The Race for the 2020 POTUS elections

MacMadame

My G.O.A.T is better than your G.O.A.T.
Staff member
Sanders has been heard 1000x over. Another debate won't change that.

Speaking of which, an interesting take on what tanked his candidacy:

I don't think I actually agree with much if any of it, and it is a long read. But maybe that's because I'm more like Sanders than Biden when it comes to the glad-handling stuff. :D I'd be interested in what other people think though.

VGThuy

I'm only responding because it seems people think the new allegations against Biden are "simple" unwanted touching, as if there is such a thing. What Tara Reade accused Biden of doing is pinning her against the wall, reaching under her skirt, and digitally penetrating her.

There's also a serious issue of a non-profit refusing to investigate her #MeToo allegations against him earlier because he was running for office, so she at first thought maybe it would be ok since she supported Elizabeth Warren and thought if Warren won the nomination, then Biden will become moot and she won't have to see him on television every day or have him be her President. Then she switched to Sanders once Warren's campaign wasn't gaining traction. Now she felt like telling her story after seeing people on the View dismiss the seriousness of the other women's allegations against Biden as if it was nothing and that they only came out because they were solely politically-motivated.

For those of you who complain about the TIMING, well, what do you think the Kavanaugh supporters were complaining about?

IMO, if these allegations have merit, then Biden should drop out the race and someone like Mayor Pete or another centrist that makes people happy can step in. I think sexual assault isn't a case of letting "perfect be the enemy of good" as all of us have lines we don't think candidates should cross. For me, sexual assault is one of them as is racism and homophobia. Of course, that is if you believe her allegations. If you don't, then you have no issue voting for Biden...though it becomes a question of why do you believe certain accusations or take them seriously before others.

I also think the Dem Party could possibly come out on top if they look like they dealt with it seriously with all of this on the line. I know people will bring up Franken, but a Presidential election is what most people pay attention to. I know people are scared this may undermine the strongest candidate we have to beat Trump, but we need to ask ourselves if we could live with ourselves supporting a candidate who's been accused of something like this, and if so, then what was with all the outrage against Trump and his pussy-grabbing comments since that is essentially what Biden is accused of doing.

I hope I addressed your questions @BlueRidge. If I haven't, then oh well. Nothing I can do about that, just like nothing I say will please @Vagabond or @Sparks because it's clear they were more angrier that I even brought this up in the first place, and one of them pretty much called me a troll for doing so.

I'm out of this thread. See you guys later.

MacMadame

Staff member
What Tara Reade accused Biden of doing is pinning her against the wall, reaching under her skirt, and digitally penetrating her.
I have been asking for details since this was brought up. It's hard to know how to react to something when there are no details. (And, no, asking people to listen to an entire interview that starts out with a lot of meandering, almost conspiracy-level, stuff is not reasonable.)

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I'm out of this thread. See you guys later.
If you don't want to have discussions, why post?

My recommendation to you is to leave PI if this is your attitude. You obviously don't feel comfortable with the people here.

I see no reason for that and I don't like the way you act here. It is not respectful.

You want people to listen to others and be respectful. Take your own advice.

And when I see information on this in a reputable news source rather than a random tweet. I'll consider it. I've seen nothing and twitter is a trash dump.

I find nothing from a reputable news source from Google. I do not see a reason why I should treat this differently than all other news. My rule is to look for reports in reputable news sources before spreading something. I will wait.

ETA: You know what we are in the middle of a *********, frightened anxious, confined to our houses and we didn't react right when one poster dropped a tweet of an accusation that she clearly wanted us to agree meant Joe Biden should leave the race that is to say on the basis of an incoherent tweet if we cared about women we aren't to have emotions while we are so on edge of not immediately being willing to say: whatever the consequences to the Democratic presidential chances we don't hesitate to be able to contemplate this disaster for Democrats in the middle of a terrible time. What I mean is if you can ask that of us based on a tweet and be so clear how bad we are if we don't do it without a thought for what people are dealing with. then wow that's what I mean about disrespectful.

And that's why people often aren't available for "justice seekers" because they approach these things like everyone they are speaking to have no legitimate emotions of their own and should always immediately have the reaction they think is called for regardless of what it requires of the others.

The point is that people aren't really that good of ignoring all their own emotions in good times and reacting just intellectually to what would be devastating information and in this case it wasn't even clear what the information was. So someone felt like the poster was trolling. Well again, hello, we are all on edge and anxious. How about giving some human consideration.

Last edited:

snoopy

As someone who has been called a troll, a trump supporter, and a secret republican, I feel the need to say that it was silly to call @VGThuy a troll. On the contrary, I find her incredibly sincere. We don't always agree here and we all take our licks when we are the odd man out. It happens, I think we just need to roll with it when we are in the majority or minority.

Vagabond

As someone who has been called a troll, a trump supporter, and a secret republican, I feel the need to say that it was silly to call @VGThuy a troll. On the contrary, I find her incredibly sincere. We don't always agree here and we all take our licks when we are the odd man out. It happens, I think we just need to roll with it when we are in the majority or minority.
I didn't call her a troll, I said she was on the verge of trolling. And I stand by that. Don't put words in my mouth.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
No it wasn't silly. It was wrong. I don't think she was trolling. But she dropped a hint of information from an unclear source and implied we should all accept it as true and then although she wouldn't say it for 24 hours, accept, if we are really pro-women, that Joe Biden would have to drop out of the race.

This in the midst of one of the biggest crises we have all been through, is asking us, after a bruising nomination fight in which most of us watched our favored candidates lose and finally accepted that Biden would be the nominee, to on a dime be emotionally prepared to accept information that that whole fight would be re-opened, with the catastrophic consequences that would probably have for the chances of any Democratic nominee.

I just don't think its surprising that one person was a little less than open to that demand and used a mean term like trolling.

I think it is absurdly unfeeling not to understand what is being asked of people to contemplate what would basically be painful, ugly, and very likely so damaging to what we all want to see--Donald Trump defeated, it was asking us to put aside all that for a tweet and the implication that if we cared about sexual abuse we would have no problem at all turning on a dime like that.

Sorry I think that having it suggested that one might be trolling is rather mild in this circumstance.

I'm NOT open to contemplating the emotional toll of all that without some very very serious evidence vetted by serious sources. And I don't apologize for that.

Last edited:

ballettmaus

No it wasn't silly. It was wrong. I don't think she was trolling. But she dropped a hint of information from an unclear source and implied we should all accept it as true and then although she wouldn't say it for 24 hours, accept, if we are really pro-women, that Joe Biden would have to drop out of the race.
And going by that logic, we couldn't nominate Sanders either, so, we'd be left without a nominee. Perfect :p

ETA: Rumor has it that Senator Cortez Masto is in the top three of Biden's choice for VP. I have to do some research on her. What do others think? https://news.yahoo.com/biden-reportedly-says-sen-catherine-215800022.html

Last edited:

MacMadame

Staff member
Told you it wouldn't be someone who ran for president. :D

I was hoping it was someone we had heard of though. There are so many great picks and I think picking someone people would be comfortable having as President is important too.

MacMadame

Staff member
Klobuchar and Harris are reportedly also on the list.
That's not really what the article says. It says Biden's business allies are "hoping" for those too. Lots of you are "hoping" too. ;)

I still say it won't be Klobuchar for sure. We'll see on Harris. But I'd be surprised.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
My recommendation to you is to leave PI if this is your attitude. You obviously don't feel comfortable with the people here.
I don't always feel comfortable here. For example, I'm uncomfortable when posters tell other posters to leave PI because they don't like their attitude. Even so, I take an interest in reading differing opinions. I don't believe everyone needs to defend their positions to nth degree to post or participate here. Sometimes when I become irritated, limiting the number of posts written is the best option.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
I don't know Cortez Masto, but she sounds intriguing. Particularly after all the "Joe can't appeal to the Latinx community", well, OK, we didn't mean that Latinx community that actually voted for him.

I don't like Amy personally. I don't like stapler throwing and she was unnecessarily snarky with Pete. I don't like it from the Bros and I don't like it from centrists.

I'm really not seeing Kamala. Jill Biden doesn't like her. Joe doesn't need to pick an African American VP to "reward" his AA base. And she'd do more good on SCOTUS.

Joe has said he wants someone ready to govern and someone who agrees with his policies. I have no reason to doubt that's what he will do.

Vagabond

I like the idea of the appointment of Kamala Harris to the Supreme Court. Then California would be a different Senator. :)

(And she might make a good Justice.)

ETA: Another possibility for that Supreme Court nomination would be Anita Hill. It would bring a lot of healing to the Democratic Party, though possibly not to the Court itself. :sneaky: :unsure:

Last edited:

skateboy

Rumor has it that Senator Cortez Masto is in the top three of Biden's choice for VP. I have to do some research on her. What do others think? https://news.yahoo.com/biden-reportedly-says-sen-catherine-215800022.html
I think there's a possibility that Biden's VP pick could actually become the president during his term, should he be elected. And I think that is in the back of many voter's minds.

Cortez Masto (who?) will have to come on damn strong to make a good impression. I'd feel comfortable with Kamala.

ballettmaus

That's not really what the article says. It says Biden's business allies are "hoping" for those too. Lots of you are "hoping" too. ;)
Uh? It says that according to sources Klobuchar, Harris, Demings and Governor Whitmer are also on the list. (And this isn't the first time Klobuchar's name has been floated although I really, really hope it's not going to be her. She's about as exciting as Biden is. To be honest, I'm rather underwhelmed with all of the choices at the moment. I don't know Whitmer, while I like her, I'm not sure I can see Demings as VP and Harris left me underwhelmed during the campaign. But if she were Biden's VP choice, she'd have a different campaign team, so there's a chance they'd be able to "sell" her better).

That said, I think that all of the VP options that are floating around are names that have been discussed as a possible VP choice at one point or another (I imagine that the conversations went something like: have you considered _______ as VP and Biden said, yes, she's on the list and there was a short discussion about strength and weaknesses etc) and they probably all have as much or as little a chance of getting the nomination at this point.

MacMadame

Staff member
Uh? It says that according to sources Klobuchar, Harris, Demings and Governor Whitmer are also on the list.
That's not what this article, which is what we were talking about. Demings and Whitmer aren't mentioned at all, in fact:

ballettmaus

That's not what this article, which is what we were talking about. Demings and Whitmer aren't mentioned at all, in fact:

The Newsweek link in my second post mentions them.

ballettmaus

Oh I thought that was a link about Cortez Masto
So did I which is why I clicked on it.

I saw two links headlines "Who is Cortez Masto" and both didn't mention more than that she was a civil attorney in Las Vegas and criminal prosecutor in DC before becoming Nevada's AG and then Senator. So, I'm not sure how much information there is out there. (But it was a quick look, so maybe (hopefully) there is more information out there and if not, I hope it will be soon. That said, those tiny bits make her sound rather inexperienced politically, so I'm not sure she'd be the right VP pick considering the circumstances. I get that/why we may not get Warren but I'd really like someone whose background is more along the lines of her rather than a former attorney/AG. Or, if not someone like Warren, someone who has more political experience. Experience as a lawyer/prosecutor just doesn't seem like the skill we need in the WH right now).

MacMadame

Staff member
So did I which is why I clicked on it.
I'd already Googled her.

I don't think "Uncle Joe" is going to pick someone who could be seen as a rival. This pick seems similar to what other Presidential candidates do.

ballettmaus

I'd already Googled her.

I don't think "Uncle Joe" is going to pick someone who could be seen as a rival. This pick seems similar to what other Presidential candidates do.
The Newsweek article says that Biden said that the most important thing about a VP is that they're prepared to become President the day after they're picked (it's a quote) but the question is, does he mean it or does he only say it because it sounds good?

Considering his age and what is currently going on in the world, I wish he means it and I hope he means it but I'm really not sure he does.

clairecloutier

If you don't want to have discussions, why post?

I see no reason for that and I don't like the way you act here. It is not respectful.

OMG. Who died and made you queen of PI and who should post here??

If you don’t like what @VGThuy has to say, then put her on ignore, but you have no right to tell her to not post here.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
OMG. Who died and made you queen of PI and who should post here??

If you don’t like what @VGThuy has to say, then put her on ignore, but you have no right to tell her to not post here.
Read what I responded to in her post. I was responded to the end of her post not her opinion. She was the one who was acting like she can't stand to post her and was leaving. I was responding to that. She was the one who was so upset that people responded to her post that she said she was out of the thread.

Give me a break and pay attention to what I was responding to. She was so unwilling to listen to others who she had upset that she said, "I'm out of here." That's why I suggested she leave PI.

She's done that kind of thing repeatedly where she is so upset with people's responses. I do think there's no point in posting here if that is how it makes you feel.

I'd appreciate if you would read what I posted and consider what I was actually saying.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I don't always feel comfortable here. For example, I'm uncomfortable when posters tell other posters to leave PI because they don't like their attitude. Even so, I take an interest in reading differing opinions. I don't believe everyone needs to defend their positions to nth degree to post or participate here. Sometimes when I become irritated, limiting the number of posts written is the best option.
Read my post above. VGThuy ended her post with a statement that the posts of others made her so uncomfortable she was out of this thread. She's clearly been very upset here for a long time.

I specifically quoted only that part of her post. She indicated her discomfort and need to leave.

And to be honest, I really did wonder why she was posting here when she is so uncomfortable with it. I've left for long periods of time myself when I wasn't finding it a place I wanted to be.

clairecloutier

@BlueRidge I did read it. This is not complicated. You told her to get out of PI. And you have no right to say that to anyone.

I remember when you yourself declared you weren’t going to post in this thread any more. No one followed up by telling you to get out or calling you disrespectful.

This is a forum and anyone has a right to say what they want, as long as forum moderators permit it. No one forum member has the right to tell any others to get out.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
@BlueRidge I did read it. This is not complicated. You told her to get out of PI. And you have no right to say that to anyone.

I remember when you yourself declared you weren’t going to post in this thread any more. No one followed up by telling you to get out or calling you disrespectful.

This is a forum and anyone has a right to say what they want, as long as forum moderators permit it. No one forum member has the right to tell any others to get out.
I suggested that she leave because she was uncomfortable.

I said I wasn't going to post in this thread as a marker for myself to get out. And go find that post and then look for my next one, it was something like six months.

I didn't tell her not to say what she was saying, I suggested that if she was so uncomfortable she should leave. If you want to read that as telling her to get out, I will say you are saying what you want to say for whatever reason you want to say it. And that's your right.

I'm out of mind right now honestly with perfection politics the ultimate implication of which is that we should all die by suicide because anything less will show how morally failed we are. I think VGThuy tortures herself with this kind of politics to be honest. No one can live up to such requirements of perfection. I can't live up to them in my posts, my votes or my life. I wish VGThuy would feel better about politics and not be so uncomfortable, I want to be able to be 100% and perfect especially on the MeToo stuff, but I can't take this torture, this impossibility.

This probably makes no sense but that's how I'm feeling.

snoopy

The suggestion VGThuy made was to swap out pete for joe. But the Bernie people would NEVER go for that. And if Bernie ended up the nominee under these circumstances, a lot of moderates would NEVER go for that. I wouldn’t. I would be EFFIN PISSED.

At the risk of everyone calling me names again :lol: , I’m someone who didn't support the removal of Kavanaugh or Franken. The left acts as if their sensibilities are the absolute truth, no better than fundamentalist Christians. I resent the insinuation we all have to buy into that religion and I wouldn’t support that mindset even if the opposition was trump.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 4)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information