The Race for the 2020 POTUS elections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobre

I like the idea of putting together a cabinet and selling it to the public. Even if it’s not a cabinet, it can be sold as a team who will help form policies under one united banner. Do it even before the convention and start branding it. He can sell a “dream team” and make a whole show of unity between all wings of the Dems. It may be a bit presumptuous but I think the fantasy around his admin and getting people talking about it will outweigh that presumptuous criticism.

I'm for the Dream Team. And unity.

Unity is good.

VGThuy

Now this is an interesting article:

This goes back to the idea that Trump’s attacks won’t work on Biden because people simply aren’t predisposed or aren’t open to seeing Biden the way Trump and his ilk want them to see him. This isn’t Hillary. Also, it’s hard for a Republican to criticize Biden for his gaffes when his opposition displays he can’t even speak English on the daily.

Now, they’re hoping they can move on and attack the female Veep pick, but I think getting the entire Dem party to show a unified front and make it look like Biden is picking a strong team and not just a single Veep choice may be a preemptive move to shield against the orchestrated attack the Republicans are preparing against the Veep pick whoever it is because it doesn’t matter. So long as it’s a woman and plus a woman of color, they think they have their strategy picked out to weaken Biden.

Last edited:

BittyBug

The missing ingredient
Ooh, as per the Warren Reddit forum, Harris has unfollowed Biden on her social media accounts.

Also...ooh...ooh...and OOH!
I love intrigue but Springfield, MA is closer to Hartford, CT than it is to Cambridge, MA, where Warren lives. Unless Warren was in the area for other business, like campaigning for Markey, which I don’t think she’s doing, it’s not an obvious tie to her.
Chris Murphy or someone like Ritchie Neal would be a more obvious candidate to be on that flight based on geography.

mrinalini

I love intrigue but Springfield, MA is closer to Hartford, CT than it is to Cambridge, MA, where Warren lives. Unless Warren was in the area for other business, like campaigning for Markey, which I don’t think she’s doing, it’s not an obvious tie to her.
Chris Murphy or someone like Ritchie Neal would be a more obvious candidate to be on that flight based on geography.
Yeah, I know, I was just being silly ;) - I don't really expect that she's got a chance in hell of being selected as VP.

Now that I think about it, we've got a perfect dark horse in Whitmer, too; I just can't believe that Biden would be willing to face the braying for his blood that'll accompany him if he doesn't choose a Black woman.

He's doing so well in the polls that he probably feels he doesn't have to cater to anyone but himself.

Vagabond

New National Poll: Biden 53%, Trump 40%
Georgetown University hired two pollsters to survey the political landscape together. One is Celinda Lake, a widely respected Democratic pollster. The other is Ed Goeas, a widely respected Republican pollster. By teaming up two pros from opposite ends of the spectrum, they got a poll that is probably as honest as one can get.

The poll found Joe Biden ahead of Donald Trump 53% to 40% among all likely voters, with only 7% undecided. Even if all the undecideds went for Trump, he would still lose badly. One subgroup is especially important. In the last poll (in Oct. 2019), white middle-class voters preferred Trump to a generic Democrat by 9 points. Now Biden leads Trump by 8 points. That's a 17-point swing away from Trump by a key demographic.
If Trump is at all calculating and not wholly impulsive, that last statistic shows how badly he has miscalculated.

Interestingly, Goeas says that Trump's "rock-solid base" makes up one third of voters. The other six or seven percent of voters that favor him might therefore end up voting for someone else or not voting at all.

MsZem

Cue everyone trying to figure out who's the VP based on the list.

With the exception of Wednesday, they're all in alphabetical order ;)

Vagabond

I would expect that anyone still under consideration for the second spot on the ticket is not on that list. But then again....

MsZem

BittyBug

The missing ingredient
I am pretty disappointed that Hakeem Jeffries is not listed as a speaker. He's such a brilliant orator, and he's a party leader. :mitchell:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Stacey Abrams is speaking now at The 19th Summit

The above link takes you to the schedule where you can register for Day 2 and get the livestream, which will be available for replay as well.

Vagabond

As a precaution, planners have scheduled speaking times for some top vice-presidential contenders in case they are not picked, including Gov. Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan and Senators Kamala Harris of California and Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts.
:unsure: I wonder whether Elena has been penciled in for a spot or has been throwing staplers again.

VGThuy

Featured List:

Michelle Obama closing on Monday, Tuesday = Jill Biden, then Barack Obama on Wednesday, and then Joe Biden closes Thursday. I think Biden's team is picking up on something. The more rational people, even if they don't know it, are subliminally or consciously comparing Trump's America with Obama's and realizing Obama's isn't so bad after-all, in fact some of them I bet think it was pretty nice now that we have something so horrific to compare it to.

Also,

"Seeing lots of comments that Susan Rice must be the VP pick since she’s not on this list. That’s ... not the way this works. The lineup is totally separate from the VP process. If the person Biden chooses is on this schedule, they’ll just fill that hole with something else."

Vagabond

What's trending is Andrew Yang's absence
Yang has never held public office, ran for President on extremely narrow platform, didn't do well in the primaries, and isn't a major leader in the Democratic Party. Why should he be on the list of speakers?

There are going to be at least two speakers of Asian ancestry: Senators Duckworth and Harris. It would, however, be good to have more.

CDANN1013

I have MSNBC on and Brian Williams announced that Biden has made his VP decision. The announcement could be made today

VGThuy

Yang has never held public office, ran for President on extremely narrow platform, didn't do well in the primaries, and isn't a major leader in the Democratic Party. Why should he be on the list of speakers?

There are going to be at least two speakers of Asian ancestry: Senators Duckworth and Harris. It would, however, be good to have more.

This is exactly what I'm saying. I was telling my husband I don't like Yang co-opting the AAPI underrepresentation talk because I can think of a long list of Asian-American Democrats that I think deserves a speaker spot over Yang. I think Yang's entitlement issues is tied to his inflated sense of self which is probably why he ran for President in the first place. I know I defended him up the wazoo and I still do as I think UBI is actually a great idea to at least consider and I think he's right about the future and technology and I didn't think some of the more popular and celebrated candidates in the Primary had any more meaningful experience than Yang. I just don't like how he seems to be like the only AAPI being spoken about, but I'm getting pushback from my Asian friends/colleagues who are truly angry right now.

VALuvsMKwan

Wandering Goy
This is exactly what I'm saying. I was telling my husband I don't like Yang co-opting the AAPI underrepresentation talk because I can think of a long list of Asian-American Democrats that I think deserves a speaker spot over Yang. I think Yang's entitlement issues is tied to his inflated sense of self which is probably why he ran for President in the first place. I know I defended him up the wazoo and I still do as I think UBI is actually a great idea to at least consider and I think he's right about the future and technology and I didn't think some of the more popular and celebrated candidates in the Primary had any more meaningful experience than Yang. I just don't like how he seems to be like the only AAPI being spoken about, but I'm getting pushback from my Asian friends/colleagues who are truly angry right now.

General question to all posting here - what is your timetable for running for office, considering how engaged and passionate your postings are? Don't you want to be the change you hope to see?

Vagabond

VGThuy

General question to all posting here - what is your timetable for running for office, considering how engaged and passionate your postings are? Don't you want to be the change you hope to see?

Since I was quoted, I've financially donated and support and have volunteered for AAPI and other POC candidates all over the country. I personally will never run for anything in my life. My point was that Yang isn't the only AAPI Democrat politician (far from it) and there have been a great number of them who have been doing work for a long time. They just didn't think to run for President on a limited platform and as an outsider, but it seems a lot of the mostly white Yang Gang are using the AAPI underrepresentation issue that I agree with but seems to be only applying it to Yang. It's like they only have eyes for him.

VALuvsMKwan

Wandering Goy
Since I was quoted, I've donated and support AAPI and other POC candidates all over the country. I personally will never run for anything in my life. My point was that Yang isn't the only AAPI candidate and there have been a great number of them who have been doing work for a long time. They just didn't think to run for President on a limited platform and as an outsider.

When I began my post, I was going to ask you specifically (hence your quote being used) - and then I decided to open my question to the several posters who might engage here.

Personally, I think that you would be a fine holder of any office you might seek.

VGThuy

At least the good news is that more AAPI are becoming Democrats, especially the younger generations.

To change the subject, I read this ridiculous piece by Bret Stephens on why Susan Rice was a diplomatic disaster. Do you think she's the choice they (conservatives/Republicans) are most afraid of?

Vagabond

I read this ridiculous piece by Bret Stephens on why Susan Rice was a diplomatic disaster. Do you think she's the choice they (conservatives/Republicans) are most afraid of?
Here's the piece:

It's not as if Susan Rice ever did anything that Condoleezza Rice wouldn't have done in the same situation and been defended for by conservatives. I'd say that they are most afraid of her because they (1) don't have anything on her that is likely to be very damaging and (2) know that she will wipe the floor with Mike Pence in their debate.

ETA: Also, Susan Rice comes without any of the law enforcement baggage that Harris and Demings do. If you think black women would be enthusiastic for Harris or Demings, I say they would be more enthusiastic for Susan Rice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information