U.S. Pairs 2021-22 season - News & Updates, Part X

yeslek

Do you mean more often than pairs girls who are also among the top ten pairs teams in the World Championships, twice? Or do you mean more often than 50 percent of all pairs girls competing in the World or even in the US? It's one thing to be openly "campaigning" against someone in threads, and trying to convince others of your favorites or non-favorites. But I'm not sure your statement about Ashley Cain-Gribble is accurate. Of course if you've comprised statistics, that's another thing.

I'd like to say a huge congratulations :cheer2:to Ashley Cain-Gribble and Timothy Leduc for their good skating at Finlandia last week-end, and for their bronze medal.* It was a good step for them to have two clean skates in the competition, and it was also fabulous that they skated two lovely performances of beautiful skates! I love these programs, especially the SP, and I believe they both highlight the unique beauty of Ashley and Timothy's skating: their gorgeous lines, their unison, their passion and mutual commitment to the music. I like to see a lot of diversity in styles in pairs skating, so I'm very appreciative of their good qualities, which are different from the qualities of most pairs skaters. *ETA: this was a stacked field, so C-G/L's accomplishment is even more impressive.

Consistency is wonderful and allows the judges to begin to trust skaters and ready to give them their due. Still ... I'd rather watch a team that has some interesting moments and may or may not deliver consistently than a solid team that doesn't give me something emotionally.
All I was looking at was skating scores.com under their main summary page around 50% of their jumps were called under.

Sylvia

U.S. Qualifying season is underway!
3 pairs have been assigned to CS Warsaw Cup, November 18-21, 2021:

Jessica Calalang/Brian Johnson - glad to see them getting a 2nd Challenger (they won the gold at this comp. in 2019)

Emily Chan/Spencer Howe - originally assigned to Asian Open Trophy before everyone was pulled so glad they can make their Challenger debut after all!

Chelsea Liu/Danny O'Shea - this will be their Challenger debut together

olympic

3 pairs have been assigned to CS Warsaw Cup, November 18-21, 2021:

Jessica Calalang/Brian Johnson - glad to see them getting a 2nd Challenger (they won the gold at this comp. in 2019)

Emily Chan/Spencer Howe - originally assigned to Asian Open Trophy before everyone was pulled so glad they can make their Challenger debut after all!

Chelsea Liu/Danny O'Shea - this will be their Challenger debut together
Very happy that the USFSA utilizes all these comps; many pairs need as much international exposure as possible

wickedwitch

I just realized that if an American pair doesn't medal this year at Worlds, the pairs medal drought would be officially longer than the ice dance medal drought from 1985-2005 (B/S medalling in 1985, B/A medalling in 2005). :( Although I still think I/B should have medaled in 2006.

On the bright side, if we look at the success US ice dancers have had since the medal drought, it shows that things can be turned around long-term.

skatingguy

Golden Team
On the bright side, if we look at the success US ice dancers have had since the medal drought, it shows that things can be turned around long-term.
It was a pretty unique set of circumstances that led to that success in ice dance that started with the collapse of the Soviet Union. It's hard to pinpoint an event that could lead to the same series of improvements in US pairs.

toddlj

SKAM Vegas and Nashville 2022!
One fantastic pair, with charisma and results, would possibly inspire future generation of teams who sees them as role models. Of course, that's a big ask.

wickedwitch

It was a pretty unique set of circumstances that led to that success in ice dance that started with the collapse of the Soviet Union. It's hard to pinpoint an event that could lead to the same series of improvements in US pairs.
I think in the end all it will take is one great coach to start the process, just like with ice dance.

Sylvia

JUNIOR PAIRS Total score/Name/SP/FS [competition]
150.05 Sonia Baram/Daniel Tioumentsev 54.31/95.74 [Glacier Falls] (new; she's not ISU Jr. age-eligible until next season)
Daniel shared this clip in early August from the beginning of their Glacier Falls FS (high 3twist & sbs 2A): https://www.instagram.com/p/CSD8dA5r3jQ/
He also posted a montage showing the progress of their triple twist under Chris Knierim's guidance from the summer: https://www.instagram.com/p/CQrsMCOFmfG/

Baram/Tioumentsev had a very impressive showing in the first pairs qualifying competition in Henderson, NV (on demand video available for Peacock Premium subscribers) with all new PB scores of 62.79 / 112.16 / 174.95 (and are not even attempting throw triples in competition yet!) - Junior Pairs final results/protocols are here: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2021/30105/CAT012SEG020.html
They are both accomplished singles skaters (she won the Novice silver in her group in Henderson & has all her triples through Lutz & he previously qualified for 2019 Novice Nationals) and are coming together nicely as a promising young pair -- I'm looking forward to watching their progress!

Last edited:

olympic

By
I think in the end all it will take is one great coach to start the process, just like with ice dance.
By the way, wasn’t Robin Szolkowy supposed to start a pairs rink in the US? Along the lines of it may just take one great coach like in Ice Dance …

Sylvia

By the way, wasn’t Robin Szolkowy supposed to start a pairs rink in the US?
Szolkowy was based in Irvine, CA from April 2019 to fall of 2020 and also worked as a pairs consultant with USFS during that time (before c0vid hit). He and his family have since returned to Europe but he has been making occasional coaching trips this year to the Northeastern part of the U.S. for Krigor Studio (run by Igor Lukanin).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information