The Race for the 2020 POTUS elections

Peaches LaTour

Ratings
I wasn’t really aware of Smalwell before. A brief read of his Wikipedia (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Swalwell) suggests that he has probably accomplished more in Congress so far than Beto O’Rourke. He is 38 years old (just a year older than Buttigieg). he sounds all right and I’ll wait to hear more about him, especially where he stands on some specific issues.

But, LOL on his perceived “presidential bearing.” I suppose that has nothing to do with his chiseled good looks. :D
"Chiseled good looks"????? Gee, I hadn't even noticed. :D:D:D:biggrinbo:biggrinbo

ballettmaus

Ratings
Swalwell has been publicly saying how he'll assemble "a blended cabinet of Republicans and Democrats. Republicans plural."

Hard pass.
If he wouldn't choose any Republican who is currently in Congress or a state government that supports Trump, I'd be willing to give him a chance. But no Democrat should put any of those current spineless Republicans anywhere. They don't deserve that, not matter how much of a "good guy" they are privately. What they do publicly and for the people is what counts and that's nothing.

topaz

Ratings
If he wouldn't choose any Republican who is currently in Congress or a state government that supports Trump, I'd be willing to give him a chance. But no Democrat should put any of those current spineless Republicans anywhere. They don't deserve that, not matter how much of a "good guy" they are privately. What they do publicly and for the people is what counts and that's nothing.

But if they are republican than that means they support things, probably a majority of things I am not down with. I can't see any republican being progressive in their politics by today's standards.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Ratings
Swalwell impresses me nearly every time. Just watched his interview by Rachel.

It will be a tough choice between him and Harris in the CA primary. I like them both.

clairecloutier

Ratings
Swalwell has been publicly saying how he'll assemble "a blended cabinet of Republicans and Democrats. Republicans plural."

Hard pass.
I think there are probably very few national-level Republican politicians who aren’t complicit with the Trump regime in some way or another, who haven’t supported it in some way or voted with it on key measures or appointments. For Swalwell to say that strikes me as tone deaf and naive at best—cynical and vote-pandering at worst. Maybe he's just trying to get attention in the crowded field. There’s no article linked, so I’ll have to go look at what he actually said. But if it’s accurate, then yeah, PASS.

Last edited:

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
Ratings
I hope this is not too 'thread-drifty', to coin a term, as it has implications for anyone running for the presidential nomination: people imprisoned on false convictions. It should be an issue for anyone concerned with questions of justice, especially when there are increasing reports of these cases due to official misconduct. https://reason.com/blog/2019/04/10/more-than-20000-years-of-life-have-been

clairecloutier

Ratings
Here's an article on Swalwell that mentions his intention to include both Democrats and Republicans in his potential cabinet.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/04/08/eric-swalwell-presidential-announcement-california/

So far, he’s sold himself as a Democrat who can reach out to Republicans such as his parents, who have a Trump-Pence magnet on their fridge. Swalwell vowed in the interview to choose a female running mate if he became the nominee and said he would pick a “team of rivals” of both Democrats and Republicans for his cabinet to “help pull us out of the deep, dark hole this president has taken our country into, and work to make reforms to our democracy from day one.”
I don't know why he would expect any Republicans to be on board with "reforms to our democracy." Their general aim is to make our democracy less inclusive and representative.

Real reform to our democracy, such as getting rid of the Electoral College, expanding the Supreme Court, enacting comprehensive voting rights reform, and making significant changes to the Senate, is not something that most Republicans would get behind.

Although I'm not sure what type of "reforms to our democracy" Swalwell has in mind.

I do like his focus on gun control and some of his ideas about paying for college.

Last edited:

Vash01

Ratings
Here's an article on Smalwell that mentions his intention to include both Democrats and Republicans in his potential cabinet.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/04/08/eric-swalwell-presidential-announcement-california/

I don't know why he would expect any Republicans to be on board with "reforms to our democracy." Their general aim is to make our democracy less inclusive and representative.

Real reform to our democracy, such as getting rid of the Electoral College, expanding the Supreme Court, enacting comprehensive voting rights reform, and making significant changes to the Senate, is not something that most Republicans would get behind.

Although I'm not sure what type of "reforms to our democracy" Smalwell has in mind.

I do like his focus on gun control and some of his ideas about paying for college.
Sorry for being nit picky but his name is Swalwell. I saw you spell it Smalwell in this and another post. It may just be a typo, but if it is not, a correction is needed. I too have misspelled his name in the past and my mistake was worse than yours.

ITA about EC, Supreme Court, and other reforms. The Republican Party is dead. There is no one in it that puts country above the party anymore. That is why at this point I think we need 3-4 -5 strong parties. That could be the end of EC.

I like Swalwell’s ideas about gun control - make it the number one issue or it won’t get resolved.

I don’t know why he mentioned appointing some republicans to his cabinet. Even Mitt Romney has become like other republicans. Others that are not in congress anymore did the talk but never the walk when they were in it. Unless he recruits republicans who left their party this is not going to happen. He lost my vote when I read his plan about his mixed cabinet. Someone needs to ask him which republicans he had in mind, because I can’t think of even one right now.

Obama had this idea initially and it took him a while to realize that the republicans in his congress were never going to cooperate. What we are seeing is even worse.

attyfan

Ratings
A lot depends upon which Republicans Swalwell is thinking of appointing ... there may be some decent ones in a state legislature someplace that simply are not getting a lot of attention.

Vash01

Ratings
Last night on Rachel Maddow, Swalwell said (half joking, I think) - I have my search light on (paraphrasing). I took it to mean that he couldnt find any, but he will keep looking.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Ratings
Speaking of potential 2020 Presidential runs, my former Governor tweeted this about 30 minutes ago.

I think I have a pretty good sense of humor and can figure out jokes and memes right away, but I don’t get it. And I thought I was pretty knowledgeable about Virginia politics. :confused:

Please help me, fellow FSU PIers. I apologize if this is too obvious and I’m being too dumb to figure it out. :)
He has a crab obsession and doesn't like MD getting all the attention for crabs, but that's all I know when it comes to his affinity about crabs. There's still time to say no -- PLEASE DON'T RUN TERRY MCAULIFFE!!!! :scream:

ilovepaydays

Ratings
He has a crab obsession and doesn't like MD getting all the attention for crabs, but that's all I know when it comes to his affinity about crabs. There's still time to say no -- PLEASE DON'T RUN TERRY MCAULIFFE!!!! :scream:
1) UNACCEPTABLE! Now I have another reason to dislike McAuliffe! So what if Maryland is known for crabs? We have our oysters and that’s better - especially grilled or fried with lemon and hot sauce. Just sayin’! :D

Now that I’ve probably offended someone on here :lol:............

2) I found the answer to my question! :eek: :rolleyes: I’m pretty sure McAuliffe is running - and I’ll go to my bedroom and scream when he announces.

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
Ratings
A lot depends upon which Republicans Swalwell is thinking of appointing ... there may be some decent ones in a state legislature someplace that simply are not getting a lot of attention.
Most of the time, the newly-elected President doesn't just sweep through the House and Senate for their cabinet either. Someone could be a public servant and also a Republican and be appointed.

Meredith

what a glorious day!
Ratings
I was pleased with Swalwell's focus on gun reform. Others have danced around common sense gun control in the past but none have come out with this a major campaign issue as far as I can recall. It has been one of my major concerns for as long as I can remember!

Vash01

Ratings
Most of the time, the newly-elected President doesn't just sweep through the House and Senate for their cabinet either. Someone could be a public servant and also a Republican and be appointed.
I wonder who that could be? I can’t think of even one such person.

Vash01

Ratings
I am really sick of the media deciding who our president or nominee of a party should be. Mayor Pete gave a great speech the other day about the LGBT, but do we have to watch it and Pete vs Pence a million times? Please give the other candidates a chance to show what They have to offer.

The media are always looking for conflict. It is like a game to them. Trump tapped into this and pretty much hogged the TV time, which ultimately gave us this deplorable man as our president.

Last edited:

BittyBug

And the band played on
Ratings
The media are always looking for conflict. It is like a game to them. Trump tapped into this and pretty much hogged the TV time, which ultimately gave us this deplorable man as our president.
I blame Ted Turner. He founded CNN and the concept of 24x7 news coverage, and once broadcasters had to fill the time, they found a way to sensationalize news. And now with the internet and complete democracy of content production, broadcasters (and print news) just chase the latest headline or meme trying to grab eyeballs.

Vash01

Ratings
I posted this (a little differently) on Facebook. The bar should not be so low that anyone who is not Trump should become POTUS after the 2020 elections. Just OK is not OK.

The democrats must nominate the best possible candidate, who is not just electable but is also the most qualified to fix our damaged country and make it the best. The country deserves the best to become our next President.

The media must stop picking the nominee and the POTUS for us. Be fair to All candidates. Don’t just focus on one (non-Trump) to get their ratings. Think of the country first. Their actions in 2015-2016 gave us Trump. Everyone else, including most republicans were better than him.

The people must think in terms of the duties of a POTUS and not just vote for who they ‘like’ on a personal level. That thinking gave us GW Bush. Gore was more qualified.

If we don’t learn from history, it will repeat itself, in one form or another. I am afraid that the democrats and the MSM are going to screw up in 2020. Please prove me wrong.

clairecloutier

Ratings
A couple of interesting articles about the candidates:

"Liz was a diehard conservative"
https://www.politico.com/magazine/s...rofile-young-republican-2020-president-226613

This Politico Magazine article delves into Elizabeth Warren's evolution from one-time Republican to leftie Democrat. A good piece that, for me, answered some of the questions I had about this issue. It basically says that Warren's transformation started when she decided to study actual personal bankruptcy papers and cases. She expected to find that people filing bankruptcy were abusing the system; instead, she became convinced of the opposite. It went from there.

Is Pete Buttigieg a Transformational Candidate?
https://www.politico.com/magazine/s...rofile-young-republican-2020-president-226613

This Andrew Sullivan piece for New York magazine gets at exactly some of the qualities that first interested me in Buttigieg as a candidate. And it argues that he may be uniquely positioned to beat Trump. It's an interesting read.

I continue to really like Buttigieg as a candidate, despite the criticism in that earlier piece that I posted. I'll wait to hear more details of his policy proposals. But I liked his tweeted response today to Trump's cynical use of 9/11 footage to attack Ilhan Omar: https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/1116899901743484930

kwanette

Fetalized since 1998
Ratings
A couple of interesting articles about the candidates:

"Liz was a diehard conservative"

This Politico Magazine article delves into Elizabeth Warren's evolution from one-time Republican to leftie Democrat. A good piece that, for me, answered some of the questions I had about this issue. It basically says that Warren's transformation started when she decided to study actual personal bankruptcy papers and cases. She expected to find that people filing bankruptcy were abusing the system; instead, she became convinced of the opposite. It went from there.

Is Pete Buttigieg a Transformational Candidate?

This Andrew Sullivan piece for New York magazine gets at exactly some of the qualities that first interested me in Buttigieg as a candidate. And it argues that he may be uniquely positioned to beat Trump. It's an interesting read.

I continue to really like Buttigieg as a candidate, despite the criticism in that earlier piece that I posted. I'll wait to hear more details of his policy proposals. But I liked his tweeted response today to Trump's cynical use of 9/11 footage to attack Ilhan Omar: https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/1116899901743484930
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/04/is-pete-buttigieg-a-transformational-candidate.html Thanks, interesting read.

ballettmaus

Ratings
What I find interesting is that, at first, Buttigieg was the rock star and it seemed that he couldn't do anything wrong. Now, as he becomes a serious contender, the CNN headlines seem to get more negative.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)