The Race for the 2020 POTUS elections

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I guess I'm asking does this spill over to all walks of life? Do they not believe women can be presidents, judges, CEO's, entrepreneurs and other leadership positions?

IME, yes. Though the people who espouse that view are unlikely to just come out and say that. It’s more subtle.

barbarafan

IME, yes. Though the people who espouse that view are unlikely to just come out and say that. It’s more subtle.
I think it does spill over...Let's be honest. In order to loosen Trump's stranglehold on the presidency you need a lot of republicans to switch to Democrats. Southern Republicans for sure, admitted or not would have a problem with a woman for president and/or quite possibly have a problem with a gay president. These people I am talking about think republican but cannot abide with Donald Trump destroying their country. Take Joe from morning JOE. He has now switched over from Republican to Democrat. I really like Mika in their show and of the 2 of them I have more respect for her opinions but as soon as she talks Joe cuts her off and goes off spewing whatever. That really bugs me but I feel Joe doesn't even realize he does it...it is just natural for him. And her not taking him to task is the same thing. I honestly feel the only democrat who can beat Trump is Joe Biden....because Republicans who might cross over will find him more acceptable to their palet. He is not my first choice but he is a great man, with tremendous experience, and is a good man with so much strength.He needs a lot of grooming on some things but to have Trump win would be a worldwide disaster. I like Kamala Harris, Pete Buttigieg and Elizabeth Warren. One of them should be Vice-president. In my world Joe would stay for 4yrs and not run for a second term and should pass on all he can to the others during the 4 yrs.
Keep your eye on the ball....If Trump has his way he will bring slavery back and all the people who have died and devoted their lives to civil rights will have done it for nothing.

caseyedwards

Not Republican prosecutors in Alabama. It is not going to happen.
Child marriage in Alabama was still a thing as recently as August 2017.

The marriage age was since raised to 16 with parental consent, and during the discussion over their total abortion ban, one legislator was quoted as wanting to lower the age back to 14 or 15 so those pregnant girls could marry their rapists with parental consent.
It would just be one person! They don’t have to throw away their support of child marriage totally.

And what about any democratic prosecutors

Moore is guilty of violent sexual assaults and trying to cover it up. That’s violating civil rights. No SOL

Susan1

From my observation, during the last 30 years; those that hold most closely to the concept of "subservience to men". resist the idea of women in secular/civil leadership roles, also; except for the few who will support/advance their beliefs.
Sort of sidebar-ish but related to subservience/religion, my yahoo newsfeed is showing that another Duggar girl just had a baby, and Anna is pregnant with her 6th child by her husband, the child molester.

Vagabond

18 Questions. 21 Democrats. Here’s What They Said.

The questions ranged from "Do you think it's possible for the next president to stop climate change?" to "How many hours of sleep do you get per night?"

Joe Biden did not participate.

Alarmingly, only three (Delaney, Warren, and Gillibrand) said they actually get at least seven hours per night. At the moment, this will have to be my short list, though I would not rank them in that order.

Last edited:

canbelto

So all this fuss about Jim Eastland has me down the YT rabbit hole. I found this convo between LBJ and Eastland about three missing civil rights workers. Eastland tries to downplay the news, and implies it's "fake news" and says that they were imprisoned in Meridian. "It was curious that they were reported missing" so soon after their supposed arrest. LBJ pretends to listen to this and then mic drops "Here's the problem. Hoover just called me and they found the car and it wasn't headed towards Meridian it was in the opposite direction." What I learned: the "civility" between these two Southern senators was mostly a farce. LBJ clearly has no patience entertaining this nonsense, and you can hear it in his clipped voice (the Texas drawl pretty much disappears) and how much he speeds the conversation along.

Maybe there was a bourbon-swilling back-slapping side to their relationship, but this brief telephone call speaks volumes about the "civility" back in the day. It was all surface.

Japanfan

Many voters; both male and female, still will not support a woman.

While that's true - particularly with regard to internalized misogyny - I hope that Hillary's run has somewhat normalized the notion that a woman can be President. Like her or hate her, she's a trail blazer and as Michelle Obama said, put about 17 million cracks in that highest and hardest of glass ceilings.

And there will be young first-time voters who saw Hillary run. It may not have occurred to any of them that there was anything unusual about a woman running for or becoming President.

Her ideas are worthy.

However, she presents herself; and them, with a "strident" edge, which may feel "threatening" to some voters.
Confidence and competence doesn't always translate well.

I agree, but her stridency also comes across as passion, IMO. She does seem to genuinely care about the issues she is passionate about and the future of her country.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
Ok I know this evangelical pastor who says its "God's law" to have men be leaders. Is this really a church sanctioned belief that women cant be leaders?
Probably stems from the teachings of the well-known misogynist, St. Paul. And, IIRC, in the Catholic church, untill something like the tenth century, priests could marry. The Church put an end to that when they realised the married priests were leaving their money to their offspring, rather than going into Church coffers.
I hope that Hillary's run has somewhat normalized the notion that a woman can be President.
Remember, Sec. Clinton won the popular vote by three million. The electoral college overrode it. That being said, we must also remember that Hillary came in second to apathy, 46% did not vote.

canbelto

I think Warren is different from Hillary. For one, Warren is a self-made politician. Part of Hillary's baggage was people were always comparing her to Bill. The other difference is more subtle -- Warren has a different temperament than Hillary. Hillary tended to get defensive when being attacked (which was nonstop so ...) Warren has a way of staying calm and explaining her positions.

My big concern about Warren is more her fundraising abilities. The people who really like her aren't the types to have deep pockets, if that makes sense. Hillary already had tons of money in the war-chest when she ran.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Jim Clyburn fish fry live: Democratic 2020 candidates descend on South Carolina, live stream, the whole fish fry video:

There are some separate videos out there too. Some 22 candidates showed up to speak.

Elizabeth Warren
Joe Biden
Beto O'Rourke
Kamala Harris
Bernie Sanders

Louis

Private citizen
Sanders and Warren are competing to see who has the bigger "magic money tree." Now Sanders is saying he's going to instantly wipe out all student debt for everyone and make college free for everyone. :rolleyes:

I worry that they're both catering to the upper middle class / limousine liberal / iPhone / 4-year-college wing of the party and not doing much to bring in new voters. And will they force the mainstream candidates to move too far to the left to be electable?

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
Sanders and Warren are competing to see who has the bigger "magic money tree." Now Sanders is saying he's going to instantly wipe out all student debt for everyone and make college free for everyone. :rolleyes:
I guess he thinks the Free Unicorns he promised everyone can excrete Gold which will pay for all of this! (Sarcasm Emoticon). What's next will be a clamor from those students who already paid off their debts, to be reimbursed! "Why should the new bunch get theirs free, when we had to pay for ours?".

JanetB

I guess he thinks the Free Unicorns he promised everyone can excrete Gold which will pay for all of this! (Sarcasm Emoticon). What's next will be a clamor from those students who already paid off their debts, to be reimbursed! "Why should the new bunch get theirs free, when we had to pay for ours?".

When I went to university from 1986 to 1990, I needed on average $7,000 per year for everything. I was lucky I paid approximately half and my parents paid the rest. But now tuition alone is over $7,000 per year, it's really sad, our society is eating its future.

topaz

I worry that they're both catering to the upper middle class / limousine liberal / iPhone / 4-year-college wing of the party and not doing much to bring in new voters. And will they force the mainstream candidates to move too far to the left to be electable?

Moving the left is not catering to the upper middle class. It's actually speaking to many folks who are struggling. Upper middle class have access to higher education, clean drinking water, better healthcare, and economic choices that many of us do not have.

Sanders outlined how he plans to fund free public education.

@Louis especially:
There is currently 1.5 trillion dollars in student loan debt held by Americans. The average balance is around $30k per person. You do the math on how this effects the overall US economy.

That's money that could be used for things like creating a savings/emergency fund. As long as student debt increases, options to access affordable higher education/training continue to rise; things like savings, families, and affordable housing will suffer.

It blows my mind how folks like you simply don't get how many Americans for ALL age groups suffer from student loan debt. It's not just "young" people. Many of us over the age of 40 have had to go back to school for more training and education for our current jobs. Actually to train for a higher paying job and as a result have massive student loan debt that will be paying off well into our 60s.

Folks like you appear to be completely out of touch of the realities of everyday folks based on your comments.

topaz

Interesting piece by a reporter who saw Biden campaign at 3 separate events this weekend.

Biden is out of touch with the realities of politics in 2019 and just how much things have changed over the last 10 to 20 years. He has no new ideas and hasn't presented anything to confront the current economic and social issues that effect so many. He thinks folks like Mike Pence and Mitchell McConnell are "good people" and can be "reasoned" with. That for me is sign of bad judgement.

Biden is either completely/utterly unaware of the changing political climate or he is purposely conning folks into thinking that his brand of politics is sustainable.

I'll say it again; you can't fight fascism with centrism.

Last edited:

topaz

I think Warren is different from Hillary. For one, Warren is a self-made politician. Part of Hillary's baggage was people were always comparing her to Bill. The other difference is more subtle -- Warren has a different temperament than Hillary. Hillary tended to get defensive when being attacked (which was nonstop so ...) Warren has a way of staying calm and explaining her positions.

My big concern about Warren is more her fundraising abilities. The people who really like her aren't the types to have deep pockets, if that makes sense. Hillary already had tons of money in the war-chest when she ran.

Warren is little more progressive than HRC. She doesn't have the political baggage that HRC carries, i.e supporting fracking, war hawk and supporting regime changes in other countries to name a few.

I don't think Warren will have issues with fundraising.

Louis

Private citizen
Things aren't free. Someone has to pay. I don't see anything wrong with reasonable amounts of student debt. It gives students "skin in the game" and incentive to focus on their studies. Why should we forgive student debt of people who can easily repay it with no means testing? Sanders seems like he's trying to out-do Warren by spending even more money, but without any purpose. At least Warren believes in means testing and some level of personal responsibility.

Sanders outlined how he plans to fund free public education.

By taxing savers, regardless of income, on every stock and bond trade. In some cases, this will rob the average American to bail out the rich. Retirees or student investors will have to pay this tax to cancel the low-interest debt of doctors, lawyers, MBAs, and other people making hundreds of thousands of dollars. (People usually keep this debt because it's at such a low interest that it makes no sense to pay it off early.)

It blows my mind how folks like you simply don't get how many Americans for ALL age groups suffer from student loan debt.

Less than 15% of all Americans. The median debt is also less than $10k. This "bail-out" is going to disproprotionately benefit high earners, people who went to private schools, people with multiple degrees (and usually better earning potential).... I don't see it as any better than a Wall Street bailout.

Warren, whom I can't stand, at least seems to have a grasp of these issues, to the point that she has caps, limits, exclusions, etc.

Folks like you appear to be completely out of touch of the realities of everyday folks based on your comments.

I don't think I'm the one out of touch.... this is a concern for 1 in 7 Americans. There are other, better solutions. Universities spend frivolously because they know people will pay. Cap university spending at the level of inflation or no federal funding. Similar to healthcare, the problem is the cost -- not who pays. Cost controls are the only answer.

Biden is out of touch with the realities of politics in 2019 and how just how much things have changed over the last 10 to 20 years. He has no new ideas and hasn't presented anything to confront the current economic and social issues that effect so many.
[...]
Biden is either completely/utterly unaware of the changing political climate or he is purposely conning folks into thinking that his brand of politics is sustainable.

As much as you and I may disagree on Sanders, we agree completely on Biden. I'll hold my nose and vote for him, but I really think we can do better.

The question is whether the party factions are so far apart (I'm not voting for Warren or Sanders; I'd sooner vote for Trump) that Biden becomes the realistic compromise option we can all agree is better than Trump. I hope another, better compromise candidate emerges. I'm OK with all of the other candidates to date.

topaz

Things aren't free. Someone has to pay. I don't see anything wrong with reasonable amounts of student debt. It gives students "skin in the game" and incentive to focus on their studies. Why should we forgive student debt of people who can easily repay it with no means testing? Sanders seems like he's trying to out-do Warren by spending even more money, but without any purpose. At least Warren believes in means testing and some level of personal responsibility.

What is a reasonable amount of student debt in your opinion? This is not a new policy Bernie proposed. In fact, it was proposed as the Inclusive Prosperity Act that was introduced in the House in 2012 and the Senate in 2015.

By taxing savers, regardless of income, on every stock and bond trade. In some cases, this will rob the average American to bail out the rich. Retirees or student investors will have to pay this tax to cancel the low-interest debt of doctors, lawyers, MBAs, and other people making hundreds of thousands of dollars. (People usually keep this debt because it's at such a low interest that it makes no sense to pay it off early.)

His proposal is based on the economist Robert Pollin's projections.
FTT Tax
The tax rates stipulated in this Act include 0.5% (50 basis points (bps)) for all stock transactions, 0.1% (10 bps) for all bond transactions and 0.005% (0.5 bps) on the notional value of all derivative trades. We examine three sets of evidence to generate potential revenue estimates: 1) the levels of transaction costs in US financial markets over time and within the range of financial market segments; 2) the extent of trading elasticities under various trading conditions; and 3) the current level of trading activity in US financial market
Less than 15% of all Americans. The median debt is also less than $10k. This "bail-out" is going to disproprotionately benefit high earners, people who went to private schools, people with multiple degrees (and usually better earning potential).... I don't see it as any better than a Wall Street bailout.

Warren, whom I can't stand, at least seems to have a grasp of these issues, to the point that she has caps, limits, exclusions, etc.
Sanders’ bill “would also cap student interest rates at no higher than what the federal government pays for its debt — so that the government isn’t profiting off student loan programs — and provide at least $1.3 billion per year to eliminate or reduce tuition and fees for low-income students at two- and four-year, private nonprofit historically black colleges and universities.

I don't think I'm the one out of touch.... this is a concern for 1 in 7 Americans. There are other, better solutions. Universities spend frivolously because they know people will pay. Cap university spending at the level of inflation or no federal funding. Similar to healthcare, the problem is the cost -- not who pays. Cost controls are the only answer.
[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure about the whereabouts of the stats you list, but here are where I found mine.

• $1.56 trillion in student loan debt
  • 45 million borrowers. That's about 15% of the 327 million Americans in the US.
  • 11.5% of student loans are 90 days or more delinquent or are in default
  • Average monthly student loan payment (among those not in deferment): $393
  • Median monthly student loan payment (among those not in deferment): $222
  • Average debt at graduation from public and nonprofit colleges was $28,650 in 2017, a 1% increase from 2016.
  • 66% of graduates from public colleges had loans (average debt of $25,550)
  • 75% of graduates from private nonprofit colleges had loans (average debt of $32,300)
  • 88% of graduates from for-profit colleges had loans (average debt of $39,950)
  • About 15% of the student debt held by the graduating class of 2017 was private.
  • 48% of borrowers who attended for-profit colleges default within 12 years, compared to 12% of public college attendees, and 14% of nonprofit college attendees.
  • Americans carry, on average, $35,359 in student loan debt. That's a 26% increase in five years and a 2% increase compared with the first quarter of 2018.

As much as you and I may disagree on Sanders, we agree completely on Biden. I'll hold my nose and vote for him, but I really think we can do better.

Last edited:

VGThuy

LOL. I agree

Like, this is bad, but I'm not even listening to what he's saying (a lot of what all these candidates are saying are things I think should just be basic crap all Dem candidates should be supporting so no need to give us practiced stressed buzz terms with pauses on them) because I keep thinking his whole pose and demeanor makes him look like a younger guy who is just there to learn from other more experienced people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information