The "who is going" thread

Thread starter #1
Ratings
So who is attending nationals? I'll be there from Wednesday-Sunday (Jan. 10th-14th). Especially looking forward to seeing who gets the second spot for the men, and the second and third spots in pairs.

:40beers:

manhn

Ratings
Me! I am only taking the Friday off though. Haven't looked at the junior schedule too closely, but will try to make my way out at night during the week as well.

cygnus

Ratings
I'll be there, but will be hanging out with my family who are coming along with me- not sure how much FSU time I will have, at least once the senior events start. I will be there earlier in the week though and can hang out then.

kalamalka

Ratings
Rosaleen and I will be there all week (actually starting with the junior men/pairs practices on Sunday afternoon) - in wheelchair seating, so come say hi.
We expect to be at all the men/pairs events, junior and senior dance, and later or just last groups of junior and senior ladies (based on a combination of event preferences and the scheduling).
And of course we're looking forward to the FSU gathering(s). It's been a long drought for skating competitions in Vancouver since the Olympics.

kalamalka

Ratings
Me! I am only taking the Friday off though.
Haven't looked at the junior schedule too closely, but will try to make my way out at night during the week as well.
Evening events per the current (Dec 6) schedule:
Monday - Junior SD, 6:18-8:21; Junior Men Short, 8:36-11:00
Tuesday - Novice PS 6:56-8:35; Jr PS, 8:55-10:43
Wed - Jr M Free, 6:53-9:44
Thurs - Jr L Free, 6:15-8:57 (the only competition that day)

Hope you are able to make at least a couple of these.
Interesting that every night from Mon-Sat the competition ends earlier than the previous day.

overedge

crying in a bathroom in Milano
Ratings
Will try to be there for at least some of it, but the location being literally at the other end of the Lower Mainland from where I work is going to be a challenge :(

JasperBoy

Aging in a great place
Ratings
I have my tickets now. They came with tickets to the novice and junior events, which I will not be able to attend.
I would like to donate these to a local skater or fan. PM me if you want them (Jan 8,9,10) or know of someone who could use them. I will mail them ASAP.

WanderlustTO

Ratings
i'm going. i'll be out there from 1/7 - 1/14 (we figured if we were going all the way to BC - from TO - we'd make a week of it). Skating-wise - we'll just be there for the Friday/Saturday...flying out early-ish Sunday, not staying for the gala.

We're staying at the Sheraton.

Still trying to figure out our itinerary for earlier in the week - we'll go up to whistler for at least a day (but not ski). We've been debating a day trip to either Seattle or Victoria - but both seem like a bit of a jog...and re Seattle, i'm not in love with the idea of a 3+ hr trip each way (maybe more with the border) as a day trip.

In any event...lot's to see and do in Van. Looking forward to it! Also really excited about the skating itself, with it being an Olympic year and all.

victorskid

Skating supporter
Ratings
I will arrive on the 8th and leave on the 15th. I have a couple of requests to get together from friends/relatives in the area - I may try to do one or two of those on Thursday, rather than attending practice. It is sometimes difficult to explain that I'm in town for the skating :D

Habs

Ratings
I will arrive on the 8th and leave on the 15th. I have a couple of requests to get together from friends/relatives in the area - I may try to do one or two of those on Thursday, rather than attending practice. It is sometimes difficult to explain that I'm in town for the skating :D
That's why my mom and I don't say anything to those people when we travel for skating. ;)

victorskid

Skating supporter
Ratings
That's why my mom and I don't say anything to those people when we travel for skating. ;)
Unfortunately, I mentioned my plans to be at Canadians in my annual "update" in my Christmas cards, forgetting that a couple of the recipients were in the Vancouver area. Fortunately, one couple has now acquired tickets for the senior free skates so we'll be able to have a "flying visit" at the arena on Saturday.

dramagrrl

Ratings
I’ll be there for the senior events on Friday/Saturday! Also trying to give away my novice/junior tix so they don’t go to waste - please PM me if anyone reading this wants them or knows of someone who does.

puglover

Ratings
Wow - getting closer, getting excited!! I am staying with a friend in Port Coquitlam so probably quite a distance from the venue. She seems excited to see the skating live but I certainly don't want her to think she is just a convenient location for me to nest while I follow my passion for skating. I am hoping she is impressed enough - or - there is a bus route or train I can take myself if she wants to do other things.

alilou

Crazy Stalker Lady
Ratings
Wow - getting closer, getting excited!! I am staying with a friend in Port Coquitlam so probably quite a distance from the venue. She seems excited to see the skating live but I certainly don't want her to think she is just a convenient location for me to nest while I follow my passion for skating. I am hoping she is impressed enough - or - there is a bus route or train I can take myself if she wants to do other things.
Public transit from PoCo to the stadium will take 2 hours - a bus then the skytrain then another bus. Doable but very time consuming. Make sure you have a bunch of good books to read to fill the time. Here's a link to the translink site where you can plot your route:
https://tripplanning.translink.ca

puglover

Ratings
Thanks for the info alilou. Friday my friend has medical tests which I assume are closer to home so that is the day I may try to go it alone. I know I will just have to be thankful for what I can get to. My husband has gotten better over the years, but in general, skating is one thing I don't mind attending on my own as nobody in my family or friends wants to sit for the hours I do. Even my children who did skate roll their eyes when the topic comes up! However, my eldest daughter bought me skate earrings for Christmas to wear to Vancouver. I have never attended a competition in the west. Do people dress up so Canadian? Sad that David Ash and his crew will not be there to pass out flags, etc.

alilou

Crazy Stalker Lady
Ratings
Thanks for the info alilou. Friday my friend has medical tests which I assume are closer to home so that is the day I may try to go it alone. I know I will just have to be thankful for what I can get to. My husband has gotten better over the years, but in general, skating is one thing I don't mind attending on my own as nobody in my family or friends wants to sit for the hours I do. Even my children who did skate roll their eyes when the topic comes up! However, my eldest daughter bought me skate earrings for Christmas to wear to Vancouver. I have never attended a competition in the west. Do people dress up so Canadian? Sad that David Ash and his crew will not be there to pass out flags, etc.
I've never dressed any special way except warm, and most of the FSUers I know do the same.

Steph Smith

Ratings
I'll be there, along with my friend John who came to Worlds in DC with me, for anyone who goes back here that far. I've booked the week off work.

kates8

Ratings
I've posted this in the buy and sell forum as well, but I'm contemplating a last minute trip to see Canadians and wondered if anyone has a one Ladies/Dance ticket to sell for both short and free programs. PM me if anything available. Thanks

PeterG

Ratings
I'll be there most of the week, planning on taking Thursday off (just the Jr. ladies competing that day). My seat info:

Section 110, Row 9, seat 18.

I believe that's an aisle seat so I can come and go a lot and not have to crawl over people. :cheer: But I only plan to sit there when I have to. As long as the rink is fairly empty, I'll be hanging out with whoever I spot and sit wherever. Hopefully not too close to the ice. I think I got sunburnt at Skate Canada years ago sitting too close to the rink with lights reflecting off the white ice surface. I think I'll be wearing sunscreen (or at least bringing some with me).

I'm hoping there will be time to walk around UBC in between competitions. I'll want some stretching and fresh air time. Hopefully some of you will want to walk around the campus with me and gab about the skating. :D

oops.....wrong country!
Nope. This is the right one. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)