U.S. Supreme Court & judicial system

olympic

So, that means 47 Ds (I assume Manchin in WV can use McConnell’s 2016 stance as cover), Collins and Murkowski on the record = 49. It was leaked from a Romney staffer that he was on board but was walked back. He could be 50. Grassley said in 2018 he would never allow a judicial vote in an election year, but if you read his statement, he uses weaseling qualifiers like ‘...as long as I am running the judiciary committee’ IDK

Toshi_Berra

Some Political science professor advocating "burning down congress" if Trump fills RGB's spot

I can see both sides of the argument but you folks seem awfully eager to resort to violence....not a good look before the election. :saint:

EDIT: former CNN correspondent Reza Aslan agrees

EDIT2: Laura Bassett of Huffington Post promises riots..

There was a day when "radicalization" was something to be disdained, and then there's AOC...

Last edited:

canbelto

canbelto & @becca too - All Republicans are NOT for repealing Roe v Wade & all Democrats are NOT for abortion. It's not that black & white. But the proof is in the fact that Republicans in DC have made no effort to overturn abortion rights in the many many times they have had a majority in Congress and/or the Supreme Court. The 1st 2 yrs of Trump's term they had both Houses & the Court. Did the question ever come up? NO. A few stupid govenors tried to do thing like shove a camera up women's hoohahs or make criminals of women but no real effort has been done. The reason - Republicans want to blame Democrats without any efforts on their parts. Except for the tiny minority who use abortion as birth control I believe no likes abortion. What they like is women having power over their own bodies.

I was parodying becca.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I love when you point out that the majority elected Clinton in 2016, that you get back nonsense about flyover states or rural voters. Yes, it's the United States. And that means you can't just throw away the votes of the most populous states because you don't like how they voted. Not to mention, it doesn't change the fact that the majority of the country voted for Clinton.

Susan1

I love when you point out that the majority elected Clinton in 2016, that you get back nonsense about flyover states or rural voters. Yes, it's the United States. And that means you can't just throw away the votes of the most populous states because you don't like how they voted. Not to mention, it doesn't change the fact that the majority of the country voted for Clinton.
I know. They keep saying the majority of people voted for trump because they wanted conservative judges. No, the PEOPLE voted for Hillary. And according to a FB chart I just saw - 46.9% didn't vote; 25.6% voted for Clinton; 25.5% voted for trump, 1.7% voted for Johnson. I wonder how much of that 46.9% don't want conservative judges. They better vote this time.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
THIS!

Screw that "they go low, we go high" bs. It's long time that Dems take the gloves off.

what frustrates me about democrats is they don’t fight hard enough. They want to be ‘nice’ so they can feel virtuous. When you have a corrupt republica party that has no morals or ethics and will do anything to grab power, democrats are playing a different game. They cannot win Unless they get in the mud to wrestle the pigs and fight till they win.Their half hearted efforts do not bring desired results. That is why I am concerned that they will let the Reps do whatever they want.

Dems are not without power. Right now they are leading polls against the republican. If Biden wins and the dems have majority in the senate, the dems can add four seats to the SCOTUS. I am sure both sides know that, but will the dems actually do it ir will they play nice, as usual?

the most important thing is to get rid of Trump in this election. Other things are important but still secondary. The focus must be in a Biden win. They have a decent chance of gaining senate majority and they should continue to work on it, but they absolutely cannot allow the reps to run over them where Scotus is concerned. They have to fight, nit by being nice but by being tough.

Last edited:

Spikefan

At the Hubbell Salon
Just to be clear, stating go for the jugular does not mean physical violence. :rolleyes: It is an idiom:
go for the jugular To attack in the most aggressive way possible or where the victim is most vulnerable. Despite the imagery, the term is almost never used to refer to physical violence. COMMON If someone goes for the jugular, they attack or criticize someone very severely, causing the most damage or biggest defeat possible.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
You cannot have a reasonable debate with only one side being reasonable.

And if everyone descends into name-calling and lies, there will be no chance of reasonable debate at all. As the saying goes, when you wrestle with pigs, all it achieves is that you both get dirty and the pig enjoys it.

IMO Biden is doing an excellent job of calling out Trump's lies without descending to Trump's level.

becca

Based on the electoral college Trump won by the rules. Rules he didn’t create. If the rules are to be changed it would take a Constitutional amendment and good luck with that. I doubt the smaller states will agree.

The Republicans promised their base elect us: and we will give you a Conservative court. And now there is a vacancy with a Republican Senate and a Republican President and they aren’t going to honor their promises to the people who elected them?

It’s political suicide for the Republicans to not nominate and confirm. What will they tell their voters if they don’t.

This is politics. In 2016 and 2018 the Republicans did exactly what their base wanted them to do. In both cases they had the votes.

I really don’t think Democrats should talk about morality and the courts many on the right felt Kavanaugh was treated poorly.

Then there was Miguel Estrada who was filibustered for two years for a lower court.

And the Democrat memo is that it was because he was Hispanic and they felt Republicans might be grooming him for the Supreme Court. They didn’t want the Republicans to be the first to nominate a Hispanic.

It was at great personal cost his wife had a miscarriage, overdosed, and died. He reportedly refuses to ever be considered again because he never wants to be polite to Chuck Schumer.

For the record if the Democrats had the Presidency and the Senate I would expect them to so the same and I wouldn’t blame them one bit.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I really don’t think Democrats should talk about morality and the courts many on the right felt Kavanaugh was treated poorly.

I really don't give a flying **** about anyone who thinks Kavanaugh was treated poorly. His qualifications were roundly condemned by literally thousands of his peers, and his behaviour during the hearings was completely inappropriate for any candidate for the Supreme Court, regardless of their political views.

caseyedwards

So, that means 47 Ds (I assume Manchin in WV can use McConnell’s 2016 stance as cover), Collins and Murkowski on the record = 49. It was leaked from a Romney staffer that he was on board but was walked back. He could be 50. Grassley said in 2018 he would never allow a judicial vote in an election year, but if you read his statement, he uses weaseling qualifiers like ‘...as long as I am running the judiciary committee’ IDK
Gardner is also a definite no so any Trump nomination is dead with at least 51 no’s. If so much of the Republican Party didn’t support Biden this wouldn’t be the case

TOADS

Toad whisperer.....
As important as all this is, i think we have a bigger problem. I have been following the crud on a daily basis since it started In January and all my numbers are beginning to suggest that this may go Stephen King in the next month.

i don’t care what the news media or the officials in DC say, the numbers are pointing to something really, really bad.....

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Based on the electoral college Trump won by the rules. Rules he didn’t create. If the rules are to be changed it would take a Constitutional amendment and good luck with that. I doubt the smaller states will agree.
And that's the next argument that they make. He won by the rules! Um, did I say he didn't win? I said you can't say the people decided when he lost the popular vote by millions of votes.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
the most important thing is to get rid of Trump in this election. Other things are important but still secondary. The focus must be in a Biden win. They have a decent chance of gaining senate majority and they should continue to work on it, but they absolutely cannot allow the reps to run over them where Scotus is concerned. They have to fight, nit by being nice but by being tough.

Yes, beating Trump is important but I'm more worried (if that's possible) about a 6-3 Court which would affect the US for decades. There would be absolutely no check over Republicans - I shouldn't call them that. People like McConnell & Rudy G & Trump & his henchmen are not the Republicans of Lincoln's party. They aren't even the Republicans of my youth.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
As important as all this is, i think we have a bigger problem. I have been following the crud on a daily basis since it started In January and all my numbers are beginning to suggest that this may go Stephen King in the next month.

i don’t care what the news media or the officials in DC say, the numbers are pointing to something really, really bad.....

I am not taking anything for granted.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Heck they aren't even the Republicans of the Bushes.

ETA David Frum gives 4 reasons McConnel might not have the power to force through a SCOTUS nominee. I only bought two of them, myself:

I respect David Frum but I don’t agree with him here. I don’t feel that any of his four reasons is strong enough to dissuade McConnell from replacing RBG Now.

i think Trump is so afraid of losing this election that he is going to use every possible power he can (ab)use. McConnell will do what Trump wants.

Reps still have the senate majority. They will not risk waiting until after the election.

i dont see anyone -man or woman- declining a Scotus position. A justice is a justice regardless of which President appointed him or her.

i think Frum is being too optimistic. McConnell will push it through. He is not concerned about perceptions. If there is hesitation from a few R senators, he will promise them Something to buy their votes. Never underestimate this Snake.

Louis

Private citizen
If the Republicans have the votes, they’d be fools not to ram this through even if it costs them the Presidency and the Senate. This is a prize worth the cost.

PRlady

If the Republicans have the votes, they’d be fools not to ram this through even if it costs them the Presidency and the Senate. This is a prize worth the cost.

Yes, because they will never win a fair fight again based on the demographics they have, so their only chance is to lock a majority for voter suppression, religious fanaticism and corporate malfeasance in for a generation.

SpeedySucks

If the Republicans ram through a confirmation (especially in the lame duck after they’ve lost the presidency and the Senate), then I fully support whatever measures Democrats take next year in retribution. This includes eliminating the filibuster, making DC and/or Puerto Rico a state, packing the Supreme Court with 2 or 4 more justices and adding hundreds of new justices to the lower courts, etc. If any of this terrifies Republicans, perhaps they should think twice about the consequences of ramming through an action that the majority of Americans oppose. The Democrats have laid down for the past decade while Republicans have obstructed and used every lever possible to gain power. It’s time for Democrats to flip the script and use the levers they have to even the score.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
If the Republicans ram through a confirmation (especially in the lame duck after they’ve lost the presidency and the Senate), then I fully support whatever measures Democrats take next year in retribution. This includes eliminating the filibuster, making DC and/or Puerto Rico a state, packing the Supreme Court with 2 or 4 more justices and adding hundreds of new justices to the lower courts, etc. If any of this terrifies Republicans, perhaps they should think twice about the consequences of ramming through an action that the majority of Americans oppose. The Democrats have laid down for the past decade while Republicans have obstructed and used every lever possible to gain power. It’s time for Democrats to flip the script and use the levers they have to even the score.

It's not that I don't reluctantly agree with you. I just hate to descend to their level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information