The Race for the 2020 POTUS elections

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballettmaus

I just wish that he would pick someone already. I don’t even care who at this point. All of this drama and posing is just too much.
I don't remember who of the blue Twitter check marks suggested it but someone said that should Barr really have an "October Surprise" he should wait until then and then hijack the news cycle with his VP pick.

On the one hand, I think it's a brilliant plan. On the other, the way the media has been handling things over the past four years, I'm not entirely convinced it would work. Maybe it's just my feeling because of how bad things are but I feel that Democrats always have to share a news cycle whereas Trump and Co get them to themselves.

Vagabond

I swear she's done that. Maybe not so explicitly. But she has said mistakes were made under her watch and she has supported legislation that would stop some of those mistakes from happening again.
I think that you are mistaken. Do you have a link?

Here is an account of what Harris says she did, what others say she did, and what it is clear she actually did:
Ms. Harris has said that she learned of the crime-lab problems only when they became public, and has acknowledged that her office was too slow in putting a policy in place. Her aides had earlier been working toward a written policy, but Mr. Silard said he believed it had been delayed amid negotiations among several agencies. “The implication that she buried it is ridiculous,” he said, adding that she had initiated the review.

Gary Delagnes, then head of the police union, has a slightly different recollection. “She never pushed hard for it, and we were obviously happy about that,” he said. In the end, hundreds of cases related to the scandal were dismissed, and Ms. Harris’s aides rushed to institute a policy.[/URL]

There was no apology and no legistlation, only some attempt at a policy revision. Harris was under an ethical duty to disclose the exculpatory evidence, did not do so, and has never apologized to those whom she wrongfully prosecuted.

As the article says, this is but one example of where Harris has made questionable decisions and outright errors in judgment. She has no record of apologizing for them and has done little to undo the damage she has done.

(The article is also a good summary of her record as District Attorney and Attorney General.)

clairecloutier

I don't mind how long he's taking with the VP pick. What I mind is the vitriol around it. :rolleyes: I follow some Kamala-for-VP supporters on Twitter, and they spent weeks and weeks dragging Warren for being an overprivileged, insincere white progressive. Then they switched to dragging Susan Rice for all her perceived failings .....

FiveRinger

I don't mind how long he's taking with the VP pick. What I mind is the vitriol around it. :rolleyes: I follow some Kamala-for-VP supporters on Twitter, and they spent weeks and weeks dragging Warren for being an overprivileged, insincere white progressive. Then they switched to dragging Susan Rice for all her perceived failings .....
I think that the vitriol is part of what's on my nerves also. There's not going to be a candidate that everyone is completely happy with. Most of them don't excite me either. However, as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't serve any useful purpose for people in the same party to spend weeks and months tearing down potential candidates to the level of viciousness that they are. One of people is eventually going to be on the ticket, and, like it or not, we are going to have to make nice [with her] and support. That was part of Hillary's problem 4 years ago. Did we not learn anything? A divided party is one that will get chewed up and spit out come Nov 3. Republicans, as atrociously as they have behaved, came together and supported Trump well before the election, even the ones that originally were his opponents. In fact, they are the ones that crawled the farthest up his ass. He rewarded a number of them with jobs most of them are no longer holding, but that's another conversation. I'm not saying that Dems have to go to that extreme, but it's hard to even fake being cohesive when people are squabbling and badmouthing folks less than 3 months before the election. It's all too much to keep up with and completely unnecessary.

VGThuy

I think we're seeing the shortcomings of a two-party system. Having a party of consensus where one wing thinks one side is being unreasonable and childish and the other wing things the otherwise doesn't want this party to be a true opposition party is tough. The Republicans are actually going through the same thing, but they just lucked into the Presidency thanks to the electoral college and a few hundred votes here and a thousand or so votes there. Of course, the two-party system is here to stay unless we make huge changes, which won't happen.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Of course, the two-party system is here to stay unless we make huge changes, which won't happen.
According to game theory, we have to get rid of the Electoral College and its winner-takes-all approach or we will always have a two-party system.

VGThuy

According to game theory, we have to get rid of the Electoral College and its winner-takes-all approach or we will always have a two-party system.
Exactly! We will never get rid of it until we get rid of those. One is in the Constitution and has SAVED the Presidential election for one party twice within two decades, so that's never going to happen anytime soon and the other is just so much of a part of our fabric and philosophy.

FiveRinger

Exactly. In 2000 and in 2016 that same Electoral College is the only reason why the Republicans won the WH. And they are usually the ones screaming the loudest about it.

MsZem

I believe the correct way to introduce this subject is "it's time for some game theory" :D

Ya'll don't want an Israeli-style multiparty system, trust me. But maybe someone else has it better? New Zealand, perhaps?

MacMadame

Staying at home
Ya'll don't want an Israeli-style multiparty system, trust me.
Well there is that.

Plus so much else of our system wouldn't work if there were more than one viable party at the Federal level.

I don't know. I've decided that local is the way to go to make change anyway and there is plenty of room for other parties at the local level especially if many of the elections are non-partisan with no party stated for the various candidates.

VGThuy

I think this is true:

Republicans have no idea how to go after Biden because he's a white man, so they just keep going after the women. Incredible
They're waiting for his VP pick so they can do a Hillary on her. I do think many of them have been trying to go after Biden but nothing has been working the way they want it too. It's like he's the anti-Hillary haha.

caseyedwards

The fact that the republicans are all saying Biden has dementia isn’t working doesn’t mean there is no attack on Biden. It’s just not working. That’s because trump is mentally ill with dementia

olympic

This is all confounding.
I watched Whitmer in the Spring say no way to a VP slot.

I don’t know how true it could be that Harris would unfollow Biden. It sounds petty and even in this day and age something that just wouldn’t be done

mrinalini

This is all confounding.
I watched Whitmer in the Spring say no way to a VP slot.

I don’t know how true it could be that Harris would unfollow Biden. It sounds petty and even in this day and age something that just wouldn’t be done
I'm willing to bet my right hand that it will be Rice. Biden is marshalling the disparate factions for a show of unity when he announces.

ballettmaus

At this point, a part of me would love if the VP pick were someone no one had on any list, just for the heck of it, although, I really don't know who that could be.

ballettmaus

Ooh, as per the Warren Reddit forum, Harris has unfollowed Biden on her social media accounts.

Also...ooh...ooh...and OOH!
I've read speculation that he's putting his cabinet together while he's at it. On the one hand, I like the idea, on the other, I don't because it's counting chickens before they hatch.

mrinalini

Her personal account NEVER followed Biden. Her Senate account does, I believe.
I'm just going off of what I read on the Warren Reddit which has a number of posters that seem quite knowledgeable; one of them said that he/she heard the Senate Dem chatter is that the VP pick will NOT be Harris.

I'm inclined to agree; I never thought Harris was all that strong a front-runner to begin with as her record is just much too problematic to be excused.

Rice has been divesting her stock options and Obamaworld is pushing her HARD; looks like we will be getting a continuation of the Obama administration. Yay! Woohoo!

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
This is like trying to figure out who is going to leave Eteri by looking at IG likes:lol:

I saw one Twitter account note that a private plane had filed a flight plan from South Bend to Wilmington. For a hot second I thought my dreams were coming true. And Jason was winning Worlds in the next hot second.:biggrinbo

but a show of unity makes more sense;)

VGThuy

I like the idea of putting together a cabinet and selling it to the public. Even if it’s not a cabinet, it can be sold as a team who will help form policies under one united banner. Do it even before the convention and start branding it. He can sell a “dream team” and make a whole show of unity between all wings of the Dems. It may be a bit presumptuous but I think the fantasy around his admin and getting people talking about it will outweigh that presumptuous criticism.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I like the idea of putting together a cabinet and selling it to the public. Even if it’s not a cabinet, it can be sold as a team who will help form policies under one united banner. Do it even before the convention and start branding it. He can sell a “dream team” and make a whole show of unity between all wings of the Dems. It may be a bit presumptuous but I think the fantasy around his admin and getting people talking about it will outweigh that presumptuous criticism.
I think that is a very good point. It definitely be a point of difference from Tump who I can't think of any of his adminstration positions that have not had a turnover. Except for his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information