Tokyo 2020 controversies thread

skategal

Bunny mama
Apparently it is Kara, who is Leanne's roommate.
Oh geez…..that is not good news.

I assume Kara will have a mild case considering she’s vaccinated but still what a horrible thing to have happen.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I'm not sure she is vaccinated. I don't think every athlete was asked about it so we don't have confirmation that Leanne was the only unvaccinated athlete.

ETA: According to subsequent posts, Kara said at Trials that she was vaccinated.

Last edited:

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I'm not sure she is vaccinated. I don't think every athlete was asked about it so we don't have confirmation that Leanne was the only unvaccinated athlete.

I don't have a link but I'm sure I remember reading that Eaker said after trials that she was vaccinated.

skategal

Bunny mama
Kara said she was vaccinated when asked about it at trials.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Even if they were fully vaccinated, it's still possible to get infected. The vaccine should help in terms of recovery time, but nothing is guaranteed.

MsZem

Sylvia

U.S. Qualifying season is underway!
Japanese musician Keigo Oyamada resigned on Monday from the creative team for the opening ceremony of the Tokyo Olympics after admitting that he bullied children with disabilities many years ago, in the latest scandal rocking the already unpopular games.
The resignation of Oyamada, who was in charge of composing music, comes just before Friday's ceremony after sparking an outcry on social media for his past actions, with his recent apology failing to ease the uproar online questioning the appropriateness of his role in the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics.
Oyamada, 52, said on Twitter Monday that his acceptance of the request to be part of the team was something that "lacked consideration to various people," and that he had "offered (his) resignation to the organizing committee."
Games organizers said Oyamada's part in the ceremony, a roughly four-minute composition to be played at the start, will not be used, with an alternative plan now being considered.

Sylvia

U.S. Qualifying season is underway!
Taekwondo athlete Aliyah Shipman, 18, from Plantation, Florida, is the only athlete competing for Haiti in the Tokyo Olympics and is waiting for a hearing from the Court of Arbitration for Sport:
When Aliyah Shipman was 16, she co mpeted for Team USA at the Pan Am Junior Championship, one year before she qualified for the Olympics for Haiti.
The U.S. Olympic Committee and USA Taekwondo claim that Shipman violated eligibility rules when she switched national teams —rules that are implemented by the World Taekwondo Federation, an international body that governs international sport.
Zahra Shipman, Aliyah's mom, says her daughter didn't violate age or competition rules.
“There's a rule in the World Taekwondo rule books that specifies that if an athlete has competed in certain events for one country, they cannot compete in the Olympics for another country for three years,” Zahra Shipman said.
She and the family's lawyer say the rule applies only to athletes 17 years and older. They argue it never applied to Aliyah because she was 16 when she fought for the U.S.
They also argue if there was a problem with Aliyah fighting for Haiti, the complaint should have been filed before the Olympic qualification. She had already been competing for Haiti before that decision.

MsZem

Deaf and blind paralympian told by USOC that she can't bring her personal care assistant, quits Team USA.

Her family states that the decision was made by the USOPC, but the article is pretty fuzzy about what information was given about this. If athletes from other countries don't have this restriction, it's grossly unfair to put the Americans in such a position. If the limitations apply to everyone, it sucks but isn't quite as problematic. It's just a bad time to be having an event like this, and I hope those who couldn't make it - due to positive tests, inability to travel with their children or with their usual PCA - will be able to compete in 2024.

As a point of curiosity, what is required in the US for someone to be considered deaf/blind? According to the article, Becca Meyers has implants that enable some hearing; she can also read lips (obviously not feasible with everyone wearing masks), so she does have at least limited vision. I'm not at all informed on this facet of disability issues, and would be interested to know more.

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
The above is about a fine in beach volleyball because women wanted to wear shorts instead of bikini bottoms. That was at Europeans but I guess the rules at the Olympics are just as sexist?

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
The head of the Olympic organizing committee does not rule out a possible last minute cancellation.

The head of the organizing committee for the Tokyo Olympics on Tuesday did not rule out a last-minute cancellation of the global sporting showpiece, amid rising ******** cases that have presented organizers with mounting challenges.

Asked at a news conference if the Games, which are due to open on Friday, might still be canceled, Toshiro Muto said he would keep an eye on infection numbers and hold discussions with organizers if necessary.

“We can’t predict what will happen with the number of ******** cases. So we will continue discussions if there is a spike in cases,” said Muto.

“We have agreed that based on the ******** situation, we will convene five-party talks again. At this point, the ******** cases may rise or fall, so we will think about what we should do when the situation arises.”

Vagabond

As a point of curiosity, what is required in the US for someone to be considered deaf/blind?
"Legal blindness" means one's eyesight is 20/200 or worse. This is a federal definition.

I had never come across the term "legal deafness" before, but it turns out that it exists and is defined at the state level.

The International Paralympic Committee must have its own definitions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information