The Race for the 2020 POTUS elections

Louis

Various thoughts:
1) Government can and should run a lot like a business -- digital first, simple processes, quick redeployment of resources to changing priorities, customer focus, waste minimization programs, SLAs, etc. Most US governments run completely opposite to this. This isn't to say that I love billionaires and CEOs running for president, but it is relevant experience. The UK government is quite innovative and digital compared to the US; it operates better and more smoothly than a lot of businesses!

2) Why does Election Day need to be a national holiday? Do what various European and other countries do, and move elections to Sundays and/or greatly expand postal voting. Problem solved. No holiday needed.

3) I'm glad Schultz does not believe in what the Democratic party stands for. I don't either, despite voting for them the vast majority of the time.

4) I don't like Cory Booker or find him at all inspirational, but I'm glad he was for school choice. Anyone who comes from a place like Newark or North Philadelphia knows that school choice is worthwhile if it saves one child from the truly horrific, unimaginable schools there. Yes, it's only good for children whose parents or guardians care, but it is really worse to have some winners than all losers? I for one can't look those parents and students in the eyes and say "wait until we have a better solution." They need to go to school now, not later.

5) Kamala Harris's record makes me like her more. Democrats are notoriously light on crime and (IMO) disrespectful of law and order and those who favor law and order. Whatever she loses in the Black community, she can more than make up for among the people who think everyone should follow the rules and face punishment if they don't. I suspect there are more "law and order" potential Democrats or disillusioned Democrats than people realize.

6) Elizabeth Warren has not apologized nearly enough. If she showed some humility and stopped trying to be a show-off, maybe people wouldn't hate her as much. The Native American nonsense is an issue because she has never apologized for it, and has continued to use it as a publicity stunt that propagates her lies and fake news.

7) Klobuchar is my choice, too, which is probably the kiss of death. :lol:

Anyway, maybe loosening up on the "purity tests" might bring more Democratic voters into the fold, or make voters who were reluctant in the last election or several elections more enthusiastic.

VGThuy

Various thoughts:
5) Kamala Harris's record makes me like her more. Democrats are notoriously light on crime and (IMO) disrespectful of law and order and those who favor law and order. Whatever she loses in the Black community, she can more than make up for among the people who think everyone should follow the rules and face punishment if they don't. I suspect there are more "law and order" potential Democrats or disillusioned Democrats than people realize.
No they are not. Nobody runs for office can succeed in being "light on crime". Maybe we have different standards here but I think everyone in this country acquiesces way too much to law enforcement and acts like their shit don't stink. You can't even critique the system or point of inequity without someone thinking you are pro-criminal or HATE law enforcement. I don't know how anybody could read that NY Times piece about some of her egregious actions as a prosecutor and think "yeah, the system is working just fine for everyone."

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Cory Booker’s 2020 policy agenda: ‘Baby bonds,’ criminal justice reform, action on climate change (Washington Post)

Baby bonds. As first reported by Vox in October 2018, Booker is proposing “baby bonds” to give each child in the United States a savings account with $1,000. The account would grow in size every year, depending on the income of the child’s family, to as much as $50,000. ...One estimate from Columbia University researcher Naomi Zewde found that baby bonds would come close to wiping out the racial wealth gap, in part by increasing the assets held by young people across the board.

Array of sweeping criminal justice proposals.The senator has introduced at least 10 separate bills regarding criminal justice, including legislation intended to end the prohibition on marijuana; reduce discrimination in the hiring of former convicts; bring transparency and data to police shootings; and improve funding for the offices of public defenders, who are often overworked and underfunded.

Monopoly power. Booker’s office has also released multiple proposals aimed at combating what they call the rising consolidation of various industries in the hands of a few companies. Booker introduced one anti-merger bill that would impose a moratorium on mergers of large grocery companies and farms. In 2017, the senator spoke on the need for antitrust action against Google.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Mike Moore is getting on my nerves these days. He wants the US to lower the minimum age for President even more. Right now it is 35. He wants Alexandria OCasio Cortez to run. She just got elected senator, for heaven's sake. Give her sime time to kearn about governing. He said people dont care anymore if a candidate is a democrat or republican. I was not particularly impressed with his movie 11/9. He clearly wants younger people in politics, which is a great thing but shouldnt they grow up first before taking on a major responsibility like POTUS?

However We have a five year old running (ruining?) the country right now. How can a 28 year old or an 18 year old be worse?

Last edited:

skatingguy

Golden Team
Mike Myers is getting on my nerves these days.
The actor?

He wants the US to lower the minimum age for President even more. Right now it is 35. He wants Alexandria OCasio Cortez to run. She just got elected senator, for heaven's sake. Give her sime time to kearn about governing. He said people dont care anymore if a candidate is a democrat or republican. I was not particularly impressed with his movie 11/9. He clearly wants younger people in politics, which is a great thing but shouldnt they grow up first before taking on a major responsibility like POTUS?

However We have a five year old running (ruining?) the country right now. How can a 28 year old or an 18 year old be worse?
Ocasio Cortez is a member of the House of Representatives not a Senator.

olympic

Anyone notice how quickly the Republican machine and / or the Trump people went after Cory Booker? I think they are afraid of him more than any of the others.

ballettmaus

I was under the same impression after Harris announced, so I'm not sure how much is depending on perception/what we look at. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if Booker and Harris are going to end up as the front runners, so both impressions could be true.

In the meantime, the Russians are promoting Tulsi Gabbard. Sounds like they might view her as the weakest candidate/Trump's best chance to be re-elected. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/russia-s-propaganda-machine-discovers-2020-democratic-candidate-tulsi-gabbard-n964261

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
I was under the same impression after Harris announced, so I'm not sure how much is depending on perception/what we look at. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if Booker and Harris are going to end up as the front runners, so both impressions could be true.

In the meantime, the Russians are promoting Tulsi Gabbard. Sounds like they might view her as the weakest candidate/Trump's best chance to be re-elected. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/russia-s-propaganda-machine-discovers-2020-democratic-candidate-tulsi-gabbard-n964261
Trump was praising Harris but attacking Warren, so he must not be thinking of Harris as a threat.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
There is a huge stack of oppo.research on Sanders they assembled but did not use last time.

As for Warren, Trump appears to feel the Pocohontas thing did the trick of discrediting her?

FiveRinger

In January Politico published an article about the Democrats Trump fears most

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/15/trump-democrats-2020-election-340623

Back then Biden was mentioned as the Democrat Trump should fear the most. People around him don`t seem that worried about Sanders or Warren, at least according to this article.
This article is a year old. It mentions Oprah. The landscape has changed. But Trump is so narcissistic that he really thinks he's invincible.

skatingguy

Golden Team
There is a huge stack of oppo.research on Sanders they assembled but did not use last time.

As for Warren, Trump appears to feel the Pocohontas thing did the trick of discrediting her?
I don't think the Pocahontas thing changed how people felt about Warren, I think the DNA test and the way that it came across - it looked she was trying to claim she was Native American & a tribal member - changed Warren's approach. She's gone quiet. She was gaining traction because she was giving the President legitimate push back, and not allowing herself to be bullied. What has she said about the shutdown? about the Wall? about the President's moves in Syria & Afghanistan? If she made statements on these issues they've been lost in the media hum, and it seems like she's in a crouch. It's a cliche, but in politics if you're not on offense you're on defense, and she's been on defense since the fall.

skatingguy

Golden Team
This article is a year old. It mentions Oprah. The landscape has changed. But Trump is so narcissistic that he really thinks he's invincible.
I think he recognizes that he's vulnerable, and that's why he's encouraging (goading) Howard Schultz to get into the race as an independent, and he'll continue to look for opportunities to divide the electorate because it is his best strategy to win reelection.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I don't think the Pocahontas thing changed how people felt about Warren, I think the DNA test and the way that it came across - it looked she was trying to claim she was Native American & a tribal member - changed Warren's approach. She's gone quiet. She was gaining traction because she was giving the President legitimate push back, and not allowing herself to be bullied. What has she said about the shutdown? about the Wall? about the President's moves in Syria & Afghanistan? If she made statements on these issues they've been lost in the media hum, and it seems like she's in a crouch. It's a cliche, but in politics if you're not on offense you're on defense, and she's been on defense since the fall.
hmm that's not how I've seen her at all. She's been in Iowa campaigning before good crowds. She apologized to the Cherokee nation, and did not do it through the media, they publicized it not her.

She's been talking about issues and got front-page coverage for her call for a wealth tax and its been talked about extensively since then.

As for the other issues, she's been talking about them in her role as Senator, but her campaign is not reactive, she is campaigning on her agenda of challenging economic inequality and monopoly power.

She is making her full campaign announcement at a rally next weekend.

Marta24

Ups. Sorry. And yes he probably does think that, which could be an advantage for whoever is going to challenge him.

FiveRinger

I think he recognizes that he's vulnerable, and that's why he's encouraging (goading) Howard Schultz to get into the race as an independent, and he'll continue to look for opportunities to divide the electorate because it is his best strategy to win reelection.
Let me rephrase....the bravado is what he wants us to believe

skatingguy

Golden Team
Let me rephrase....the bravado is what he wants us to believe
Well I'm Canadian, so I don't think he cares at all what I think, but yes that's what he wants his base to believe and it seems to be what they want. One of the things that gets repeated at the MAGA rallies by his supporters is that they like that he's strong, but it's really, as you say bravado, and lacks any substance. His supporters seem to prefer bravado to actual solutions to problems.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
The headline is the equivalent of: "Is he or she 'authentic' enough? " a question that only seems to be asked of women and people of color.

Meredith

what a glorious day!
I started speed-reading "Is Cory Booker for Real" and became engrossed in the article and in Booker. I do want to learn more about him!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 3)