Tokyo 2020 controversies thread

MacMadame

Staying at home
Her family states that the decision was made by the USOPC, but the article is pretty fuzzy about what information was given about this. If athletes from other countries don't have this restriction, it's grossly unfair to put the Americans in such a position. If the limitations apply to everyone, it sucks but isn't quite as problematic. It's just a bad time to be having an event like this, and I hope those who couldn't make it - due to positive tests, inability to travel with their children or with their usual PCA - will be able to compete in 2024.

As a point of curiosity, what is required in the US for someone to be considered deaf/blind? According to the article, Becca Meyers has implants that enable some hearing; she can also read lips (obviously not feasible with everyone wearing masks), so she does have at least limited vision. I'm not at all informed on this facet of disability issues, and would be interested to know more.

"Legal blindness" means one's eyesight is 20/200 or worse. This is a federal definition.
That's corrected vision, btw. It says this in the article "They will measure your eyesight while you’re wearing glasses or contact lenses." but I thought it was still unclear that this is what they meant. So if your eyes even while wearing glasses/contacts are still that bad, you are considered legally blind.

My cousins are legally blind (and also completely color blind -- they only see shades of gray) and they did have a lot of trouble getting around as kids and had to have special accommodations at school. They could seel well enough not to bump into things and possibly even recognize familiar people. They couldn't drive though.

Sylvia

So happy the JGP season is back!
From WaPo:
Tokyo Olympic officials are closely monitoring the waterway where canoeing and rowing events are to take place for an unusual threat: Rogue oysters.
The Olympics, which were already postponed last year due to the ******** ********* and in the midst of a fresh outbreak, are bracing for the possibility of an influx of shellfish at the Sea Forest Waterway after organizers spent an estimated 140 million yen (around $1.3 million) in repairs, according to the BBC.

skatingguy

Golden Team
The above is about a fine in beach volleyball because women wanted to wear shorts instead of bikini bottoms. That was at Europeans but I guess the rules at the Olympics are just as sexist?
Rules were changed prior to the 2012 Olympics.

MsZem

I did more reading and there are three competitive classes for swimmers with visual impairments:
S/SB11: These athletes have a very low visual acuity and/ or no light perception.

S/SB12: Athletes have a higher visual acuity than athletes competing in the S/SB11 sport class and/ or a visual field of less than 5 degrees radius.

S/SB13: Athletes have the least severe vision impairment eligible for Paralympic sport. They have the highest visual acuity and/or a visual field of less than 20 degrees radius.
Becca Meyers' classification is S/SB/SM12 (S = freestyle, backstroke, butterfly; SB = breaststroke; SM = medley). I wasn't aware but apparently there is no separate category for deaf athletes in Paralympic competition? It seems like it would be relevant for some sports at least.

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
Rules were changed prior to the 2012 Olympics.

I cannot access the link but I hope that this means this ridiculous sexist rule is not enforced at the Olympics.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
So the 2032 Games host will be announced in an hour. I know Brisbane is bidding. Who are our rivals? I thought it would be ages before this was announced so I didn't read up on it!

Karen-W

So the 2032 Games host will be announced in an hour. I know Brisbane is bidding. Who are our rivals? I thought it would be ages before this was announced so I didn't read up on it!
There aren't any other rivals. Coates worked his magic with the new Agenda 2020 selection process that only allows viable candidate cities to move forward with bidding and basically cut out any other would-be candidate cities before they even had a chance to get their bids off the ground. Doha, Jakarta, Budapest and Istanbul were all apparently in various stages of organizing exploratory committees and not given a chance once Brisbane was fast-tracked by the IOC Executive Board.

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
Doha, Jakarta, Budapest and Istanbul
Doha - Summer daytime temperatures of 42 degrees celsius
Jakarta - The world's fastest sinking city that is being abandoned for a new capital city
Budapest - Country careening quickly into a far right dictatorship
Istanbul - See above

I would have fast tracked Brisbane too if I were the IOC. :shuffle:

Karen-W

Doha - Summer daytime temperatures of 42 degrees celsius
Jakarta - The world's fastest sinking city that is being abandoned for a new capital city
Budapest - Country careening quickly into a far right dictatorship
Istanbul - See above

I would have fast tracked Brisbane too if I were the IOC. :shuffle:
I did say only viable candidate cities are allowed to move forward. :rofl:

skatingguy

Golden Team
The above is about a fine in beach volleyball because women wanted to wear shorts instead of bikini bottoms. That was at Europeans but I guess the rules at the Olympics are just as sexist?
Actually it's about Beach Handball - which is not an Olympic sport.

Sylvia

The show director for the Tokyo Olympics opening ceremony has been fired on the eve of the event over a decades-old skit referencing the Holocaust, in the latest blow for organizers of the *********-delayed Games.
Kentaro Kobayashi’s comments in a video of a comedy sketch from 1998 emerged online overnight and sparked shock from some in Japan.
“It came to light that during a past performance, (he) used language that mocked a tragic fact of history,” Tokyo 2020 chief Seiko Hashimoto told reporters.

Sylvia

^^^ Speaking of SafeSport, before U.S. beach volleyball player Taylor Crabb tested positive for ********* and was sent home from Tokyo, Scott M. Reid of the Orange County Register wrote this article about him:
Crabb’s participation in the Tokyo Games, however, would not be possible had an arbitrator not reduced a 2019 USA Volleyball suspension of him through September 2021 for violating a previous ban for misconduct involving a minor age girl, according to USA Volleyball documents obtained by the Southern California News Group.
The previously unreported documents detail both Crabb’s initial suspension in 2017 and the USA Volleyball board of directors’ unanimous decision in May 2019 to extend the suspension through Sept. 28, 2021. The second decision came after he breached a settlement agreement for the first suspension by coaching at a camp for junior girls, a decision made with the clear realization that it would prevent Crabb from competing in the Tokyo Olympics, originally scheduled for 2020.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Rogue oysters....which can be lovely to eat in a restaurant...are overwhelming the canoeing or whatever else you do in the open water.

Workers began to notice in 2019 that equipment was sinking. The went in and spent over a million dollars to remove 31 metric tons of oysters.

VGThuy

Speaking of…look at the Olympians who are open about cannabis usage in preparation for training and are working to promote it at the Olympics meanwhile…

Before anyone says anything, this Twitter thread already has discussions of THC and CDB. The legality of one and not the other has its own storied complicated and racist history.

Whatever side one is one, there’s always some discrepancy over who gets punished (or locked up in the US) and who gets to flaunt their own usage and admit it’s part of their training just like all sorts of legal performing enhancing substances that athletes consume as part of their diet. It’s definitely not just an “American” problem being projected to the rest of the world as the rest of the world does have their issues with racism and anti-blackness as well.

I get there will always be some medications and drugs that should be banned and with the way sport is, we need to worry about athlete safety and unfair performance enhancing practices, but I do think there is certainly and optical issue regarding this and people bringing it up are displaying just how uneven WADA and sporting orgs can be regarding these things. I guess it helps when there are corporations finding ways to make illegal “performance enhancing substances” legal and thus can then promote it in areas that have strict generally applicable bans (on the surface) on said substances…but only the illegal version of it.

Last edited:

Vagabond

Are we using this thread for controversies during the Games?

As the contingent of Olympic athletes from Italy entered Tokyo’s Olympic Stadium for the parade of nations, the broadcaster, MBC, aired a photo of a pizza.

For Norway? A piece of salmon.

Then there was Ukraine, which the broadcaster reminded viewers was where the Chernobyl nuclear disaster happened in 1986, complete with a photo of the doomed power station....

For Romania, the broadcaster used an image of Count Dracula. And for the Marshall Islands, it noted that it had once been a nuclear test site for the United States.
:wall:

CantALoop

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information