The Race for the 2020 POTUS elections

snoopy

It is a truth universally acknowledged that getting progressives, liberals and moderate Dems to agree on a policy platform is herding cats -- which is insulting to felines. Only the clout of the eventual nominee enforces what's in the platform which is then merrily ignored for the next four years.
The idea isn't to require agreement on every issue but to throw a bone to group A and a bone to group B and a bone to group C - so all 3 groups are motivated to vote because one of their key issues is being addressed. So maybe group A doesn't like low taxes for corporations but they are getting free college (or whatever issues trigger the right math to get the necessary votes). The important part is to run the math and know what issues get how many votes...and then it is consistent from candidate to candidate and you've already worked out a winning formula.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
I think there are those who think Biden is the best candidate given his experience. He's not Republican-lite, he's an Obama Democrat which is more moderate than the progressive wing. I don't have issues with that, the party has people who are moderate, liberal, and progressive and we have to find a candidate who brings its voters together.

I don't think Biden's use of the "elitist" rhetoric against progressives will help with that.
I agree that use of rhetoric does not help.

The use of rhetoric that a candidate is beholden to special interests doesn’t help either, or that their supporters are too besotted or don’t care about Eville Corporate Dollars doesn’t help either🤷‍♀️ I wish we could stop all of it.

But in much better news, (and probably more germane to the other thread) every Lehigh County commissioner elected was a Democrat.:cheer2:I can assure you they do not self identify as progressive. And Delaware County where I attended high school back in the dark ages, Democrat for the first time since the Civil War:eek: those guys ran on anti-Trump and some may be progressive.

If that coalition of voters can hold, and comes out for whoever, there aren’t enough voters in very rural PA to combat it.

Very big “ifs”.

canbelto

Ok so apropos of nothing ... my parents live in a solidly Republican suburban county. The county went for Trump in 2016. To be a Democrat and run for office was like a pipe dream. Yesterday all the town and county clerk positions were swept by Democrats. So the suburban exodus from Trump is real.

PRlady

Nerdy flack
Ok so apropos of nothing ... my parents live in a solidly Republican suburban county. The county went for Trump in 2016. To be a Democrat and run for office was like a pipe dream. Yesterday all the town and county clerk positions were swept by Democrats. So the suburban exodus from Trump is real.
Can I ask where that is?

canbelto

ETA: looked again. Some positions were won by Republicans. But my parents' town and nearby towns that haven't had a Dem mayor in forever went Democratic.

PRlady

Nerdy flack
ETA: looked again. Some positions were won by Republicans. But my parents' town and nearby towns that haven't had a Dem mayor in forever went Democratic.
Wasn’t that Nixon’s Elba when he retired after resigning? Saddle River?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Not clicking on it but the Post has an article headlined that there's new line of attack on Warren: that she's angry and antagonistic.

Yes, now little lady, all that talking, well why don't you just sit down and be nicer. :rolleyes:

Biden has deep hostility towards Warren. Biden's animosity towards Warren is personal and goes back a long time to long before she ran for office because she challenged his blue collar persona that he believes deeply in. Her challenges to him were about his political support for corporate interests over ordinary people and it caused him a cognitive dissonance he can't stand.

It is sad to watch this because its Democrats in general who will be hurt by it. Warren is talking about issues, and yes she's going to criticize candidates who won't challenge the wealthy. But the response is going to be to make personal attacks on her and of course her "likability."

I'm not optimistic about Democrats coming out of this nomination process united.

snoopy

Well Trump would take the same approach so now is the time for Warren to cut her teeth on these arguments.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Democratic candidates should engage in sexist attacks? And I suppose women should just say thank you for to Joe Biden for getting Warren ready?

What about Biden in this?

ETA: What if one of the candidates attacks Buttigieg for being gay? Should we just say Trump will do that so he better get used to it?

caseyedwards

Solution for republicans is simple though and should scare people! Just use the ukraine impeachment to remove trump and solve their problems

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
You know, Hillary Clinton had Bernie Sanders supporters throwing dollar bills at her claiming she was a corporate shill. But she didn't respond by making personal attacks on Bernie.

She spent a good deal of time making an effective case for incremental reforms. Biden could do this instead of personal attacks.

PRlady

Nerdy flack
Biden is scared and the tried and true response to that is go negative. I think it’s going to rebound against him in the long run. He’s sure pissing off this woman immensely.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Biden is scared and the tried and true response to that is go negative. I think it’s going to rebound against him in the long run. He’s sure pissing off this woman immensely.
And here's the thing. He's one of the four top candidates. He could be the nominee. He's hurting himself. Maybe it will mean he doesn't get the nomination? But what if he does after he's created such hostility? His won't be a strong candidacy if he goes this route.

Would it help Warren to learn to deal with sexist attacks? Are we under the impression she just crawled out from under a rock? She's been dealing with them as a powerful woman challenging vested interests for many years. But casting doubt on whether a woman can win, which is what such attacks amount to, no it won't help her.

Its just divisive for Democrats. And that harms whoever is the eventual nominee.

snoopy

If she fights back effectively, I absolutely think it will help her. And I don't think Biden is going to get the nomination no matter what. I think it is Warren's to lose at this point.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Biden has a lot of supporters. Do you remember how angry Sanders and Clinton supporters were at each other? There's no way that helps the party in the long run. What about Democrats supporting Biden when others perceive him to be acting in a sexist manner toward Warren? The "Biden wing" of the party is sexist? I don't think that helps the Democrats.

And as I say Warren knows all about sexist attacks. She's had plenty of practice.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Turning to a different matter- an analysis of some of the challenges faced by Pete Buttigieg:

What I get from that article is that the answer is no as far as voters who would otherwise consider voting for a Democrat, with the caveat being that some people may think other people won't vote for a gay candidate so will worry about his electability. But apparently really no more than for age with regard to the candidates over 70.

My takeaway is that its not that big a factor for his candidacy.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
Not clicking on it but the Post has an article headlined that there's new line of attack on Warren: that she's angry and antagonistic.

Yes, now little lady, all that talking, well why don't you just sit down and be nicer. :rolleyes:
And yet, she persisted.

mrinalini

The story about how Warren was sexually harassed by the man responsible for hiring her for one of her first positions teaching law amazed me - he actually chased her around his office! When he died, she was asked to speak at his funeral and mentioned her Me Too moment in front of his widow and children!

So I think she's had experience putting M.C.P.s in their places, but from the last debate I don't think it's her style to get personal. There's something very classy about her, but I hope she unleashes her inner beetch if required, and that may be soon in regards to Biden and especially later on with Trump.

Meanwhile, the initial wariness has now been replaced with a willingness to meet and talk in regards to Bill Gates' and Ms. Warren's newsworthy back-and-forth, which is all good optics for Ms. Warren - I can't imagine Bill Gates would be interested in having a summit with Biden, for example! :p

Oh, and Trevor Noah's latest piece on Warren is hilarious..."The Warren of Wall Street"! :rofl:

ballettmaus

Because billionaires are terrified of Senator Warren.
At the same time, CNN analysts just said that Warren might benefit since Bloomberg will provide another moderate alternative and that he'll likely take votes away from Biden and Buttigieg but not Warren.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 8, Guests: 2)