Thread for Topics that Don't Have Their Own Thread

once_upon

Enough
Nowhere else to put my thoughts/frustrations and they are all on the political side.

March 2020 and beyond, I would run to FSU daily/hourly to find out news on Covid. Which meant unending political sh!t

May 2020 Floyd's death and aftermath. Which meant unending political fights

November 2020 Election results - ditto on political fights

January 2021 - we all know what that ended being

February 2021 - Mandated Vaccines. Yep you guess it.

March 2021 - February 2022, I'm sure there was stuff my brain can no longer

February 2022 - Ukraine. Now I'm rushing to do 30 minute checks on status

April 2022 - leaked Roe v Wade

May 2022 - guns/mass shootings

Seriously - it's not stopping.

Susan1

This is hysterical. I found it because it was in a Buzzfeed thing about how celebrities are so out of touch. Well, duh this was a joke on her show. Almost 10 minutes, but worth it.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Nowhere else to put my thoughts/frustrations and they are all on the political side.

March 2020 and beyond, I would run to FSU daily/hourly to find out news on Covid. Which meant unending political sh!t

May 2020 Floyd's death and aftermath. Which meant unending political fights

November 2020 Election results - ditto on political fights

January 2021 - we all know what that ended being

February 2021 - Mandated Vaccines. Yep you guess it.

March 2021 - February 2022, I'm sure there was stuff my brain can no longer

February 2022 - Ukraine. Now I'm rushing to do 30 minute checks on status

April 2022 - leaked Roe v Wade

May 2022 - guns/mass shootings

Seriously - it's not stopping.
Crazy how much has happened in such a short amount of time

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Nature, always interfering with people's vacation plans (j/k)

If anyone keeps going after seeing those warnings, they are probably the same kind of people that give bears treats to get a better picture for their social media :shuffle:

Cachoo

If anyone keeps going after seeing those warnings, they are probably the same kind of people that give bears treats to get a better picture for their social media :shuffle:
Or try to pet a bison. That doesn't end well. I wonder if the animals are like "Phew! We needed a break from them."

MacMadame

Doing all the things

I think of them more like the people who keep going up to Tahoe when it's snowing and have to be rescued wasting the time of the first responders.

attyfan

once_upon

Enough
I was thinking about healthcare, mental illness and youth and ran into this story in WaPo.
I read that yesterday. I understand their wish to blame the drug - I'm not supporting pharmaceutical companies either - but I'm surprised there was not a discussion of schizophrenia. He was at the age that schizophrenia develops, he was male, schizophrenia has some of the same manifestations.

Mental health access is abysmal in the US. I believe he should have been assessed and kept in a hospital setting until they had a proper diagnosis - drug side effects, mental illness.

jenny12

A school board in Florida ruled that if a LGBTQ student is in a PE class or attending an overnight trip, all the parents will receive a notification about it. This is outrageous but unsurprising bigotry from a Florida school board and is another example of Conservatives trying to paint LGBTQ people as predators.

Last edited:

annie720

I read that yesterday. I understand their wish to blame the drug - I'm not supporting pharmaceutical companies either - but I'm surprised there was not a discussion of schizophrenia. He was at the age that schizophrenia develops, he was male, schizophrenia has some of the same manifestations.

Mental health access is abysmal in the US. I believe he should have been assessed and kept in a hospital setting until they had a proper diagnosis - drug side effects, mental illness.
This is eerie. Just a hour ago, I finished reading this month's book club book, Hunting Valley Road, the story of a family with a strong history of schizophrenia (6 out of 12 kids) and the history of research into the illness. Having a family member who developed psychotic symptoms after having a bad reaction to a drug commonly used to treat anxiety, they are smart to be questioning his meds. I feel for the parents.

Susan1

It doesn't specify that it HAS to be political, so....everyone on my city's chat page was wondering about the sirens yesterday. They found out it was a fire, and where. A person on the chat page said they almost burned down their garage with a sparkler. AND THAT THE PUPPIES WERE O.K. WTH? So on our local news at noon, they had the story -

Fireman with a puppy. There should be a calendar. Anyway, there's no place for comments on our local news page, but there is on this one:

Of course no strangers around the country are going to click on this story. So, long story long (duh), can everybody and everybody you know comment on this yahoo page that the person who started the fire should be arrested and charged with endangering puppies or whatever it is technically called? I can't do it because if they go looking for the story, they know who I am from the chat page and they "know where I live". I can't stop thinking about it. Puppies.

caseyedwards

I wonder how big a story this will get?!?! DC calling out national guard to deal with migrants shipped there by Texas!! Like I wonder how many Texas will ship there. And what national guard will do. And will DC build a wall to block vehicles from Texas

Dobre

"Two Pennsylvania judges who orchestrated a scheme to send children to for-profit jails in exchange for kickbacks were ordered to pay more than $200 million to hundreds who fell victim to their crimes. U.S. District Judge Christopher Conner awarded $106M in compensatory damages and $100M in punitive damages to nearly 300 plaintiffs in a long-running civil suit against the judges in what came to be known as the kids-for-cash scandal. The Pennsylvania Supreme Court threw out some 4,000 juvenile convictions after the scheme was uncovered.

It's not clear whether the plaintiffs — now well into adulthood — will see any of the eye-popping damages award. Marsha Levick, co-founder and chief counsel of the Philadelphia-based Juvenile Law Center and a lawyer for the plaintiffs, said Wednesday she 'can't imagine there is any money out there.'

In his decision, Conner wrote that the plaintiffs are “the tragic human casualties of a scandal of epic proportions.” Children as young as 8 were ordered to detention, many of them first-time offenders convicted of petty theft and other minor crimes."

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information