The Race for the 2020 POTUS elections

Japanfan

Ratings
I was hoping there would be at least a week break before the talk of next election, amazing endurance you guys have to tolerate election ads and campaigns.
American politics is a sport, and not one for the faint-hearted.

My husbands watches way too much American news, and emits many cheers and boos in the process.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Ratings
The Guardian reports:

New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand says she will give “long, hard thought” to running for president in 2020.

Gillibrand’s comments on Stephen Colbert’s “Late Show” that she was considering a run, just days after being re-elected to the Senate, came with an opening campaign pitch of sorts where she said she felt compelled to right the “moral compass” of the country after the damage done by Donald Trump.
In other words, she's running.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Ratings
The Guardian reports:

In other words, she's running.
I don't know her at all. Not sure why her name is being mentioned (not just by you).

On another note, I am afraid that the MSM will repeat its mistakes and help Trump win, by covering every event, every word by him, while ignoring the democratic candidates.

One candidate they cannot ignore is Oprah. She is not my first preference though.

oleada

Ratings
I don't know her at all. Not sure why her name is being mentioned (not just by you).

On another note, I am afraid that the MSM will repeat its mistakes and help Trump win, by covering every event, every word by him, while ignoring the democratic candidates.

One candidate they cannot ignore is Oprah. She is not my first preference though.
I’m surprised you have not heard of her because she’s been very outspoken about Trump; and has voted against his nominees more often than any other senator. She’s been a NY senator since 2009 and a House Rep for upstate NY before then. She was more conservative Democrat as a Rep but has become progressively more and more liberal as a Senator.

She’s my senator and I like her a lot and would vote for her. I think she’s intelligent, likable and would be a good candidate. However, I worry she would be associated too much with Hillary; and could be seen as an “East Coast Liberal” (even if not from a liberal area).

snoopy

Ratings
I'm not sure she is a great foil for the current administration. While Amy Klobuchar has that whole mom thing going on. How are people going to feel when Trump goes after your mom? They are going to feel protective.

snoopy

Ratings
Zzzzzz. Someone is always looking for biases. Yes, lets pretend there isn't such a thing as momish, or soccer mom, or mom jeans. Or how about granny hair. :p

ballettmaus

Ratings
Sophisticated is not the word that comes to mind when I think of Gillibrand. I find her very next-door neighbor. She also seems very quiet compared to some other Senators, like Harris.

jeffisjeff

Ratings
Zzzzzz. Someone is always looking for biases. Yes, lets pretend there isn't such a thing as momish, or soccer mom, or mom jeans. Or how about granny hair. :p
I am not pretending anything, I am calling you out for believing that one woman is a better candidate than another based entirely on how they look. That may be zzzzz to you, but to me it is :( .

snoopy

Ratings
Was the kool-aid mom only a Midwestern thing? :lol: The house where all the kids went when we took a break from kick ball.

How about if I say Klobuchar has a aw shucks Midwestern appeal. Not a coastal elitist.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Ratings
Is that really what people want in a presidential candidate? aw shucks?

Adding a question @snoopy is that what you want, or are you making an assumption it is what some particular voters the Dems need to win want?

Since I live in a place that is unique, I don't have a sense of how people across the country decide their votes, at least not from real world experience. I figure I can't project who will do well so I just go for who I like and wait and see who the voters choose.

Last edited:

snoopy

Ratings
I think that Klobuchar is a harder target for trump to insult than Gillibrand. And her “niceness” compares favorably to trumps meanness. As I said, I think she is a good foil for trump and so would get more votes than Gillibrand.

Peaches LaTour

Ratings
2020 is not the time for a woman to back away from a POTUS candidacy.

Now, more than ever before, women need to step up to the plate.

For those of you who doubt a woman can't go up against Trump & win, I say one thing: Hillary Clinton already did.

overedge

crying in the TSL bathroom
Ratings
Patty Murray (senator from Washington state) ran her first campaign in 1992 as a "soccer mom in tennis shoes" - which she was at the time - and she's been re-elected ever since.

oleada

Ratings
Was the kool-aid mom only a Midwestern thing? :lol: The house where all the kids went when we took a break from kick ball.

How about if I say Klobuchar has a aw shucks Midwestern appeal. Not a coastal elitist.

Sorry, not to pick on you but I HATE HATE HATE this "coastal elitist" crap, as if Americans who live in big (liberal) cities are somehow lesser or don't face sociopolitical issues of their own or if our issues aren't valid. It drives me completely insane.

topaz

Ratings
I really do not want Elizabeth Warren and Kamala Harris to run for the POTUS. Why? Because we need them in the senate especially Kamala Harris. Per her background we need her to ask the hard/good questions on the committee.

topaz

Ratings
I don't know who will be the democratic party's nominee. I hope they do not chose anymore elderly persons nor centrist/moderate democrats. That's not to energize voters. There have to promote and believe in progressive issues if they want to energize voters who would not normally vote because they fell their vote does not matter.

I"m not a fan of Cory Booker, Tim Kaine and other centrist democrats. Biden is too old in my opinion.

Bernie is too old too.

Beto O'Roarke may decide to run. Maybe Ben Jealous or Zephyr Teachout could run. I am hoping it's a fresh face. I want someone to pledge to not to take corporation donor money, the wants medicare for all, minimum wage increase. Declassifying marijuana on a federal level and etc.

I really think Tulsi Gabbard - HI will run.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)