US elections 2021-2022

Susan1

Except elections are run by the States so there will never be uniformity.

Also, no one change will work for everyone. So I support having as many different ways of making voting easier.

I don't know why you are so dead-set against having Election Day be a national holiday. Since you don't work and since some things will remain open, it's not going to impact you much if at all.
So if it was a national holiday, that would make it all uniform? It wouldn't affect me one way or the other. All the years I was working, I went before or after work. I never did absentee voting till last year - because of the c.v.

I just keep answering people's arguments. I'm still allowed to have an opinion. So what if someone went to a gas station one time on Thanksgiving. That has nothing to do with the reasons it would not be feasible or equitable. And how it wouldn't really help the people who already have trouble voting, because they are the ones who would still have to be at their jobs.

Vagabond

The bill, backed by Joe Manchin, would maek Election Day a national holiday, require all states to offer same-day registration by 2024, and require all states to offer at least 15 days of early voting.

Manchin has sworn up and down that he could get ten Republican senators to allow a vote on the bill, but none has expressed any willingness to do so.

:watch:

Susan1

I think so. And, as several have said, including me, it would also contribute to a culture where voting was considered important.
I still don't understand why nobody gets my point. National holiday = voting is important? So who doesn't have to work so they can all go vote on the same day? What level of "holiday" is it? Monday was a national holiday. Only schools, banks, government, etc. were off, just like on the national holidays of Veterans Day and Martin Luther King Day and Presidents Day. Or a holiday like Memorial Day and Labor Day where offices are also closed, but all the stores and restaurants do a good business (before the c.v.) because people don't have to work? Or a holiday like Thanksgiving and Christmas where most major shopping is closed (hopefully). Would people who don't work in 40 hour a week jobs (stores, drug stores, restaurants, etc.) get paid for the day off even if they weren't scheduled to work that day? Those are the people that have the hardest time getting time off to vote. Hospitals have been mentioned. Would doctors and dentists be closed for the holiday? So what is everyone's solution? Instead of giving me random examples where people have to work on various holidays to prove me wrong?

If any of these people have to work, is voting not supposed to be important to them? They would have to have the post office open for people's ballots to get there at the last minute. And I don't think all of the people in all of the places that collect and count the votes on Election day are volunteers, are they? It wouldn't be a holiday for them.

Aren't Indigenous People important? If they didn't work in the government, library, bank, etc., they didn't get off Monday. Same with veterans. Call Election Day a national holiday. But who will not have to work so that they can go vote?

It's a very lofty "let's be patriotic" idea. I guess I just think in practicalities.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I still don't understand why nobody gets my point.
I get your point just fine. I just disagree with it. Strongly.

Making it a National Holiday is a way to get around the fact that it has to be on a weekday (per the constitution which is hard to change) and it works quite well in other countries. There is no reason to think the US is such a special flower that it will not work here to increase voter turnout and increase it substantially.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member

The bill, backed by Joe Manchin, would maek Election Day a national holiday, require all states to offer same-day registration by 2024, and require all states to offer at least 15 days of early voting.

Manchin has sworn up and down that he could get ten Republican senators to allow a vote on the bill, but none has expressed any willingness to do so.

:watch:
Please let this pass. Let's start to fix the problem.

ballettmaus

I came across a social media post that said that the early voting line in Fairfax County was 45 minutes long this afternoon. Hoping that this is a good sign!

I still don't understand why nobody gets my point.
I don't get it because we have many different national holidays in this country and the country continues to work just fine. So, I don't understand why a national holiday on Election Day would suddenly create problems other national holidays are not creating (and that Virginia did not experience in 2020).

It wouldn't make things perfect, of course not. Perfect does not exist. It's also not a "one holiday solves all voting problems" deal. But it would be one (of several) step that would help increase turnout and make it easier/more convenient for some to vote.

Susan1

I don't get it because we have many different national holidays in this country and the country continues to work just fine.
None of you has addressed which kind of national holiday it would be. October 11 was a national holiday. It was not invented for the sole purpose of giving some people the day off to do a certain, specific thing. The only thing different about it was banks, mail, library, government offices, ETC. were closed. It would be in the same month as Veteran's Day, could end up being in the same week, and who gets off work to do something specific that day? So banks, mail, library, etc. would be closed both days? Maybe not have Veterans day be a national holiday too.
make it easier/more convenient for some to vote.
But not the people that are the ones saying they can't vote because they have to work and can't stand in line for hours. Wouldn't they think it's unfair that they have to wait on the people in restaurants and stores, who get the day off to vote,. I think the people arguing about it needing to be a holiday just want another day off (on a Tuesday?) and don't really need that day off to vote. The same people who could take the day off if that's the only time and way they could vote. Or go to their job late, or leave early, anyway. Or vote early or absentee. Do some of the people in the states that only have mail-in voting already get Election day off since it's a national holiday?

The only thing that makes sense would be to make it easier for everyone to vote, not just some. I have to keep repeating the same things because none of these arguments address what I am saying.

I was just sitting here thinking about this and forgot about being in the pan--mic world now. What about all the people who work from home? Do they just not turn on their computers that day, even if they already voted or had no intention of voting? What made me think of that was how it used to be irritating to have to be off on MLK Day when I worked at a bank affiliated mortgage company. No offense to MLK, but it was right after the holidays when people were off at all different times and we were just getting back into the swing of things for the new year, then off on a Monday again. I would have rather had Presidents Day off because it was in February. But these days people can catch up on work at home if they can't go to the office.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
None of you has addressed which kind of national holiday it would be.
How would we know that? The goal is to make it more like Christmas and less like Veteran's Day but it would depend on how people embrace it.

But they tried in Virginia and none of your doom and gloom about how it wouldn't make any difference happened.

I have to keep repeating the same things
But you don't. You really don't.

Susan1

How would we know that? The goal is to make it more like Christmas and less like Veteran's Day but it would depend on how people embrace it.
Apparently, you know that. So like a day religious holiday Christians are supposed to spend with their family? Stores would be closed. Restaurants would be closed. Doctors and dentists offices would be closed. All you could do is go stand in line to vote and then go home? People who already early, absentee or mail-in voted wouldn't have anything to do? Oh, wait, someone mentioned movies being open on Christmas. We'd all do that?
But they tried in Virginia and none of your doom and gloom about how it wouldn't make any difference happened.
I didn't say doom and gloom. Just not fair to people who can't take off work even if it's a holiday. Did everybody in Virginia take Election Day off and all go vote?
But you don't. You really don't.
And people don't have to reply directly to me with the same "we have a lot of holidays" and "it would help people be able to vote" without using real life examples of who and how.

Who specifically would it benefit? Let's help some people vote but not everybody cause it's not perfect, kind of sounds like discrimination. Should people who already voted get to take advantage of this day off that was made a holiday for the one purpose.

I knew someone who worked at Office Depot after he retired. Part time - less than 40 hours. If he didn't want to work on, let's say Election Day, he'd just say don't put me on the schedule. He wouldn't get paid for being off even if it was declared a national holiday. They accrued vacation pay for so many hours worked, not for not working on national holidays, like Memorial Day.

Even when I was a temp, I eventually got holiday pay for the normal holidays like Christmas and Labor Day when the office was closed, if I worked the regular day before and after and if I had worked a certain number of weeks consecutively. If they were closed the day after Thanksgiving, I did not get paid for not being there.

So I'm still asking - who would not have to work on this new national holiday?

Last edited:

Susan1

Well, Susie and Joey and Hui-yi and Jesus and Ahmad and ... ;)

I'm sorry but I'm going to be blunt now... Your objections are ridiculous.
Well, thank you for answering my questions (not objections) on how a new national holiday would get more people to vote.

BTW, you better hope all of these people vote D. Republicans already vote more in person on Election Day than other methods. They'd probably like having the whole day off to do it.

Last edited:

jenny12

The saying don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good seems particularly appropriate here. Sure, a National Holiday would not automatically mean 100% voting. But anything that could get us closer to that and give more people time to vote is a good thing in my book.

Susan1

The saying don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good seems particularly appropriate here. Sure, a National Holiday would not automatically mean 100% voting. But anything that could get us closer to that and give more people time to vote is a good thing in my book.

Nothing is perfect. Now voting isn't perfect. So why change it if it won't make it perfect. The GOP doesn't want more Dems to vote. But more GOP would be able to vote too. Seems like a lot of trouble, and inconvenience for more people than would be helped, for a wash. Last year because of the *********, there was more early voting and mail-in voting and absentee voting, not more people going to the polls. That is what they should make available for everyone.

o.k. - Look what I just found when I put "who would get a day off to vote if it was a holiday" in the search bar. Do I need to pick out specific quotes from the Con list that match what I have been saying for days now?

Susan1

To make it better.
You want to disrupt the whole country for a few people that really won't make a difference in the long run. If those people are so desperate to be able to go to a polling place and vote on a certain day, just give them time off. But then there will be a long line of people who say they need time off to vote, but won't actually vote.

Here I was, thinking you were replying to me, telling me that apparently I was not so "ridiculous" after all. But you want to have a national holiday for yourself, so you belittle me. Write to whoever wrote that article and bluntly tell them they are stupid.

Last edited:

MsZem

You want to disrupt the whole country for a few people that really won't make a difference in the long run. If those people are so desperate to be able to go to a polling place and vote on a certain day, just give them time off. But then there will be a long line of people who say they need time off to vote, but won't actually vote.

Here I was, thinking you were replying to me, telling me that apparently I was not so "ridiculous" after all. But you want to have a national holiday for yourself, so you belittle me. Write to whoever wrote that article and bluntly tell them they are stupid.
Susan, you don't need a day off to vote, but for many people this will be helpful. Making it easier for others to vote has no effect on you - so why does it bother you so much?

As @MacMadame has pointed out, the goal is to get more people to vote, not to find a solution that works for everyone. Other countries hold elections on weekends or have a holiday on Election Day, and this seems to be working nicely in terms of turnout.

Susan1

Susan, you don't need a day off to vote, but for many people this will be helpful. Making it easier for others to vote has no effect on you - so why does it bother you so much?

As @MacMadame has pointed out, the goal is to get more people to vote, not to find a solution that works for everyone. Other countries hold elections on weekends or have a holiday on Election Day, and this seems to be working nicely in terms of turnout.
It doesn't "bother" me. I keep giving examples of who and why it will not help, and all I get back is "because I said so". The "pros" in the article are just general "people think". The "cons" are the examples of "why not", the same things I have said over and over. If the idea of a national holiday is to combat voter suppression, the same people who are being suppressed now would still have to work if it was a national holiday. The people they show standing in line for hours won't be helped by more people standing in line for hours because there aren't enough polling places. Making it a national holiday won't help that.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Write to whoever wrote that article and bluntly tell them they are stupid.
Okay, I will.

I keep giving examples of who and why it will not help, and all I get back is "because I said so".
No, you got back examples of people it would help. It will help people. We know this because we've seen it work elsewhere. I don't know why you are so deadset against this. Holidays change all the time. We add new ones and old ones fade away. It won't "disrupt the entire country" to have an extra day off in November. It's a simple thing we can do that will help a lot of people.

I know if it was a day off, I'd volunteer to take people to the polls or be a poll worker. I can't do that now because I have to work.

But maybe you are right. Let's get rid of ALL holidays. After all, they don't help everyone. Why are we getting Christmas off? I mean not everyone celebrates Christmas. What about the Jewish person sitting home who isn't celebrating? Why should they get a day off? And it's so disruptive to have everyone taking off like that! :rolleyes:

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
Perhaps this discussion needs its own thread? Anyone got anything on this year's elections? :shuffle:
I just heard on NPR that the VA governor‘s race is now a toss-up with what’s his name the Republican candidate having the “momentum” and Dem voters not really motivated to get to the polls. Is this really true?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I just heard that the VA governor ‘s race is now a toss-up with what’s his name the Republican candidate having the “momentum” and Dem voters are not really motivated to get to the polls. Is this really true?

I don't know. I don't believe it though.

Trumpkin is the Republican's name.

It will be an issue of whether Dems come out to vote for sure. No one is fooled by Trumpkin.

OTOH, unfortunately, Terry McAuliffe makes many people want to vomit so its hard.

Susan1

But maybe you are right. Let's get rid of ALL holidays. After all, they don't help everyone. Why are we getting Christmas off? I mean not everyone celebrates Christmas. What about the Jewish person sitting home who isn't celebrating? Why should they get a day off? And it's so disruptive to have everyone taking off like that! :rolleyes:
Your eye rolling is exactly right for that statement. Don't be "ridiculous".

Holidays change all the time. We add new ones and old ones fade away.

If you don't want me to keep using the same examples over and over again, stop saying things that don't make sense.

I know if it was a day off, I'd volunteer to take people to the polls or be a poll worker. I can't do that now because I have to work.
o.k. - now I get it. You want it to be a holiday so YOU don't have to work. Why didn't you just say that in the first place? Don't you have vacation or sick time or personal time or floating days?

VALuvsMKwan

Wandering Goy
I don't know. I don't believe it though.

Trumpkin is the Republican's name.

It will be an issue of whether Dems come out to vote for sure. No one is fooled by Trumpkin.

OTOH, unfortunately, Terry McAuliffe makes many people want to vomit so its hard.
Youngkin to be precise, though what you typed above is not inaccurate and kudos since you typed it twice.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Your eye rolling is exactly right for that statement. Don't be "ridiculous".
That was EXACTLY one of your arguments about a Voting Holiday. Exactly. I'm glad you realize it's ridiculous.

o.k. - now I get it. You want it to be a holiday so YOU don't have to work. Why didn't you just say that in the first place? Don't you have vacation or sick time or personal time or floating days?
Actually, I just thought of that today. I want a holiday so people who have less flexible schedules than me can vote more easily. And because places that do this (or have elections on the weekend) have higher voting rates than we do.

Vagabond

For those of you who want a thread about a national holiday, here you go:

Susan1

That was EXACTLY one of your arguments about a Voting Holiday. Exactly. I'm glad you realize it's ridiculous.

Actually, I just thought of that today. I want a holiday so people who have less flexible schedules than me can vote more easily. And because places that do this (or have elections on the weekend) have higher voting rates than we do.
Last thing and then I'm done. It's like trying to reason with a trumper. me - Like who? you - people, me - which people? you - people.

NOBODY WANTS TO CANCEL CHRISTMAS. It wasn't just invented a year ago so that some people didn't have to go to work.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
The Washington Post says, Glenn Youngkin has failed the test of character.

Next month’s elections in Virginia coincide with a singular moment in U.S. history, in which one major party has turned against accepting the results of free and fair elections. That momentous juncture poses a character test for all Republicans, which turns on this question: Will they stand against the assault on democracy’s most basic precept, or will they tolerate it? Glenn Youngkin, the GOP gubernatorial nominee in Virginia, has failed that character test.

A wealthy private equity executive turned political newcomer, Mr. Youngkin has run what amounts in some ways to a conventional Republican campaign, seeking at once to court rural White conservatives and swing-voting suburban moderates. But he also has indulged and encouraged Republicans who have swallowed former president Donald Trump’s lie that last year’s presidential election was stolen and that American elections are not to be trusted.

Few stances could be more subversive to the American experiment or more corrosive to our pluralistic system’s fundamental legitimacy. Few shine so bright a spotlight on a candidate’s courage and commitment to the Constitution, or lack thereof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information