US elections 2021-2022

ballettmaus

The Virginia gubernatorial race is shaping up to be much closer than previous elections, according to a new poll by the University of Mary Washington and Research America Inc.

The poll found that 48 percent of likely voters back Republican candidate Glenn Youngkin, while 43 percent support former Democratic governor Terry McAuliffe. However, among total registered voters, 46 percent back McAuliffe while 41 percent favor Youngkin.
I'm sorry, what? Please don't tell me people fall for Youngkin's "I'm going to cut your taxes" because he's not going to. He's not going to make anyone's life better and he's not going to move Virginia forward. This is so frustrating! :wall:

caseyedwards

If this is true it’s all because all Virginia democrats are acting like everyone who lives in Virginia is as liberal as AOC and Bernie Sanders

Vagabond

Guess who appears to support Stacey Abrams over Kemp as Georgia's governor:

Any psychotherapist worth his salt would tell Kemp to cut his ties with his narcissistic abuser and practice self-care.

Yazmeen

Shake it then, shake it now, shake it forever
Shared this in the Trump thread, also want to share it here (I have a subscription to WaPo, I can "gift" articles) - "Our Constitutional Crisis is Already Here:" https://wapo.st/3icUQzu

caseyedwards

Any psychotherapist worth his salt would tell Kemp to cut his ties with his narcissistic abuser and practice self-care.
Didn’t kemp do that when he ignored Trumps direct orders to appoint Collins and appointed 2016 nevertrump loeffler to senate?

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Shared this in the Trump thread, also want to share it here (I have a subscription to WaPo, I can "gift" articles) - "Our Constitutional Crisis is Already Here:" https://wapo.st/3icUQzu
Great read.

After reading it I have a simple analogy about Trump supporters.

Apologies to cat lovers. I don't mean to offend cat lovers because I am one. I would hate to think that any cat lover is a Trump supporter. But cat lovers love cats for exactly the same reasons why people hate cats. The qualities that do not endear cats are those same qualities why people love them.

ilovepaydays

Last edited:

ilovepaydays

McAuliffe just said, “I love everyone in Virginia! I’m a lover! Virginia is for lovers!” 🙃

Youngkin is basically a slightly more interesting version of Mike Pence - which I know wouldn’t take much because Pence is literally one of the most boring people on the planet - but still 😴.

If the Republican Party of Virginia knew what they were doing, Virginia would probably still be a purple state and they could win this. We’ll see in November.

I’m still 😒 that this was supposedly the best that the Virginia Democrats could do for this year.

Also, is Chuck Todd always so lame as a debate moderator? 🤔

Last edited:

caseyedwards

Virginia republicans aren’t losing because of Virginia republicans! They are losing because of national republicans. In 2017 Trump type was defeated by Gillespie. In 2009 and 2013 republicans nominated totally normal people

I remember now! When Gillespie said he would crack down on ms 13 in Virginia to appeal to Trump voters that was when all democrats and media said he was a trumpist and that ms13 wasn’t real and a right wing fantasy

Last edited:

ilovepaydays

Virginia republicans aren’t losing because of Virginia republicans! They are losing because of national republicans. In 2017 Trump type was defeated by Gillespie. In 2009 and 2013 republicans nominated totally normal people

The 2017 campaign - Corey Stewart was so nuts that the Trump campaign fired him as a campaign chair and pulled out of Virginia for the 2016 general election (granted, Clinton was probably always likely to win Virginia, but still). I was very happy that Gillespie won that Republican primary.

2013: Cuccinelli was such a weirdo that he was literally the only Republican in Virginia that could have made me thrilled to vote for someone like Terry McAuliffe. I’ll leave it at that.

2009: Bob McDonnell won because, IMHO, the Democrats let Criegh Deeds run one of the stupidest statewide campaigns ever.

caseyedwards

The 2017 campaign - Corey Stewart was so nuts that the Trump campaign fired him as a campaign chair and pulled out of Virginia for the 2016 general election (granted, Clinton was probably always likely to win Virginia, but still). I was very happy that Gillespie won that Republican primary.

2013: Cuccinelli was such a weirdo that he was literally the only Republican in Virginia that could have made me thrilled to vote for someone like Terry McAuliffe. I’ll leave it at that.

2009: Bob McDonnell won because, IMHO, the Democrats let Criegh Deeds run one of the stupidest statewide campaigns ever.
That is why republicans nominated Gillespie and not Stewart! Stewart made Gillespie talk about ms13

Republicans nominated normal people for republicans! Not a trumper among the major candidates. The losers got bad press and damaged the winners! So there is no winning

Last edited:

VALuvsMKwan

Wandering Goy

ballettmaus

Chuck Todd is always lame, whether as a debate moderator, or as an interviewer.
I didn't watch (can't stomach Trump or his supporters in a debate) but I read that Todd asked about vaccine mandates and when Youngkin said he didn't support them, Todd reportedly caught him off-guard by asking if Youngkin also doesn't support any of the other vaccine mandates.

ilovepaydays

The latest McAuliffe ads are showing that they are probably getting panicked - especially this one - which the Washington Post has called “four Pinocchios” for how false it is.

Also, I’m wondering to what extent this comment is hurting McAuliffe. Almost every parent I know (and they aren’t exactly GOPers) are angry about it.

I think the Democrats are still favored to win this as of right now, but they are making it way harder then they need to. IMO, Glenn Youngkin is basically a peanut butter sandwich that almost no one (not wealthy) in Virginia knew existed until about six months ago. I think the only Republican more boring than Youngkin right now is literally Mike Pence. Maybe Senators Chuck Grassley (Iowa) or John Cornyn (Texas).

sk8pics

I heard recently that Grassley is running again, and I am actually glad to hear this. One of his competitors is someone I know who is a big Trumpster and the thought of him being elected was scary to me.

olympic

Emerson College poll - Virginia Governor (10/05/21)

DANG. McAuliffe is ahead 49% to 48% overall. Youngkin is slightly ahead in the suburbs 49% to 48% and is leading among Hispanic voters 55% to 45%. McAuliffe is only leading women 51% to 45% and black voters 75% to 25%.

🍿🍺
IDK

I've never seen 25% of the AA vote for a white, Trumpian Republican actually pan out in an election. Trump made in-roads among Latinos but did not win them even in FL by double-digits, where the Latino vote is conservative, so I would need to see more polling

ballettmaus

I just remembered that Northam signed a bill last year that made Election Day a holiday. I don't know if it just made Election Day in 2020 a holiday but if it made it a holiday in general then I wonder if and how it might change the equation.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I just remembered that Northam signed a bill last year that made Election Day a holiday. I don't know if it just made Election Day in 2020 a holiday but if it made it a holiday in general then I wonder if and how it might change the equation.
It really is silly having election days during the week when people have to work. If should be a holiday as it gives everyone an opportunity to vote. But the Republicans wouldn't want that.

caseyedwards

Many businesses do not close even on holidays. So it wouldn’t even effect most people unless businesses treated it like thanksgiving or Christmas which i am guessing they wouldn’t

Vagabond

It really is silly having election days during the week when people have to work. If should be a holiday as it gives everyone an opportunity to vote. But the Republicans wouldn't want that.
The Constitution requires that Federal elections take place on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November, and state constitutions generally follow the Federal rule.

When the Constitution was adopted, the franchise was generally restricted to white men aged twenty-one and older who owned real property. Such men could usually Take a day or two off to go into town if necessary and vote. As the franchise expanded, the Constitution could have been amended to accommodate the schedules of the expanded electorate, but it never has been. Amending the U.S. Constitution is a very involved process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information