US elections 2021-2022

Susan1

This was on CNN again just now.

Disgusting.

(Ohio, but not close to me. I checked my Voters Guide. We don't have any contested races for school board or city council. If there were, I'd go vote for a Democrat.)

caseyedwards

Race equity was fine for decades! Decades. But that has morphed into whites are always racist because they are unconsciously racist.

caseyedwards

Uhhh ... whut?? You're saying that racism is not a thing?? :yikes:
What is being taught now is whites are always racist not just that supporting Jim Crow or segregation is racist. There are whites who are aggressively racist and whites who are “unconsciously” racist. There is no white person who is not racist. That is being taught to all white kids. If there is a group of whites in charge of anything they will be racist. Do you support kids being taught about being unconsciously racist?

That’s not it either! Because all whites are unconsciously racist policies must be put in place to elevate nonwhites regardless of any merit

jenny12

What is being taught now is whites are always racist not just that supporting Jim Crow or segregation is racist. There are whites who are aggressively racist and whites who are “unconsciously” racist. There is no white person who is not racist. That is being taught to all white kids. If there is a group of whites in charge of anything they will be racist. Do you support kids being taught about being unconsciously racist?

That’s not it either! Because all whites are unconsciously racist policies must be put in place to elevate nonwhites regardless of any merit

It is not about whether individual white people are all racist, it is about systems. Unconscious bias or racism is something that is imbedded within all of us because of how institutions like the legal system have been built. What white people need to learn is to not take the critiques of these systems personally and learn that the only way to reduce unconscious bias is to become aware of it.

skatingguy

It is not about whether individual white people are all racist, it is about systems. Unconscious bias or racism is something that is imbedded within all of us because of how institutions like the legal system have been built. What white people need to learn is to not take the critiques of these systems personally and learn that the only way to reduce unconscious bias is to become aware of it.
I'm sure you mean well @jenny12, but arguing facts with @caseyedwards is pointless. They're not interested in a discussion of issues they're just trolling.

caseyedwards

You are wrong. Teaching kids they are unconsciously racist is not about systems at all it’s about a kid being an evil monster racist unless they act certain ways. And what are those ways?

ballettmaus

No kidding.

Speaking of Glenn Youngkin, I'm reading that he's put out an ad where a white mother talks about her teenage son having been traumatized by a book about slavery. While what happened to slaves was traumatizing and should shock everyone who learns about it, this is not what the ad is about and I find it weird that anyone would think it's a good idea to put out an ad like that, in the final weeks of a campaign no less. On the other hand, I guess, this is the audience they're speaking to now. I can just hope that it continues to be a losing strategy.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
No kidding.

Speaking of Glenn Youngkin, I'm reading that he's put out an ad where a white mother talks about her teenage son having been traumatized by a book about slavery. While what happened to slaves was traumatizing and should shock everyone who learns about it, this is not what the ad is about and I find it weird that anyone would think it's a good idea to put out an ad like that, in the final weeks of a campaign no less. On the other hand, I guess, this is the audience they're speaking to now. I can just hope that it continues to be a losing strategy.

The Post wrote about this today. The book is Toni Morrison's Beloved. Youngkin is making a lot of his campaign based on the idea of "parental rights" and when he was governor Terry McAuliffe apparently vetoed a bill to allow parents to opt out of having their child read it.

So Youngkin is claiming McAuliffe is against parental rights. But as McAuliffe is now saying, its no coincidence that the book at the center of the campaign is by a Black woman author and about slavery. The Post quotes McAuliffe, "In the final week of this race, Glenn Youngkin has doubled down on the same divisive culture wars that have fueled his campaign from the very beginning." Youngkin’s closing message of book banning and silencing esteemed Black authors is a racist dog whistle designed to gin up support from the most extreme elements of his party."

I think that a lot of people are just going to hear that Youngkin is trying to ban Beloved and people will assume he's the extremist he's been trying to pretend not to be. So good for him for taking his b.s. about parental rights right on over to an appeal to racism. It won't help him with the voters he's been trying to fool and may motivate some to come out and vote against him.

caseyedwards

I’m very surprised Beloved moved into high schools! Because of the content. Rape infanticide torture ghost sex with basically a baby in adults body lol! My ap English was long days journey into night heart of darkness king Lear etc. so yes they increased the difficulty on one hand but also extreme content. Nothing wrong with permission slip for that! I talked about permission slip for American history X Ap social studies

MacMadame

Doing all the things
He sends me emails for some reason. They seem desperate with subject lines like "We're losing!!!" To which I say: Good and then delete them.

Wyliefan

Trying to appease the skategods
The Post wrote about this today. The book is Toni Morrison's Beloved. Youngkin is making a lot of his campaign based on the idea of "parental rights" and when he was governor Terry McAuliffe apparently vetoed a bill to allow parents to opt out of having their child read it.
As I understand it, opting out was already allowed. The bill would have required schools to notify parents beforehand when a book contained explicit sexual content.

caseyedwards

Some people say they are concerned about the sexual content in Beloved, but the real problem they have is that the horrors of slavery are revealed.
Teenagers in an AP class should be able handle the story

The main violence in the book is more slavery adjacent? A woman killing one child by cutting its throat and injuring two others the same way while then failing to smash another against a wall.

Sparks

Beloved is a 1987 novel by the American writer Toni Morrison. Set after the American Civil War, it tells the story of a family of former slaves whose Cincinnati home is haunted by a malevolent spirit. Beloved is inspired by a true-life incident involving Margaret Garner, an escaped slave from Kentucky who fled to the free state of Ohio in 1856, but was captured in accordance with the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850. When U.S. marshals burst into the cabin where Garner and her husband had barricaded themselves, they found that she had killed her two-year-old daughter and was attempting to kill her other children to spare them from being returned to slavery.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Wow and who are the ones that get their knickers in a knot about cancel culture?

ballettmaus

I find that idea strange anyway. A curriculum is a curriculum. Why would or should parents be allowed to have a say in what is taught? They made the decision to send their child to school and not home school, period. If I seek medical care, I don't tell the nurse or doctor which tools to use while examining me either or if my computer is broken, I don't tell the repair person what they can or can't use to fix it either, for the simple reason that they're the expert and I'm not. Likewise when it comes to school.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I find that idea strange anyway. A curriculum is a curriculum. Why would or should parents be allowed to have a say in what is taught? They made the decision to send their child to school and not home school, period. If I seek medical care, I don't tell the nurse or doctor which tools to use while examining me either or if my computer is broken, I don't tell the repair person what they can or can't use to fix it either, for the simple reason that they're the expert and I'm not. Likewise when it comes to school.

I don't know. A lot of progressives object to what is taught in schools in conservative parts of the country, trying to get it changed to be accurate when it comes to history or to cover evolution in science classes. Parents in those areas who are progressive might want to influence the curriculum.

I think that there are opportunities for parents and other citizens to give input and that's good. It does seem like it could create a lot of difficulty for teachers if parents could regularly remove their child from various lessons or studies throughout the school year.

But its become a focal point for the so-called culture wars, for conservatives who feel that everything their kids are exposed to has a liberal bias. So its now a political fight and Youngkin is attempting to ride that to more votes by grandstanding about it and subtly appealing to white resentment by making it about a book by a Black woman writer about slavery.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I don't know. A lot of progressives object to what is taught in schools in conservative parts of the country, trying to get it changed to be accurate when it comes to history or to cover evolution in science classes. Parents in those areas who are progressive might want to influence the curriculum.
Opting your kid out of the teaching of a particular book is not influencing the curriculum though.

My group influences the curriculum all the time. We helped the school district diversify the English curriculum expanding the supplemental reading list and worked with other groups to get a requirement to take Ethnic Studies to graduate High School passed in the legislature. That's what influencing the curriculum looks like. It doesn't look like signing a paper to say your kid needs to be given an alternative book to the one being taught in class.

caseyedwards

There is still a real question about Beloved that could be explored in a classroom setting. When Paul D has sex with Beloved and impregnates her he is impregnating a woman who is really a grown version of the baby Sethe killed. She hasn’t mentally matured at all. Paul D first thinks she’s a woman driven insane by slavery.

jenny12

Some people say they are concerned about the sexual content in Beloved, but the real problem they have is that the horrors of slavery are revealed.
Teenagers in an AP class should be able handle the story

Agreed. While I didn't read Beloved in high school, we did read Song of Solomon. I still remember it as one of the most affecting novels I read in high school and read it again in college and on my own. Ultimately, it is about how the material is taught. I agree that teenagers can handle the story and teachers could just provide context and prepare the students for the material they are about to read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information