U.S. Supreme Court & judicial system

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
^^^^^It amuses me where the quote clip cut off the line when I hold my iPad vertically.

clairecloutier

The Republican Roberts Court once again votes 5-4, this time against extending the deadline for mail-in ballots for Wisconsin voters in the current BB crisis.

I don't think Roberts cares about appearances any more.

He is full-in on creating permanent minority rule if he can, in between attending meetings of Opus Dei and the Federalist Society.

Last edited:

olympic

The Republican Roberts Court once again votes 5-4, this time against extending the deadline for mail-in ballots for Wisconsin voters in the current BB crisis.

I don't think about Roberts cares about appearances any more.

He is full-in on creating permanent minority rule if he can, in between attending meetings of Opus Dei and the Federalist Society.
I read this and was just utterly disgusted. A conservative court used to mean that while they would not advocate for you, they would stay out of your way (for the most part). Now, they will actively seek you out and step on you.

VGThuy

Democrats somehow need to make what happened in both the Wisconsin SC and the Supreme Court regarding election law decisions that put the people of Wisconsin in a situation to either be in danger or lose their voting rights LOUD and CLEAR in Wisconsin. I would love it if it resonated all over the country as well, but since it happened to them directly, I think Wisconsin voters need to understand what happens when we put the GOP in charge in executive positions, and allow them to appoint justices. I don't think Wisconsin is as lost of a cause of turning back blue as some others I have read think.

ballettmaus

It's not just Wisconsin. Republicans are blocking mail-in-ballots-for-all in November. They know full well that they don't stand a chance if they allowed that. (I think if they allowed it, they'd lose the WH and the Senate easily).

There are two things I'm afraid of: one, that Trump, supportered by the MSM, will be able to control the ***** response narratve until November and that Democrats won't push back enough and that he'll be able to turn that into a win and two, that the ***** won't be under control in November, Republicans won't agree to allow everyone to vote by mail and that Republican turnout will be much higher than Democrat turnout due to fears of the *****.

VGThuy

I was keeping my comment specifically narrow as a response to the issues addressed in the court decision and a related case handed by the Wisconsin Supreme Court, and the conversation of this thread. Then I tied it to how voting Republican affects who gets appointed to the Court which then affects decisions like these, which I felt was appropriate in a thread dedicated to the Supreme Court and other courts in the judicial system.

olympic

THIS is why we need to vote blue no matter who: The Federal Judiciary. Long after Biden, Sanders and your Congress is gone, the Federal Judges appointed to SCOTUS, Appeals Courts, and Federal Benches will be making decisions influencing YOUR life for decades, entire generations and more. If you are Sanders supporter, understand that Biden's picks will be a net positive over Trump's picks, and vice versa. Hunter Biden, Burisma, smelling a woman's hair, Benghazi, and a private email server are not nearly as impactful as the way in which a Federal Judge will be.

clairecloutier

THIS is why we need to vote blue no matter who: The Federal Judiciary. Long after Biden, Sanders and your Congress is gone, the Federal Judges appointed to SCOTUS, Appeals Courts, and Federal Benches will be making decisions influencing YOUR life for decades, entire generations and more. If you are Sanders supporter, understand that Biden's picks will be a net positive over Trump's picks, and vice versa. Hunter Biden, Burisma, smelling a woman's hair, Benghazi, and a private email server are not nearly as impactful as the way in which a Federal Judge will be.

You should post this on Twitter and/or Facebook as well. A lot of people need to hear (and seriously take in) this message.

VGThuy

Well, I’m not one to minimize some sexual assault allegations. But I guess we are being forced in a situation between voting for one candidate accused of sexual assault who will pick better judicial appointments or Trump (no explanation necessary) who has appointed judicial candidates looking to roll back rights, protections for women and minorities, and empower corporate interests over real people more and more.

olympic

Well, I’m not one to minimize some sexual assault allegations. But I guess we are being forced in a situation between voting for one candidate accused of sexual assault who will pick better judicial appointments or Trump (no explanation necessary) who has appointed judicial candidates looking to roll back rights, protections for women and minorities, and empower corporate interests over real people more and more.
No one should minimize sexual assault allegations. Definitely not. There is a bigger discussion in the 2020 Election thread.

clairecloutier

Just a follow-up on the Wisconsin election from last week ... It looks like the key state Supreme Court judge race--which was what Republicans were really vested in there--has been won by the Democratic judge candidate, Jill Karofsky.

I also read in another article that a group of 14 Wisconsin residents have filed a federal lawsuit asking for a partial revote. Don't know if it will go anywhere, but I'm glad someone pursued the matter. (ETA: Here's the other article.)

ballettmaus

Just a follow-up on the Wisconsin election from last week ... It looks like the key state Supreme Court judge race--which was what Republicans were really vested in there--has been won by the Democratic judge candidate, Jill Karofsky.
I read elsewhere that all WI SC justices voted absentee, including those charming Republicans.

Japanfan

One candidate accused of sexual assault, the other one who brags about it. :wuzrobbed

Slim pickings.

I can't get really excited about Biden beating Trump, but obviously he is the better choice. Heck, my dog could run a country better than the orange idiot. And people would be happy and playing a lot!

I had really hoped it was time for a woman to become President. Maybe next time round.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Several cases regarding qualified immunity for police officers have reached the Supreme Court for consideration.
Amid nationwide protests over police killings, the Supreme Court is facing pressure to reconsider the legal immunity that often shields officers from being sued for using excessive force, including brutal arrests and the shooting of innocent people in their homes.

The high court has been sharply criticized from the left and the right for rulings in the last decade that have made it nearly impossible for many victims of police brutality or wrongful shootings to sue the officers for violating their rights. Since police officers are rarely charged with a crime, the court-created doctrine of “qualified immunity” from civil lawsuits has meant no redress for victims and little accountability for those who abuse their authority, according to the critics.
He and others are encouraged because legal scholars have strongly disputed the doctrine of qualified immunity, and justices on the right and left have voiced doubts. Justices Clarence Thomas and Neil M. Gorsuch have questioned the doctrine because it was invented by judges, while Justices Sonia Sotomayor and Ruth Bader Ginsburg warned about its practical impact.
What timing. It will be very interesting to see which cases, if any, they take and how the decisions will play out.

The one I've been following for awhile is Corbitt v Vickers. It's the case where the police terrorized a group of children playing in their own yard while the officers were chasing an unrelated suspect. One of the children was shot in the leg due to negligence by the officers. It's just flat out wrong on so many levels how the police handled this one and yet the child and his family have had no recourse against the authorities.

Vagabond

I don't think this lawsuit is going anywhere, since the Government is seeking to coerce speech. The Government wants the court to "order Bolton t' “instruct or request' that his publisher further delay publication of the book." Still, there's ot much more the Government could have done to boost sales other than trying to ban it.

:watch:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information