"The Runthrough" podcast with Adam & Ashley

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Worlds recap is up:

ETA a video clip ("Skipping practice- is it Fierce or Flutz?"): https://www.instagram.com/p/CqVjQ39j2Uk/

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

Interesting comments on the physical atmosphere in the arena because the arena was so packed as well as a need to blow dry every male skater whenever they got off the ice due to excessive sweating. Interesting that they did not comment about Malinin, but I still have 50 minutes to go.

Allskate

Interesting that they did not comment about Malinin, but I still have 50 minutes to go.

I don't remember his name being mentioned. I don't think this was a diss to Ilia. In fact, the names of most of the American skaters (and most of the other skaters) were not mentioned. They didn't even really discuss Shoma's performances; they basically just said that the last group of men in the long program were great.

I was looking forward to their Worlds recap, but I honestly found it disappointing. It wasn't much of a "recap" or "runthrough." I would have liked for them to discuss the performances of skaters at Worlds more. If they're going to say that there were "iconic moments" at Worlds, then they probably should tell us what they were. :lol:

I get that Adam wanted to rant about double jumps in pairs, but that's not something particular to Worlds. None of the actual pairs performances were discussed and none of the pairs medalists were even mentioned by name.

And if they were going to talk about how difficult it is to make the loop the second jump in a combination and how important the landing of the first jump is in that kind of combination, then why not mention Isabeau's lutz/loop (rather than Ashley's loop combos from years ago), especially since that determined the medals and happened at Worlds? Isabeau and Amber were not mentioned at all. Most of the women were not mentioned, including Loena, who medaled. The fact that Kaori won back to back titles was mentioned but her actual performances were not discussed.

Their discussion of ice dance was basically that they were happy for Madi and Evan since they've know them forever.

They spent more time discussing the arena and discussing gloves and tights in general as well as Adam's previous ankle/foot injury than any particular performance. I probably would have enjoyed some of this if they just sprinkled a little bit of it through discussing the actual performances.

But, I do genuninely recommend the podcast for people who enjoy hearing Adam and Ashley chat and reminisce.

zebobes

I think if we want a methodical discussion of the event, then we have other podcasts that are better suited to listen to, this one is providing their unique perspectives and surprising (to me at least) passion about the subject. While they didn't cover EVERYTHING, the subjects that they did cover, they covered deeply, and with a lot of interesting perspective. I personally find such discussions much more interesting, and I did break out laughing many times (such as Ashley's segue into discussing Bradie Tennell).

I was also impressed with how much of the competition they actually did watch, as they gave positive comments on some lower ranked skaters, such as Lara Naki Gutmann.

Desperado

I was surprised at the lack of performance specific content too, but this podcast has quickly become one of my favourites due to the mix of insider info, snark, and humor.

Adam talking about cartwheels on ice was especially entertaining.:lol:

I also enjoyed Ashley’s SOI info about tights vs hoses (SOI provides the later to have the same colour for all) and boot colours (Maddy had to have 2 pairs as it was mandatory to have all white boots), etc.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I'll admit that this podcast is way more interesting that I thought it would be haha. I do think they could have done 2 episodes recapping worlds though. They have so many interesting things to say and insight to give, so it would have been fun for them to go longer.

Allskate

I think if we want a methodical discussion of the event, then we have other podcasts that are better suited to listen to
Absolutely. But, given the name of the podcast, what they said that they were going to be doing in their episodes of the podcast, and that they said that this episode would be a Worlds recap, I think it is reasonable that I was surprised by how little they discussed the Worlds skating performances in an episode that lasted over an hour.

Sylvia

TBD
Episode 3: Russia, Poppy Seeds, and Vitamins
Ashley and Adam re-live the last nine years of their lives as they discuss the recent news of a potential return to competition for Russian athletes.

Sylvia

TBD
there are three people talking. who is the second female?
Sarah ("not Olympic champion" whose role is to keep their facts straight) Hughes who currently is an Editorial Producer, Olympic & Paralympic Content for NBC Sports and a friend of theirs.

Sarah tweeted this today: "They say timing is everything so here's a podcast episode in which @AdamRippon and @AshWagner2010 (and me a little) talk about Russia on the day of Trump's arrest": https://twitter.com/sarahhughes11/status/1643329118690332674

Last edited:

B.Cooper

Actually expected more relative content to Worlds, rather than Adam and Ashley reminiscing about times gone by.
Perhaps either they rename the podcast to what the content actually is? ;-)

Sylvia

TBD

ellenpuff

Banned Member
I tried listening to this podcast, but I find Adam "too much" and the overall impression to be casual and unprofessional. Does anyone have a skating podcast they can recommend?

Sylvia

TBD
Adam's brand of humor is not for everyone, that's for sure. ;)
Does anyone have a skating podcast they can recommend?
GSD thread:

I recently posted links to various 2023 Worlds recaps, including podcasts, in this thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/post-2023-worlds-recaps-analyses.110619/

Desperado

The last ep was the weakest IMHO. Very little content and the lack of preparation showed.

I’m also surprised by how much they’ve forgotten of their competitive years (competitions/events).

Allskate

I know I was critical of this podcast early on, but I've liked the last two episodes (Athlete Safety and Tour History/Program History). Maybe that's because they aren't even pretending to run through competitions and they aren't all over the place.

ETA: Trigger warning for the Athlete Safety episode. Kudos to Ashley for continuing to speak out to try to protect skaters. It can't be easy for her and it's obviously frustrating.

Last edited:

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
The last ep was the weakest IMHO. Very little content and the lack of preparation showed.

I’m also surprised by how much they’ve forgotten of their competitive years (competitions/events).
I'm not. For us, it's the beauty of sport, an art, an escape, but for them, it's a job. I don't remember every student, or what year I taught them. I don't remember every conference, every PD, etc. I have students who come back to school and visit and say Ms Matry, remember when....and I'm like...errrr....glad that it was meaningful to you? That was...2016? No? 2018? Teachers reminiscing together are exactly like Adam and Ashley.

I did piano, singing, and tumbling competitions. My mom remembers them ALL, down to tiny details. Me, I can barely remember one Sonata or run or tumbling pass from another or exactly what competitions I did.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Does one have to register or pay-subscribe?

It doesn’t seem to be free-to-listen like TSL.

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
I have no problem listening to any podcast using Spotify.

@Frau Muller I believe there's also an Apple Podcasts app. I've heard it mentioned in podcasts I listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information