US elections 2021-2022

caseyedwards

It is funny though that mccauliffe DID forget to sign his candidacy form and that two people signed it saying that they wintnessed him sign it. Lol lol!! That’s all facts.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
The McAuliffe lawsuit by the GOPs is pretty entertaining even though it's going nowhere. They want him disqualified for a technicality, while at the same time McAuliffe can claim they can't disqualify him for a technicality because of a technicality.

Technicalities for all! :lol:

ballettmaus

It is funny though that mccauliffe DID forget to sign his candidacy form and that two people signed it saying that they wintnessed him sign it. Lol lol!! That’s all facts.

So is this (from the WaPo article)
The section of Virginia law cited by the GOP doesn’t specifically mention a signature. It states that a candidate’s “declaration shall be acknowledged before some officer who has the authority to take acknowledgments to deeds, or attested by two witnesses who are qualified voters of the election district.”

Similarly, the candidate form itself requires that the declaration either be “acknowledged before a notary” or “witnessed before two persons” who are registered and qualified to vote. It does not state a requirement that the candidate physically sign the form.

caseyedwards

So is this (from the WaPo article)
There is clearly a place for a signature on the form though and it doesn’t say optional. Looking at the form it’s not clear why you wouldn’t sign it especially if other people - the witnesses- are. It’s a classic print name sign name form. They say they made a clerical error. You can “cure” ballots why not a declaration form?

caseyedwards

Again, the Virginia law cited doesn't mention a signature.
I get that! But why is it on the form? I mean what are the witnesses witnessing? The way the law is written indicates the candidate can actually have nothing to do with the declaration form at all

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
It clearly says they're witnessing the declaration not the signature. You can make one without the other independently if there is no additional notation referencing the specifics of the signature, and apparently in this case there isn't.

caseyedwards

Hershel walker was really just a few days away from being an OJ Simpson. He’s OJ Simpson without a murder. But he was never charged with a crime much less served any time in prison. Is it possible all these new charges could lead to him being charged with crimes?

Here you have a person who days away from killing 3 women and he could be republicans senate candidate in Georgia?

Loeffler was able to win the Republican primary in 2020 because she had Trumps endorsement but lost because she turned out to be worst retail politician of all time and a criminal in her own right- but only insider trading not stalking possible murder

olympic

clairecloutier

A bright spot - Dem pick-up in NH -

That is kind of a big deal. My brother (who is Dem) lives in Bedford NH and he’s described it as being pretty Republican.

@olympic There was an interesting opinion piece in WaPo yesterday that touched on some of the issues with the press that you’ve been pointing out lately.

olympic

That is kind of a big deal. My brother (who is Dem) lives in Bedford NH and he’s described it as being pretty Republican.

@olympic There was an interesting opinion piece in WaPo yesterday that touched on some of the issues with the press that you’ve been pointing out lately.

Thank you, but it's behind a paywall :(

I think small elections like this are important. The article that I linked notes that the Ds won in a reddish area by organizing like hell and driving turnout. This means to me that you need to turnout your base, do not waste time on fence-sitters.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Thank you, but it's behind a paywall :(

I think small elections like this are important. The article that I linked notes that the Ds won in a reddish area by organizing like hell and driving turnout. This means to me that you need to turnout your base, do not waste time on fence-sitters.

Isn't part of the issue, what is the base?

I feel like I am the Democratic base. And I am a super duper voter that votes in every little teeny tiny election ever for over 40 years. Yet sometimes I feel disrespected, and told that folks whose only political connections appear to be Twitter likes or rallies are really the base, are really the future and really .... well, I'm sure they might feel disrespected when I say, hold up, wait a minute, y'all thought I was finished? ;)

I am perfectly willing to vote for those who are labeled "progressive". I would hope those so labeled are equally willing to vote for someone labeled "moderate".

Getting out all the base. :)

olympic

Isn't part of the issue, what is the base?

I feel like I am the Democratic base. And I am a super duper voter that votes in every little teeny tiny election ever for over 40 years. Yet sometimes I feel disrespected, and told that folks whose only political connections appear to be Twitter likes or rallies are really the base, are really the future and really .... well, I'm sure they might feel disrespected when I say, hold up, wait a minute, y'all thought I was finished? ;)

I am perfectly willing to vote for those who are labeled "progressive". I would hope those so labeled are equally willing to vote for someone labeled "moderate".

Getting out all the base. :)
Good question. My statement was about focusing on your base which includes a lot of sometimes voters, rather than those who try to persuade those undecided and certain Indies who do lean Republican, but some feel are 'persuadable' because Trump is rancid.

I think the base would be those who regularly vote for your party but sometimes don't come out for smaller elections including mid-terms.

olympic

I did not bother to read the article because I don't find him interesting, but if he is serious about a 3rd party, he would begin working at a very local level, draft volunteers across the country and prepare a party platform. OTOH, It is quite stupid to just announce yourself as a 3rd party Presidential candidate every 4 years. In fact, it hurt the country x2 in the last 20+ years - 2000 and 2016 when that is done

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
AFAIK The problem was the same the KKK used back in the day. Threats to his entire family and the need to hire personal security.

caseyedwards

What they don’t seem to realize I believe is that with their ideology Trump types are the most logical to join with them. Only by changing their ideology-perhaps by becoming pro amnesty like Reagan was- can they end trump types power.

Like Gonzales was an anti dreamer amnesty person but pro agricultural workers amnesty person

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
OH pundits are actually yelling at each other on tonight's weekly talk show about the GOP's continued gerrymandering because of the maps they submitted this week. Reporters are saying they are unconstitutional and the Governor and Secretary of State who are part of the map drawing committee even commented that the maps may be unconstitutional. They drew the maps as they always have as if there is no mandate from the voters (75%) to do them otherwise. They completely ignored it and shamelessly did what they always do.

There is a man in Cincinnati who has won awards for his work on the map making and he was able to draw the maps so they fit the constitutional guidelines just fine to show them that it can be done, because GOPs play fast and loose with the numbers on so many levels. He also pointed out the committee's unprofessionalism because one of the lines they drew splits someone's house in two. A part of the house with the living room is in one district while another part with bedrooms and bathroom is in another district. Shall the residents cast their ballot from the district in the bathroom or the living room, or is it voters' choice ( :rolleyes: )?

Ignore guidelines, mystify with questionable numbers and then pretend to adhere to the requirements is what may maintain their super majority for 2022. But we'll see how that plays out for them a few years from now since central OH has the biggest boost in population according to the recent census (and continues to grow) while so many non urban areas are losing population. In the meantime, let the League of Women Voter lawsuits (among others) begin to prevent them from continuing to do it.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

So he ran on mandatory gun buyback programs when he ran for president so it will be interesting to see if Texas suburbs have grown democratic so much that will vote for a person who wants to confiscate with compensation peoples Guns. I remember I bought is shirt saying “hell yes we are going to take your AR-15’s” because it was a real position. A real policy.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Perhaps the party should run Matthew McConaughey and not Beto. McConaughey is polling better and does not have the Second Amendment baggage Beto does. I can't picture someone (Beto) who said, "We are coming for your guns" in a Presidential debate has a chance in TX?

But I thought McConaughey was a Republican (& therefore who should be talking about primarying Abbott)?

Last edited:

ballettmaus

Perhaps the party should run Matthew McConaughey and not Beto. McConaughey is polling better and does not have the Second Amendment baggage Beto does. I can't picture someone (Beto) who said, "We are coming for your guns" in a Presidential debate has a chance in TX?
While it's not difficult to do a better job than Abbott, I think we should stick with candidates who have experience in politics in executive offices. (It does not like McConaughey does).

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge

But I thought McConaughey was a Republican (& therefore who should be talking about primarying Abbott)?

Except he didn't say that. He said he would come and take your AR-15s ("Hell yes, we’re going to take your AR-15, your AK-47") and if he runs fearlessly like that he might just surprise some people. I'm sick to death of Democrats being afraid. Let's try something different.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
It works in CT and MA. We have come for the AR 15's already, and proud of it.

But in TX where you need neither a license or training to carry any gun anywhere and shoot people legally just because they make you feel fearful, even if you are truly crazy paranoid?

I doubt it, but nothing else has worked.

olympic

Re Matthew McConaghey. - UGH at the idea of celebrities thinking that they have what it takes to run a state or a country. Being an actor doesn't mean you are ready to handle politics, which is much tougher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information