more flabbergasted when I told her that the rather small city where I was born in Oregon had 10,000 people alone, and the city I hailed from in California at the time had between 35,000 and 40,000.

I’m from Arkansas (about 3 million people across ~53,000 sq. miles) and there are a lot of counties will less people. I have been told that 75 counties is probably too many for a state like that.

Virginia has about 9.6 million people across just ~42,000 sq. miles. 95 counties + 38 independent cities is probably too many as well.

Georgia has about 10.7 million people but it’s across ~59,000 sq. miles. And somehow the state needs 159 counties. 🤷🏻‍♀️

It’s fun to see all the differences between states - even among states that you would think would be very similar. NOPE! 😆

ilovepaydays

UPDATE: Enjoying a praline from my holiday shipment I received today from my favorite sweets shop in Savannah! 😋

I think it’s going to come down to what happened in Republican counties today. I wondered how much Brian Kemp’s team could really help. Walker’s fundraising was pathetic - and Warnock, despite his issues, had A LOT more cash.

But I think the longer election night takes, the better Walker’s chances. He could still pull this off.

Allskate

But I think the longer election night takes, the better Walker’s chances. He could still pull this off.
Walker definitely can still pull this off. The absence of the third party candidate should help him. The lack of voter enthusiasm for Walker should help Warnock, but it seems like the turnout is very high considering it's a special election.

ilovepaydays

Interesting - Fox News isn’t doing a special coverage of this. They just have a tracker running on the bottom of their regular programming. 🤔

39% reporting - Warnock (D) currently leads Walker (R) 55%/45%

DFJ

Interesting - Fox News isn’t doing a special coverage of this. They just have a tracker running on the bottom of their regular programming. 🤔

39% reporting - Warnock (D) currently leads Walker (R) 55%/45%
I switched over to Fox to see what they were up to. Nothing re the election.

They did though have a segment on the WaPo saying that "Shark Week" is racist. I kind of stopped listening.

canbelto

I don't want him to win, but I feel a tiny bit bad for Herschel Walker. He was all Trump's rotten idea -- his problems as a candidate were obvious from the start, but Trump insisted on pushing him through. His complicated personal history is now public, his gaffes ridiculed, even his speech impediment is the butt of jokes. Him running for Senate was a horrible idea and Walker seemed miserable on the campaign trail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information