The Race for the 2020 POTUS elections

Frau Muller

Everything is beautiful at the ballet!
Dear FSU,
Despite her sweet, figure-skating friendly Spanish name, sucky Elena Klobuchar cannot name the president of Mexico.

- este mensaje traído a usted por el futuro presidente de los Estados Unidos Pedro Buttigieg.
...o Bernardo Sandero, a.k.a. “Bernardo el Loco”

FunnyBut

I early voted too, for Biden, since he is very close to Sanders in TX polls, and I’d love to have my vote count for something for a change. I told two disinterested buddies that I’d take them to the polls and then out to our favorite restaurant if they’d vote for Biden, too. I may not have Bloomberg’s billions, but dammit I’m getting with the times and buying my own little piece of this election! :bribe::skandal:bribe:

Sorry I didn’t vote for you, Pete, you were my #1 choice but polling at only 8% in TX. I hope you get a cabinet position or something else way better than Mayor of Insignificant Rust Belt City.

Louis

This is really noteworthy, a diagram that demonstrates that Warren has the most overlap with supporters of other candidates...i.e. actually the unity candidate she says she is: https://twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/1232697179740999684?s=20
Yet she is terribly unlikable, only polling at 15-25% in her own state, and isn't on track to win anything. I also think she will run out of money, super PAC or not, after Super Tuesday. Her supporters are even more stubborn than Hillary supporters in refusing to admit that people just don't like her and aren't going to like even if she churns out seven "policies" a day.

I don't think Warren has any argument to get other candidates to rally around her v. another candidate as the Sanders alternative, and no argument even if we go to a brokered convention where Sanders has a weak plurality because other "unity" candidates will have more votes and more delegates.

That said, I tend to agree with you that, based on current polling, Sanders is likely going to go in to the convention with a pretty good plurality and a good distance between him and the next best candidate. He has big leads in big states, and no one will have ability to catch him. So.... go Trump?

Peaches LaTour

I early voted too, for Biden, since he is very close to Sanders in TX polls, and I’d love to have my vote count for something for a change. I told two disinterested buddies that I’d take them to the polls and then out to our favorite restaurant if they’d vote for Biden, too. I may not have Bloomberg’s billions, but dammit I’m getting with the times and buying my own little piece of this election! :bribe::skandal:bribe:

Sorry I didn’t vote for you, Pete, you were my #1 choice but polling at only 8% in TX. I hope you get a cabinet position or something else way better than Mayor of Insignificant Rust Belt City.
Excuse me but South Bend is not an insignificant rust belt city, dipshit.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
You can always tell it's another normal day in PI when the "woke" people in the coastal and big states make it a point to demean and dismiss a city of Midwesterners.

FunnyBut

You can always tell it's another normal day in PI when the "woke" people in the coastal and big states make it a point to demean and dismiss a city of Midwesterners.
I’m glad we have PI, a place where we can discuss politics a far more personal and heated topic than figure skating. But given the snarky nature of FSU, if you can’t come here with a bit of a thick skin and a sense of humor, without resorting to personal name calling like ‘dipshit’, this probably isn’t a good fit. It goes without saying that South Bend and every small town is important. But it’s also fair to argue compared to US senators , VPs and a mayor of one of the largest cities in the world, being the mayor of SB is a relatively small job (just as the mayor of my own city is). Amy pointedly and very effectively attacked Pete with this in the NH debate as well, I agreed with her that it was fair game. You can bet if Pete is the nominee this lack of experience will be front and center for the Republicans.

FWIW, my own city, Plano, TX is a bit more than twice the size of South Bend. I’d be beyond flabbergasted if my mayor thought he should run for President. But it’d be a hoot if you called my town a ‘ flat stepford wives suburban Texas Republican wasteland’, but I apologize if you were offended.

Last edited:

FunnyBut

Because after electing Trump, they have really have a leg to stand on. :shuffle:
Agree with you, but now Trump has been President for almost four years, albeit awful ones. He now goes in against the Democratic challenger as the incumbent, having held the biggest job in the country. This lies in stark contrast to the mayor of a lovely but relatively quaint heartland town.

ballettmaus

Agree with you, but now Trump has been President for almost four years, albeit awful ones. He now goes in against the Democratic challenger as the incumbent, having held the biggest job in the country. This lies in stark contrast to the mayor of a lovely but relatively quaint heartland town.
Yeah, I can see how much experience Trump has and has gained every single day. Just ask him about anything. He'll impress you with his vast knowledge, like he did during the press conference today. :saint:

Vagabond

Speaking, as we were, of whether Elizabeth Warren is likable, FiveThirtyEight has a piece that discusses, among other things, the Democratic candidates' favorability ratings among likely primary voters. Warren's post-debate favorability rating is 59.8%, which puts her behind Sanders and Biden but ahead of Buttigieg, Klobuchar, and the Billionaire Boys' Club.

So there! :p

Last edited:

MacMadame

My G.O.A.T is better than your G.O.A.T.
Staff member
You can :rofl: all you like but South Bend is a significant city in Indiana. I wouldn't call it a major city but it's not insignificant either. It's one of those cities in the middle -- big enough that people outside of the area may have heard of it and big enough to have big-city problems but not a major city that everyone has heard of like NYC or San Francisco.

Now Richmond, IN where I went to college is definitely an insignificant rust belt city.

This is not to say I think Buttigieg has enough experience to be President. I do not. But I'd think about pretty much any major of any city including Bloomberg.

FunnyBut

You can :rofl: all you like but South Bend is a significant city in Indiana. I wouldn't call it a major city but it's not insignificant either. It's one of those cities in the middle -- big enough that people outside of the area may have heard of it and big enough to have big-city problems but not a major city that everyone has heard of like NYC or San Francisco.

Now Richmond, IN where I went to college is definitely an insignificant rust belt city.

This is not to say I think Buttigieg has enough experience to be President. I do not. But I'd think about pretty much any major of any city including Bloomberg.
For what it’s worth, the :rofl: was in response to being called a dipshit, which I find quite juvenile and funny on an adult board, don’t think I’ve been called that since I was seven, so I laughed. It was not concerning South Bend, which I have visited, and I agree with you on the about its relative recognizability. But while I think SB’s size and Pete’s overall experience are liabilities, I’d still vote for him. Everyone has some liabilities, up to the individual voter to decide if it’s a dealbreaker.

Last edited:

ballettmaus

Seth Meyers is suggesting Bloomberg just offer Trump the money he plans to spend on the/any campaign to get him to resign - I mean... it's Trump. It's worth a try. :saint:

VGThuy

Dems need to be careful to not dismiss this:

They obviously see an opening to turn enough away to make a difference in these key states and Dems are being accused by some for taking these votes for granted. Different situation, but we don’t want to see a future turn out with black voters like how Republicans found a way through the firewall states in the Midwest nor do we want to be the party that loses the confidence of black and other POC voters.

topaz

Thanks to all for their prayers and well wishes.
Miller is one of the top employers in Milwaukee. This effects so many folks within Milwaukee.

The victims and the shooter names have not been mentioned, so I don't know if I know any of the victims. It's so sad and wasteful. Five People went to work this morning, to make a living and will not be returning home to their love ones.

We have to fight gun violence on all fronts. So many people are depressed or experiencing mental illness that they feel they have to commit suicide by these methods and destroy others with their anger.

It's been rough two weeks for Milwaukee. Two weeks ago, a mother and her two children were murdered by the mom's ex boyfriend brutally. The mom and the murder's 21 month old son died from viral bronchitis which it appears the father was negligent in the baby's death. The mom and two young girls(4 and 5) were murdered in the early morning hours the day after the funeral of the baby.

mrinalini

Eff off, Berner!

The way she shut him down and highlighted Sanders' hypocrisy is just :love:. Why, why, WHY can't this woman be President?!

snoopy

The policies republicans use to reach out to black voters are probably not the same ones you’d want Democrat’s to use. As people always note, no group is a monolith. Republicans not going to be pitching M4A and reparations but capitalism, the importance of private industry and a good economy.

They obviously see an opening to turn enough away to make a difference in these key states and Dems are being accused by some for taking these votes for granted. Different situation, but we don’t want to see a future turn out with black voters like how Republicans found a way through the firewall states in the Midwest nor do we want to be the party that loses the confidence of black and other POC voters.

Last edited:

topaz

"Black Voices for Trump" opened an office in Milwaukee, in a predominantly African American neighborhood a few weeks and they plan to opening more within Wisconsin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information