The Race for the 2020 POTUS elections

ballettmaus

This is disappointing from the Warren campaign.
No word on the Sanders campaign labelling Warren as elite and stirring the electibilty issue (none of the candidates should encourage the main stream media on this issue) and then not taking any responsibility yesterday? (Again, by the way, on both accounts. He had a similar argument, claiming he was busy when he was asked about the sexual harrassment claim and he also labelled Clinton as elite, if memory serves. And I really take an issue with someone running for President claiming they're too busy or have too many people working for them to know what is going on. Would that be his attitude as President as well?)

Considering what we've learned of Sanders' treatment of women in his campaign, is it really such a surprise or stretch that he told Warren that he doesn't believe a woman can be President? Should they have leaked it? Probably not. But maybe don't just be disappointed in the Warren campaign for leaking something that is easily credible but be disappointed in your favorite candidate's attitude about women as well.

That said Warren gave such a great answer in response to the Sanders' campaign yesterday ( https://twitter.com/neeratanden/status/1216451231503339520 ) so they should both get their campaigns to stop.

Sparks

Bernie also said this.

ballettmaus

A Sanders campaign advisor has floated the idea of flying back and forth in the evenings during the impeachment trial to hold campaign events. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/sanders-shuttle-trump-trial-could-trap-candidates-d-c-one-n1110561

Slightly related (not to the environmental issue but the stress issue), a USA Today op-ed arguing that Democrats should take his health into account and asking what would happen if he had another heart attack during the GE. https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/01/10/bernie-sanders-heart-attack-should-concern-democrats-column/2848611001/

And the rest of us should keep our eyes on the prize and not be sucked in even if the media is bidding for clicks with this.
Unfortunately, I just saw that the Sanders campaign is going after Warren has reached Trump's ear. He's already tweeted about it and asked if he sees a "freud brewing". :(

Last edited:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Unfortunately, I just saw that the Sanders campaign is going after Warren has reached Trump's ear. He's already tweeted about it and asked if he sees a "freud brewing". :(
And why should we care what Trump says about it? Of course he's going to cast aspersions and try to blow things up.

Eyes on the prize!

mrinalini

Disappointing from the Warren campaign, my arse. Sanders' top surrogates including David Sirota and Nina Turner have been bashing Warren regularly ever since she started being a threat to him, and now they want a peace accord? And it is about time that Sanders receives extra scrutiny and criticism now that he's a frontrunner considering what Warren has had to endure when she ascended in the polls. I won't hold my breath for that to happen, though, considering the disgusting sexism which permeates everything.

Now that Sanders is comfortably positioned the Bernie Bros are realizing that Sanders ain't winning shit if Warren's supporters don't coalesce behind him, so now it's all, the progressives have to be united and not tear each other down...all that hypocritical Kumbaya bullshit is enough to make me retch, honestly speaking.

ballettmaus

And why should we care what Trump says about it? Of course he's going to cast aspersions and try to blow things up.
Because it may not go away now. If he thinks it's worthy of being used in his rallies the "feud" between Warren and Sanders will stay alive and will not disappear from social media and probably not the media either. And we've all seen the damage social media can do.

On that note, Facebook basically says it won't change anything with regards to their ad policy. Odd, isn't it, that Zuckerberg has had at least one dinner with Trump. :shuffle: https://www.npr.org/2020/01/09/794911246/fec-commissioner-rips-facebook-over-political-ad-policy-this-will-not-do

Facebook says it will continue to allow political ads that target the social media platform's users, sticking to its position despite concerns about the potential impact on the upcoming presidential election.

Facebook says it shouldn't be in the business of fact-checking, that the U.S. needs new laws to govern political speech on social media

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
ever since she started being a threat to him,
Just by the by, Warren announced that she was running in December 2018, Sanders not until February 2019, so it's kind of the other way around, he decided to challenge her for the nomination, she didn't jump in against him.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Because it may not go away now. If he thinks it's worthy of being used in his rallies the "feud" between Warren and Sanders will stay alive and will not disappear from social media and probably not the media either. And we've all seen the damage social media can do.
So should we all post and argue about it on social media?

I say no, let's move on. We know how ugly it can get, why help it along?

Neither Sanders nor Warren will be helped by a fight between them.

I mean, I can go with just stopping the whole process now and making Biden the nominee but I don't think most Warren and Sanders supporters want that. But if they are going to go up against each other its going to make it a lot harder for one of them to prevail.

Peaches LaTour

Here are the two most important things direct from the Bible and Jesus.

You don’t see much neighborly love emanating from Christians these days.
No you Don't. It is always "My way or the highway which will take you to Hell".

This is one reason why I distrust & loathe "organized religion."

ballettmaus

So should we all post and argue about it on social media?

I say no, let's move on. We know how ugly it can get, why help it along?

Neither Sanders nor Warren will be helped by a fight between them.
No one said we should argue about it. It's just a sad fact that once Trump latches on to something, it's kept alive.

I agree, neither will be helped. But I think we also need to be fair and look at both sides/campaigns. (And I sincerely hope whoever leaked it from the Warren campaign didn't take it out of context because as easily as Sanders could have made this blanket statement, it could have come up in connection with the EC).

once_upon

New condo owner
Unless Sanders's supporters are willing to back whoever is the nominee we will see Trump in 2020.

As I've said Sanders is not my choice but if nominee I would vote for him. Which is more than I can say about my brother if someone else is the nominee.

topaz

@mrinalini my reference to be clear is response. I condone the volunteer scripting and whomever did or did not approve it.

My issue was with Warren's staff comment about A women can't win. Also, it appears an issue is with the Warren fundraising email that Bernie's surrogates take issue with.

A candidate's record is fair game, personal attacks and insinuations about their supporters is debatable. I don't condone it personally.

Sanders has been criticized alot. He has been vetted and continues to be. Sanders has been criticized for the last 4 years.

Also, Bernie Sanders has been building his network since 2017. The consensus he was running in 2020 was expected.

Please look at the polling to see where each candidate's supporters stand on their second choice. Sanders team is betting on expanding the voter electorate.

Last edited:

topaz

Also, I'd like to point out that Sanders is not comfortably positioned. The Iowa polling shows a virtual tie. Also the democratic primary isn't a winner take all, candidates will get delegate votes. Coming in 1st and 2nd will still net the candidates delegates. A win can build momentum but I'm looking at Nevada and Super Tuesday results.

topaz

So you object not to the fact that Sanders said it, but that it was leaked?

Statement from Elizabeth Warren: https://twitter.com/KristenOrthman/status/1216879913078329344
I don't think he said it. If so, why do you still consider someone a "friend" who openly stated to you I don't think a woman can win so blatantly, without any context? Also, why this being released now. Why not release it during the summer or during any of the debates when Warren's poll numbers were better and her fundraising numbers were higher. She could have ended his campaign if this was mentioned say 4 months ago when Bernie's polling percentage was stagnant.

Also, this question has been asked and proposed to Bernie several times over the last few years. If Warren's campaign or others involved thought he was blatantly lying, why not call him out on it previously? Heck, they could have leaked this private meeting they had months ago to another candidate, like Kamala Harris.

topaz

Warren takes the high road

LOL, the statement coming from her campaign director is a "high road".

Also, a part of the twitter statement says " what if the Democrats nominated a female candidate". They have already, in 2016. Wouldn't the statement be "what if the Democrats nominate another a female candidate"?

BittyBug

Wishing it weren't so
LOL, the statement coming from her campaign director is a "high road".

Also, a part of the twitter statement says " what if the Democrats nominated a female candidate". They have already, in 2016. Wouldn't the statement be "what if the Democrats nominate another a female candidate"?
You are really grasping at straws. The were discussing the 2020 election. "Nominating a female candidate" makes complete sense in that context.

Ask yourself who benefits from the discord and conspiracy theories you are so willing to accept. Donald Trump.

topaz

So you're calling Warren a liar? Has Sanders denied that he said it? I certainly haven't seen any denials.

There's an awful lot of conspiracy in your post.
I wasn't at the meeting so I don't what was actually said and in what context. I just stated I don't think he said it.

Here is the article on Bernie denying he said it.

LOL, you call it a conspiracy but I've seen it first hand in campaign elections. Campaign information is leaked on purpose for a myriad of reasons.

Also, @Sparks you give Putin too much power in US elections. Republican legislators have been purging voting records and rolls for decades; denying/interfering with folks of specific racial and political leanings the right to vote. There are folks within both parties and other powerful entities that would love for Sanders, Warren and/or the progressive agenda to fail.

Last edited:

topaz

What's at stake in 2020 is no laughing matter.
Hmmm, the situation the country is in is a long time coming. The house has been on fire for a long time

Also, you know my "LOL" comment was in reference to your "conspiracy" comment. I've worked on campaigns, my sister has worked on campaigns and we've seen things like a leader within the state's democratic party suggest one African American candidate run against another African American candidate so it can "split" the African American vote so the incumbent's chances of winning are diminished. The African American was an incumbent and the state party was not happy the way "she" did not fall in line with a few party narratives. So their solution, weaken the incumbent candidate by any means necessary.

This was my straw with my state's democratic party. I came to the realization that just because someone had "D" behind their name or say they are all for a progressive agenda; does not mean they are ready to relinquish their power.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information