U.S. Supreme Court & judicial system

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Yes! The Supreme Court and the country is lucky to have her!

What a thrill to have the first African-American woman Supreme Court judge! This should have happened a long time ago but I’m glad it’s finally happened!

It’s a shame that this historic achievement was marred by some Republicans using Judge Brown Jackson’s confirmation as a tool to play to their racist, idiotic base but in the end, nothing could take away from her immense qualifications and knowledge.

Republicans walking out as Judge Jackson’s vote is confirmed 🙄:

Excellent news. Glad to hear it.

Someone made a comment on FB about the "courageous" Republicans who vote to confirm her. There is nothing courageous about it. It is called doing your job.

The rest of the GQP are bunch of cry-baby tools. Did the Dems walk out on the confirmation of Kavanagh?

jenny12

Excellent news. Glad to hear it.

Someone made a comment on FB about the "courageous" Republicans who vote to confirm her. There is nothing courageous about it. It is called doing your job.

The rest of the GQP are bunch of cry-baby tools. Did the Dems walk out on the confirmation of Kavanagh?

Agreed. Our standard for Republicans is so low that voting to confirm a beyond qualified candidate to a deserved spot on the Supreme Court is considered brave. But considering who else is in Congress for the Republicans, I guess that’s where we are.

Aussie Willy

Yeah, I always pause when conservatives complain about "snowflakes" when they're the biggest tantrum throwers.
They only know how to project what they do onto others. That is their standard. It is like watching a bunch of kids in the playground. Or they think they are on the island in Lord of the Flies.

ballettmaus

Well a Library Card is a document. They are undocumented if they do not have the correct and appropriate documentation.
If you receive a document stating that you're allowed to stay until your asylum hearing, you are documented.

A B2 visa allows you to stay for 6 months but you can ask for an extension. I did once. I was approved and all I got was a piece of paper that said I had permission to stay. That's no different than a piece of paper that gives you permission to stay until your hearing.

Aussie Willy

McConnell says he’ll block another Biden SCOTUS nominee if Republicans regain the Senate.
I am going to have to watch that interview with Swan. I saw the bit where Swan called out his hypocrisy over support for Donald Trump.

Also the Republicans who were so keen to "get" KJB during her "interview" are not so keen to answer the question about "what is a woman?" when Huffpost asked them. Particularly Hawley kind of got caught out.

caseyedwards

Why are you so obsessed with immigrant policy?
I lead to Donald trump becoming president! I mean it’s such a big issue it actually lead a lot of people to vote for trump! It turned a very liberal area of NY I live near from an area that voted for Clinton gore kerry Obama into an area that voted for trump. One reason was a man bought houses and illegally subdivided them and rented rooms to undocumented people and then one day a car spun out of control and hit one of his illegally modified houses and killed people inside. That’s only one case. There are so many things that are reported.

It may actually cost democrats both the house and the senate this year! Americans do want to be pro immigrant but they also don’t want people to enter via the rio grande or climbing a wall. It will not go away and part of the reasons is democrats refuse to say what they really want out of fear of it being unpopular

This is a story from today

Last edited:

Dobre

It's about time . . .

This is the case about whether a judge in Texas had any right to overrule federal immigration policy. (Forcing the Trump Era "Remain in Mexico" policy to stay in effect).

The Supreme Court seems fed up with a Trump judge who sabotaged Biden​

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
Why are you so obsessed with immigrant policy?
It’s amazing how many right wing “just asking questions” Casey makes. Almost as if….. 🤔
I lead to Donald trump becoming president! I mean it’s such a big issue it actually lead a lot of people to vote for trump!
Congratulations on finally admitting it! Truth will set you free. :saint:

ballettmaus

And so it begins. https://www.npr.org/2022/05/06/1097...ontest-a-supreme-court-ruling-on-migrant-educ

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott says his state shouldn't have to provide free public schooling to undocumented students, despite a long-standing Supreme Court decision that says the opposite.

The high court's Plyler v. Doe ruling of 1982 struck down a Texas law that did two things: It denied state funds for any students deemed not to have lawfully entered the U.S., and it allowed public school districts to deny admission to those children.

"I think we will resurrect that case and challenge this issue again, because the expenses are extraordinary and the times are different" from when the decision came down, Abbott said in an interview with conservative radio host Joe Pagliarulo.

VGThuy

caseyedwards

Yes, let’s create a shadow class of children who won’t be able to go to school so they can just end up working under the table. These Republicans would like nothing more than to go back to a time where adult men were fighting for jobs with children who could offer cheaper labor and thus save some corporations some big bucks.
You are describing how most DC business republicans view immigrants- documented or undocumented! As cheaper than Americans. When all the republicans after Romney lost were ordered by the RNC to support making all undocumented people legal that was an RNC controlled by the Koch brothers and other money people. Right now there are so many pull factors making any border control meaningless. One pull factor is all democrats and DC establishment republicans wanted to make all undocumented people legal. Another is they get all the services of citizens- like education and healthcare

ballettmaus

Yes, let’s create a shadow class of children who won’t be able to go to school so they can just end up working under the table. These Republicans would like nothing more than to go back to a time where adult men were fighting for jobs with children who could offer cheaper labor and thus save some corporations some big bucks.
In the article, Abbott rambles on about something about deterring undocumented immigrants. It tells you something about how pivileged he is and that he has no idea why undocumented immigrants are coming to the US. Otherwise, he would not think that the prospect of children not being able to attend public school would deter them.

With that said, I think there will be uneducated children and/or undocumented immigrants may create a school within a parent's home where they'll teach a bunch of undocumented kids. It's completely counterproductive because they won't learn English and won't be able to integrate into society and won't pay taxes as many undocumented immigrants now do. They may be cheaper labor but they're also the people who do janitor and housekeeping jobs and if they don't have a rudimentary knowledge of English, they might not do that anymore.

People like Abbott are so ignorant and short-sighted.

caseyedwards

In the article, Abbott rambles on about something about deterring undocumented immigrants. It tells you something about how pivileged he is and that he has no idea why undocumented immigrants are coming to the US. Otherwise, he would not think that the prospect of children not being able to attend public school would deter them.

With that said, I think there will be uneducated children and/or undocumented immigrants may create a school within a parent's home where they'll teach a bunch of undocumented kids. It's completely counterproductive because they won't learn English and won't be able to integrate into society and won't pay taxes as many undocumented immigrants now do. They may be cheaper labor but they're also the people who do janitor and housekeeping jobs and if they don't have a rudimentary knowledge of English, they might not do that anymore.

People like Abbott are so ignorant and short-sighted.
A lot of times they don’t learn English In American public schools. I used to believe bilingual education meant kids learning in more than one but actually it means some learn only in Spanish or whatever.

ballettmaus

A lot of times they don’t learn English In American public schools. I used to believe bilingual education meant kids learning in more than one but actually it means some learn only in Spanish or whatever.
Uh? Are you saying that American schools provide all-Spanish speaking teachers/classes to immigrant children?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information