1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U.S. Government Shutdown

Discussion in 'Politically Incorrect' started by Vagabond, Jan 20, 2018.

1. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Gosh, I just want to punch them. This is exactly why McConnell objected to the bill for continued regular military payment. And no one seems to be talking about it (that Democrats wanted to vote and McConnell killed it)

That's different, of course, but I was just referring to the deal that was offered yesterday and that I believe that the sole reason Kelly and Miller didn't want Trump to take it was because they thought it wouldn't play well with his base.

ETA: A bunch of Democrats have introduced a bill that members of Congress not get paid for the duration of the shutdown either. https://twitter.com/NBCPolitics/status/954474516679483392

LilJen and DORISPULASKI like this.
  2. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Kelly and miller are true believers. They don't like brown people either.

3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    DORISPULASKI likes this.
  4. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

A "good shutdown" would be one in which the current President was deemed non-essential personnel. :shuffle:

5. ballettmaus

:rofl:

FiveRinger likes this.
  6. ballettmaus

So, per NYT Kelly told Schumer he'd have to work it out with McConnell but, as we know, McConnell agree to anything unless the President's signs on. ... Yeah, sounds like a great strategy :wall:

7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

DORISPULASKI and ballettmaus like this.
  8. Susan1

Susan1 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I wasn't worried about the funds. Medicaid already told me I was covered and through the insurance company I've had. I was just hoping somebody was at the ODJFS to process the extra paperwork I had to fill out by Jan. 29 that I ran over and mailed back an hour after it came in the mail. Last year I got a letter in December that said everything was good for the coming year.

I might be needing to go to the doctor soon. I'm having trouble using my right ring and little fingers. Those knuckles at my hand are all swollen. I don't know why. It wasn't like this when I went to the store! ow.

9. ballettmaus

McConnell is said to have scheduled a vote that would fund the government through February 8th. https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/government-shuts-down-after-senate-bill-collapses-negotiations-fail/2018/01/20/dca0d7e0-fda6-11e7-8f66-2df0b94bb98a_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_shutdown0121-753am-desktoptablet:homepage/story&utm_term=.643bd8774bc5

This is exactly what I believe to be the problem. Republicans act as if just because they have the majority, Democrats should just bow to their wishes and if they are not, Republicans want to force them into compliance then blame them when Democrats refuse to be forced. Republicans are blatantly disregarding how democracy is supposed to work and the worst of it is that I fear that they will succeed. This looks like a no-win situation for Democrats. If they vote for the spending bill extension without getting any concessions, Republicans will say the shutdown was unnecessary, if Democrats won't vote the spending bill extension, Republicans will say that they're uncooperative.

I don't know if this is the right thing to do or if I'd do the same thing if I were in their shoes but I definitely understand the motivation behind it and I do believe that something had to be done. It looks like Republicans have made so many promises that they haven't kept and that Democrats have been patient and have waited and are now fed up and think that this is the only way to get Republicans to keep their promises. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work either. This is such a mess :(

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    DORISPULASKI likes this.
  10. Vagabond

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/government-shuts-down-after-senate-bill-collapses-negotiations-fail/2018/01/20/dca0d7e0-fda6-11e7-8f66-2df0b94bb98a_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_shutdown0121-753am-desktoptablet:homepage/story&utm_term=.643bd8774bc5
    :rolleyes: This should be a time for some clear-headed decision making, and 1:00 a.m. on a Monday sure isn't it.

LilJen and Susan1 like this.
  11. Peaches LaTour

Peaches LaTour Well-Known Member

No. THEY continue to get paid. :mad::angryfire:wall:

AxelAnnie likes this.
  12. ballettmaus

^I don't know how serious Democrats were about their bill that members of Congress don't receive pay but it sounds like a really good idea. I have a feeling that many would have negotiated differently.

In a show of good faith, the Democrats who are sponsoring that bill could also donate the salary they receive during the shutdown as I don't think the bill will be taken up any time soon or pass. (Others are, of course, welcome to participate ;))

DORISPULASKI likes this.
  13. Prancer

Prancer Strong and stable Staff Member

I don't.

The Center for Responsive Politics analyzed the personal financial disclosure data from 2012 of the 534 current members of Congress and found that, for the first time, more than half had an average net worth of $1 million or more: 268 to be exact, up from 257 the year earlier. The median for congressional Democrats was $1.04 million and, for Republicans, $1 million even.

If the rest of us can do without a paycheck for a while, I think Congress can manage, too.

14. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple

I think some Democrats are refusing their salary. @once_upon and my former Congress critter, Lee Terry, was asked during the last shut down if he would give up his salary, and he said, "No, I have a mortgage and I kid in college."

He was eventually shamed into giving it up, and he is now no longer our Congress critter. Though the current twerp isn't much better.

genevieve, DORISPULASKI and once_upon like this.
  15. ballettmaus

Oh, I didn't mean that they'd have negotiated differently because they'd miss that bit of their salary. They can manage alright but do they want to manage? Many who have a lot of money have a tendency to want more of it. Hence my assumption that even if the bill came up for a vote it wouldn't pass.

That said, Senator Masto has announced that she'll donate the salary she receives during the shutdown. http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...te-salary-for-everyday-government-is-shutdown

DORISPULASKI likes this.
  16. Prancer

:confused: Okay.

Anyway, my husband is a federal employee and we will be doing without his pay (which is substantially bigger than mine), just as we have in the past during a shutdown. If we aren't freaking out about it--and we aren't, in spite of having a mortgage and a kid in college--I don't think most people in Congress will care one way or another. Being in Congress isn't about the pay--it's about the power and the perks. Those don't stop just because you give up a few days' pay.

It's a show. If some people are impressed, well, I guess that's something.

17. Vagabond

DORISPULASKI likes this.
  18. ballettmaus

19. Vagabond

How can we be sure that that's Trump under that cap? It could be some double the Secret Service trumped up. :unsure:

ballettmaus likes this.
  20. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

ballettmaus, ChelleC, Buzz and 5 others like this.
  21. Susan1

Susan1 Well-Known Member

Buzz likes this.
  22. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

On Joy Reid’s show today she said this message was added to the taxpayer paid comment line at the White House.

“Thank you for calling the White House. Unfortunately we cannot answer your call today because the Congressional Democrats are holding government funding-including funding for our Troops and other National Security Priorities-HOSTAGE to an unrelated Immigration debate.”

What a new low.

LilJen, DORISPULASKI, Susan1 and 3 others like this.
  23. ballettmaus

According to CNN Rep Mia Love, too, and another Republican representitive, though I forgot who. And they mentioned another Senator as well, but again, I didn't make an effort to retain the name.

These people who act like pre-schoolers are the same people who are controlling nuclear weapons. :shuffle: The immaturity is bind-blowing. And that they're all going along even more so.

I'm not buying it for the whole look of the photo. Could it have looked any more staged? And someone pointed out that Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump shouldn't have been in the office as they've previously said that they observe Shabbat. That aside, so smiling faces were ridiculous. They were supposed to be discussing a shutdown.

LilJen and DORISPULASKI like this.
  24. Vagabond

Where do Jared and Ivanka live? If they walked there, they would still be observing Shabbat.

25. ballettmaus

Last I heard they were living in the neighborhood the Obamas live in. But there was a WaPo headline not too long ago that they were reported to be house hunting. Not sure if I can see Ivanka Trump taking a stroll through DC.

26. ballettmaus

27. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

The complete absence of paperwork on his supposed working desk has been noted both for this photo but also for other ones.

I wonder how much paperwork a President keeps on their desk though. I suspect it's brought in, dealt with, and then removed. Especially if it contains sensitive and classified info.

28. Prancer

Eh? When he was first elected, I saw a lot of photos like this and a lot of efficiency experts weighing in on how inefficient his working system is as compared to Obama's, even though I have seen some photos of Obama's desk looking not quite as bad as Trump's but not quite that neat, either. I've also seen photos of both working at smaller desks in a different offices. You may notice, for example, that neither of them has a computer on the Resolute Desk, and one would think that Obama, at least, would use a computer quite often.

I don't doubt that it's staged (and really, awkwardly staged at that), but I don't think that's at all unusual or particularly meaningful, either.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  29. Vagabond

Of course he doesn't have any paperwork on his desk any more! John Kelly handles all that sort of stuff nowadays.

30. KCC

KCC Well-Known Member

Multiple sources have reported that Trump doesn't read, even 1-page briefing documents.