US elections 2021-2022

caseyedwards

Speaking of Georgia, 75% of my SPAM folder are emails with appeals to send money to get Herschel Walker elected in Georgia. I don't understand this. The Dems have the Senate. Herschel Walker getting elected is not going to change that. Are they just drifting for cash or are they really motivated to get another seat?
Every seat counts!

Karen-W

Neither sexy nor sultry, but loving life!
Speaking of Georgia, 75% of my SPAM folder are emails with appeals to send money to get Herschel Walker elected in Georgia. I don't understand this. The Dems have the Senate. Herschel Walker getting elected is not going to change that. Are they just drifting for cash or are they really motivated to get another seat?
It actually changes the composition of the Senate committees to a 50-50 split. They're also campaigning that it prevents Schumer from getting rid of the filibuster. And the fact that a 50-50 Senate means the Dems will need Manchin and Sinema like they have the last couple years. Basically, the GOP doesn't trust that a 51-49 Senate won't give Manchin & Sinema the cover to just roll over and play dead on any legislation because it'll pass with only one of them voting in favor.

Amy L

Some of the first thing. There are PACS collecting money for Walker that have fine print stating that 1%, or some other tiny percentage, is the amount going to Walker with the rest going to straight to the PAC for other purposes. Though I suppose their are plenty of GA voters that are determined to own the libs even if it doesn't effect the majority.

There's also procedural stuff within the Senate committees that will give the GOP less authority to hold up votes if they lose the 50/50. Graham and Cruz have been babysitting Walker in interviews lately so they seem pretty motivated.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Fetterman 's spots made people laugh. Including me. And so I wrote postcards for Fetterman.

In comparison, the dark money and RNC money TV ads run in my state for would-be governor Stefanowski were filmed at double volume. They were scary or infuriating, depending on your point of view. The Oz ads were probably similar.

Who would rather be scared and angry than be entertained?

Apparently, not so many people.

Vagabond

The Oz ads were probably similar.
From my own limited experience watching television in Philadelphia, I would say double volume, no, but scary or infuriating, yes. I was particularly struck by his "right to life" stance, which was at odds with his previous support for choice.

Louis

Private citizen
I don’t think it’s funny at all that a candidate with questionable cognitive ability got elected to a six-year Senate seat because he hired some "clever" Gen Z trolls. It harkens back to people who voted for Bush because they felt like they could have a beer with him, etc.

caseyedwards

I don’t think it’s funny at all that a candidate with questionable cognitive ability got elected to a six-year Senate seat because he hired some "clever" Gen Z trolls. It harkens back to people who voted for Bush because they felt like they could have a beer with him, etc.
So true. I mean the twitter accounts posts did not reflect the cognitive impairment of the person supposedly posting them. They were actually a kind of fraud if you ask me!

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Staff member
Actually that underlines he had good cognitive ability and judgement because it obviously helped him get elected. :shuffle:

Karen-W

Neither sexy nor sultry, but loving life!
Actually that underlines he had good cognitive ability and judgement because it obviously helped him get elected. :shuffle:
Or that his campaign manager did... A campaign manager who, I'm sure, was hired pre-stroke. :rolleyes:

Cachoo

I would've voted for him for his party affiliation alone. Even before Trump the Senate Republicans were known for doing nothing except trying to stop Democrats. Mitch McConnell has been like seeping mold growing in the senate chambers. I believe for many it was not about his not clever ads but the do nothingness of the other side. I am glad to know he is recovering.

caseyedwards

I would've voted for him for his party affiliation alone. Even before Trump the Senate Republicans were known for doing nothing except trying to stop Democrats. Mitch McConnell has been like seeping mold growing in the senate chambers. I believe for many it was not about his not clever ads but the do nothingness of the other side. I am glad to know he is recovering.
Before trump senate republicans were passing immigration reform -amnesty -which caused trump

Last edited:

olympic

@Louis - Fetterman does not have 'questionable cognitive ability'. He had a stroke and he will recover.

If for some reason he does not, he will either resign, be pressed to resign by his family, the D party, or the public at large, and a new election will be held according to the law in PA.

ETA - A few RW trolls have gone after his wife Gisele for stepping in and making comments w re to the political situation. People that think something is up have never had a Latin spouse; they are fiercer defenders of family than anyone I've encountered before my own nuptials :)

once_upon

Enough
If we disqualify someone for health issues to serve for 6 years, shouldn't we disqualify someone who was elected for 6 years but leaves before the term is up for a more lucrative job (ie pays much more), or someone - like Chuck Grassley who is closer to death than most members of Congress?

Fetterman was elected over Oz. That speaks to how Oz was perceived by the voters. If Republicans had chosen someone else, maybe Fetterman would not have won. But Pennsylvania Republicans selected Oz. Partly on name recognition

jeffisjeff

The Fetterman debate is so stupid and clearly most poster's views on this are driven largely by politics. The ONLY people who really know about his ability to do the job are those closest to him, including his physician. Everyone else making declarations about his competence is just an arm chair hacks doctor.

Louis

Private citizen
None of has us independent medical information, which the campaign refused to release, so we’re left to draw our own conclusions. We don’t know who or what will be representing PA in the Senate.

The arguments in favor of Fetterman are the exact arguments Trump supporters made and why we may end up with Trump yet again. Easy to ask others to put country over party while never actually doing it yourself.

olympic

None of has us independent medical information, which the campaign refused to release, so we’re left to draw our own conclusions. We don’t know who or what will be representing PA in the Senate.

The arguments in favor of Fetterman are the exact arguments Trump supporters made and why we may end up with Trump yet again. Easy to ask others to put country over party while never actually doing it yourself.
No comparison my friend. Trump was a greater danger to democracy than Fetterman ever will be.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Fetterman was elected over Oz. That speaks to how Oz was perceived by the voters. If Republicans had chosen someone else, maybe Fetterman would not have won. But Pennsylvania Republicans selected Oz. Partly on name recognition
Well it was kind of like that anyone supported by Trump did poorly and was one of the reasons why the Republicans just managed to gain the House when they should have romped it in. I was listening to a podcast that went through the percentages but it was definitely not good for those who denied the 2020 results.

Gee it is almost as if the voters when their vote had relevance (not just strongly Dem or Rep) really thought about who they were voting for.

caseyedwards

Well it was kind of like that anyone supported by Trump did poorly and was one of the reasons why the Republicans just managed to gain the House when they should have romped it in. I was listening to a podcast that went through the percentages but it was definitely not good for those who denied the 2020 results.

Gee it is almost as if the voters when their vote had relevance (not just strongly Dem or Rep) really thought about who they were voting for.
If you asked republicans if they regret dumping people like butler and meijer my guess is they would say no. The Republican Party is going through its worst civil war in its entire 170 year history and they still won the house. Of course this has benefited democrats In many races but many Republican voters don’t want Bush McCain Romney anymore. They don’t want to be kindler and gentler and just moderate to liberal on domestic issues while being psycho neocon on foreign policy

ilovepaydays

Everytime Herschel Walker opens his mouth, any cogent argument for voting against Fetterman due to his condition goes bye-bye. Walker probably has CTE, which is harrowing and will only get worse, while Fetterman's condition may improve.

The problems with Herschel Walker are that 1) he’s clearly a bad candidate - and 2) that Republicans in freaking Georgia should have had better options.

If you look at the results from Georgia from the general election earlier this month, Brian Kemp (Governor) did about 203K votes better than Herschel Walker did. That’s A LOT of people that had no problem voting for at least one Republican that just couldn’t do it with Walker.

I actually don’t think the abortion stories are what hurt Walker that much. I do think the stuff about the “newly discovered” illegitimate children and his son Christian’s Twitter videos are a different story, though.

BTW, Brad Raffensperger (Secretary of State) did about as well as Brian Kemp did, and if you remember from 2020 - Raffensperger was berated by Trump because Trump had lost Georgia wanted more votes. Raffensperger stood his ground - and Republicans in Georgia ended up supporting him. So Republicans in Georgia can clearly win statewide elections. 🤔

Maybe for 2026, Republicans in Georgia should find a popular State legislator or a businessperson to run against Ossoff. Or they can convince Brian Kemp to run - I believe he will be term limited in staying Governor.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

No one prevented kemp and raffensperger republicans from running. Imagine the huge landslide Geoff Duncan would have had if he kept his idea of running for senate? But he chose to make money being professional never trump. Very easy to see Duncan beating walker by 50 points too. Maybe walker never even runs in that scenario

ilovepaydays

No one prevented kemp and raffensperger republicans from running. Imagine the huge landslide Geoff Duncan would have had if he kept his idea of running for senate? But he chose to make money being professional never trump. Very easy to see Duncan beating walker by 50 points too. Maybe walker never even runs in that scenario

Brian Kemp was actually challenged by David Perdue in the Republican Gubernatorial primary and won by 50%. I think David could have run to get back in the Senate but he stupidly got enticed by Trump to run against Kemp. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I think enough Republicans in Georgia drank the stupid juice and thought Herschel Walker would appeal based on being a football hero for UGA. But haven’t a lot of Heisman winners ended up as duds - both inside and outside of football?

PRlady

Brian Kemp was actually challenged by David Perdue in the Republican Gubernatorial primary and won by 50%. I think David could have run to get back in the Senate but he stupidly got enticed by Trump to run against Kemp. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I think enough Republicans in Georgia drank the stupid juice and thought Herschel Walker would appeal based on being a football hero for UGA. But haven’t a lot of Heisman winners ended up as duds - both inside and outside of football?
Stop talking about OJ Simpson that way.

peibeck

Simply looking
Even after a stroke, I'd assess Fetterman's cognitive ability higher than Herschel Walker, Marjorie Taylor Greene, and Donald Trump's combined when it comes to having even the slightest knowledge about governance heading into a major political office.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

Perdue was building a million dollar mansion in Georgia. He even spent most of the time while he was “running for governor” advising the construction. He didn’t seem to have any interest in electoral politics anymore. Who knows why he ran for governor. Maybe it had to do with the construction? Trying to get lower prices by promising more work he would give as governor. The whole thing is suspicious.

Everyone in DC was even trying to get Loeffler for some reason. No doubt the worst politician ever including Martha mcsally

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Has anyone claiming that Fetterman is incapable of doing the job actually listened to interviews with him in the last month? Not the debate, which was always going to be the most challenging circumstance for someone in his position, but any regularly conducted interview? Because there is nothing wrong with Fetterman's cognative ability. He has some speech difficulties, which do not disqualify him from holding office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information