US elections 2021-2022

Louis

Private citizen
It's a global problem only because far too many countries followed the lead of lockdowns + stimulus to pay able-bodied people to do nothing, and have played right into Russia and China's hands with "green" policies that equate to unilateral economic disarmament. Fortunately, the US has an example at home of how different things might have been in Ron DeSantis, whose state is near-uniformly happy with his performance and re-elected him by record margins. Make America Florida!

Tesla

Whippet Good
It's a global problem only because far too many countries followed the lead of lockdowns + stimulus to pay able-bodied people to do nothing, and have played right into Russia and China's hands with "green" policies that equate to unilateral economic disarmament. Fortunately, the US has an example at home of how different things might have been in Ron DeSantis, whose state is near-uniformly happy with his performance and re-elected him by record margins. Make America Florida!
Very easy for you to say. You don't live here, so aren't in danger of losing your rights. :angryfire

PRlady

I’m not going to be happy about the many Floridians who are going to lose the only homes they have to hurricanes and climate change. But those who vote for the incredibly short-sighted “drill,baby, drill” crowd, when oil companies are making record profits, might rethink their choices as they look for rentals back in snowy Ohio.

peibeck

Simply looking

The US didn't "lead" the lockdown policy, nor was it ever as strict in the US as it was in other countries like China, Italy, even the U.K. Also most of the shut down was under Trump, not Biden. By the time Biden was elected the unemployment rate had dropped from a high of 14.7% to 6.7% as the US was re-opening. And, let's be honest, one reason DeSantis wanted Florida re-opened so quickly is because Florida's unemployment system itself was so broken that the whole system crashed (and people had to file paper applications which were taking months to process), and the state paid so little percentage of benefits to its claimants that DeSantis was feeling lots of heat from FL residents at the time.

Last edited:

once_upon

Enough
Very easy for you to say. You don't live here, so aren't in danger of losing your rights. :angryfire
He doesn't live here. He has millions which he loves the tax breaks the Republicans give him. He is not a woman.

Last week he was pleased to have checks and balances with a GOP house. This week he wants total control control of SC ✔️ President (DeSantis), Senate (McConnell), and House ✔️

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
I’m not going to be happy about the many Floridians who are going to lose the only homes they have to hurricanes and climate change. But those who vote for the incredibly short-sighted “drill,baby, drill” crowd, when oil companies are making record profits, might rethink their choices as they look for rentals back in snowy Ohio.
Florida has long been a real estate scam disguised as a state.

Reprinted from the Miami Herald

[in Florida]
Some 2.4 million people and 1.3 million homes, nearly half the risk nationwide, sit within 4 feet of the local high tide line. Sea level rise is more than doubling the risk of a storm surge at this level in South Florida by 2030. For the hundreds of thousands of Floridians holding 30-year mortgages, that date is not far off in the future.

Now it has evolved into a trap baited with warm winter weather, where many people will lose their homes, money, and perhaps their lives, to the rising seas.

Louis

Private citizen

It's a big state, and there are plenty of areas that will be less affected by climate change regardless of its cause. Housing is also relatively affordable, at least compared to the northeast. Rebuilding a house in Florida every ten years is probably cheaper than having a one-bedroom apartment in Manhattan, which might also end up underwater (at least on the west side).

All that said, I wouldn't buy property in Miami or especially the Florida Keys, and I am against subsidizing anyone who does from today onwards. You buy it, you take the risk. If you can't get insurance, your problem. The fair market value of property in parts of the Keys should probably be similar to a timeshare -- it's yours to enjoy for 10-20 years, at which point it will be wiped out and you need to look elsewhere.

Sparks

Reprinted from the Miami Herald

[in Florida]

Now it has evolved into a trap baited with warm winter weather, where many people will lose their homes, money, and perhaps their lives, to the rising seas.
Hurricane Ian showed this well. The community of https://babcockranch.com/ never lost power and sustained minimal damage.
Their secret? They're WOKE. ;)

Louis

Private citizen
So, the House Republicans get a razor-thin majority and this is the first thing they are focused on?

I do think media bias is a huge problem that needs to be addressed. I have serious concerns that this story was deliberately suppressed by the media, and it would be good to get to the truth and have the facts out in the open. We need to set the record straight, and the people ridiculed and shamed for telling the truth deserve apologies. Maybe it's not the first thing Republicans should do, but it needs to be on a short list.

ilovepaydays

once_upon

Enough
So, the House Republicans get a razor-thin majority and this is the first thing they are focused on?

Inflation?
Gas prices?
The border?
Crime?
China?
Russia?

NAH!

Good gawd, they are still drunk on the stupid juice.
No one needs to be surprised. They told what they were going to do for the next 2 years.
McCarthy said it, Jordan said it, MTG said it, Boebert said it.
They didn't lie. People knew what they would do.

Amy L

Her lead went from 25K votes in 2020 to 500 in 2022. Part of the reason is redistricting and another part is that she's a whackadoodle. Her district isn't a solid red wall like MTG's, so it shows that she may actually need to do a real job and not just tour around CPAC events with her "comedy" routine. I doubt she'll learn from this, but maybe the DNC should put in some resources there during in the next two years.

skatingguy

I do think media bias is a huge problem that needs to be addressed. I have serious concerns that this story was deliberately suppressed by the media, and it would be good to get to the truth and have the facts out in the open. We need to set the record straight, and the people ridiculed and shamed for telling the truth deserve apologies. Maybe it's not the first thing Republicans should do, but it needs to be on a short list.
The problem was that the Hunter Biden laptop story didn't fit into the media narrative. For the two years building to the election the media narrative was that Joe Biden was doddering fool in the grips of dementia, and so to turn around pretty close to the election & start telling everyone he's a criminal mastermind at the head of international syndicate was a stretch, and would only serve to muddy the water for the electorate.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I have read many stories about Hunter Biden's laptop. So as usual, the claims that the MSM isn't covering something political is bogus.

The main takeaway I have from those stories, btw, is that there is no documented chain of custody. Which makes its contents completely irrelevant for anything but convincing people who are already convinced that something is there. They certainly wouldn't hold up in a court of law.

caseyedwards

I have read many stories about Hunter Biden's laptop. So as usual, the claims that the MSM isn't covering something political is bogus.

The main takeaway I have from those stories, btw, is that there is no documented chain of custody. Which makes its contents completely irrelevant for anything but convincing people who are already convinced that something is there. They certainly wouldn't hold up in a court of law.
You don’t believe he dropped them off and didn’t pick them up?

I get it you believe the repair shop owner may have given the laptops to Russian intelligence who then planted things on them.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I get it you believe the repair shop owner may have given the laptops to Russian intelligence who then planted things on them.
No, I don't believe that. I believe what people have admitted to as happening. Which is that they passed the laptop around. And that experts that looked at it could see that someone had altered some of the contents on the disk.

Once they passed it around, it was toast as far as proof of anything is concerned.

Amy L

The problem was that the Hunter Biden laptop story didn't fit into the media narrative. For the two years building to the election the media narrative was that Joe Biden was doddering fool in the grips of dementia, and so to turn around pretty close to the election & start telling everyone he's a criminal mastermind at the head of international syndicate was a stretch, and would only serve to muddy the water for the electorate.
Not just Joe, but Hunter too. He's a crackhead that can't do anything except play on pool slides with hookers and live off his dad's name. But apparently his laptop has proof of everything from info that a Chinese lab spread covid on purpose to campaign meddling to the lists of all the baby eating lizard people in the Illuminati. Who would give that kind of information to Hunter freaking Biden while he was on a bender?

If Team Insurrection actually wanted to investigate Hunter, they would have done it already. Rudy claims he has it. MTG claims her husband knows whats on it. Apparently copies of his hard drive are in the grubby little hands of the GOP. But they held all these supposed bombshells through the election. Through Jan 6. Through the midterms. Through Trump's campaign announcement. Instead of that, they waited on a dramatic kangaroo trial. They think this will be their Jan 6 committee, but putting it in the hands of their Whackadoodles will do nothing but cost millions of dollars on theatrics and rambling nonsense. This will be Benghazi with added QAnon.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Well they only have a year to do this as half of them will be campaigning for their 2024 election. And with the DOJ appointing a special council regarding MAL, that's going to compete for media attention, which is what they hoped for. Poor Donald loses again. And, he'll have to split funding from the RNC with all those other candidates coming out of the woodwork to run against him. And, all his other court cases are proceeding right along. Going to be a busy two years.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter

Inflation?
Gas prices?
The border?
Crime?
China?
Russia?

NAH!

Good gawd, they are still drunk on the stupid juice.
Yep that's it. Where is the laptop? No-one has seen it. That is all they are going to focus on for the next 2 years. Not doing the jobs they are paid to do and not working on fixing up all the things they have been complaining about.

It is just deflection from they fact they are useless and will not govern to help the majority of Americans who need it.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Two counties, Cochise ( Congressional District AZ 2, AZ 6) and Mohave (AZ 1, AZ 4), have refused to certify the election. They are heavily Republican. If they still refuse to certify by the due date, Arizona law says none of their votes will be counted (on tv tonight).

This will have an effect on vote totals, and even may affect who wins, if the counties are so dumb that they don't certify on time.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

The republicans who voted for begich and then no one else. Did they know what they were doing? Did this ranked choice prevent republicans from unifying around palin or were they hoping begich would somehow overtake her? If she had won a normal primary and had a normal general election. Would this have been the same result? There is just too much hatred of palin? She was never going to win and too many voting for begich were never going to vote for her or a democrat. Well in 2024 everyone will be able
To see if begich can beat peltola. She is just far too liberal for Alaska. Hard to imagine her beating anyone but palin. But I mean murkowski is now voting all the time with sanders and warren so something is up in Alaska

Murkowski hasn’t cast one conservative vote in the past 6 months

Last edited:

Dobre

"In a win for voters, the Georgia Supreme Court REJECTS a Republican request to block early voting on Sat. Nov. 26 for the Senate runoff election. At least 22 Georgia counties will offer early voting this Saturday. More info to come."

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Speaking of Georgia, 75% of my SPAM folder are emails with appeals to send money to get Herschel Walker elected in Georgia. I don't understand this. The Dems have the Senate. Herschel Walker getting elected is not going to change that. Are they just drifting for cash or are they really motivated to get another seat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information