Things I’m sick of tbh.....

attyfan

Not sure if this belongs here, but I am really getting sick of the guy down the hall constantly making cracks about my not caring because I don't wear a mask inside the building. I'm a research attorney, so I don't see people very often ... and when I do, there is either social distancing or I am briefly passing someone in the hallway. I am very careful to wear my mask when I am going to an area where distancing might be difficult (as in a store) or when there is a crowd (even when outside).

allezfred

#EpidemiologistsNotEconomists
Staff member
I was talking with Mr allezfred last night about how Westerners were mocking and in some cases verbally and/or physically attacking Asians earlier this year for wearing masks and this now seems to have been forgotten.

Japanfan

I was talking with Mr allezfred last night about how Westerners were mocking and in some cases verbally and/or physically attacking Asians earlier this year for wearing masks and this now seems to have been forgotten.
Not here on the Pacific West Coast. My city's Chinese Cultural Center has repeatedly been defaced, the last time just a few days ago. That's on top of frequent assaults against Chinese individuals for no reason other than their being Chinese.

once_upon

New condo owner
Not here on the Pacific West Coast. My city's Chinese Cultural Center has repeatedly been defaced, the last time just a few days ago. That's on top of frequent assaults against Chinese individuals for no reason other than their being Chinese.
I'm sure that @allezfred is not referring to racism, but actual wearing of masks. I admit I probably made the comments about how everyone 4 Continents and I am one of the biggest wear your masks advocates.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I am tired of taking Tylenol for my (not-infrequent) headaches. I want my Aleve! :wuzrobbed

hanca

Values her privacy
I am sick of someone coming to live in this country, and then keep constantly moaning about how he doesn’t like this and that and how his personal freedoms are limited here. If someone doesn’t like it so much, he can f**k off and move to yet another country, rather than trying to get citizenship from this country. It seems to me that when someone is concentrating on getting as many citizenships as possible, he may end up not being happy anywhere. There is no perfect place; every country has something better and something worse. One will have to learn to live with it. Or spend their life moving and searching.

ok, I said it, and now I feel much better!

Last edited:

MacMadame

Staying at home
I am sick of people who aren't techno-challenged continuing to post links with **** in them and not bothering to use tiny.url. so that it takes many tries to find their article if you even can. I give people who struggle a break but at least some of them have figured it out so I think the computer savvy people not doing it are just being an ass.

Lemonade20

This may be controversial, but I’m sick of people getting attacked for not participating in BLM protests. There are amazing community supporters who do so much and a friend was called out for no good reason.

Louis

Private citizen
I am sick of someone coming to live in this country, and then keep constantly moaning about how he doesn’t like this and that and how his personal freedoms are limited here.
Ah, the old immigrants have no right to complain about anything mantra.... (As if no British people are complaining about things and everyone is perfectly obeying the rules :shuffle:). Fortunately for me, and unfortunately for you, I have unrestricted right to live, work, and complain in the UK thanks to the legal obligations of your (adopted) country. You can at least sleep easy that all of your own moaning and complaining has cut off the freedom of movement right that I -- and you -- took advantage of, so that no other EU immigrant can ever come here and complain again. :lol: :rolleyes: At least not without much more paperwork and threats of being "put in our place."

I am sick of people who aren't techno-challenged continuing to post links with **** in them and not bothering to use tiny.url. so that it takes many tries to find their article if you even can. I give people who struggle a break but at least some of them have figured it out so I think the computer savvy people not doing it are just being an ass.
TinyURL and other services are used by scammers. I want to know what I'm clicking and where I'm going. I'm also not crazy about censorship, and I'm not going to use URL shortening services because of censorship - even it's for a "good reason." I can agree to disagree - I accept the rules, but I won't use link redirection services on principle.

SHARPIE

Administrator
Staff member
To be honest what I'm sick of right this second is the @&$%#+&$! ads on the site when I'm on my iPad. I know they're needed to fund the site, but: banners, popup banners and popup videos every time I load a new page, an ad disguised as a subforum on the front page, ads that load into the %#^#+&$? comment box? Plus this screen has jumped and taken the box out of view because of ads loading six time while I've been writing this comment alone. I can't find an adblocker that works with my iPad and it is driving me nuts.

Sorry for the rant.

Hiya, only just saw this rant. I agree with you, I use the site on an iPad as well and I get the ads too. In fact, I’m trying to find a solution to make things better right now.

hanca

Values her privacy
Ah, the old immigrants have no right to complain about anything mantra.... (As if no British people are complaining about things and everyone is perfectly obeying the rules :shuffle:). Fortunately for me, and unfortunately for you, I have unrestricted right to live, work, and complain in the UK thanks to the legal obligations of your (adopted) country. You can at least sleep easy that all of your own moaning and complaining has cut off the freedom of movement right that I -- and you -- took advantage of, so that no other EU immigrant can ever come here and complain again. :lol: :rolleyes: At least not without much more paperwork and threats of being "put in our place."
I am not saying that immigrants have no right to complain about anything. I would not dream about infringing on your right to complain! But this thread is about what we are sick of, and I am sick of you constantly complaining. That’s again my right, to be sick of someone complaining. Or is it that because you are an immigrant, to be politically correct I must never express that I am sick of you?

By the way, British people are the biggest complainers I have ever seen. There is usually a long stream of complaining, concluded with a sentence ‘but I mustn’t grumble’. But that doesn’t change anything on the fact that I am currently sick of you complaining about this country. So I used this thread to vent, and it really helps. I did feel better about it.

sk8pics

Hiya, only just saw this rant. I agree with you, I use the site on an iPad as well and I get the ads too. In fact, I’m trying to find a solution to make things better right now.
That's strange. I frequently am on my iPad and don't notice any ads. I wonder why.

kwanfan1818

I <3 Kozuka
I am not saying that immigrants have no right to complain about anything.
Except what you followed with was:

If someone doesn’t like it so much, he can f**k off and move to yet another country, rather than trying to get citizenship from this country.
Which is quite different than simply "I'm sick of someone complaining about this country" and is very reminiscent of "America, love it or leave it," which is exactly meant to suppress complaining, of which dissent is a subset, often the full subset.

You* don't have to like what immigrants/other immigrants have to bring to your country, and you can vent all you want about this, but, no, they don't have to count their blessings and STFU and have no complaints or criticisms, however :rolleyes: or ungrateful or opportunistic or selfish or anything negative you (or I or anyone else here) might find any or all of them.

*In the plural, "one" usage.

SHARPIE

Administrator
Staff member
That's strange. I frequently am on my iPad and don't notice any ads. I wonder why.
You pay for access which removes ads. I may own the site but I like to keep an eye on what’s being advertised here.

@Orm Irian , hopefully you’ll see some improvement now.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Which is quite different than simply "I'm sick of someone complaining about this country" and is very reminiscent of "America, love it or leave it," which is exactly meant to suppress complaining, of which dissent is a subset, often the full subset.
I interpreted those comments as "Louis is driving me crazy" and not anything more general.

hanca

Values her privacy
Except what you followed with was:

You* don't have to like what immigrants/other immigrants have to bring to your country, and you can vent all you want about this, but, no, they don't have to count their blessings and STFU and have no complaints or criticisms, however :rolleyes: or ungrateful or opportunistic or selfish or anything negative you (or I or anyone else here) might find any or all of them.

*In the plural, "one" usage.
Just to clarify, I have no issues whatsoever with immigrants being here. I do have issue with people constantly moaning about being here. And that doesn’t matter whether they are immigrants or born in this country. If someone doesn’t want to be here, pack your luggage and move for Christ’s sake, and don’t make everyone around you suffer only because you are not happy.

I am not sure why you and Louis are immediately making a political issue from it, suggesting that I am against immigration. This isn’t about what immigrants bring or don’t bring to this country; this is me believing that one should not expect 60 plus million people changing things the one someone who moved here would like to have them. If this country is not the right fit for a person, the person has plenty of means try other countries. Reading someone moaning about it for the past three months, well, sorry but my patience has run out.

I don’t think one needs to be grateful for being able to be here, but constantly bitching about it is not the right way either. Imagine you inviting someone stay in your house and the person would be constantly moaning about everything - what time you prepare breakfast, what are your household rules etc. That doesn’t mean that one shouldn’t raise criticism, after all, I also mentioned that I don’t think our government has handled the ********* very well, but I don’t keep constantly going on how awful everything here is.

Louis

Private citizen
I interpreted those comments as "Louis is driving me crazy" and not anything more general.
Then why was the whole post about my non-native origin status? It's discrimination. And your post is a good example of people ignoring or excusing discrimination when it suits them, or when it's against someone they don't like.

Just to clarify, I have no issues whatsoever with immigrants being here. I do have issue with people constantly moaning about being here.
I guess all of those Brexit supporters should have just shut up and accepted the EU situation instead of constantly moaning about it for decades. :lol:

I guess Americans should just accept Trump, Black people getting shot by police, etc., etc. I mean, I've been hearing moans about Trump for four years; moans about the police killing Black people all my life. Enough already.

Imagine you inviting someone stay in your house
Except no one "invited" me to live here. I am exercising a right enshrined in legal treaty that the United Kingdom voluntarily adopted. Provided I do not commit a serious criminal offense, I have as much right to live in this country as anyone born here or as you. You may not like it, but I do.

(And, to be honest, I complain about the UK much less than I do about either of my two native countries. I do like it here - there's a reason I live here when I could live just about anywhere in the world with my job - but I won't be quiet when I object to something.)

hanca

Values her privacy
Then why was the whole post about my non-native origin status? It's discrimination. And your post is a good example of people ignoring or excusing discrimination when it suits them, or when it's against someone they don't like.
I guess all of those Brexit supporters should have just shut up and accepted the EU situation instead of constantly moaning about it for decades. :lol:

I guess Americans should just accept Trump, Black people getting shot by police, etc., etc. I mean, I've been hearing moans about Trump for four years; moans about the police killing Black people all my life. Enough already.
Except no one "invited" me to live here. I am exercising a right enshrined in legal treaty that the United Kingdom voluntarily adopted. Provided I do not commit a serious criminal offense, I have as much right to live in this country as anyone born here or as you. You may not like it, but I do.

(And, to be honest, I complain about the UK much less than I do about either of my two native countries.)
Well, firstly, the post was about your moaning, not about your origin. Your status of origin was raised from the point of view that I struggle to understand why bother getting citizenship if you hate it here so much. That’s pretty fair question. Also, when I said that when someone is trying to get papers of many countries, you may end up not being happy anywhere. There is nothing racist or discriminatory on that. The problem isn’t in those counties, the problem is in you expecting the counties to tick all your expectations.

Secondly, I can’t say I was a Brexit supporter. I had a hard personal situation, losing something if Brexit happens and losing something else if it does not happen. Both of those options were quite upsetting for me, so I eventually got to conclusion that what will be will be and stopped worrying about it. This was easier than constantly thinking which of my personal loses are preferable and how it will impact on my life. Regarding my personal opinion about Brexit - personally I don’t think it should be about immigration (and I noticed that people who were against Brexit hijacked this issue, branding everyone pro-Brexit a racist because they ‘must be’ against immigration. But that’s not the case.) Nevertheless, I do think it is a good idea when decisions about finances of one country are decided within the country, as opposed by someone who doesn’t live or ever lived in that country. Saying that, this clearly has nothing to do with my original post about you getting on my nerves with your constant moaning.

Thirdly, ‘no one invited you here’? I think you are mistaken. A country makes rules and by having those rules, they invite people who fulfil the conditions of coming. You don’t have God’s given right being here, you have right because that’s what the country decided to do by making such law. So actually, you were invited, even if you didn’t get personal letter from the head of the state.

kwanfan1818

I <3 Kozuka
I am not sure why you and Louis are immediately making a political issue from it, suggesting that I am against immigration.
I am because you said, "If someone doesn’t like it so much, he can f**k off and move to yet another country, rather than trying to get citizenship from this country."' And that is a political statement.

Which, IMO, is very different than simply "I'm sick of the moaning" or even "I'm sick of the ingratitude/Louis/fill in the blank." No one can argue what you're sick of, which, I believe, is the point of the thread.

hanca

Values her privacy
I am because you said, "If someone doesn’t like it so much, he can f**k off and move to yet another country, rather than trying to get citizenship from this country."' And that is a political statement.

Which, IMO, is very different than simply "I'm sick of the moaning" or even "I'm sick of the ingratitude/Louis/fill in the blank." No one can argue what you're sick of, which, I believe, is the point of the thread.
I didn’t say to ‘f**k off where you came from’. I am not against immigration and I believe people should be able to change their circumstances, if they can. I suggested him to move to another country which will be better match to him. Louis is able to move to other countries, so why living somewhere where he is not happy and constantly moaning about how bad it is there? Still, I am questioning why if it is so bad here, why would he want to get citizenship.

And I don’t care about his gratitude or lack of his gratitude, I don’t care what he gives to this country, but I do care about constantly moaning about this country, when it was his decision to move here. There may come time when he would be better off if he admitted himself that perhaps his decision wasn’t the best one, and make another decision...

SHARPIE

Administrator
Staff member
By the way, British people are the biggest complainers I have ever seen. There is usually a long stream of complaining, concluded with a sentence ‘but I mustn’t grumble’. But that doesn’t change anything on the fact that I am currently sick of you complaining about this country. So I used this thread to vent, and it really helps. I did feel better about it.

That is so f*cking offensive to me as a laid back, non complaining Brit, F’cking disgusting in fact.

hanca

Values her privacy
That is so f*cking offensive to me as a laid back, non complaining Brit, F’cking disgusting in fact.
I am sorry, no offence intended. Nevertheless, there seem to be some unwritten rule here, especially among the older generation, that people shouldn’t be complaining/moaning/grumbling. As a result, they still are complaining to each other (and quite a lot), but then sort of feel guilty about it and so they conclude it with ‘I mustn’t grumble’. The sentence ‘I mustn’t grumble’ was quite unknown to me and initially I struggled to understand the meaning of it, because mentality in my previous country was different (why wouldn’t you grumble if you feel like it). For someone who lived a half of my life in each of those different mentalities, it seems to me that the fact that someone feels they shouldn’t do something (grumble) actually makes them do it much more. If I received a pound every time someone complains about life and then says I mustn’t grumble, I would be a millionaire. Although to be fair, I don’t know if people in my first country do it as often, but because there isn’t the feeling that they shouldn’t, one doesn’t really register it as much.

MacMadame

Staying at home
The sentence ‘I mustn’t grumble’ was quite unknown to me and initially I struggled to understand the meaning of it,
I think you are misunderstanding this term. I knew a lot of people like this growing up. they aren't saying that it's wrong to grumble. They are being superstitious and worrying that complaining will bring down something even worse on them.

It's a little superstitious thing... Like if they say "I mustn't grumble" at the end, then they'll ward off more bad luck.

In the US they do it a bit differently. They follow with "But I can't complain." As in "but it could be worse."

hanca

Values her privacy
I think you are misunderstanding this term. I knew a lot of people like this growing up. they aren't saying that it's wrong to grumble. They are being superstitious and worrying that complaining will bring down something even worse on them.

It's a little superstitious thing... Like if they say "I mustn't grumble" at the end, then they'll ward off more bad luck.

In the US they do it a bit differently. They follow with "But I can't complain." As in "but it could be worse."
Ok, maybe you are right. Then I am taking it back, British people are not the biggest complainers, but the are the most superstitious people I have ever met.

Yes, the term I can’t complain is sometimes used where I came from. But the meaning is that I can’t complain because it is not bad (things are fine). Whereas here I mustn’t grumble usually comes before or after quite a fair bit of grumbling, which actually suggest that things are not fine at all and I mustn’t grumble is added even though there are so many reasons to grumble. That’s why it makes me feel that people here actually enjoy grumbling, but at the same time feel guilty about it.

SHARPIE

Administrator
Staff member
I am sorry, no offence intended. Nevertheless, there seem to be some unwritten rule here, especially among the older generation, that people shouldn’t be complaining/moaning/grumbling. As a result, they still are complaining to each other (and quite a lot), but then sort of feel guilty about it and so they conclude it with ‘I mustn’t grumble’. The sentence ‘I mustn’t grumble’ was quite unknown to me and initially I struggled to understand the meaning of it, because mentality in my previous country was different (why wouldn’t you grumble if you feel like it). For someone who lived a half of my life in each of those different mentalities, it seems to me that the fact that someone feels they shouldn’t do something (grumble) actually makes them do it much more. If I received a pound every time someone complains about life and then says I mustn’t grumble, I would be a millionaire. Although to be fair, I don’t know if people in my first country do it as often, but because there isn’t the feeling that they shouldn’t, one doesn’t really register it as much.
Oh I’m sure everyone in your home country is just fine and dandy all the time and never complains about a thing! :rofl:

hanca

Values her privacy
Oh I’m sure everyone in your home country is just fine and dandy all the time and never complains about a thing! :rofl:
That’s not what I am saying. They do complain, they just don’t attach before or after that they shouldn’t complain. Actually, people in my previous country have much worse flaws than a bit of grumbling or complaining. If I stand on a bus stop here and some older lady wants to start a conversation, it is usually about the weather. If you stand on a bus stop in my original country and just listen to conversation, you may hear people discussing their neighbours’ financial situation and guessing where they got the money to buy their new car! Envy and gossips! Seriously, I am not joking. I never noticed of that while I lived there, I guess one learns to switch off and not listen, but coming back after a longer period of time, one start noticing things that they didn’t notice before. When I came here, I was thinking ‘wow, what a weird country! They talk about the weather in such a detail!’. After living here for a few years and visiting my parents back there, I waited at a bus stop and pretty soon I was thinking ‘can’t you just talk about the weather? Who wants to hear about your next door’s new car!’

Last edited:

SHARPIE

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry if this pisses anyone off and I was guilty of using this phrase myself a few months ago.

But anyone who now uses the “socially distanced” phrase to me from now on can just go and fecking socially distance themselves from me! Sick of reading on various social media about how your cup of tea with your mum or your glass of wine with a friend was “socially distanced”.

Go away :lol:

Spikefan

I’m tired of family wanting to visit, have us visit them or plan trips together. We live 8 hours from in-laws so no way to do a physically distant day visit. Yet they keep wanting to know when they can come or when we can come. They are back to going to church, socializing in groups without masks, dining out and are taking a trip next month to Branson. At this point I’m more concerned about them infecting us when originally I was concerned about infecting them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 6)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information