US elections 2021-2022

MacMadame

Doing all the things
So, you can look into the future and see what Fetterman will be when he's 70?
He wasn't elected in the future. He was elected now, for a 6-year term, and the Present-Day Fetterman is nowhere close to the danger to democracy that Present-Day Trump was and still is.

He also has demonstrated many times with many people that there is nothing wrong with his cognitive abilities and I'm sick of the ableism that insists that having trouble talking means you are a dumb dumb.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Has anyone claiming that Fetterman is incapable of doing the job actually listened to interviews with him in the last month? Not the debate, which was always going to be the most challenging circumstance for someone in his position, but any regularly conducted interview? Because there is nothing wrong with Fetterman's cognative ability. He has some speech difficulties, which do not disqualify him from holding office.
I have seen him interviewed quite a few times post stroke. He has come across as articulate and clear in what he says. That he is honest about what happened to him I think demonstrates credibility and authenticity.

once_upon

Enough
But how do people cook, eat, argue with their families, and engage in online political debates during Thanksgiving? Am I just too bad at multi-tasking to understand?
Some of us aren't doing Thanksgiving until Saturday afternoon. Some of us have family that don't have differences in politics - or at least the people who disagree don't live close by, or aren't close enough of relationship to have family dinner with.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
Looks like Herschel Walker has a bit of a problem. He’s been claiming his TX mansion as his primary residence on his taxes to get a tax break. Now, there are some questions as to whether this is more a political problem than a legal one:
n 2008, Jim Powell, a Democratic candidate for a local Public Service Commission seat, was initially disqualified from running for office by Karen Handel, a Republican who was Georgia’s secretary of state, for taking a homestead tax exemption outside of his district.

But ultimately, the Georgia Supreme Court decided the candidate could remain on the ballot, saying 7 of the 15 rules showed he had ties to the district.

But if (G-d forbid) he should win, there’s this:
Homeowners in many states are able to apply for a tax exemption by declaring their home to be their primary residence and the exemption lowers their tax bill by removing part of their home’s value on paper. Under Texas law, if a homeowner moves out of the state, the resident can still receive the exemption only if they don’t establish “principal residence” elsewhere and plan to return to Texas within two years.

VGThuy

If I stop stereotyping, then will I discover the secret behind being able to cook, eat, argue with family, and engage in online political debate on a holiday? 😇
As the oldest, I kind of made all my siblings into lefties and my parents just defer to me, so that helped a lot. ;) I, of course, am exaggerating. I may have shared my opinions, but they’re their own people who came to their own conclusions and are open to hearing other views despite our stubborn streak. They are lefties though.

As for my other extended family who are conservative and many of them Trumpsters, we don’t talk about politics with one another anymore, or just on a deeply shallow level. We find it more important to remember we’re family and when crap goes down, and if one of us falls, we’re the ones who will pick you up or help each other through support and just being there…or at least we’ll be there to celebrate when things go good.

Dai's Blues for Klook

As for my other extended family who are conservative and many of them Trumpsters, we don’t talk about politics with one another anymore, or just on a deeply shallow level. We find it more important to remember we’re family and when crap goes down, and if one of us falls, we’re the ones who will pick you up or help each other through support and just being there…or at least we’ll be there to celebrate when things go good.
I'm pretty sure if I ever talked about politics with anyone but my mother and a couple of my aunts, it'd end in bazookas, so I get you.

Although I do have this one cousin with whom I've tried to talk to a few times, and he always ended the conversations a couple of minutes later by squishing my face as if my opinions were very adorable or something. I never got it.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I'm pretty sure if I ever talked about politics with anyone but my mother and a couple of my aunts, it'd end in bazookas, so I get you.

Although I do have this one cousin with whom I've tried to talk to a few times, and he always ended the conversations a couple of minutes later by squishing my face as if my opinions were very adorable or something. I never got it.
I have a nephew who is a cop who goes on about black-on-black crime and tried to justify Tamir Rice's shooting. I gave up trying to talk to him and just unfollowed him on social media. Though at his brother's wedding last year, they sat us at the same table. I was dreading it but his wife and I had a nice convo about how great unions are (she's a teacher) so that just goes to show that you never know.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
When I'd visit my cousins in Arizona while I was in college, my aunt and uncle were very avid politics followers and conservative. Even though I came from a conservative Republican family, during my college years I decided I was very liberal. My aunt and uncle and I would discuss politics during dinner (my cousins would just be rolling their eyes :lol: ). Even though we disagreed on everything, we still loved each other and it was a very good time. I really miss the days when you could disagree with someone 100% on politics and still the conversations were civil and mature and didn't at all affect how you felt about them as people.

manhn

Besides an uncle in Toronto, all of my family is either in the US or still in Vietnamese. So, as the token Canadian, we are mindful of being guests in another country. So, I never bring politics up unless I am with people whose politics I am aware of and align with mine.

I went down to the US for a wedding in the Bay Area. It was during he NBA Finals between Toronto and Golden Skate. So, during a big dinner when Game 2 or whatever was on, I was wearing a CANADA shirt.

A cousin’s husband came up and we were chatting when he started talking about Trump (still president at the time and he was under investigation for something) and how all of these attorneys are going after him and how awful it is.

Cousin’s husband: Manhn, you are an attorney! How do you feel about your profession when all of these attorneys are attacking our great President!

Me: Well, ya know, I don’t really practice in that area of law, and since I am from CANADA [point to my shirt] I am not all that well acquainted with American legal procedure. And since I am from CANADA [point to my shirt], I try to keep my following of the news local. Ya, because I am from CANADA [point to my shirt]. So, how about that Drake?

VGThuy

Besides an uncle in Toronto, all of my family is either in the US or still in Vietnamese. So, as the token Canadian, we are mindful of being guests in another country. So, I never bring politics up unless I am with people whose politics I am aware of and align with mine.

I went down to the US for a wedding in the Bay Area. It was during he NBA Finals between Toronto and Golden Skate. So, during a big dinner when Game 2 or whatever was on, I was wearing a CANADA shirt.

A cousin’s husband came up and we were chatting when he started talking about Trump (still president at the time and he was under investigation for something) and how all of these attorneys are going after him and how awful it is.

Cousin’s husband: Manhn, you are an attorney! How do you feel about your profession when all of these attorneys are attacking our great President!

Me: Well, ya know, I don’t really practice in that area of law, and since I am from CANADA [point to my shirt] I am not all that well acquainted with American legal procedure. And since I am from CANADA [point to my shirt], I try to keep my following of the news local. Ya, because I am from CANADA [point to my shirt]. So, how about that Drake?
Was the cousin’s husband also Vietnamese? If so, this sounds so familiar. Hell, even if not, it sounds familiar….

manhn

Was the cousin’s husband also Vietnamese? If so, this sounds so familiar. Hell, even if not, it sounds familiar….

Nah, white guy, heh.

My parents get more pushback than I do, as the older generation tend to be more republican. I remember one exchange between my mom and her sister. My sister asked my mom where she gets her news.

My mom watches Vietnamese news on YouTube. So, she just said CNN because she probably saw Anderson Cooper on his New Year’s Eve special. My aunt was all smug.

I told my mom: “Mom, you don’t tell American conservatives you watch CNN! You tell them you watch Canadian news! CBC, CTV, Global, whatever. They are Americans, they know nothing about Canada! Tell them you love Rod Black.”

VGThuy

Nah, white guy, heh.

My parents get more pushback than I do, as the older generation tend to be more republican. I remember one exchange between my mom and her sister. My sister asked my mom where she gets her news.

My mom watches Vietnamese news on YouTube. So, she just said CNN because she probably saw Anderson Cooper on his New Year’s Eve special. My aunt was all smug.

I told my mom: “Mom, you don’t tell American conservatives you watch CNN! You tell them you watch Canadian news! CBC, CTV, Global, whatever. They are Americans, they know nothing about Canada! Tell them you love Rod Black.”
That was my close second guess. Viet’s in California and New Orleans have become cult-like. It’s not just conservatism, it’s a true extremism, follow the leader and he can do no wrong thing with Trump. It’s like mob mentality and those who are different, no matter how respectful you try to be, are seriously mistreated, ridiculed, and personally attacked.

Vagabond

I generally refrain from discussing politics even with my other left-of-center friends and relatives because even within that part of the spectrum, there is so much on which to disagree. :argue: :scream:

Amy L

Thanksgiving with my inlaws went like usual, just a constant stream of conspiracy theories that no one asked them for. The worst was when my mil described in detail the proof that Michelle Obama is really s man. And I mean in detail. No one on earth has paid more attention to crotches than her. Did I really need to hear my mil talk about dick outlines for 15 minutes? No. Probably not.

They've moved into the constant state of victimhood that plagues MAGA circles. Two of my fil's very best friends for decades got into a Facebook fight with him and called him a fascist. They went woke so he doesn't talk to him anymore. My mil's bff has woke kids who brainwashed her and now they only argue about woke things so she doesn't have a best friend anymore.

It was like going to exposure therapy to inoculate myself against unhinged sexagenarians calling everything woke. I wonder if Elon and our own dear Louis would still think they were cool for fighting against wokeism and having them on their team if they were all stuck in a room together for an evening :lol:

The only break I got was when my husband brought up aliens. 👽

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
My mil's bff has woke kids who brainwashed her and now they only argue about woke things now so she doesn't have a best friend anymore.
This sounds like my SIL talking about my Niece-IL and unions. According to SIL, her DIL has been "brainwashed by the union" because she likes that the union has her back. :rolleyes:

It was like going to exposure therapy to inoculate myself against unhinged sexagenarians calling everything woke. I wonder if Elon and our own dear Louis would still think they were cool for fighting against wokeism and having them on their team if they were all stuck in a room together for an evening :lol:
Whenever people start throwing the term woke around, I stop listening to them. It's lazy name-calling.

The only break I got was when my husband brought up aliens. 👽
:lol: Is he for or against them??

Amy L

:lol: Is he for or against them??
He's super into aliens. His parents believe in them too of course, but they had a little spat about Ancient Aliens because my husband loves that show and his dad thinks they don't go far enough :lol:

I think there's other life out in the universe but there's not enough proof that they've visited Earth. This is a very ignorant thing to say, apparently. Me and the hubs do not talk about aliens. He can have his TV show and I won't roll my eyes at it anymore. (not in front of him, anyways)

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I think there's other life out in the universe but there's not enough proof that they've visited Earth.
Same. I also think that if aliens came here, we would know it. It wouldn't be a quiet thing that governments could sweep under the rug. Not to mention, they wouldn't all come to the US so maybe they'd come to a country that doesn't even want to hide it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information