The Race for the 2020 POTUS elections

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Warren was my favorite, but I don't really care as long as Mike Pence is not VP the next 4 years. My vote is the anti-Trump vote and has been the last 4 years. Go Biden/Harris.

She's going to make it hard for Trump to paint Biden/Harris as the anti-law and order slate.

IF the Senate can be turned, then it will make some interesting cabinet choices for some of the current senators.

Tony Wheeler

Harris wasn't my first choice, but I think it's been obvious Duckworth wasn't in the top tier for the last month. I don't really mind who it is because it isn't going to get me into tantrum mode nor refuse to vote, but here we go with people losing their shit over it already (not here, but social media-wise).

I mean, you either want 4 more years of Trump or you don't.

Louis

Private citizen
Excellent choice on Harris.

She's going to make it hard for Trump to paint Biden/Harris as the anti-law and order slate.

This x 100. I've always seen Harris as potentially unifying for a lot of reasons, this being one of them. She's the only candidate who can bridge the BLM wing of the party and the "law and order" union democrat wing of the party.

Vagabond

If Pence is actually around still!
Trump said earlier today that Biden's statement that he would pick a woman was an insult to men. Although I suppose it's possible that he could replace Pence with another man, it sounds like he has ruled out replacing him with Nikki Haley, who has been mentioned as the most likely alternative to Pence.

A debate between Haley and Harris, however, would be fascinating.

Tony Wheeler

Trump said earlier today that Biden's statement that he would pick a woman was an insult to men. Although I suppose it's possible that he could replace Pence with another man, it sounds like he has ruled out replacing him with Nikki Haley, who has been mentioned as the most likely alternative to Pence.

A debate between Haley and Harris, however, would be fascinating.

If Trump had better polling numbers at this point, I think he actually would've considered Haley as she's probably the one to watch for 2024. But now that it's really flipped in Biden's favor, I would guess Nikki would prefer to avoid being associated with this mess and just do it on her own next time around.

VGThuy

Both Biden's and Harris's erstwhile behaviour regarding the war on drugs will come under scrutiny, and deservedly so.

Which would be a double standard given the opposition party.

Anyway,

I'm already doing my part in trying to calm down my progressive friends. I just have to remind them about what happened in the primaries, and how the movement is NOT only about the presidential race and actually, that's not the be-all-to-end-all in actually getting actual long-lasting changes implemented. It requires a whole cultural shift and that needs to be done in the grassroots level. We can't be whiney and cry now because then NOTHING will get done. I have to basically remind them that the office of the Presidency is supposed to be a more moderate position because he/she represents the entire country which includes circles we may not want to step in no matter how deep we are in certain areas that can be described as far from progressive. Basically, this ticket is a floor and we need an actual floor to build off of, not a crumbling, sinking pit where we have to win back victories we won more than half a century ago. That does nothing but wastes everyone's time, and I don't know about them, but I'm getting old and tired and I don't have the time or patience to rebuild everything from scratch yet again over and over.

MacMadame

Staying at home
I'd have gone with Duckworth myself, but maybe Biden felt more comfortable with Harris.
Me too!

I'm very happy with Kamala with the VP pick. :cheer:

Warren was my pick during the primary process, but VP is not the right role for her.
I agree. I wanted her for President but I think she'd make an excellent Cabinet member.
It's funny how this ticket is NOT AT ALL what I hoped for over the past year and a half, yet I am surprisingly excited right now :cheer2:
I am too. And I wasn't expecting that.

Louis

Private citizen
@VGThuy, if it's any consolation, people like me will (begrudgingly) support this ticket because we know we're going to get two kooks in the Sanders/Warren mode in 2024 if it loses. (And if the ticket were Sanders/Warren in any order, I'd have pulled the lever for Trump with no regrets, c*vid death toll be damned.)

You may not get a candidate who is as liberal as you want, but you will get a lot of people supporting a ticket that's more liberal than they're comfortable with.

VGThuy

@VGThuy, if it's any consolation, people like me will (begrudgingly) support this ticket because we know we're going to get two kooks in the Sanders/Warren mode in 2024 if it loses. (And if the ticket were Sanders/Warren in any order, I'd have pulled the lever for Trump with no regrets, c*vid death toll be damned.)

You may not get a candidate who is as liberal as you want, but you will get a lot of people supporting a ticket that's more liberal than they're comfortable with.

Thank you for this post. This actually made me feel a lot better and Iā€™ll be using it on my friends.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
So do people think this is going to give Biden a boost in the polls over Trump? And will the convert those sitting on the fence to vote for Biden. Planet America had an interesting discussion about how a VP nomination can influence a campaign. It sounds like it is a really positive move for the Democrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information