U.S. Protests - There's Something Happening Here

once_upon

From this story it sounds like they kind of brought it on themselves, with the owner's son making social media posts that protestors should be used for "target practice".
Oh i know as I live here. I just figured our whiny trolls would be right on top of this

Toshi_Berra

I have, so I'll comment on another blanket statement (99% - I'm sure you know them all lol) made once again without much research or consideration.

I take it you already forgot about the Flint Water Crisis. (of course you did) The 10th most liberal city in America , run overwhelmingly by Democratic politicians for decades...how could this atrocity have occurred when your party has all the answers and SUCH CONCERN for the underprivileged? Doesn't really add up.

Honestly, which inner city community has the Democratic party ever managed to lift out of poverty? Name a few. Funny how you don't bother providing any evidence of measurable improvement in these communities....you consider your own vague personal impression as "good enough" to prove the Democratic parties efficacy. But it really isn't--so drop the self-delusion and show me some actual results.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
Speaking of cancel culture and whining about the mainstream out-of-touch media elite:

Sean Hannity, according to the book, has been able to work from home for years, after negotiating that condition as part of contract talks last decade.Fox installed a state-of-the-art studio so he could helm his nightly TV show from his mansion [on Long Island], the same way he already did his afternoon radio show.

jenny12

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Cancel is just a whiny right-wing snowflake way of saying getting consequences for ones actions. And a lot of times, there are no consequences anyway.
Absolutely. Too often you hear conservatives complain about not being able to say what they want ie code for complaining that they have been brought to account for rude comments about groups they don't like, usually based on a stereotype

once_upon

Ugh the fans booed a moment of "unity" at today's NFL game between the Texans and Chiefs. They weren't kneeling or anything. People are garbage.
Yeah, DH said what are the booing. It ticked me off.

I didnt see the drum beat before the game, dont think they usually show that - but I think that tradition was continuing (i believe Native Americans were involved in that decision) Tomahawk Chop was no longer going to be tradition, but everyone knows fans would still do it. I noticed TV cut away from fans immediately when that started.

I guess its ok if those black players entertain them but they aren't allowed to express opinions. Sort of a slavery thing. Entertain me, speak only if I tell you stuff?

canbelto

Yeah, DH said what are the booing. It ticked me off.

I didnt see the drum beat before the game, dont think they usually show that - but I think that tradition was continuing (i believe Native Americans were involved in that decision) Tomahawk Chop was no longer going to be tradition, but everyone knows fans would still do it. I noticed TV cut away from fans immediately when that started.

I guess its ok if those black players entertain them but they aren't allowed to express opinions. Sort of a slavery thing. Entertain me, speak only if I tell you stuff?

I actually ran across someone on social media who said that black players should be a "quota" of 15% in professional sports teams so the game can be "without politics" again. People are just garbage.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
Here's what happens when you aren't kissing the ring of BLM:

Oh, I missed the part where the WNBA completely went out of business for not supporting BLM enough. Maybe because....it didn't happen.

demetriosj

VGThuy

And people wanted the Dixie Chicks canceled back in the early-to-mid 2000s. People wanted to boycott Disney back in the 90s because their theme parks became friendly towards LGBTQ individuals. Now people want to boycott Disney movies for appeasing China. People want all kinds of things. But only when people on the left call for it due to their reaction towards racism or racism-adjacent attitudes expressed by people, it becomes a problem.

demetriosj

Yeah, I believe that's something called Freedom of Speech.

How in the world does that represent freedom of speech?! It's the antithesis of freedom of speech. The WNBA players want the co-owner out because of her views on BLM. What about the co-owner's freedom of speech? Hypocritical much? It's upside down land here.

VGThuy

They both are exercising their freedom of speeches and one wants another person out. Nobody said she couldn’t say what she wanted, but she’s not entitled to keep her job if she wants to keep a position that most of the players in the organization don’t agree with it. People get outed from their cushy jobs for less things (and usually get a golden parachute). In America, we like the idea of people being able to get fired for no reason at all, but now that racists or racially insensitive people are in danger, suddenly the whole American employment scheme is bad...despite the fact that it was bad way before this and many others were at risk for being fired for discriminatory reasons (though we have federal and state and municipal protection these days, it still happens).

VGThuy

Also, let’s face it, it’s become abundantly clear that regular people have very little power outside of voting and even less power when it comes to private enterprises. We had it banged into our heads now that we’re a capitalistic society, so the only power they have to affect people who they can’t usually touch is purchasing power. That’s where “cancel culture” comes from. People don’t care unless you affect their bank account. Affect that, then they’ll listen. Same thing with employee-led or player-led campaigns...they know there’s now WNBA without the players. No WNBA, no money for these people at the top. The players are affected too but they care so much about the cause that they are willing to lose their jobs for it.

nylynnr

No WNBA would save money for people on the top. It lost $12 million last season and an average of more than $10 million a year for 20 years. The NBA subsidizes the league.

VGThuy

They probably get some benefit from it. Either way, calling for the ousting of one official is still putting their jobs on the line as well. And either way, no WNBA, no current paycheck for that official even if that paycheck is subsidized by the NBA. The reason the NBA is subsidizing it isn’t out of charity or good PR, but they see some financial incentive being the seen as the only name in national basketball, even with women.

nylynnr

They probably get some benefit from it. Either way, calling for the ousting of one official is still putting their jobs on the line as well. And either way, no WNBA, no current paycheck for that official even if that paycheck is subsidized by the NBA. The reason the NBA is subsidizing it isn’t out of charity or good PR, but they see some financial incentive being the seen as the only name in national basketball, even with women.
Actually, I do think the NBA subsidizes the WNBA for charitable and PR reasons. It's a highly lucrative league and the money it spends to support women's basketball is minute in comparison to its profits.

Loeffler isn't an official, she has no job or role in the day-to-day management of the Dreams. She has an ownership stake in the team. To get her out, someone or a group (probably the NBA) will have to step up and buy her out.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
How in the world does that represent freedom of speech?! It's the antithesis of freedom of speech. The WNBA players want the co-owner out because of her views on BLM. What about the co-owner's freedom of speech? Hypocritical much? It's upside down land here.

Freedom of speech means that both sides of an issue get their say. And it also means that each side has the right to debate and criticize the other side's views. Freedom of speech does not mean "only opinions that I agree with".

VGThuy

Actually, I do think the NBA subsidizes the WNBA for charitable and PR reasons. It's a highly lucrative league and the money it spends to support women's basketball is minute in comparison to its profits.

Loeffler isn't an official, she has no job or role in the day-to-day management of the Dreams. She has an ownership stake in the team. To get her out, someone or a group (probably the NBA) will have to step up and buy her out.

I read a few pieces saying the NBA uses the WNBA in order to further their brand as the only association people associate with basketball in the U.S. and even worldwide to the point where people think basketball is synonymous with the NBA brand. There were listed reasons why the NBA has a vested interest in the WNBA (some see a real future investment paying off after two decades of figuring it out and a growing fanbase for some franchises) and even though the league as a whole still needs to be subsidized by the NBA, individual teams actually have made money (I read about half) and the amount of money the NBA spends on the WNBA is quite small considering other things the NBA spends their money on and how much revenue it takes. Essentially, they find the WNBA as another way to spread their brand and condition further generations of all genders to buy into the NBA brand. That said, thank for you clarifying Loeffler's role. As someone with an ownership stake, I'm sure she gets something back for her investment. I don't blame the players if they don't want themselves associated with her.

demetriosj

Freedom of speech means that both sides of an issue get their say. And it also means that each side has the right to debate and criticize the other side's views. Freedom of speech does not mean "only opinions that I agree with".

What? If "each side has the right to debate and criticize the other side's views", and "not only opinions that I agree with" as it should be, then why can't Loeffler have the right to freely express her views on BLM without being threatened with ouster by the WNBA players?

overedge

G.O.A.T.
What? If "each side has the right to debate and criticize the other side's views", and "not only opinions that I agree with" as it should be, then why can't Loeffler have the right to freely express her views on BLM without being threatened with ouster by the WNBA players?

What part of "the players don't have the power to get rid of Loeffler" are you having trouble understanding?

demetriosj

What part of "the players don't have the power to get rid of Loeffler" are you having trouble understanding?

What part of not everyone should have to cave to the BLM manifesto for fear of reprisal are you having trouble understanding?

overedge

G.O.A.T.
What part of not everyone should have to cave to the BLM manifesto for fear of threats are you having trouble understanding?

You have provided exactly zero proof that any business or organization is being forced to cave in to the "BLM manifesto". WNBA players criticizing their team owner is not proof of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information