Things I’m sick of tbh.....

Susan1

It's been months since Sharpie explained that we can't use certain terms due to the impact on advertising revenue and instituted the filter, yet people continue to post links that end up broken because they include terms like pandemlc, vlrus, or COVlD-19. Put them through a URL shortener or find a different link!

Unless it's no longer a concern and the filter can be discontinued?
Wondering how you used all those words in your post without them being *****d?

MsZem

Wondering how you used all those words in your post without them being *****d?
I used a lowercase L instead of an I in each word. I don't think that affects advertising interest and it makes my meaning clearer than referring to "the crud", "la rona", YKW or BB (though to each their own, obviously).

You can also swap an asterisk for one of the letters. Though none of this works with links ;)

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Ok this is more a personal thing but I know this lady and she's a real nice lady but every day she sends me a FB messenger photo of a flower or tree which she's edited into something along the lines of "there is still beauty in the world" or "********* cannot kill nature's beauty." At first I thought they were nice but now she's been sending these nonstop and I'm really sick of them but don't know how to tell her to stop.
Put her on a 30 day time out

SHARPIE

Administrator
Staff member
I’m not removing the filters.

Im sick of seeing people complaining and judging on local Facebook pages about people not social distancing at the pubs etc, when I’m actually friends with them on Facebook and saw photos of them at a party on Saturday night totally not socially distancing either and hugging lots of people! :lol:

MsZem

I’m not removing the filters.
@SHARPIE - I thought it might still be an issue. Is the workaround of replacing letters with other letters or symbols okay? I assume it doesn't affect traffic/revenue, but do let me know if it's a problem.

Jenny

From the Bloc
This is what I'm finding as we gradually move forward with this, that everyone has a different definition of what is safe and what risks they are willing to take.

What we all need to do is be honest with others about our behaviours before spending time with them, and respect the decisions others are making along the way.

I mean obviously not the stupid stuff (a friend told us his brother has taken his family to Florida for a vacation - Florida!!), but things like where and how often you go out, who you're seeing, what precautions you're taking.

I mentioned in the other thread that we had seen friends this past weekend for the first time, and only after having several conversations that led us to believe that the risk would be very low. Then when they got here, they told us about all the other stuff they've been doing these past few months that we didn't know about, several of which we consider much, much higher risk than they obviously do.

And they made a big deal of saying they'd been tested. Well that was several weeks ago now - aside from the obvious fact that they've had plenty of time (and occasions) to be infected since, there's the other fact that a lot of people seem to be ignoring, and that's that testing is not 100% accurate, not even close.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Staying at home
What we all need to do is be honest with others about our behaviours before spending time with them, and respect the decisions others are making along the way.
I think a lot of this is that people use soft words that have different meanings for different people. So it's not that they are lying. It's that instead of saying "I visit my grandson once a week, go out to eat 2x a week, go shopping regularly." they say "I've been being careful." The later is completely meaningless as it could mean anything. The former gives people information to make a decision.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Agree that people need to be more specific, but in fact we were - I just didn't go into all the detail in the above post. We told them exactly what we had been doing, and they told us - only they left out quite a bit that they didn't think was worth mentioning because in their minds, it was all low risk. To them.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Agree that people need to be more specific, but in fact we were - I just didn't go into all the detail in the above post. We told them exactly what we had been doing, and they told us - only they left out quite a bit that they didn't think was worth mentioning because in their minds, it was all low risk. To them.
People can really suck sometimes.

SHARPIE

Administrator
Staff member
@SHARPIE - I thought it might still be an issue. Is the workaround of replacing letters with other letters or symbols okay? I assume it doesn't affect traffic/revenue, but do let me know if it's a problem.
I would rather people didn’t tbh. :)

MacMadame

Staying at home
CV it is, then :)
The only ones I do substitution for are pand*mic and vir*s and only if the word isn't clear by context. Though I often reword the sentence to use different words, things like "this situation" or "the crisis", instead of pan-dem-ic.

TygerLily

The only ones I do substitution for are pand*mic and vir*s and only if the word isn't clear by context. Though I often reword the sentence to use different words, things like "this situation" or "the crisis", instead of pan-dem-ic.
“In these unprecedented times”? :saint::lynch:

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
I miss Ted Barton
About now would be the time to look forward to the JGP series but it is not to be :-(

Louis

Private citizen
It's been months since Sharpie explained that we can't use certain terms due to the impact on advertising revenue and instituted the filter, yet people continue to post links that end up broken because they include terms like pandemlc, vlrus, or COVlD-19. Put them through a URL shortener or find a different link!
I respect Sharpie's decision, but I'm not going to use URL shorteners. You have no idea what you're clicking or what web sites you're visiting. Spammers, phishers, etc. use them. I prefer when people post the original link, even if it's blocked, and I can find the related article by googling it.

I may not be anti-mask, but I'm anti-TinyURL and similar services.

This is what I'm finding as we gradually move forward with this, that everyone has a different definition of what is safe and what risks they are willing to take.

I mean obviously not the stupid stuff (a friend told us his brother has taken his family to Florida for a vacation - Florida!!)
Geographically, Florida is the size of Italy. It has 22 million people living in the state. It has had 500,000 cases - so 2.3% of the population has had *********-19. Sadly, 0.035% of the population has died.

Florida cases are also in rapid decline - down more than 50% in the past week, without any of the radical measures that are supposedly necessary. I wonder if Florida, like Sweden, has achieved a form of herd immunity, which - with an exponential curve - can happen at far lower rates than many people believe. The positive test rate is also plummeting, again declining by approximately 50% in a short time period.

Plenty of places in Florida are low risk. Even in the higher risk places, e.g., Miami-Dade, taking a primarily outdoors vacation in Florida may well have been safer than a primarily-indoor vacation somewhere else, especially one with a lot of driving / risk for car accidents. Or protests.

So maybe going to Florida is one of those decisions that deserves respect / polite disagreement. ;)

Gov. De Santis remains, in my view, the most effective governor in balancing risk v. reward. We cannot lock people in care homes forever, unable to ever see anyone, to the point that their spouses are taking jobs as dishwashers in the home in order to see their loved ones.

On a different note, I am sorry your friends were less than honest with you. I'm sick of all of the shaming, but also think that those of us who have been more "adventurous" have an obligation to be fully honest.

Jenny

From the Bloc
So maybe going to Florida is one of those decisions that deserves respect / polite disagreement. ;)
The people in question are Trumpers, anti-vaxxers, and brought their child with severe medical issues with them on the trip.

On a different note, I am sorry your friends were less than honest with you. I'm sick of all of the shaming, but also think that those of us who have been more "adventurous" have an obligation to be fully honest.
It's not even that they were dishonest, more that they thought they were telling us everything without realizing that certain things that were insignificant to them are very significant to us. In their minds, they're being careful. In our minds, they aren't be careful enough. And I'm sure in others' minds, we have now not been careful enough because we invited them to stay in our home.

allezfred

#EpidemiologistsNotEconomists
Staff member
Sweden isn't testing. I imagine that also helps a lot with having a low rate of infection. :shuffle:

SHARPIE

Administrator
Staff member
Well I’m having a bit of freedom for the next week. Ive been back at work at the supermarket for a month and cases are almost at nil in my area.

I’ve reserved an outside table at a pub tomorrow evening for an hour and a half, I’m meeting a friend for lunch on Tuesday and then on Wednesday we are going in our motor home (All self contained with full facilities) camping in Glastonbury.

MacMadame

Staying at home
You have no idea what you're clicking or what web sites you're visiting.
Except you can see the Preview. So you know exactly what you are clicking on including what website it is.

Not to mention, there are no spammers, etc. signing up to post on FSU just to hijack your computer.

Yazmeen

Shake it then, shake it now, shake it forever
Gov. De Santis remains, in my view, the most effective governor in balancing risk v. reward.
I will just say that every friend I have in Florida (liberal or conservative) would not only STRONGLY disagree with you but might also suggest you need psychiatric help if you really believe this.

And BTW, regarding those dropping case numbers: "Since test results take at least several days to process, it’s still unclear if the past few days of lower totals were affected by the state-run testing site closures caused by Tropical Storm Isaias." Right now while the trend is favorable, the jury is out on whether or not the closing of testing sites had an impact.

Last edited:

sk8pics

It's not even that they were dishonest, more that they thought they were telling us everything without realizing that certain things that were insignificant to them are very significant to us. In their minds, they're being careful. In our minds, they aren't be careful enough. And I'm sure in others' minds, we have now not been careful enough because we invited them to stay in our home.
This is what worries me the most, too, that people are just not taking similar precautions. I know a couple of my friends have been a bit lax, and so I just have not seen them in person.

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
I think the toothpaste is out of the tube. We are gaining a million new cases worldwide between 3-4 days. I figure it will be close to 3 days by mid to late month and approaching 2 days in September. A combination of P fatigue and a lot people just not giving a shit will likely see this thing roaring out of control...

Yazmeen

Shake it then, shake it now, shake it forever
This is what worries me the most, too, that people are just not taking similar precautions. I know a couple of my friends have been a bit lax, and so I just have not seen them in person.
I have friends who consider the BB to mostly be an overhyped inconvenience while whining that masks are ruining their “freedom.” For me, some of these relationships are on life support if not outright dead. 😞😡🤬

SHARPIE

Administrator
Staff member
I do like our chancellor but I find myself watching his interviews (there’s one on BBC Breakfast now) and counting the number of times he says “unprecedented“ :lol:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information