The Race for the 2020 POTUS elections

caseyedwards

And this editorial asks the GOP if sacrificing what they stand for in exchange for conservative justices will be worth it in the long run:

I think all the Abortion! voters should read this.
I don’t believe conservatives or prolifers would have been better served by a Clinton presidency or be better served by a Biden presidency. This person is saying “face if conservatives you always lose eventually because conservatives turn liberal like Souter or Roberts so don’t bother with this judge or abortion thing anymore!” It is an argument to admit defeat on abortion and move on.

Or it’s about forget courts change culture

MacMadame

Staying at home
It's an argument not to sell your soul and everything you stand for in order to get a short-term gain on a single point.

Vagabond

The GOP has already sold its soul, so there's not much point in cautionary arguments on the matter.

I'm being charitable here in ascribing a soul to it. :saint:

caseyedwards

If all republicans agreed to support Hillary in 2016 then they would have supported her appointing successor to Scalia. And maybe Kennedy too if he kept his retirement the same. Or RBG would have retired instead of Kennedy and Clinton would have appointed 2 and not Trump. All republicans should have been “that’s not good but republican voters need to be punished for picking trump and not Jeb Bush”

skateboy

I don’t believe conservatives or prolifers would have been better served by a Clinton presidency or be better served by a Biden presidency.
Call me crazy, but I think we all would have been better served by a Hillary Clinton presidency and will be better served by a Biden presidency.

ballettmaus

I don’t believe conservatives or prolifers would have been better served by a Clinton presidency or be better served by a Biden presidency.
Clinton would have done many things differently and it would be a bit too much to go into all of that, however, most recently, she would have had a national response to YKW. You don't think conservatives would have been served with a response that would likely have looked more like New Zealand or Germany?

VGThuy

Based on the way the polling is looking and the number of anti-Trump ads / endorsements, I do think those who thought it was a better strategy to pull in new voters v. trying to win over Republicans / never-Trumpers may have to eat their words :lol:.

Sadly, I think a less controversial nominee in 2016 (even Biden himself) could have prevented Trump altogether.

I'd go very safe on the VP pick.
We'll have to see if Biden actually wins, but I ate my words after the Michigan Primary after seeing what those Sanders in 2016 voters did in 2020. It's never actually about policy, is it?

caseyedwards

Call me crazy, but I think we all would have been better served by a Hillary Clinton presidency and will be better served by a Biden presidency.
Clinton would have done many things differently and it would be a bit too much to go into all of that, however, most recently, she would have had a national response to YKW. You don't think conservatives would have been served with a response that would likely have looked more like New Zealand or Germany?
Lol well I was just saying ideologically not Managerial competence! These people thought Bush did great with Katrina

easilydistracte

Geezette
I got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when I read the various stories about this announcement early this morning. Granted, I don't usually pay attention to the gentleman, but I'm aware that he was/maybe still is a Trump supporter. My immediate gut reaction was that Kanye West is doing this because he thinks his candidacy will siphon off votes that may have otherwise gone to Joe Biden, thus ensuring Trump's re-election. I'm hoping my fears are groundless.

ballettmaus

I got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when I read the various stories about this announcement early this morning. Granted, I don't usually pay attention to the gentleman, but I'm aware that he was/maybe still is a Trump supporter. My immediate gut reaction was that Kanye West is doing this because he thinks his candidacy will siphon off votes that may have otherwise gone to Joe Biden, thus ensuring Trump's re-election. I'm hoping my fears are groundless.
I'm certainly a pessimist but who would vote for a Trump ally instead of Biden/why would someone who'd vote for Biden vote for a Trump ally?

MacMadame

Staying at home
I'm certainly a pessimist but who would vote for a Trump ally instead of Biden/why would someone who'd vote for Biden vote for a Trump ally?
The idea is that Black folks who would vote for Biden will vote for Kanye instead because he's Black.

There may be some Black people who are less than thrilled with Biden who are looking for an alternative but somehow I don't think they'll be more excited by Kayne. They'd want someone with a great Civil Rights record, not some 1%er who loves Trump.

ballettmaus

The idea is that Black folks who would vote for Biden will vote for Kanye instead because he's Black.

There may be some Black people who are less than thrilled with Biden who are looking for an alternative but somehow I don't think they'll be more excited by Kayne. They'd want someone with a great Civil Rights record, not some 1%er who loves Trump.
I think to assume that Black folks will vote for another reality star just because he's Black is kind of offensive. If skin color mattered then they could have voted for two actual politicians who would have represented their interests and would have known what they were doing - Booker and Harris - in the primaries. They didn't.
Yes, there were a lot of voters who voted for Biden because they thought he was best positioned to beat Trump but if that's your priority then you won't for a third party candidate who has no chance whatsoever.

At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if the Trump campaign thought that Biden would lose Black support if Kanye ran and they made a deal with him.
Apparently, the FEC filing deadline has passed in eight states already, New York, New Jersey, Texas and North Carolina among them.

becca

It's an argument not to sell your soul and everything you stand for in order to get a short-term gain on a single point.
the argument was the lesser of two evils. I get the decisions in the general election if you dislike both why not pick the One you like the least: it wasnt just abortion wanting a conservative court.

I just didn’t get the Trump in the primaries. But apparently the polls showed that the Evangelicals who went Trump were the ones who didn’t go to Church the church goers split votes.....

But I couldnt bring myself to vote for Trump because I wasn’t convinced he could well run the country.

And yeah I thought picking him will be a disaster. Kanye for president makes as much sense.I mean he is pro life too why not? But as I tried to explain to mom I kind of need to know someone can run the country... crazy you know?

MacMadame

Staying at home
I think to assume that Black folks will vote for another reality star just because he's Black is kind of offensive.
And stupid.

But...

At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if the Trump campaign thought that Biden would lose Black support if Kanye ran and they made a deal with him.
It does seem like the sort of thought processes they might have.

I think it's more likely that Kayne is in need of attention.

ballettmaus

Just read a brief article about Duckworth and that she's been getting more attention from the Biden campaign. The article mentioned that Republicans are preparing for his VP candidate as they think she will be an easier target than Biden. Kind of makes me want Biden to choose her. Not only is she qualified, it would also sort of spoil Republicans' plans. :D

Japanfan

I think to assume that Black folks will vote for another reality star just because he's Black is kind of offensive.
Is that Kanye's assumption? If so, he's got one heck of an ego. However, the current POTUS seems to think a bigly ego is a good qualification for the job.

Tony Wheeler

Kanye very infamously went on TMZ a few years ago and said that since slavery was a thing for 400 years, it had to (at some point) be a choice that the black community was accepting. That didn't go over so well. He was also very pro-Trump at the time but had hinted that he wasn't anymore shortly after.

He still has a huge following that if he actually gets serious and files the paperwork to get this going, it'll be very interesting. I just can't figure out which side he's on now, because it does seem like he'd be taking voters from Biden. Or it's a grander scheme that actually pulls more voters to Biden in the end..

ballettmaus

He still has a huge following that if he actually gets serious and files the paperwork to get this going, it'll be very interesting.
Assuming all of his followers don't differentiate between politics and someone who they are a fan of and would vote for someone they're a fan of no matter their political qualifications.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
Now why would a Trump sycophant, who happens to be Black, suddenly announce he’s running, this late in the game? Can you say, “stalking horse”? Besides outsized ego, I see no other reason than an attempt to draw some of the Black vote away from Biden. Kanye has no chance of winning anywhere, and has he filed papers in any state? This is not a serious candidacy.

Vagabond

An April 2018 YouGov/Huffington Post poll, taken after West started publicly praising Trump, showed just 9 percent of Black adults and 13 percent of Democrats surveyed had a favorable opinion of West. That's compared with 20 percent of white adults and 34 percent of Republicans surveyed.
It is the Trump campaign that should be worried, not the Biden campaign, except that there has been no indication that West is even trying to get on the ballot in any state or even qualify as a write-in candidate where he would need to do that.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
He's too late to get on many state's ballots and would essentially have to file papers this week to get on the others as well as collect enough signatures.

ballettmaus

Recent trips of the Secretary of HHS just happened to be to swing states that are crucial for Trump's reelection but they're not states where the outbreak is necessarily bad at the moment. What a surprising coincidence. https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/02/azar-swing-states-trump-347830

Since late April, HHS Secretary Alex Azar has made 11 trips to states — including nine to key battlegrounds in the 2020 campaign: Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Maine and North Carolina, as well as two trips apiece to Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. One of the other two trips was a visit to Buffalo, N.Y., the hometown of a top aide who recently joined the department at Trump’s request and personally arranged Azar’s visit to the city. The other was to Boston, the media market for yet another battleground state, New Hampshire.

The health secretary’s agenda at these stops included visiting hospitals, announcing awards and pushing on a message that the president was steadily managing the crisis. Some of the trips were part of Azar’s “health vs. health” messaging campaign, where he argued that an overriding focus to contain the ******** was creating other risks to mental health and well-being.

Some of Azar’s trips were conducted jointly with the White House or closely scheduled, like Azar’s visit to Wisconsin health facilities last week that preceded Trump’s visit to the swing state the next day. Azar also accompanied Trump on a May 14 trip to Pennsylvania and a June 5 trip to Maine, and he joined Vice President Mike Pence for a trip to Wisconsin on April 21, as part of a series of trips where White House officials toured factories making ********-related supplies.

In media appearances that accompanied his trips, Azar also consistently touted an optimistic view of the ******** crisis, including for his recent visit to health facilities in Massachusetts — whose TV and radio stations broadcast into the populous Boston suburbs of southern New Hampshire, another battleground state.

BittyBug

Exemplifying model behavior
Grifters all. There’s not enough sage in the world to clear the air after they’re gone.

VGThuy

A former co-worker of mine just showed me some Lincoln Project ads, and after watching a few for the first time, I have to say I absolutely hate them. I think they're gross and smarmy and very low common denominator. But I guess there's an audience for that and it may work, right?

I think the Lincoln Project may be useful for this election (and maybe a positive sign of the direction of the Republican Party), but if those are their tactics, I think Dems need to be careful about relying on them and being bed fellows. I don't trust those people.

MsZem

A former co-worker of mine just showed me some Lincoln Project ads, and after watching a few for the first time, I have to say I absolutely hate them. I think they're gross and smarmy and very low common denominator. But I guess there's an audience for that and it may work, right?
You're definitely not the target audience for those.

In some cases the target audience is one person: Donald Trump. They try to provoke him into reactions that will make him look bad (well, worse than he already does). In other cases it's voters who have responded well to this kind of stuff in the past.

I think the Lincoln Project may be useful for this election (and maybe a positive sign of the direction of the Republican Party), but if those are their tactics, I think Dems need to be careful about relying on them and being bed fellows. I don't trust those people.
The Never Trumpers will probably go back to supporting at least some Republicans if they can get rid of the current Trumpy lot. But for now they're doing important work.

VGThuy

In some cases the target audience is one person: Donald Trump. They try to provoke him into reactions that will make him look bad (well, worse than he already does). In other cases it's voters who have responded well to this kind of stuff in the past.

The Never Trumpers will probably go back to supporting at least some Republicans if they can get rid of the current Trumpy lot. But for now they're doing important work.
That makes a lot more sense now.

caseyedwards

People like Sarah Palin and George W. Bush! Who they all loved and thought would make great presidents. Weird movement!

clairecloutier

Not sure which thread to put this in, so I'll just post here.

Massachusetts has just passed a law, signed by Gov. Baker, to allow mail-in voting for all (no excuse required) for both the September primary and November general election. :cheer2:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 18, Guests: 16)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information