U.S. Supreme Court & judicial system

canbelto

So apparently it was a 5-4 decision with Roberts joining the liberal majority. Trump rage-tweeting about John Roberts in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

MsZem

John Roberts, liberal icon :watch:

That said, I'm going to guess that Bush 43 is happy with his pick today.

ETA: here's the opinion.

VGThuy

He did. The Court has swung so far to the extreme right that Roberts and Gorsuch are now considered swing votes or at least chaotic-neutrals. I don't think they ever envisioned themselves as such.

caseyedwards

Wow Roberts is really going down in history as one of the most liberal justices of all time. I don’t understand why people are trying to say he’s still right wing conservative

MsZem

Next up, I think. Trump's financial records. Bets anyone?
John Roberts seems to have a lot less patience with Trump than he used to. I've seen speculation online that it might be a narrow decision that will allow for enforcing at least some of the subpoenas; that seems a reasonable prediction to me.

snoopy

Well we should hold our horses a bit because I am reading the case hinged on a procedural issue. Conservatives shouldn't be mad at Roberts but at the Trump administration for being so inept they can't follow procedures.

canbelto

John Roberts seems to have a lot less patience with Trump than he used to. I've seen speculation online that it might be a narrow decision that will allow for enforcing at least some of the subpoenas; that seems a reasonable prediction to me.
I have a feeling John Roberts is done with Trump. Last year's citizenship question on the census also had Roberts saying in his ruling that he found the administrations's reasoning and decision-making disingenuous.

caseyedwards

I have a feeling John Roberts is done with Trump. Last year's citizenship question on the census also had Roberts saying in his ruling that he found the administrations's reasoning and decision-making disingenuous.
This is not about trump. People are trying to make it seem like Roberts is still conservative but done with trump. He is also responsible for Obamacare back in 2012 being upheld. He’s just a liberal now

caseyedwards

Well we should hold our horses a bit because I am reading the case hinged on a procedural issue. Conservatives shouldn't be mad at Roberts but at the Trump administration for being so inept they can't follow procedures.
Of course they should. Why did alito, gorsuch, kavanaugh and thomas all agree?

VGThuy

Yep. That's why it's important to vote him out and try as hard as we can to turn the Senate blue (and keep the House blue) to have some meaningful changes in immigration through those two branches. Hopefully, by next January, all of this could be moot. That's the long-term strategy. I think the short-term strategy is to hope the election goes the Dems' way and to put up legal challenges once he and his inept team figure out how to put their hatred of immigrants in check to follow procedures "correctly" (if they even bother). If they figure it out in a good time, then we can mount legal challenges and hope the lower courts place injunctions so that any new proposed DACA repeal won't have time to be enforced by January. Of course, if Trump gets re-elected...it's back to relying on the courts again.

caseyedwards

Yep. That's why it's important to vote him out and try as hard as we can to turn the Senate blue (and keep the House blue) to have some meaningful changes in immigration through those two branches. Hopefully, by next January, all of this could be moot. That's the long-term strategy. I think the short-term strategy is to hope the election goes the Dems' way and to put up legal challenges once he and his inept team figure out how to put their hatred of immigrants in check to follow procedures "correctly" (if they even bother). If they figure it out in a good time, then we can mount legal challenges and hope the lower courts place injunctions so that any new proposed DACA repeal won't have time to be enforced by January. Of course, if Trump gets re-elected...it's back to relying on the courts again.
The standard is impossible! “No DACA recipient can be harmed in any way by ending DACA”? Lol. That’s not a serious roadmap to ending DACA. The five justices said of course you can end daca but you need a plan so that none are harmed in any way. And they all consider deportation harming them. So you can’t deport people who don’t have a visa?

Last edited:

snoopy

So this is a it's funny but not funny thing. There are conservatives saying liberals must be blackmailing Chief Roberts with something for his votes. :lol: But then some liberals think Trump is blackmailing Lindsay Graham. Oy. How did we ever get this far?

caseyedwards

So this is a it's funny but not funny thing. There are conservatives saying liberals must be blackmailing Chief Roberts with something for his votes. :lol: But then some liberals think Trump is blackmailing Lindsay Graham. Oy. How did we ever get this far?
Far more likely is that Roberts is just like all the other republican appointees to Supreme Court who became liberals. Liberals never go right conservatives frequently move left

MsZem

Today SCOTUS ruled that, in an SEC enforcement action,
A disgorgement award that does not exceed a wrongdoer’s net profits and is awarded for victims is equitable relief permissible under §78u(d)(5). Pp. 5–20.
I am sure everyone here is very excited to learn this.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
I have no idea what it says :p
It means if you harm me and I write a book about it or I get paid to consult on a movie about it, I can take all the profits in a judgment against you.

(Well it's more complicated than that. But that's the general idea.)

BittyBug

Exemplifying model behavior
And today, we’ll again see the results of his decision in Kentucky, with its one polling place for some 600K+ voters.
Except I read an article that quoted the Governor (D) and some other Dem that they are the ones that approved the plan. They are expecting most votes to be cast by mail and through early voting and therefore expect very low turnout on the actual election day. The article included stats and IIRC the number of votes already cast is something like 80%+ of turnout from the last election, and that's without counting early voting ballots.

pollyanna

Except I read an article that quoted the Governor (D) and some other Dem that they are the ones that approved the plan. They are expecting most votes to be cast by mail and through early voting and therefore expect very low turnout on the actual election day. The article included stats and IIRC the number of votes already cast is something like 80%+ of turnout from the last election, and that's without counting early voting ballots.
You're right, @BittyBug, although it was in response to the crud the Gov. Andy Beshear and Secretary of State Michael Adams reached a bipartisan agreement to delay Kentucky’s primary election from May 19 to June 23 and expanded mail-in voting to all eligible voters. They're watching how it turns out in case they want to use the same process in November. Above all, they wanted to keep voters and poll workers safe.

Here is an image of Jefferson County's polling place. It's huge and centrally located. So far, it seems to be working well. It remains to be seen how well it works when everyone gets off work and the polling place closes at 6 pm.

https://www.wdrb.com/news/no-major-...cle_f92a6262-b561-11ea-a66b-63f8200ada78.html

caseyedwards

Whenever twitter democrats don’t like something they blame the republicans and it’s very effective! Ignore the fact there is a democratic governor completely and say mitch Mcconnell just wants to stop black people from voting and that’s it! Even though Mcconell probably wants huge turnout so booker wins!

pollyanna

Lexington, KY voters are having to wait in longer lines - as long as 2 hours.

Louisville, KY voting seems to be "pain free."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information