Tokyo 2020 controversies thread

skatingguy

Golden Team
I’ll start this one off with this.

If the Irish swimmers are as entertaining as the Irish rowers from the last Olympics I really hope they win a medal.

Vagabond

The organisers of the 2020 Olympics have repeatedly vowed to put on a “safe and secure” Games during the ******** *********. But safe sex – or anything approaching intimacy for that matter – will be forbidden for athletes competing in Tokyo.

The International Olympic Committee this week repeated demands that residents of the Olympic village must observe social distancing guidelines to prevent an outbreak of *********-19, threatening rule-breakers with a range of penalties, including fines, disqualification or even deportation.
🤔 Are the Games being staged in Tokyo or Vatican City? :confused:

Last edited:

Vagabond

[FINA] said the caps did not fit “the natural form of the head” and to their “best knowledge the athletes competing at the international events never used, neither require … caps of such size and configuration”....

The original swimming cap, designed by Speedo 50, was created to prevent Caucasian hair from flowing into the face when swimming. Obe said the caps did not work for afro hair, which “grows up and defies gravity”.

She said: “We need the space and the volume which products like the Soul Caps allow for. Inclusivity is realising that no one head shape is ‘normal’.”
Could FINA be any more out of touch?

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
It does not. It's a personal link tied to you with a time limit. Even if one takes off everything after the ? you still get told to use the link in your email instead.

Just an FYI.
Thank you for the information.

I will now erase my post. Oh well.

And now that I've done it, I guess you should erase yours as well.

Thanks!

starrynight

The ban on political protests still applies to during events, on the podiums, in the Olympic village and at the official ceremonies.

I imagine it is designed to give the athletes leniency to post stuff on instagram or do interviews if they want.

And it seems to be a mainly USA/North American focused step too, to allow the sort of individual social network activism-lite which is common now. Otherwise the IOC would be stuck policing every meme the athletes uploaded to instagram stories. Things like Instagram stories didnt even exist at the last summer Olympics.

I think this is why the exception has been made, as the IOC aren't expecting nations to organise athletes to use the exception to conduct political events to further agitate ongoing conflicts between countries. For example like the Eritrean team staging a protest against the Ethiopian team or something of the like.

Last edited:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
It's not going to be like Russia invading another country like they did during which Olympics was that?

VALuvsMKwan

Wandering Goy
It's not going to be like Russia invading another country like they did during which Olympics was that?
What was then Czechoslovakia before the 1968 Olympics, prompting Vera Caslavska's elegantly subtle head turn protest during medal ceremonies involving herself and Russian gymnasts:

Vagabond

Facing a backlash, FINA is reconsidering its ban on the Soul Cap.

I am glad that there is a critical mass of black swimmers backing this. I remember when Enith Brigitha became the first black person to win an Olympic medal in swimming. (And it should have been a gold medal, given who finished ahead of her!)

morqet

rising like a phoenix
https://english.kyodonews.net/tokyo...or-olympics-tests-positive-for-*********.html

One of the US WAG team tests positive - teenager means it must be Suni Lee or Grace McCallum? And will this mean that her teammates will have to isolate as close contacts?

Sarah

One of the US WAG team tests positive - teenager means it must be Suni Lee or Grace McCallum? And will this mean that her teammates will have to isolate as close contacts?
AP tweeted that it is an alternate. All 6 have been posting on Instagram today from the Olympic village.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information