TSL tweeted Hawayek/Baker to Montreal

wickedwitch

Zach Donohue "liked" the tweet, so I assume it's true.

This was a disaster for P/I, so I hope H/B fare better. Because assuming the both live, they could hardly fare worse.

wickedwitch

Why do you say it is a disaster?
I said it was a disaster for P/I. Their programs were terrible (which was unsurprising considering how bad their FD from Patrice was the prior season), and their results were worse. It was just a bad match. And I hope that whatever made it a bad match for P/I doesn't happen for H/B.

jiejie

I agree with the above. While there are some interesting parallels between P/I and H/B, I always thought of P/I as competent but bland skaters that did most things well but nothing extraordinary. And regardless of program, P/I's skating never seemed to bring the music to life. I'm sure they were/are nice people but lacking in the persona/chemistry department, so I agree with above. Plus, they weren't at Gadbois all that long (1.5 years?) before injury took its toll and they retired. I think H/B have much more potential and adaptability, plus they have the currently-underappreciated-but-hopefully-soon-to-be-exalted Jean-Luc Baker, who I think is one of the best male dancers on the circuit.

skatfan

They retired before 2017 Nationals.

It seemed like they saw the writing on the wall about being the #4 couple following Virtue and Moir's return. I think it would have been really hard to dislodge those above them.

I think Hayawek and Baker can really benefit from the Gadbois team. She needs to up her game with a more talented partner, and it seems that this training team does well with the women.

arakwafan2006

Honestly , without a growth spurt ( impossible) this team is super limited. She looks like she weighs more than HIM. That is not a knock against her. She’s fit. He’s so slight. One reason Scott Moir could lift Tessa who wasn’t a lot shorter was because he was SUPER strong and in great physical shape particularly in terms of his strength. Also, Tessa is VERY strong.

Japanfan

While there are some interesting parallels between P/I and H/B, I always thought of P/I as competent but bland skaters that did most things well but nothing extraordinary. And regardless of program, P/I's skating never seemed to bring the music to life. I'm sure they were/are nice people but lacking in the persona/chemistry department, so I agree with above.

I remember feeling that they were Tessa and Scott wannabees.

But to be fair, they were elite skaters, and a whole lot don't make it as far as they did.

laviemn

P/I were the exception for Gadbois, in that all of their other teams have improved while training there in the last quad.

Some of the comments I've read online (in other places) about this have been baffling. Like concerns that their basic skating will regress and they'll be the 4th or 5th priority. This doesn't make sense to me if you've followed the Gadbois teams. I'd be more concerned about them choosing music like Love Story.

Dobre

P/I were the exception for Gadbois, in that all of their other teams have improved while training there in the last quad.

Lee & Kam didn't. They had a disappointing season after moving from Vancouver to Montreal--a season with more major mistakes, less inspiring programs, and apparently concussions for her that led to an early retirement.

No one has all success stories. You win some, and sadly you lose some.

laviemn

Lee & Kam didn't. They had a disappointing season after moving from Vancouver to Montreal--a season with more major mistakes, less inspiring programs, and apparently concussions for her that led to an early retirement.

No one has all success stories. You win some, and sadly you lose some.

I don't follow Juniors and managed to miss this team entirely. Fair point, but I think Gadbois on the balance has won more than they've lost, even if you set aside the top 2 generational talent level teams.

Specifically I was reacting to the worry about issues that are Gadbois' strengths: improving basic skating skills and equality among teams of varying ranks.

Dobre

I don't follow Juniors and managed to miss this team entirely.

Lee & Kam were seniors the year they trained in Montreal.

I think Dubreil & Lauzon are clearly good at improving skating skills. I'm not sure if this is a major issue for Hawayek & Baker. Everyone needs good skating skills, of course, and to maintain or build them. I'm just not under the impression this is H&B's major issue. I think someone else hit the nail on the head when they mentioned nerves. I've definitely seen these two tighten up in big-pressure situations. Not just the major disasters (last year's Nationals FD, this year's Worlds SD) but just missing holds & skating more tight than normal during 4CCs or last year's Nationals SD. Perhaps more solid training will help dial down the competition-time mistakes, or perhaps it's just a matter of more experience. Which H&B gained a lot of this season.

(Sticking with my opinion, though, that #3 in the U.S. right now is only just heating up & likely to be a well-fought battle for seasons to come. Though it's hard to predict which spot everyone will be fighting for in the future. None of the teams in this fight have weak skating skills).

Last edited:

barbarafan

They retired before 2017 Nationals.
They retired before just before challenge....I really thought they had found the right programs that year & loved Paul in the short dance....She was injured between short and free (from memory here)at a gp & WD.
I was upset when I saw retirement B4 challenge. G/P went to challenge..The worst fix I ever saw. In the long all marks were over 9 in PCS and 1 judge gave them 9.75 all the way down.. It made me wonder if Gadbois had got wind of the upcoming fix and if that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

StasiyaGalustyanLove

Banned Member
Honestly , without a growth spurt ( impossible) this team is super limited. She looks like she weighs more than HIM. That is not a knock against her. She’s fit. He’s so slight. One reason Scott Moir could lift Tessa who wasn’t a lot shorter was because he was SUPER strong and in great physical shape particularly in terms of his strength. Also, Tessa is VERY strong.
I thank you for your honesty! I agree that both of these two strong members may not have another spurt in they're future, but I think that with the talented Marie they will find a way to over-come limitations and perhaps get a different program then the one they have been doing for so many seasons.

I think they would be very good to choose one where he preformed as a clown and she was a mermaid, very "exotic"!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information