U.S. Supreme Court & judicial system

tony

But it just doesn't fcuking glide
Uh? Are you saying that American schools provide all-Spanish speaking teachers/classes to immigrant children?
Which ones?
It absolutely has to happen in Miami, as Spanish is the most dominant language in the city. I know of school systems here where everything is fully Spanish until at least 6th grade, maybe even longer, and they have a course here or there of English.

So yes, it does happen in the US.

ballettmaus

It absolutely has to happen in Miami, as Spanish is the most dominant language in the city. I know of school systems here where everything is fully Spanish until at least 6th grade, maybe even longer, and they have a course here or there of English.

In public schools? That's interesting. Why would the state go through the trouble? I find it hard to believe that it's simpler than integrating classes because young children learn languages within weeks. Or does it have to do with a lack of English speaking teachers?

caseyedwards

In public schools? That's interesting. Why would the state go through the trouble? I find it hard to believe that it's simpler than integrating classes because young children learn languages within weeks. Or does it have to do with a lack of English speaking teachers?
It’s all about the kids having a right to an education regardless of language. So they hire Spanish speaking teachers to teach the kids in Spanish. They can’t/don’t wait for all the kids to speak English. English isn’t an official language mostly anywhere. It’s not a legal requirement to know English so they are taught in Spanish

Dobre

Late-exit bilingual education is still bilingual education. Unless students are graduating in the 6th grade, which they aren't.
I find it hard to believe that it's simpler than integrating classes because young children learn languages within weeks.
Not at the level which is necessary for advanced academic success.

There are many successful models for bilingual education. Dual-language programs, in which kids learn in both languages @ 50% of the day are particularly successful, but most communities cannot recruit educated teachers that are fluent in both languages in order to run those programs or do not have the perfect mix of students from both language backgrounds in order to do so.

Florida--which is where bilingual education was rejuvenated in the U.S. after it was essentially terminated during WWII due to anti-German backlash--benefited from a great wave of educated Cuban immigration during the initial post-Castro immigration wave there.

Last edited:

Dobre

Here's a link looking at the reasoning behind late-exit bilingual programs vs. early-exit bilingual programs. (Both of which get some flack because they elevate one language--English here--over the other. Dual-language programs ideally give both languages equal value, but this means you have to be able to offer equal time over many years of education, which is only practical in limited locations).

Of course, you've got kids who migrate into the country at any age-level. Then you've got kids who migrate into the country with all different language backgrounds. And you've got communities with completely different percentages of kids at these different age levels & from different mixes of language backgrounds. Hence, you have all kinds of different renditions of bilingual education. Many kids from many cultural backgrounds don't have a practical opportunity to learn academic content in their native languages, and many of them lose those languages or cannot develop them. But that doesn't mean that communities which do have the opportunity to do so, such as Native American schools on reservations & communities with large second-language speaking populations shouldn't. Also, districts with any size & consistent form of immigration will generally be running newcomers classes, preferably different ones for different age levels.

Last edited:

BittyBug

Disgusted
I'm posting this here and not in the insurrection thread because I do believe this has direct bearing on Justice Thomas.

Gift link: https://wapo.st/3wIWv6o

I do think that in most circumstances the actions of a spouse should not necessariiy reflect on their partner, but there are certainly circumstances in which they do and must because the actions are just too close to home. For example, if the spouse of a CEO were to publicly disparage their partner's company, that CEO would like be forced to resign. Or if the spouse of the Executive Director of an animal advocacy group were found to have committed animal abuse, that ED would be forced to resign.

In this case, Ginni Thomas is actively promoting the undermining of our democracy, while her husband is supposed to be the final arbiter on the law of the land. It just stinks to high heaven.

caseyedwards

This just makes me wonder why I haven’t ever heard of the political activity of a spouse of a justice before! Did they all just agree as part of an unwritten code to never speak about any issue or get involved in any way in any political matter? I can’t remember one thing ever about any spouse ever! But it was unwritten rule maybe. So many they can pass a law saying no spouse can ever be political.

her grace

standing with Mariah
This just makes me wonder why I haven’t ever heard of the political activity of a spouse of a justice before! Did they all just agree as part of an unwritten code to never speak about any issue or get involved in any way in any political matter? I can’t remember one thing ever about any spouse ever! But it was unwritten rule maybe. So many they can pass a law saying no spouse can ever be political.

There absolutely are written rules (and unwritten interpretations) about political activity. When Mr. Grace worked for a federal court, we received a handout that said that we could not openly participate in political activities. I, as a spouse, was specifically told that I was not allowed to put a bumper sticker for a candidate on my car because it could make people suspect that the court was political and not an independent judiciary. It violates the Code of Judicial Ethics, see https://www.uscourts.gov/sites/default/files/guide-vol02a-ch03.pdf.

It makes my blood boil that I was supposed to cede my free speech rights for the good of the judiciary, but Ginni Thomas is allowed to be unethical in the most egregious manner while her husband sits on the most powerful court in the land.

How would that work exactly? What is your definition of "be political?"
There's already a written rule in the federal Judges' Code of Conduct that prohibits political activity. It could be amended to specifically include spouses as well.

Canon 5: A Judge Should Refrain From Political Activity
A. General Prohibitions. A judge should not:
(1) act as a leader or hold any office in a political organization;
(2) make speeches for a political organization or candidate, or publicly
endorse or oppose a candidate for public office; or
(3) solicit funds for, pay an assessment to, or make a contribution to a
political organization or candidate, or attend or purchase a ticket for
a dinner or other event sponsored by a political organization or
candidate.

PRlady

PRlady

First two cases important but not those above. One is that state legislators can intervene if the state’s AG is not defending a state law to their liking, the other that condemned prisoner can choose how he’s killed. :rolleyes:

attyfan

Also, NY's restrictions on guns were stricken ... and no civil liability under section 1983 for a Miranda violation.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I can't even speak. This is not a free country. It is a country owned and controlled by gun manufacturers and their pawns including six Supreme Court justices who want to tear this country to shreds in everyway.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court on Thursday struck down a restrictive New York gun law in a major ruling for gun rights.

The justices’ 6-3 decision is expected to ultimately allow more people to legally carry guns on the streets of the nation’s largest cities — including New York, Los Angeles and Boston — and elsewhere. About a quarter of the U.S. population lives in states expected to be affected by the ruling, the high court’s first major gun decision in more than a decade.

PRlady

Here’s the only optimistic thing I can think of. It took far-reaching SCOTUS decisions like Brown and Roe for the right to organize itself for long-term power. This Court’s decisions on guns, abortion, voting rights etc should mobilize the left to build the serious infrastructure needed to get it back.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
BTW nothing says freedom like government support of religious schools.
Here’s the only optimistic thing I can think of. It took far-reaching SCOTUS decisions like Brown and Roe for the right to organize itself for long-term power. This Court’s decisions on guns, abortion, voting rights etc should mobilize the left to build the serious infrastructure needed to get it back.
Hooray for 50-75 years from now.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love!
God Bless the SCOTUS!

USA remains the land of FREEDOM!
🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸

USA LATINOS (not “LatiniX”) for traditional values AND the ability to defend themselves.

More landmark decisions today, please!

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
God Bless the SCOTUS!

USA remains the land of FREEDOM!
🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸

USA LATINOS (not “LatiniX”) for traditional values AND the ability to defend themselves.

More landmark decisions today, please!
Congratulations. You have just endorsed the death certs of thousands more American children.

But FREEDOM! WOOOOHOOOO! :cheer:

once_upon

Believer in woman's right to own healthcare decisi
I figure all the conservatives and far right Trumpers are rejoicing these decisions UNTIL

Their tax dollars are paying for the hated teachers who don't work.

Their tax dollars are paying for teaching a religion but NOT their religious beliefs

A family member doesn't get fair treatment when arrested and Mirada principles don't apply

A family member dies from a back street abortion, or is condemned to a life of poverty, or arrested/prison because safe legal abortions are no longer available

They can no longer vote

That's just a start

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I figure all the conservatives and far right Trumpers are rejoicing these decisions UNTIL

Their tax dollars are paying for the hated teachers who don't work.

Their tax dollars are paying for teaching a religion but NOT their religious beliefs

A family member doesn't get fair treatment when arrested and Mirada principles don't apply

A family member dies from a back street abortion, or is condemned to a life of poverty, or arrested/prison because safe legal abortions are no longer available

They can no longer vote

That's just a start
They won't care. We live in an age when people have been propagandized into believing that there is NOTHING that is dangerous compared to the far left which is the same as the liberals and the Democratic Party and that the far left is at this moment about to impose a totalitarian dictatorship that will make the Soviet Union look mild so ANYTHING is acceptable as long as it is a defeat for that far left aka the Democratic Party, liberals and progressives.

Icetalavista

I'm anticipating tax dollars going to ultra-Orthodox schools where Torah and Talmud are taught but other subjects are neglected. Some kids grow up across the river from Manhattan (having been born in the US), with weak English language skills. And no practical job skills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information