The Race for the 2020 POTUS elections

ballettmaus

Ratings
I haven't heard much negativity. Perhaps I've missed something.
CNN had an article yesterday or the day before about how not everyone was happy with one of his South Bend projects that got him elected mayor and the NYT (thought it was CNN but it wasn't) has an article today that is headlined: "Pete Buttigieg's focus: Storytelling first, policy details later". That doesn't sound quite positive either.

Louis

Ratings
I love Mayor Pete! :respec: He's my top choice and a voice that needs to be heard. I do wonder if mayor to president is too much of a leap, but he has nothing to lose by being in this race.

clairecloutier

Ratings
CNN had an article yesterday or the day before about how not everyone was happy with one of his South Bend projects that got him elected mayor and the NYT (thought it was CNN but it wasn't) has an article today that is headlined: "Pete Buttigieg's focus: Storytelling first, policy details later". That doesn't sound quite positive either.
The New York Times story wasn't bad. It talks about how there are different approaches to campaigning. One is to lead first with policy/platform papers, etc., a la Warren. Another way is to lead with a story approach, an idea/theme for how you are framing your candidacy, and build in details as you go. The story argues that there's some evidence that Americans prefer campaign style #2--and I think that's true. I felt it presented a balanced viewpoint, definitely not all negative to Buttigieg. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/14/us/politics/pete-buttigieg-2020-writing-message.html

There is also an article about Beto in Politico today, investigating the same thing in regard to him--that is, does he have firm policy beliefs or is he just sort of a generic Democrat. https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/15/beto-orourkepolicy-proposals-2020-1267666

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Ratings
What I find interesting is that, at first, Buttigieg was the rock star and it seemed that he couldn't do anything wrong. Now, as he becomes a serious contender, the CNN headlines seem to get more negative.
As they should. He is a virtual unknown. We need to know more about him. Not just the rosy pictures msnbc paints.

Ratings
Has anybody else seen Bill Weld's (former Governor, R-MA), anti-Trump t.v., ad? Weld has thrown his hat in the POTUS ring as a challenger to Trump for the Republican nomination.

His success for the nomination is minimalistic but he could help ruin Trump's reelection hopes.

I can hardly wait to see Trump's response to the ad because it is really harmful to Trump, containing clips of Trump being, well, Trump.

Ratings
According to the Washington Post headline:
Terry McAuliffe will not run for president in 2020, three people with direct knowledge say
:cheer2: I always considered him one of the most annoying politicians/pundits/fundraisers in the metro area when I lived there. I hope someone from MD sends him some Old Bay seasoning for his crabs along with a thanks for this great decision! He can enjoy them while he watches that pipeline he loves run through his beautiful state.

Last edited:

Susan1

Ratings
Has anybody else seen Bill Weld's (former Governor, R-MA), anti-Trump t.v., ad? Weld has thrown his hat in the POTUS ring as a challenger to Trump for the Republican nomination.

His success for the nomination is minimalistic but he could help ruin Trump's reelection hopes.

I can hardly wait to see Trump's response to the ad because it is really harmful to Trump, containing clips of Trump being, well, Trump.
There were a million "clips of trump being trump" ads in 2016. Didn't help. He'll just come up with some kind of derogatory nickname for him.:(

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Ratings
Why are any further Democrats considering putting their hats in the ring? Do they not see how crowded the field is even among the front-runners? Is this just to get their names out there? All in order to make a serious play in the future? Because it just looks messy right now...

Ratings
Why are any further Democrats considering putting their hats in the ring? Do they not see how crowded the field is even among the front-runners? Is this just to get their names out there? All in order to make a serious play in the future? Because it just looks messy right now...

It is starting to feel a bit wild. And for the ones who are jumping in now, will they have time to catch up in terms of name recognition/fundraising, and will they make it into the debates?? The first debates are in just two months: June 26/27.

I liked this opinion piece I read today about Buttigieg.

Yes, It Matters that Pete Buttigieg Is Gay
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/04/it-matters-pete-buttigieg-gay/586618/

Ratings
There were a million "clips of trump being trump" ads in 2016. Didn't help. He'll just come up with some kind of derogatory nickname for him.:(
Of course he will assign a derogatory nickname to Weld. That is Trump being Trump.

This t.v., commercial is different from all the other anti-Trump ads because it is being used by a Republican who is challenging Trump for the Republican POTUS 2020 nomination.

This is the first reelection threat to Trump from within his own party. And Weld is deadly serious. He is completely fed up with Trump.

Vash01

Ratings
Of course he will assign a derogatory nickname to Weld. That is Trump being Trump.

This t.v., commercial is different from all the other anti-Trump ads because it is being used by a Republican who is challenging Trump for the Republican POTUS 2020 nomination.

This is the first reelection threat to Trump from within his own party. And Weld is deadly serious. He is completely fed up with Trump.
If I was a republican I would vote for Weld over Trump.

Vash01

Ratings
I think part of the reason may be to get visibility. It could help them in future elections - not necessarily as POTUS.

Too many cooks may spoil the soup for the democrats. I am quite concerned about this.

Vash01

Ratings

He (Biden) is expected to announce next week.

BTW am I the only one who feels that Klobuchar comes across as a teenager in the way she comes across in her campaign? I thought she looked good during her interviews on MSNBC (prior to her announcement) and during her announcement, but not so anymore. Is she trying too hard to appear enthusiastic or something? It is now how I would like to see someone running for president act. I am probably being superficial, but I cannot help comparing her personality with other female candidates like Warren, Harris, Gillibrand (I have not watched Gabbard that much). They appear more professional. Anyway, I am not against Klobuchar. I do want to know more about her policies.

Peaches LaTour

Ratings
Interesting link, Jot the Dot Dot. Thanks for sharing it.

Reparation? Shall we start with the American Indians & go from there?

I think this idea for reparation connected to the slavery issue is complete bullshit for reasons stated in that article & then some.

I won't vote for anyone in favor of it.

Ratings
Seth Moulton, Democratic member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Mass, has joined the race: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/22/...ml?action=click&module=Latest&pgtype=Homepage

One of the issues where Moulton has been a bit out of step with some Democrats is Medicare for All, or universal healthcare. In this Politico article, he says that he won't back any health care plan that requires people to give up their private health insurance: https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/22/moulton-democrats-health-care-1285096.

Moulton's reason for this stance is that he gets his own healthcare through the government-run VA system and, as he says, "it's not perfect." Therefore, he doesn't want to force people to get their healthcare through a government-run system.

To me, his comments on this issue kind of crystallize what turns many people off about him. He's made a big deal out of the fact that he's chosen to get his healthcare through the VA. He's used it as a campaigning point. Now he tries to use it as a wedge issue for himself against other Dems. He could take the stance: Government-run healthcare isn't perfect, but let's look at how it needs to improve. Instead, he essentially disses it and says other people shouldn't be forced to use it, while he continues to use it himself, for what seem to be largely political reasons?? :duh: I don't know, I just find it a bit frustrating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)