Things I Actually Like About These Times

Vagabond

I do actually like some things about these times.

I like the quiet, even now.
I like it that Very few people are smoking in public.
I like the lighter traffic.
I like it that the city blocked off the road along the highest open views in the city to motor vehicles.
I like being able to call my friends and getting an answer.
I like it that people I pass on my walks say Hello and "Stay safe."

What do you like?

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Less traffic has been a nice silver lining.

The good part about my kids not being in school/camp, so far, is that I don’t have to get them ready for school/camp in the morning. (With all that entails. 🙃)

Similarly, the good side of them not being able to do many activities (sports, drama, etc) is that I don’t have to take them back and forth to all that stuff (and/or wait while they’re doing it).

jlmart

As I am mobility impaired I have to admit I am loving the curbside delivery from a lot of the restaurants. The good news as far as I am concerned is that some of the restaurants say they have found it so popular and successful they are considering continuing the service even after the crud is gone.

Last edited:
I’ve ended up with an extended mat leave. I would never have chosen to still be home but I am enjoying it more than I thought. We go on lots of long, meandering walks letting the kids dictate our path and pace. I’m also getting lots of quality time with my senior dog. It’s nice to have time with her while she’s still active and healthy. I expect that won’t last much longer.

vesperholly

It has forced my employer to accommodate working from home, which they were resolutely against previously. I have an office job that is 100% accomplished by phone and email (we service accounts along the entire East coast). They got us tablet computers with monitor setups at home and at the office. We aren't permanent WFH but there is flexibility now. I think this will help greatly with morale, retention and even in hiring better candidates.

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
I have been on holiday in Slovenia these past two weeks and there I spoke to people from Germany, Slovenia, the Netherlands and Belgium.
Never before has the WHOLE WORLD without any country missing out been in the exact same situation. Whatever I talked about in regard to the 'rona, the other knew about it too and experienced the same or very similar thing. In a way the world has gotten closer together.

Other than that - I like the new possibilities with home office that have arisen now. Not important for me but I think the impact of this, environmentally, will be very good.
Lots of new and nice business ideas. Things I thought for a long time should be feasible like not having to wait in a crowded waiting room in a doctors office but getting a text message a few minutes before one actually has to go in, more in-front-of-the-computer seminars

once_upon

Voter
My brother has set up a weekly zoom meeting with my sibs, my dad, my aunts, and cousins.

They usually last an hour, then my brother turns it over to my aunt Sharon who is the youngest of my dad's siblings for the sisters and dad. The four of them talk for a while longer.

My aunts are 93, 88, 80 and dad is 91. One aunt is in assisted living in Missouri, one aunt is in Colorado Springs and one aunt is in North Carolina. They all pretty much know that dad's birthday party last year is going to be the last time they are physically in the same room even if ********* vaccine becomes available.

Its good they can all be together even if it is just a zoom call.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
I like being home all the time. I never thought I'd be "retired" at this point in time, but I've decided I am really enjoying it. Even the cats are happy I'm home (once one of them got over the fact that I had taken over her favorite nap chair :lol: ).

Susan1

For a while there, no spam and sales calls. I'm still only getting one every 4 days or something. Some police thing keeps calling. It says "political call" on the readout so I keep picking up thinking it might be a poll. I keep telling them to stop calling. And it's a different number every time, so I don't know.

LadyM76

I like that a lot of the bigger more crowded events have been cancelled. I get anxiety around crowds and people I don't know. I like that everyone moves away from each other now, and not just me. I have been doing that for years, and used to get some weird looks. I like more time with my dog and more time at home.

Last edited:

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
I asked my students how they are being affected by the crud and a number of them had positive things to say. They were enjoying spending more time with their families, they were finding pleasure in simpler things (board games and jigsaw puzzles, for example), many of them had started doing yoga and other activities to fill time/de-stress that they were enjoying, and several of them commented that it was nice to just slow down and not feel quite so stressed all the time.

I was surprised at how many of them were more inclined to express positive thoughts than complaints. I was expecting a lot of complaints. I got some of those, too, but I got more positive comments.

attyfan

My city (Ventura) closed downtown Main Street to vehicles, so the restaurants could have outdoor seating. It has become so popular that many people want to make it permanent.

once_upon

Voter
Our HOA group did a go fund me project to provide a summer music series since the city canceled the bridge beats one.

Today I got an update from the organizer. We are have a fall series - three different Friday nights. We will have music in the commons this weekend, in two weeks and 1st weekend in October.

This would not have happened pre YKW.

Habs

In hindsight, I liked that it forced my family to slow down. Mr. Habs and I work at home now, so we eat dinner at a regular and reasonable time every night. We stopped rushing off to dance, swimming lessons, soccer, etc., multiple times a week. The laundry is done. We play board games with the kids. We've been able to save money by not grabbing lunch/coffee every day.
I feel very fortunate that this has been our reality as I know there are so many people struggling.

Vagabond

I have liked being able to park in residential areas around town and not having to worry about moving my car within the time limit. Too bad that enforcement resumes next week!

Lemonade20

Former Kurtholic
I live in a fairly quiet town and I noticed that traffic is up, along with shopping and all. People are starting to hoard again ahead of the cold/flu season and it's crazy what's going out of stock. Think fridges, freezers, batteries.

Amy L

I like not being expected to hug everyone all the damn time. I live in the south, so if I run into the mother of one of my husband's old high school friends, I'm expected to hug her even if I never met her before because it's few enough degrees of separation and that means we're practically family. (this literally happened right before the lockdown, on March 1, and I was uncomfortable as hell) I've always been uncomfortable hugging strangers -- and even, like, distant relatives. Really, I will hug my mom or the hubs, no problem, but I am squicked out by the thought of random people touching me. No more! Ha!

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
I like not being expected to hug everyone all the damn time. I live in the south, so if I run into the mother of one of my husband's old high school friends, I'm expected to hug her even if I never met her before because it's few enough degrees of separation and that means we're practically family. (this literally happened right before the lockdown, on March 1, and I was uncomfortable as hell) I've always been uncomfortable hugging strangers -- and even, like, distant relatives. Really, I will hug my mom or the hubs, no problem, but I am squicked out by the thought of random people touching me. No more! Ha!
That is what I like as well. My MIL always hugs. But not only hugs but keeps me in her arms and then plants a wet kiss on me.
I told her before ykw that I dont like it but she never really stopped unless I sort of bodily threw her away from me (which I did, I fcking hate it if people do this kind of hug to me)
No more, yeah!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information