Things you've always wondered about but now is the time to find out!

canbelto

Ok so before we were told to work from home last week we had this big school meeting. And some teachers (I teach at a non-religious charter school) objected to girls wearing jeans. They said it goes against "their religious beliefs." I know that some religions prohibit women from wearing pants, but these women wear pants. They specifically said that girls wearing jeans was "disgusting." They said boys wearing jeans was fine, but girls wearing jeans was "disgusting."

What is it about JEANS in particular that gets people really worked up?

So any other random quarantined questions people have and want answered? :lol:

KatieC

I wasn’t allowed to wear jeans or corduroys as a child. I could wear polyester pants but only with a dress over top.
We must have attended the same school. As a child, I couldn't figure out why, since I had two legs, I couldn't wear pants. It wasn't logical to me.
We certainly couldn't wear jeans. But this was in the seventies.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
Ugh, yes, I went to a school like that through second grade--we were only allowed to wear pants (and no jeans) in the winter under a dress and only during recess or on the bus.

Some religions won't let girls wear pants at all and those religions generally consider jeans the worst because they incite lustful thoughts in men.

quartz

almost, but not quite
It wasn’t a school policy, it was my father’s, who had some twisted religious rules about what was appropriate for a girl to wear. I got my first pair of jeans when I was 13, after he left home.

BaileyCatts

I've always wondered why the Catholic School girls uniform was basically a mini-skirt. You couldn't even wear skirts that short in the public schools. :shuffle:

quartz

almost, but not quite
They aren’t mini skirts - the girls just roll up the waist bands to make them shorter.

canbelto

Ugh, yes, I went to a school like that through second grade--we were only allowed to wear pants (and no jeans) in the winter under a dress and only during recess or on the bus.

Some religions won't let girls wear pants at all and those religions generally consider jeans the worst because they incite lustful thoughts in men.

The thing is though ... why jeans in particular? Why not yoga pants, cigarette pants, or other form fitting pants?

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
The thing is though ... why jeans in particular? Why not yoga pants, cigarette pants, or other form fitting pants?

Dunno. I wouldn't think those would be acceptable, either. But back in the day (and religious conservatives think way back in the day) jeans were kind of a counterculture thing.

quartz

almost, but not quite
I also wasn’t allowed to have my hair cut, other than keeping the ends from being straggly. Again, at 13, I got my first haircut - a shoulder length pageboy!

MacMadame

Staying at home
When I grew up, we weren't allowed to wear pants at school either. (To school, under a dress was okay but not once you got to school). My friend Loretta wore them anyway because she was a rebel. Because we were good students and well behaved otherwise, they left her alone. She wasn't the only one and during that time the mini-skirt became popular, so by the time we finished Jr High, they had given up on that rule.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
No pants of any kind at my high school. They changed it the year after I graduated.
At college, my dorm had a “no pants in the dining room rule“. We had to change for dinner. That wasn’t dropped until my sophomore year. A bunch of freshmen rebelled and wore the ugliest, rattiest skirts and dresses to dinner until the administration caved.
I thought I was finally free until I took an on campus job after I graduated. No pants allowed with the added insult of requiring hose.

When people whine about craving those times, I wince.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information