Things you are rethinking

nlloyd

Many of us have faced changes in our lives as a result of the measures put in place to contain C19, whether we're working on the front lines or staying at home. Are there things that you have realized and/or are rethinking in your life as a result?

Having to work from home has led me to realize how important my home and immediate neighbourhood are to me. I have a long commute usually, and this has resulted in my treating home more like a train station. When the province starts to lift restrictions, and I am able to go into work, I am hoping to find more ways to make home truly home.

Lynn226

This is a great topic and I wonder how much the world will change as a result of *********-19. At some point, the changes will seem like normal life.

I've realized I enjoy working from home. I'm lucky to still have a job and no loss of income. The losses to my TSP (401K for federal employees) were substantial, but I still hope to retire at my first elegibility in less than 10 years.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
I’m thinking how fortunate I am, both in experience and financially. Growing up fairly poor, I’m no stranger to making groceries stretch. I got a good education and had great mentors, so it’s easy for me to dig through all the information out there and figure out what’s real and how it applies to me. Being retired, I have no worries about losing my job. My extended family is in reasonably good shape as well. All in all, just VERY fortunate.

PRlady

I realized that being a white-collar knowledge worker is a position of inestimable privilege, especially since I don't work for corporations willing to sacrifice me for the bottom line.

And I also realized that this writer is sadly correct: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/06/underlying-conditions/610261/

On a lighter note I realized that having a young cat around who is into everything and sort of a mini-tornado of destruction has its entertainment value under lockdown circumstances.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I was going to continue working another year or two, but the vulnerability of my job is too great. I'm going to leave at the end of the spring 2021 term or as soon as I can sell my house. I figure they will coincide. As program chair, I'm only facing a mandatory vacation day/per week, but the rest of the faculty are facing a full furlough until late July. But, if we can't get students into the hospital for clinical rotations, my job and the school become in jeopardy. I'm not willing to wait around and see. So, as soon as the market makes selling reasonable (I'm not looking for a profit---just to break even) I'm taking my 403b and heading west.

once_upon

Vaccinated
I know I'm fortunate, I'm retired and my husband has a good work from home (even before CV). But I will be rethinking each discretionary expenditure in the future. Like do I really need this or is it feeding my "need" to have more stuff. I'm not going to get gel manicures in the future and my not color my hair.

What we will return to is going out eat when it seems somewhat safe to do that.

I have noticed I buy more of stuff I think I need (hand soap for one). I'm going to stop that now.

skatfan

I am thinking about job/employment stuff. It's hard to know how many churches will survive this *********. My current transitional position is likely to extend out longer, but what may or may not be after that I don't know. Yesterday a family friend who is a Hollywood film editor watched my Sunday online service and said I should consider voice-over/narration work because I'm pretty polished. I think I will look into it for another source of income.

Last edited:

SkateSand

Cat Servant
I'm rethinking employment. I quit my job-from-hell at the very beginning of March, thinking I had savings to tide me by until I got another job, plus social security income that I started collecting in February, and our local employment market heavily favored the worker as employers were desperate for employees. At my former company, it always took forever to hire anyone because the pickings were so slim - most of the best workers were already employed by big companies that provided great pay and this was a small, family owned business. Everything has changed now. And I've really been enjoying my time at home. I always thought I would be bored out of my mind not working as I've always been in the work force since college. But it's been so peaceful and relaxing finding things to do around the house and garden to keep me busy, plus I feel healthier since I have more time to exercise and get outdoors in our rural area. I'm just so much happier. So I'm trying to see if there is any way at all to live on my current social security income. I'd have to give up all traveling and many other perks. It would be tough to never attend another Skate America. :(

PRlady

I am thinking about job/employment stuff. It's hard to know how many churches will survive this *********. My current transitional position is likely to extend out longer, but what may or may not be after that I don't know. Yesterday a family friend who is a Hollywood film editor watched my Sunday online service and said I should consider voice-over/narration work because I'm pretty polished. I think I will look into it for another source of income.

Consider recording audiobooks. You have to invest in some recording equipment but they’re desperate for good voices and pay decently.

I’ve rethought staying home when I could go out. I’ll never be a social butterfly but I’m really appreciating theater, dinner with friends, lectures and concerts. Once it’s safe to go out, out I will go.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I think realising that life is too short to live with regrets. I did it a few years ago after radiation therapy, moved to a place I wanted to live and have not looked back. Best decision I made. And being absolutely grateful for everything I have here and in life. Other people have it much tougher.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Maybe just a long vacation when this settles down? (Admitting / discharge sounds kind of boring to me though I'm sure people love that job.)

Japanfan

Anyone else hoping that this brings back drive-in movie theaters? 😃 🎥 🚘 🍿

One near here reopened a few weeks ago and offered a double bill. I don't know for how many viewings, or for how long. My friend took her 10 year old daughter, who thought it was great fun to wear her pajamas to the movies.

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I am rethinking getting up in the morning. One more repeat. I call my sister daily and just say "Repeat". Is there a way to sleep through this. Way too much awake time.

Anyone else hoping that this brings back drive-in movie theaters? 😃 🎥 🚘 🍿

Ours never shut down and will be open in a couple of weeks when all the snow is gone and the ground firms up :) Also, a friend of mine bought a radio transmitter thing off of amazon and started doing his own on the side of Canadian Tire. He does a 45 minute loop of classic cartoons like looney tunes. He and his kids are also running kids trivia out of a parking lot with his transmitter.

Marge_Simpson

I was crunching numbers and considering early retirement, now I am determined to do it. If I am still alive by then.
About 2 years ago I changed my shift from evenings to days, thinking it would eliminate a lot of stress at work.
I’ve realized it was a huge mistake due to my incompetent supervisor. I am planning to switch back at the first opportunity.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
@Marge_Simpson It’s funny, but a lot of hospital jobs are like that. There’s a reason that many of the most competent trauma people choose nights.

michalle

I would love us to re-think nursing homes as a society, but that's hard to do, I'm not sure what a better solution is. My own experiences visiting older relatives at nursing homes has left me really sad about them, I have not found them to be a very positive environment, no matter how skilled the staff. The relatives in assisted living seemed happier. But it may be that not everyone is able to be in that kind of environment if they need more intense care.

For myself, I've never wanted a house or land but now I feel more desire for it but it may be too late given my age and that I've not prioritized the kinds of things that would put me in a position to have either of those two things any time soon. But also, I don't want to over-react and make changes that aren't true to my actual priorities based on an unusual situation.

once_upon

Vaccinated
There are limitations to what an assisted living facility can do for residents. There comes a time where care needs exceeds what assisted living can do.

It was hard for dad to move into an assisted living situation for mom (he was the independent resident receiving assistance for mom when he could no longer solely care for her). It was much more difficult to move her into a skilled nursing care facility because assisted living could no longer care for her.

Both populations are at risk, skilled care more.

Dad lives in a complex that has independent living (him) and assisted living. The complex is isolated, even though dad is independent and could go to the grocery store/pharmacy if he does he receives 30 day eviction because the complex is in a total stay at home order by the facility management.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
I think there is too much stuff in our house. I discovered a lunch bag that I got at a skating competition and TBH not only have I never used it, I don't even remember getting it :shuffle:

There are things that I keep for sentimental value, but I think I don't need as many of them :lol:. Also the "well I might need this someday" reason. I know that down that path lies an episode of Hoarders, and I'm not even close to that yet. But if I've had something for a couple of years of "someday" and haven't used it - especially if it's something that I could buy if I really needed - I can probably manage without it.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I think there is too much stuff in our house. I discovered a lunch bag that I got at a skating competition and TBH not only have I never used it, I don't even remember getting it :shuffle:

There are things that I keep for sentimental value, but I think I don't need as many of them :lol:. Also the "well I might need this someday" reason. I know that down that path lies an episode of Hoarders, and I'm not even close to that yet. But if I've had something for a couple of years of "someday" and haven't used it - especially if it's something that I could buy if I really needed - I can probably manage without it.
Marie Konda that sh*t!!! :p

PRlady

I’m definitely rethinking online shopping. I’ve bought almost nothing for two months except a few real necessities, elegant stuff like dental cement.

I don’t need more clothes and not shopping is going to save a lot of money.

Lizziebeth

We try to buy things locally. Order online and have curbside pickup. However, we are guilty of ordering garden plants online. I can't help myself, I have a gardening passion. My excuse is that the selection is incredible and I already have a lot of plants and I am looking for plants I don't already own. And, I really would love to go browse at the local nurseries but I really don't feel comfortable doing that.

Other than that, I have not shopped for much more than groceries and a few items at Home Depot which I am going to pick up today.

My spuds arrived yesterday and it is going to be nice out for the next few days so I can plant them. Maybe spring is here?????

once_upon

Vaccinated
Other than groceries and prescriptions I haven't bought anything since February or abouts.
Oh I guess I've purchased Kindle books, and cloth masks that may or may not arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information