Things I’m sick of tbh.....

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
It's 96.3 here. We don't have air conditioning but there is a nice breeze blowing through the house. Lady Figureskates is comfortable. With her Parkinson's, she gets chilled easily but not today. In fact she dozes on and off on the couch. We are watching the Simpson's and having a few laughs. Mr. Cane is watching too. Lady Figureskates was worried that watching this show will decrease his intelligence. I said, naw, and if it does, he can run for President and still be smarter than the current occupant....

Flamingo

Me three.

My birthday is this month and when my family asked me what I want for my birthday I replied “To go to a hotel by myself.” :rofl:

Never going to happen.:(

I hope you have a happy birthday and are given at least a few hours of peace and quiet to do with as you choose! 🎉

quartz

scratching at the light
Yup. Someone just posed the question on Twitter: "What is your definition of self-care in 5 words or less?"

I would say: "An entire day alone." :lol:
Time alone is an absolute necessity for me - I honestly enjoy my own company. Not having to compromise about anything with anyone is a huge stress reliever. The husband is no longer working from home - its a huge relief to not have to tiptoe about the house all day.

Lizziebeth

I love being alone for part of the day. SO sleeps in so I usually have the mornings to myself.

once_upon

Vaccinated
My husband has always worked from home, or had small stretches of working in offices, so I've always had people in the house. What I'm tired of is the nothingness to do, and because there is always tomorrow of nothingness cleaning isnt happening.

CantALoop

I'm so sick of:
  • Adverts using Zoom/TikTok in an attempt to be funny/relatable (looking at you, Progressive :shuffle:)
  • Anything (especially ads, broadcasts, and email announcements) mentioning:
    • "In these unprecedented times..."
    • "In these uncertain times..."
    • "the new normal" :rolleyes:
    • "we're all in this together" <-- I wish, but obviously not since some people would rather believe crazy conspiracy theories and autocrats rather than wear a damn mask

PRlady

I'm so sick of:
  • Adverts using Zoom/TikTok in an attempt to be funny/relatable (looking at you, Progressive :shuffle:)
    • "we're all in this together" <-- I wish, but obviously not since some people would rather believe crazy conspiracy theories and autocrats rather than wear a damn mask

I could print out and frame your post. Fortunately, mostly what we watch on live TV is PBS NewsHour without ads, but when CNN is on I want to barf.

I am completely and totally sick of not being able to do any long-term planning. Travel to Israel to see our family? Who knows. Going back to the office? Who knows. Seeing my parents in their assisted-living facility? Who knows. Retiring from our jobs? Who the HELL knows, here we are making and saving money in a ********* so we have no cause to complain, but if the stock market tanks we are going to be working longer than planned even with a vaccine. One of our daughters is still trying to get pregnant, the other stopped trying in March, god knows how they will end up planning this out.

I'm pretty resilient and grab opportunities and deal with challenges not badly, but looking into the future is like a black hole.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I'm so sick of:
I was going to make a drinking game about those commercials but I figured we'd all be drunk all the time.

CantALoop

I was going to make a drinking game about those commercials but I figured we'd all be drunk all the time.
My friend in the UK said there was one that didn't use any of those lines, and it went something like this:

"It started with a pair of badly animated clapping hands and the line 'Key workers, you’re doing a great job' then went on to list some limited time deals on leather sofas."

once_upon

Vaccinated
"We're here for you when you are ready"

With Bahamas being the latest country to restrict travel from the US, I'd say the cruise industry is dead in the water for 2020/first part of 2021.

acraven

Turkey and Albania are apparently open to Americans. I can only assume they're desperate.

Edited to add: Also Serbia, Kosovo and North Macedonia. That's all we have in Europe. There are scattered other possibilities around the world. My source is CNN.com: https://tinyurl.com/ybxvtfj7

(I'm going nowhere.)

Last edited:

Prancer

Professional Spuddler
Staff member
Yup. Someone just posed the question on Twitter: "What is your definition of self-care in 5 words or less?"

I would say: "An entire day alone." :lol:

This was me when the kids were young.

Ah, heck, this is still me.

I have to say, though, that there have been times in the past few years when I have had an entire day alone, sometimes more, as my husband will be on a business trip and the kids were/are gone, and it is really strange. I enjoy it for a while, but there are times when I expect other people to be here and it doesn't feel right at all. I have never lived alone, so that might be part of the problem. I have to have my few hours alone, but after that.....

MacMadame

Doing all the things
My latest pet peeve is commercials that say "we're here for you and the way we are going to help you is to have you buy our stuff". Not C19-related stuff. But, say, a car. and not even "you may need a car so here's how we're going to help" but that somehow buying their car will help you get through a pandem*c.

I'm looking at you, Ford!

hanca

Values her privacy

With Bahamas being the latest country to restrict travel from the US, I'd say the cruise industry is dead in the water for 2020/first part of 2021.
My coach used to say ‘when you are ready’. When someone here tells you to do something when you are ready, it is English way (polite way) to say they want you to do it now. Unfortunately, as a ‘rude foreigner’ I sometimes didn’t get the hint, so my coach was waiting, I was waiting and when she finally asked me what are we waiting for, I told her that I am getting ready. Then she started saying ‘when you are ready’ and then added whispered ‘now!’.

once_upon

Vaccinated
Yes that's the feeling I get from the Enterprise car rental ad. When you are ready are ready we'll be here.

Louis

Private citizen
Who the HELL knows, here we are making and saving money in a ********* so we have no cause to complain, but if the stock market tanks we are going to be working longer than planned even with a vaccine.

The market has really bounced back from lows. If you have any doubts about strategy or think you’d be less able to weather declines like we saw earlier this year, now is a great time to adjust your portfolio. Everyone has a second chance this time around.

Turkey and Albania are apparently open to Americans. I can only assume they're desperate.

Edited to add: Also Serbia, Kosovo and North Macedonia. That's all we have in Europe.

Croatia, too - though they now require a negative test within the past 48 hours after various blogs began reporting Americans successfully entering.
https://hr.usembassy.gov/*********-19-information-2/

Plus U.K. and Ireland if you quarantine.

North Macedonia is beautiful. Kosovo is quite cool. On Bill Clinton Boulevard, there’s a discount clothing store named.... Hillary😂. American flags and statues everywhere.

I also enjoyed Albania, and hope to explore more of Turkey (though not this year).

SHARPIE

Administrator
Staff member
My friend in the UK said there was one that didn't use any of those lines, and it went something like this:

"It started with a pair of badly animated clapping hands and the line 'Key workers, you’re doing a great job' then went on to list some limited time deals on leather sofas."

:lol: yes! I laughed my head off when I first saw that one!

MsZem

I'm kind of tired of having CV-related news be the first thing I see when I'm on FSU - any chance of maybe moving it further down, or at least having the option of hiding this section?

I'm also tired of our useless government fighting among themselves and not doing what they're supposed to because a political rival might get credit for it. But there's nothing that the admins can do about that ;)

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Time alone is an absolute necessity for me - I honestly enjoy my own company. Not having to compromise about anything with anyone is a huge stress reliever. The husband is no longer working from home - its a huge relief to not have to tiptoe about the house all day.
I would be much happier with the working from home thing if my husband wasn't WFH as well. I need some time to myself, even if it's just in the car driving to and from work. With both of us at home I also have to co-ordinate two additional meals, often make them as well, tackle competing conference calls, and also have silence whereas I am used to working with a TV on at my desk.
I don't have kids, but that article still spoke to me, particularly the bit about going to bed later than my husband. That's the time I get to just sit and watch what I want, or get something done without questions.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
Croatia, too - though they now require a negative test within the past 48 hours after various blogs began reporting Americans successfully entering.
https://hr.usembassy.gov/*********-19-information-2/
Knew that would happen in a hot minute. A travel blogger I used to enjoy has been posting about her current travels around the Balkans, and I'm like, girl, NO. :blah: I would have less of a problem if she had just gone to one place, but she's been to 3 countries in I think the last month. The Balkans do not want US BB!

North Macedonia is beautiful. Kosovo is quite cool. On Bill Clinton Boulevard, there’s a discount clothing store named.... Hillary😂. American flags and statues everywhere.
I thought Pristina was just ok, but didn't get a chance to get out of the city during my few days in Kosovo.

If you want statues everywhere (not American ones), go to Skopje in Macedonia :lol:

Albania is quirky and has some really beautiful parts.

I guess I'm sick of not getting to plan and talk about travel :(

once_upon

Vaccinated
You can still plan! You just can't execute.
You can dream, but you cant really plan until you know if this will end with an effective vaccine.

We know that there is a tentative date of February 2022 that is listed for an Australia/New Zealand cruise. But we also know that it is more likely the travel ban will still be in place. Heck we dont even know if states will allow travel within the US without 2 week quarantine, which makes it cost prohibitive.

million$momma

I would be much happier with the working from home thing if my husband wasn't WFH as well. I need some time to myself, even if it's just in the car driving to and from work. With both of us at home I also have to co-ordinate two additional meals, often make them as well, tackle competing conference calls, and also have silence whereas I am used to working with a TV on at my desk.
I don't have kids, but that article still spoke to me, particularly the bit about going to bed later than my husband. That's the time I get to just sit and watch what I want, or get something done without questions.
It sound like you need different work spaces. Also, no way I would be making him lunch...

Yazmeen

Shake it then, shake it now, shake it forever

So far this year, I've lost a girl's trip to Aruba (now will be April 2021), a trip with DH to the Cayman Islands (now set for July 2021) and our September trip to Fiji is on life support and I fully expect it won't happen (the islands are closed until just a few days before we're set to leave). We're fine with this - I mostly feel sorry for friends set to travel with us who could have used the money they put out that will be held till next year. And regarding island openings, here is Cayman's tentative plan. DH still gets emails from this resort system even though we haven't stayed in their dive resorts as a couple for 18 years - our Grand Cayman home is Sunset House. Imagine being a tourist wanting to go back in September...not that I blame them a bit. And these dates are not guaranteed, especially since the bulk of their tourism is from the US and things just keep getting worse here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information