The Race for the 2020 POTUS elections

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Well the Bernie people are keeping busy. They must be purchasing lists because they just texted me to tell me that M4A is the solution to the ******** and ask me if I'm all in for Bernie.

I responded: I support Joe Biden.

They responded back, "Have a nice day." :lol:

Last edited:

Louis

I admire your ability to be so single-mindedly focused on Biden in the midst of a national calamity and the largest global crisis since WWII.
Oh, come on, at least 50% of the content is still about Elizabeth Warren's superiority in everything. ;)

I'm really annoyed that it has to be a woman. I mean I get it, but I don't know.
I had a similar reaction when Biden first announced it, but my thoughts changed over the next 24 hours.

82(?) presidents and vice presidents. All male. There are so many qualified women -- including Elizabeth Warren. I'm sure there are people who will think "affirmative action," etc. And that's fine by me. Because these programs have a purpose, and situations where 82 / 82 have been men and 81 / 82 have been white is exactly that purpose. There's no perfect candidate. There are "binders full of women." It's time to look inside those friggin' binders and put a qualified woman on the ticket, affirmatively.

A woman VP will help change public perceptions about women in the highest office, which in turn will help the "Hillary in Michigan" wrong you identified, and make it easier for the next group of women who run for the presidency. Like many on this board, I wish we had a woman on top of the ticket (although the ones I liked were different than most). I will celebrate having a woman on the ticket, however she got there. I really, really hope I can celebrate having a woman in the White House, even if it's as VP.

Peaches LaTour

Yes. I think it's wonderful that it will be a woman, but just because she's a woman? I really think Beto O'Rourke could energize the Latino community, and get Texas more purple. Imagine if TX went Dem???? I think it will have to be Kamala Harris though. But I'd rather have a Prez O'Rourke than a Prez Harris...
A woman just because she's a woman?

Well, it could be a minority man just because he is a minority man. Take your pick.

Either way, "diversity" is the new necessity for the Democratic V.P., choice since, once again, the POTUS candidate will be an old, white man.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
I think Bernie could get a lot more support for his causes and his views if he gracefully withdrew. It would certainly impress me as the move of an elder statesman.

No more rallies with impassioned supporters. No rallies for the foreseeable future. I doubt there will be a convention in the form where his ardent supporters could give full throat to their desires. No one cares about the platform, certainly not now. In my view, each day that passes, he loses leverage and influence, but that’s me.

Supporters on Twitter seem to think they can revisit election results by hashtags about Joe. Fine. It doesn’t replace votes and it‘s not changing anyone’s mind.:unsure:

rhapsody

Bernie isn't gonna steal the nomination from Biden if he stays in so I don't see the problem. His signature ideas during this crisis (like him as a candidate or not) are wildly popular so it's nice to have him in the conversation. Bernie also dropping out isn't going to make anyone who disliked him automatically give him credit or respect or think his policies are suddenly good simply because he's not running anymore.

In the meantime, I'll continue posting these puppies:

I'll be voting for him in November because the alternative is a disaster but I don't know how people are finding themselves excited to vote for him.

ballettmaus

I'm really annoyed that it has to be a woman. I mean I get it, but I don't know. It feels like a booby prize and appeasement.
But at least, there are a number of qualified women to choose from. So yes, in a way, it's a consolation prize but the woman he chooses would (hopefully/likely) also be qualified for the job. I also think that the op-eds suggesting that men need to start advocating for a female President and support the possibility aren't wrong, so maybe this is how we need to start.

I think Bernie could get a lot more support for his causes and his views if he gracefully withdrew. It would certainly impress me as the move of an elder statesman.
He'd impress me a lot more if he actually didn't hold campaign rallies while votes are going on. Actions speak louder than words, unfortunatey, I'm seeing more words than action from Sanders. There are a lot of Democrats proposing bills right now and a lot of Representitives who work with Senators on bills and policies. More often than not, I see Warren's name but not Sanders'. What good are his words when he's not doing anything with them?

vvh.equ9art

Does anyone here follow Heather Cox Richardson? I think she's great. She's a professor of history at Boston College and she posts a letter every night on FB summing up the events of the day. She's also started doing video presentations. I watched one today where she talked about the electoral college, whether Trump can cancel the election and what the future might hold after the ****virus.
She calls herself non-partisan and says that she's looking at events from a historical perspective, but I bet she voted for Warren...

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Three A's, T&M, P&C
Biden was interviewed on Nicoll Wallace’s show this afternoon. At times he was quite emotional about people dying due to the mismanagent of the current admin. He told what he would have done. He said he is proud of Americans for doing what they can (paraphrasing)

VGThuy

What do you guys think of this?

Susan1

Ohio has until April 28th to turn in absentee ballots. The Lt. Gov. is not happy about the short time frame. I'll look into doing that tomorrow. I guess I'm going to have to buy stamps.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
@VGThuy I'm hesitant to call that "assault." (Are we talking about the shoulder rub and kiss on the back of the head?) Did it make her feel uncomfortable and weird? I have no doubt. I think most women have been in that situation, and know that it sucks. Biden needs to knock it off, if he hasn't already.

If there was more to it than that, please let me know.

MacMadame

My G.O.A.T is better than your G.O.A.T.
Staff member
Is there a transcript somewhere? Because I can only listen to so much as I'm working and it was long. The only thing said on her Twitter is that Biden put his hands on her shoulder and ran his fingers up and down her back. I would not call that assault. It's wrong, but not everything that is wrong is sexual assault.

Biden has already said he's sorry for these kinds of behaviors towards women and will cut it out. Time will tell if he does cut it out. (And if he's really sorry.)

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Is there a transcript somewhere? ...
Biden has already said he's sorry for these kinds of behaviors towards women and will cut it out. Time will tell if he does cut it out. (And if he's really sorry.)
In these days of cvid, I suspect it would be hard to replicate that behavior from six feet away. I think he will not be repeating it any time soon ;)

Vagabond

Except for those in states that still have a Democratic primary, we no longer have the luxury of considering whether an unwanted shoulder rub and kiss on the back of the neck is a reasonable basis for not voting for someone for President in November. Do you want Trump as President or not? If the answer is no, and assuming that Biden is the Democratic nominee, there is only one thing to do.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Biden's behavior was reported about and discussed and people went ahead and supported him. It seems kind of like with Elizabeth Warren's issue, I think, his explanations were accepted, rightly or wrongly and he went on to become the top vote getter in the primaries.

MacMadame

Staff member
It seems weird to be bringing it up again at this time unless there is new information. (That was why I was wondering what the entire interview said.)

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
The MAGA Mikes have been dropping memes (and the RedRose cultists are repeating them) about their characterization of Joe's interactions with women for months now, is this something new?

Plus I went into Katie Halper's timeline and she appears to rely heavily on Ryan Grim of the Intercept. I don't trust the Intercept, and I sure as heck don't trust Ryan Grim: if they told me the sun rose in the East, I'd look outside. About as reliable as Breitbart, IMO.

So bizarre to me to see these folks who identify as "Left" buying into right wing talking points.:confused:

VGThuy

To be honest, any unwanted touching I feel is assault/battery. Now the severity is a different question altogether. That said, I think if Trump did what Biden did after knowing what we know, we'd be giving him a hard time. I don't think Biden really deserves a free pass and I wish he could acknowledge it, but I know smart politics say he should ignore it. I do think we sort of lose a moral high ground here. I mean I think we still have one because what Trump and others have done may be worse, but I don't know, I don't like how quickly it's being dismissed, and I do think some on the right have a point about our blind spots.

MacMadame

Staff member
Biden already acknowledged it.
Yes, he acknowledged it, said he was sorry he made women uncomfortable, that he never meant to, and he would examine his behavior and do better in the future.

That's a paraphrase but pretty close to his actual words IIRC. And there haven't been complaints since then so I think he has examined his behavior and is doing better.

I really think this is all we can ask of anyone when it comes to this sort of stuff. By that, I mean doing things that were once socially acceptable, but now aren't, and weren't against the law.

If someone's behavior rises to being illegal, they should be prosecuted.

And if they don't apologize or do some sort of fake apology, then they deserve to have negative consequences such as losing their following or even their job, as appropriate to the circumstances.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Biden already acknowledged it.
Yes this was all brought to light, reported, discussed, and Biden addressed it acknowledged it apologized for it and said he would not do it in the future.

Is it that some people now think he should be forced out of the race because of it? Voters were informed when they voted.

I'm not for giving this kind of behavior a pass, but I felt like it was dealt with to the satisfaction of a majority of voters. It was not swept under the rug in anyway or excused. Biden addressed it acknowledged he should not have behaved that way and apologized.

Vagabond

Many women have said that Trump did far worse things than Biden did, including some who said Trump did such things during his campaign. Why anyone would state this as a hypothetical while posting old Tweets about Biden eludes me.

Wyliefan

Trying to appease the skategods
Conservatives said for years that it was creepy and Biden needed to cut it out. And no matter how self-interested their motives, they were correct. Unfortunately, they've now handed over their movement to a leader who's 10,000 times creepier. So they now have zero standing to criticize.

(But let's face it, it would have been a good idea for the left to pay attention to this stuff years ago. I say this as a caring friend and someone who sincerely hopes you burn my ex-party to the ground -- the left sucks at holding its people accountable. You ignore their bad behavior for years and years, and then it comes back to bite you. So, as respectfully and caringly as I can say it -- stop doing that!)

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I don't think that a party that forced a popular Senator to resign due to grabbing women inappropriately is really failing.

For another example, John Conyers was revered by the party but when sexual harassment came to light he was done as far as the party was concerned.

If we are going to blame the Dems for how they handled Clinton THIRTY years ago, well yes then. But really I don't think many are given a pass now.

And Biden was confronted and this was extensively dealt with.

We're being played here and it will happen again and again over the months, the "if you aren't perfect" how can you say anything about others attempt to mess with people's heads.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 1)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information