The Race for the 2020 POTUS elections

aftershocks

... it reveals a weakness for Biden. This doesn't have to be a bad thing for him. Now he knows he needs to be prepared in a debate and not take his lead for granted. The Republicans will not play clean. Biden better have better responses later on when things get more serious. Plus, Biden was far from the only person who had to deal with tough questions. He just got caught being woefully unprepared for this debate or at least thought he had an answer that pleased people and it did not. Better for him to know now...
I didn't say it's a bad thing for Biden. As I said, it's still very early yet. And I also said that Biden and his team should learn from what happened and be better prepared in future debates. But again, I really hope the candidates will bring substance and civility. I do not need to see Kamala Harris using emotional 'race-based' push-button personal memories prefaced by "I know you have a good civil rights record, but...' strategy to take down the apparent front-runner in an attempt to take early advantage.

I don't doubt topics of 'race' (based on faux social constructs and actual painful history which we've all been impacted by) are valid topics of discussion. But, I don't like the knee-jerk slyness. I don't believe it was a genuine, heartfelt motive on her part. It was a strategic, dirty tactic. Bring out egregious aspects of our social-cultural history for purposeful, policy measures you plan to enact, or at least as a way of outlining ways to begin tacklng such problems responsibly, rather than pointing fingers and grandstanding. I don't think we need Trump 2.0 as a WOC, simply because Trump plays dirty and is a mindless bully.

I see Harris using her personal school-busing experience and acting all put-out and emotional as a strategy. I don't believe she's being genuine. It reminds me of a kind-of #MeToo era, chest-beating pile-on which is over-reactive and ultimately self-serving, and not actually helpful to those who are suffering from ongoing racist and misogynistic acts and unfairness.

Anyways, even if it was just grandstanding and a strategy works to increase poll numbers, then, if it worked, then something she said resonated with people, so how can it be really illegitimate?
Just because it may have 'resonated' with some people in the current cultural climate, doesn't make what she did or said 'legitimate.' Some people don't know how to think for themselves. And quite a few people in this country are unfortunately easily taken in and goddamn stupid, obviously. If that wasn't the case, we might not be in the current fix we're in with the Trump circus presidency.

If one doesn't like someone already, like Harris, then you're going to think whatever she did was just grandstanding for increased poll numbers...
That's your perception and presumption, based on whatever.

Personally, I don't know enough about Harris yet. What I first had heard sounded impressive, but our culture has a tendency to glorify and hype people, sometimes for not the best reasons. @Vagabond awhile later mentioned something about Kamala Harris that made me think twice. Still, I am basing my opinions of the debate incident on what I saw and heard in the debate, not on any preconceived impressions of Harris. If I felt what Harris said and the way she presented it was actually heartfelt and legitimate rather than a sly and strategic use of the 'race card' in reverse, then I would say so.

I'm not going to fall in line with Harris simply because she's a skilled lawyer and an ambitious, capable WOC. I want to see and hear more. And I'd appreciate @Vagabond weighing in again with his knowledge and objections he previously voiced about Harris, which I can't recall in detail.

I'm also unfortunately skeptical that our country is yet ready to elect a woman of any color for the presidency of the U.S. And yes, I also admit to being very bitter about Hillary being rejected out of hand because stupid idiots in this country, willing to fall for anything, didn't like Hillary because she's been maligned and caricatured by Repubs and right-wing pundits and operatives since forever, among other nefarious Russian and Comey-related machinations.

Any woman who dares to take on the 'glass-ceiling' mantle better be bringing something better than Hillary brought, which is a very tall order IMHO.

Last edited:

ballettmaus

I see Harris using her personal school-busing experience and acting all put-out and emotional as a strategy. I don't believe she's being genuine.
The busing was just one aspect that came from Biden pointing out that he even worked with and found common ground with segregationists. But Harris wasn't the only voice of criticism, nor was she the first, I believe (she also voiced criticism before the debate although she did not bring up busing).

Booker's response: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/biden-showed-lack-understanding-insensitivity-sen-cory-booker/story?id=63871884

Booker's response to a comment Biden made after the debate: https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/30/cory-booker-joe-biden-race-1390861

Booker's response to Biden's answer on busing: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/28/politics/cory-booker-slams-joe-biden-on-busing-cnntv/index.html

I'm not posting the links to "exonerate" Harris or anything like that. (I do believe that her campaign saw an opportunity for her and they took it, I don't think it was meant to go "below the belt" so to speak. If it was then she would lose a lot of my respect). But I'm just saying that the criticism existed before and after the debate and she wasn't the only one.
Yes, neither Harris' nor Booker's word is gospel and they are only two POC out of many. Others may feel differently but that doesn't make their (Booker and Harris) feelings any less valid. Even if Biden meant no harm with his comment (and I don't believe he did) I would have loved if he had simply accepted how his comment made his two black running mates feel and apologized right away.

The ability to listen, pause, reflect and then adjust a point of view and/or attitude accordingly if necessarily is something that I think anyone who wants to lead a country should have.
I didn't see that in Biden, at least not for 18 days, which is how long it took him to apologize. I'm glad that he did. Now I hope that he didn't apologize because his campaign told him to do so but because he truly understood why his comments were criticized. https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/06/biden-apologizes-segregationist-2020-1399254

Last edited:

caseyedwards

Only now would someone think to use busing against someone! The policy of banning parents from sending their kids to their local public schools rightly and broadly died like 30 years ago!! But now so many liberals believe in busing again. Banning kids based on their race from going to their nearest school to try to make all schools equally diverse!!! Insane feel good nonsense

ballettmaus

And, Biden's first inclination, whether premature or seen as self-serving or otherwise, was to approach a woman of color politician about the possibility of becoming his running mate.
Was it ever confirmed that this is why he talked to Abrams?

But this is where impressions and opinions differ. You see it as something commendable. If it is why he spoke with Abrams, then I see it as arrogance and entitlement (that I'm also seeing in the complaint that his Senate record has come under scrutiny rather than his years that he served under Obama, for example. He's not new to politics. He should know that running for President means everything will be put under a microscope (and I think, he even started it by pointing to his Senate career as an example for how good he was at negotiating. I don't know if it had come up in the primaries if he hadn't opened the door, but I'm sure it would come up if he becomes the nominee)).

Who are you in favor of who's so much more better than Biden as a potential Dem nominee for president?
Sorry, missed that earlier. I'm currently most impressed with Warren and yes, Harris. Although, I'm going back and forth on Harris. I think Harris started out very strong then kind of weakened a little but I think she had a strong debate performance. I don't know if it's possible but I like how she wants to tackle gun control. She came across as well-prepared and confident and someone I could see doing the job. I don't know how much she could get done but I don't know how much anyone can get done, really.

I was lukewarm on Warren at first, but her prepardness and the fact that she really has detailed plans that include how to do something impressed me. I like her proposals/agenda in general and I think that, if anything, she is overprepared. I guess, what I'd like to find out is how she flexible she is and how she is at improvising. Same for Harris, actually. I think improvisation skills are a must-have for a President. I would have liked a stronger response on gun control although, I do believe that she is right that the gun debate needs to be treated like a serious medical issue. I also hope she's a bit more visible in the second debate. She slipped too much into the background and became too much of a "silent observer who lets the kids fight it out" during the first for my taste.

I liked Buttigieg at the beginning and yes, I do like a politician who takes responsibility, like he did. At the same time, I'm not a fan of how he handled the shooting. He made some decisions I'm not on board with. I'm not sold on him and we'll see how he does in the future. If I had to choose today, I'd choose him mostly because Biden said he'd compromise on climate change and Buttigieg has not and I believe no one should be willing to compromise on climate change. Most every other issue, yes. Climate change, definitely not! (At least not initially. Unfortunately, I believe that everyone will have to compromise eventually and doing something is better than doing nothing. But usually, when you're willing to compromise from the start and let the other side know, you get less than when you go in and don't signal willingness to compromise. In other words, I believe that anyone who isn't willing to compromise from the get-go will get more out of it in the end).

I like Booker's past record but so far, I haven't seen anything that impresses me as much. And I like Castro's immigration proposal. He's acutally remembering that undocumented immigrants aren't the only immigrants and has a proposal not only for undocumented immigrants but for us legal immigrants as well.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Biden apologized for what though? That he tried to work with segregationists??? Lots of people, including some people's own relatives voted for segregationists! Lots of people each and every one of us happen to know or may even be related to, voted for Trump! So the current OTT media and debate policers forced an apology from Biden. Kudos. Looks like we can keep on shooting this campaign process in the foot, because someone possibly thinks a Buttigieg/Harris ticket is gonna win against Trumpster. Hmmm... Kind, decent, front-runner Biden gets the heave-ho because he's too decent and folksy and Uncle Joe-like to beat a fat, orange bully. Hmmm...

Egads! After the 2016 media circus campaign, I'm not sure I'm ready for this f'ing, hifalutin', 'who can we beat up next in the Dem race,' nonsense.

So what that poor Kamala Harris got bused and bothered. She wasn't one of those young school desegregation pioneers who had to brave jeers, sneers, spittle, slurs, invective, and the threat of bodily harm in the 1950s and 1960s, even though she's trying to position herself that way. I'm waiting for everyone to get serious about black men and women being targeted, stopped, arrested and killed for merely the color of their skin. I'm waiting for everyone to take up the case for reparations for African-Americans! Stop with the faux, emotional button-pushing nonsense. Go watch some serious documentaries about the civil rights movement, and read some books about that era too. You might start with, Emmett Till: The Murder that Shocked the World and Propelled the Civil Rights Movement, by Devery S. Anderson. Take the time to read the entire thick volume and realize all of the complications and complexities of our history in this country that can never be encapsulated in soundbites, much less understood and solved in oneupmanship presidential debates.

Take a good long look at the recent James Baldwin documentary, I AM NOT YOUR NEGRO, which missed out on a documentary Oscar in favor of the more button-pushing entertaining violence saga of OJ Simpson. Be more reflective and less reliant on what news and political commentators are pushing. They are the same people who claimed both Hillary and Trump were equally bad candidates, and that Hillary could not be trusted, while yet repeatedly pushing the notion that she was so far ahead in the polls she had the win in the bag. All the while, they kept covering from beginning to end, Trump's deplorable rallies, giving short shrift to substantive campaign rallies and speeches by Hillary.

The mainstream media also made excuses for Comey's eleventh-hour butthead decision two weeks before the election, which harmed voter turnout for Hillary. And they didn't do enough investigative reporting during the campaign to bring out the hidden story that Trump was being investigated by the FBI. But yep, we really needed to know all about Hillary's emails! :drama: I personally do not trust anyone in the media, nor do I take everything that's said by any candidate at face value. I want to know more, and I'm not falling for party lines, spin-tactics, and the latest 'talking-head' bullet points.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I guess you're not a fan of Kamala Harris? She seems to have hit a big nerve with you. I'm not really a fan either, but not for the same reasons. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you also admitted you didn't watch the debate either? In the debate there were multiple people talking about African-Americans being targeted by police and many issues related to that. That was where Buttigieg stumbled a bit, but he seemed to have a response people liked enough even if others didn't like his actual answer.

VGThuy

For anyone interested, Sanders criticized Biden's line about not believing 500 billionaires are the reason this country is in trouble in his newest Op-Ed:

Joe Biden recently said, “I don’t think 500 billionaires are the reason why we’re in trouble.” I respectfully disagree. Any candidate who claims to believe black lives matter must take on the institutions that have continually exploited black lives.

ballettmaus

Biden apologized for what though?
From the article that I linked to a quote from Biden:

"Now was I wrong a few weeks ago, to somehow give the impression to people that I was praising those men who I successfully opposed time and again? Yes, I was. I regret it. I'm sorry for any of the pain or misconception that I caused anybody," the former vice president and Democratic presidential candidate said to cheers during a speech to a mostly black audience in Sumter, S.C.

So what that poor Kamala Harris got bused and bothered. She wasn't one of those young school desegregation pioneers who had to brave jeers, sneers, spittle, slurs, invective, and the threat of bodily harm in the 1950s and 1960s, even though she's trying to position herself that way. I'm waiting for everyone to get serious about black men and women being targeted, stopped, arrested and killed for merely the color of their skin. I'm waiting for everyone to take up the case for reparations for African-Americans! Stop with the faux, emotional button-pushing nonsense.
How much do you actually know about Harris and Booker and their proposals that address racial inequality?

Here are some of Harris' proposals that address racial inequality.

Women's health care: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kamala-harris-reintroduces-bill-to-reduce-maternal-mortality-rate-among-black-women/

Homeownership: https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/06/kamala-harris-homeownership-2020-1399253

Criminal Justice Reform: https://kamalaharris.org/issue/criminal-justice-reform/

Voting Rights: https://kamalaharris.org/issue/government-for-the-people/

Harris is in favor of the bill introduced by Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee and then determine the best way forward on reparations. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kamala-harris-reparations-payouts-slavery_n_5cbe7dade4b0f7a84a74184d

Here are some of Booker's.

Housing: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-booker/presidential-hopeful-booker-releases-sweeping-affordable-housing-plan-idUSKCN1T61F3

Baby Bonds: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/24/cory-booker-wants-to-give-baby-bonds-to-every-newborn.html

Criminal Justice Reform (including provisions to end police brutality and racial profiling): https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2019/03/how-cory-bookers-criminal-justice-push-could-boost-his-presidential-hopes/

Voting Rights: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/17/politics/cory-booker-voting-rights-act/index.html

Booker actually testified in front of the House judiciary subcommittee on the subject of reparations: https://usatoday.com/story/opinion/2019/06/20/cory-booker-reparations-slavery-talker/1509105001/

canbelto

What I find puzzling is this idea that Biden should be treated with special care and respect ... like hes somehow special. No. Hes been in the political arena for a long time and Harris or AOC are not the first or last people to go after his record. Politics is a rough business and Biden needs to roll with the punches. Neither ladies have personally attacked him. They haven't called him dumb or old the way Trump has.

ballettmaus

She wasn't one of those young school desegregation pioneers who had to brave jeers, sneers, spittle, slurs, invective, and the threat of bodily harm in the 1950s and 1960s, even though she's trying to position herself that way.
No, she is not. She merely pointed out that she was one of the children who was bused and, as a matter-of-fact, she was part of the class that was only the second class of her school. And I don't know about you, but I have no idea how that affected her.

Go watch some serious documentaries about the civil rights movement, and read some books about that era too. You might start with, Emmett Till: The Murder that Shocked the World and Propelled the Civil Rights Movement, by Devery S. Anderson. Take the time to read the entire thick volume and realize all of the complications and complexities of our history in this country that can never be encapsulated in soundbites, much less understood and solved in oneupmanship presidential debates.

Take a good long look at the recent James Baldwin documentary, I AM NOT YOUR NEGRO, which missed out on a documentary Oscar in favor of the more button-pushing entertaining violence saga of OJ Simpson.
And I have absolutely no idea what books and documentaries on the civil rights movement have to do with how Biden's comments were received by his running mates and how (I think) he handled the criticism.

But I do know that no amount of books and documentaries will change the fact that I think that Kamala Harris and Cory Booker have the right to feel the way that they do because one has nothing to do with the other.

Be more reflective and less reliant on what news and political commentators are pushing.
Yes, everyone here will totally attest to the fact that I'm not the least bit critical of the news media and have not gone on several rants about how they treated Clinton or should treat Trump. ;)

And thanks for all your free and unsolicited advice, but I always have and will continue to base my opinion of the candidates on their policy positions and what they stand for. I'm weird like that.

By the way, all of the issues that I posted specifics for for Harris and Booker - all I could find for Biden were a few general sentences on his campaign website and, out of those issues, the only time he very specifically mentioned inequality with regards to race was with voting rights. He also has an unknown stance on reparations/has not voiced support of federal funded research. Just saying.

Last edited:

aftershocks

From the article that I linked to a quote from Biden:

How much do you actually know about Harris and Booker and their proposals that address racial inequality?

Here are some of Harris' proposals that address racial inequality.

Women's health care: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kamala-harris-reintroduces-bill-to-reduce-maternal-mortality-rate-among-black-women/

Homeownership: https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/06/kamala-harris-homeownership-2020-1399253

Criminal Justice Reform: https://kamalaharris.org/issue/criminal-justice-reform/

Voting Rights: https://kamalaharris.org/issue/government-for-the-people/

Harris is in favor of the bill introduced by Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee and then determine the best way forward on reparations. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kamala-harris-reparations-payouts-slavery_n_5cbe7dade4b0f7a84a74184d

Here are some of Booker's.

Housing: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-booker/presidential-hopeful-booker-releases-sweeping-affordable-housing-plan-idUSKCN1T61F3

Baby Bonds: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/24/cory-booker-wants-to-give-baby-bonds-to-every-newborn.html

Criminal Justice Reform (including provisions to end police brutality and racial profiling): https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2019/03/how-cory-bookers-criminal-justice-push-could-boost-his-presidential-hopes/

Voting Rights: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/17/politics/cory-booker-voting-rights-act/index.html

Booker actually testified in front of the House judiciary subcommittee on the subject of reparations: https://usatoday.com/story/opinion/2019/06/20/cory-booker-reparations-slavery-talker/1509105001/
Hey, good for them. I wasn't talking about them or to them though. I was talking to some of the commenters in this thread laboring on in defense of Kamala Harris' purposeful attempt to take Biden down utilizing the race card, even though she knows he's actively worked for social justice and does not harbor segregationist attitudes himself.

So what that you haven't found anything on Biden's website to trot out here to prove something or other about his 'racial justice' cred. :duh:

Kudos to Harris for getting what she hoped for and then some. Scoring debate points, gaining sympathy and voter interest. But above all, getting Biden to bow and scrape and 'splain himself for his egregious faux pas. What else is new(s) in this superficial day and age we are living in! To paraphrase the famous words of the inimitable Bette Davis in A Star Is Born: "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy ride..."

What I find puzzling is this idea that Biden should be treated with special care and respect ...
Maybe you're so puzzled because you are the one creating this idea all by yourself. :blah:

Last edited:

ballettmaus

Hey, good for them. I wasn't talking about them though. I was talking to some of the commenters in this thread laboring on in defense of Kamala Harris' purposeful attempt to take Biden down utilizing the race card, even though she knows he's actively worked for social justice and does not harbor segregationist attitudes himself.
That does not mean that his comment can't have been perceived as hurtful by her or Booker. Neither accused Biden to be a segregationist or a racist and they both recognize his record. What Booker criticized specifically was Biden's inablity to talk race in our day and age because the comments were insensitive.

Neither Booker's nor Harris' criticism was ever about Biden's intentions. It was simply about the comment itself.

I'm sure we all have said things in our life that unintentionally hurt someone. The people we hurt usually tell us and we apologize. This was no different and, as I said before, I think, if Biden had apologized right away, it would have been a non-issue.

(By the way, is there any reason why you keep ignoring that Booker was as critical if not more critcal than Harris?)

So what that you haven't found anything on Biden's website to trot out here to prove something or other about his 'racial justice' cred. :duh:
It means that the man you are championing for having such a great racial equality record has not yet put out any policy proposals that address the current racial equality in the country. Which I kind of think is what matters because we're not living in the past.

Last edited:

aftershocks

It means that the man you are championing for having such a great racial equality record has not yet put out any policy proposals that address the current racial equality in the country. Which I kind of think is what matters because we're not living in the past.
It's your exaggeration that I ever claimed Biden has 'a great racial equality record.' I said that he's actively worked for social justice causes, and he is clearly not a segregationist. Mountain out of molehill much. But that's what Harris' tactic was all about. I'd rather the debates actually be about debating policy differences and candidates' experience and ideas on how to tackle serious problems our country and the world are facing, rather than 'gotcha' ploys played out over days to embarrass one candidate or another.

Cory Booker is rather cute, and he's done a lot of good work to represent his constituents and our country. He enjoys the odd grandstanding on occasion, but I think he's also genuine in his emotions, despite seeming OTT on occasion. We'll see how his presidential bid evolves. As far as his piggybacking on Harris' faux concerns about Biden, so what?! He piggybacked on trying to take down the current front-runner. What else is new(s)? :COP:

Boo-hoo, I'm quite sure that Cory and Kamala are so offended and broken up about Biden's comments. That ol' wanker needs to get down on his knees and beg forgiveness in perpetuity! :wuzrobbed :rolleyes:

ballettmaus

Hey, good for them. I wasn't talking about them or to them though.
Since this is/was about the candidates and Biden, Booker and Harris specifically, I assumed "everyone" meant the candidates.

I'd rather the debates actually be about debating policy differences and candidates' experience and ideas on how to tackle serious problems our country and the world are facing, rather than 'gotcha' ploys played out over days to embarrass one candidate or another.
It was that, for the most part, and as much as a first debate can be about that.

As far as his piggybacking on Harris' faux concerns about Biden, so what?! He piggybacked on trying to take down the current front-runner.
Except that, as I explained before, the criticism arose long before the debate (about a week before) and Booker's was the first and most vocal criticism. And, as I also said in a previous post, Booker also criticized Biden for how he responded to Harris and then criticized Biden a couple of days later for another comment Booker thought was unfortunate and showed that Biden didn't yet have what it takes to lead a national debate on racism.

I also believe he would argue that he's his own man and can think for himself ;)

Boo-hoo, I'm quite sure that Cory and Kamala are so offended and broken up about Biden's comments. That ol' wanker needs to get down on his knees and beg forgiveness in perpetuity! :wuzrobbed :rolleyes:
I may not have read all of the books and watched the documentaries that you have read and watched, but at least, I understand what the criticism of Biden's comments is/was about and don't make fun of but respect how Harris and Booker feel about them.

And since I have repeated myself now quite a bit, that's it for me.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Except that, as I explained before, the criticism arose long before the debate (about a week before) and Booker's was the first and most vocal criticism.
So then it was Harris who expediently and successfully piggybacked on what Booker brought out a week before the debate. And Booker expertly managed to pile-on. Two-on-one ploy. Score! :watch: :yawn:

And since I have repeated myself now quite a bit, that's it for me.
:p Happy next debate-viewing. :drama:

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
One question, @aftershocks, will you support and vote for the eventual Democratic nominee. I will. I have said it before, this election is much too important to let purity be the enemy of good.

VGThuy

Elizabeth Warren unveils a new immigration plan:

President Trump has taken our immigration system to its most punitive extreme, but his racist policies build on a broken system and an enforcement infrastructure already primed for abuse. Today, I'm announcing my plan to reform our immigration system.

I woke up to notifications of like 10 tweets from her.

the 2020 Democratic presidential candidate outlined a sweeping plan to change the country’s immigration system, designating a Justice Department task force to investigate accusations of migrant mistreatment and dramatically reducing the number of migrants held in detention facilities by instead relying on existing surveillance and monitoring technology.

“We already have the tools to effectively track and monitor individuals without shoving them into cages and camps along the border. As President, I’ll issue guidance ensuring that detention is only used where it is actually necessary because an individual poses a flight or safety risk,” the post says.
Some of it is modeled after Julian Castro's work when he was Secretary of HUD. I would love a Warren/Castro ticket, though I'm sure I'll get a lot of responses here about how "unelectable" that is.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
I have no problem with folks swinging hard in a debate, that’s what it’s for. I completely agree that every candidate needs to be well prepared.

I am more concerned about name calling from pundits and people in the back. So and so not answering a question to someone’s satisfaction doesn’t make them a racist. So and so not having a policy position someone disagrees with doesn’t make them a Republican (in my book, that’s name calling:lol:) Et cetera. It makes them the candidate you’d rather not see win.

And personal impresssions will always be important. For the first time in my life, I actually know people who know a candidate. One degree of separation. :eek:People I know and trust because I know them. And they say that Mayor Pete is the real deal, thoughtful, smart, committed to equality and fairness and all the good things Democrats love ).

Without them, I wouldn’t have given him a second look. But because I know and trust them, he’s getting many looks.

But when it comes to November 2020, #VoteBlueNoMatterWho

VGThuy

The first debate is very useful in telling candidates what messages resonate and which ones don't and what they need to work on. For example, Mayor Pete learned he needs to brush up on his own ideas on racial inequality to better attract POC voters, and it seems he's getting ready to talk more about racial inequality:

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
The first debate is very useful in telling candidates what messages resonate and which ones don't and what they need to work on. For example, Mayor Pete learned he needs to brush up on his own ideas on racial inequality to better attract POC voters, and it seems he's getting ready to talk more about racial inequality:

I admit that Mayor Pete needs to do a better job communicating his ideals (I was on Twitter the other day and half the “black people won’t vote for Mayor Pete” came from a Bretibart article:eek: I told myself he must be gaining traction if Breitbart is attacking him, like they care about POC:shuffle:

The people I know who know, one is African-American and says Pete is committed to equality and thinks the police chief stuff is so much happy hoohah. ETA: my source does, not Mayor Pete :DBut I realize that I am basing my opinions again on personal stuff that the vast majority of voters don’t know or care.

He needs to do a better job communicating what I am told are his deeply felt ideals, no doubt.(y)

ballettmaus

Here's the full plan:

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
They're all seeing the same things we are, aren't they?
Yes and no. In some cases they aren't seeing the same things. In other cases, they are but they don't interpret them the way we do.

For example, I think most of the judges Trump has appointed are horrible. Conservatives think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread and Trump delivered for them.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Sure, but I've still not gotten used to statements like that. They're all seeing the same things we are, aren't they? So... why? I still don't get (and probably never will).
She says what she thinks will get her elected. WY is heavily dependent on coal and gas and are going to vote for less government regulation in pretty much everything. They will vote GOP regardless of the candidate.

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
By saying Biden thinks because he's what we call 'white' that he feels that is an important difference and a superior poltical/ societal distinction, is rather crass thinking in and of itself on the part of you who are thinking that of Biden.
I just love how you can take one (rather facetious) comment and turn it into several posts all incredibly long that often have nothing to do with the original comment.

My point, which I'm pretty sure everyone else got, is that the GoP were not willing to work with Obama because of his race.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 7, Guests: 2)