Things I Actually Like About These Times

Vagabond

My city is temporarily permitting restaurants to fence off parking spaces directly in front of their premises for use for outdoor dining.

Susan1

I have to take back what I said about not getting as many robocalls. My phone has rung 7 times today. One was a person for me. And the library should have called at 11 to tell me I had 3 books ready to pick up, but they didn't. I had to check the website. The one for DP&L customers to save money (by switching) comes from different numbers EVERY DAY, so there is no way to report them. One came to the door a couple weeks ago. Desperate much?

taz'smum

as @Jesche says - мама knows best
I like the fact that it is now acceptable to be an anti-social hermit! 😁
I have now a perfectly acceptable excuse to turn down invitations to social events, yahoo!!🥳
I feel liberated!

I also love the current trend of make do and mend.
It is finally acceptable to keep on wearing clothes until they are worn out!
I am enjoying living frugally and doing my little bit to save the planet!

once_upon

Voter
Ordering from the kids menu. No one can say im under 12 when ordering online, they don't know if its for me or for a kid.
Kids meals are about the right size. Tonight we got takeout from Cheesecake Factory, their meals are huge. Even with the kids meal, I have leftovers.

Peaches LaTour

My city (Ventura) closed downtown Main Street to vehicles, so the restaurants could have outdoor seating. It has become so popular that many people want to make it permanent.

Oh! I lived in downtown Ventura for 20 years. I miss it so very much. Love the idea of no driving on Main Street but is the traffic now going down Santa Clara?

After 3 years of procrastination, I finally went out and bought a second car. I guess that is a good thing?

Vagabond

I like the quiet, even now.
It appears that I am not alone.
Birds responded by producing higher performance songs at lower amplitudes, maximizing communication distance and salience.

"We found that birds sang more softly when noise levels were lower and at shorter recording distances before and during the shutdown," researchers said in the study.

Even though the birds were singing more softly, the study found that communication distance nearly doubled, elevating species fitness and increasing mating potential.
🤔 I wonder whether this is applicable to human beings too.

taz'smum

as @Jesche says - мама knows best
It appears that I am not alone.

Ah that explains the noise from the birds in the trees in petanque club opposite.
The noise is deafening at times so the petanque players have taken to banging on saucepans to disperse the birds.

PRlady

My city is temporarily permitting restaurants to fence off parking spaces directly in front of their premises for use for outdoor dining.

Mine too. It’s nice walking in the fall weather with all these tented patios taking parking spots. Since so few people are driving anyway, it’s a good use of space.

We are also saving pretty much my husband’s salary every month and living on mine. Meaning if he wants to quit his problematic job he can, and by 2022 we will both be retired and eligible for full social security.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Pre-C0vid, I'd be appalled at what I weigh.

Now I'm thrilled at what I weigh.

MacMadame

Staying at home
I love the lack of traffic still. I would like the US to rethink how they zone and layout cities and towns. Instead of having Starbucks on 2 corners across the street from each other in a downtown city, they could spread out so that people working from home could take a walk down and grab a coffee. I'm lucky because my neighborhood has an actual downtown with a PO and restaurants and even a museum and it's even somewhat in walking distance for us. But a lot of suburbs aren't like that.

clairecloutier

Traffic in our area has definitely increased a lot, at least around town. I'd say it's like 80 percent back to normal. Same with parking.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
Traffic in our area has definitely increased a lot, at least around town. I'd say it's like 80 percent back to normal. Same with parking.

Definitely true here. The only reason parking is great at work is that there are hardly any students on campus. Everywhere else I go, it's exactly like it was last fall.

I would say our traffic is back to normal and has been for some time. I don't think most stores are quite as busy as they were, but for the most part, you would never know we'd ever SIP or that anyone was avoiding crowds.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
Yeah, traffic is terrible here. Not as many people working outside the home - but anyone with the means to drive their own car is now doing so instead of taking transit.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
My freshman comp students had to write essays in response to current events and several of them chose to respond to an opinion piece in a college newspaper about stress, anxiety and trying to be positive during the *********.

Every one of them said that, while they are experiencing stress and anxiety because of uncertainty, they are also grateful that they had had a break to just sit and breathe and think (not in so many words, but that is the gist). It's given them some time to think about what is meaningful in their lives and make some changes in their priorities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information