The Race for the 2020 POTUS elections

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Ratings
Coming soon: Kamala Harris for President.

Kamala Harris invites speculation over 2020 White House bid (The Guardian)

When Kamala Harris was growing up in Oakland, California, her mother would warn her not to run too far at the park. But her father took a different position.

“Run as far as you want,” he told her. “Be fearless – and run.”

The story, which Harris shared with an audience in Washington on Wednesday night, invited speculation that the freshman senator from California may be taking her father’s advice literally as she contemplates a run for president in 2020.

Though Harris has not officially launched a campaign, the book tour and media blitz has been described as a “soft” campaign launch. In an earlier interview on CNN, Harris said she believed the country was absolutely ready from a woman of color as president.
I'm definitely interested in her candidacy.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Ratings
I think this article makes some good points, but how old is too old? Was Hillary too old? Is Warren too old? I don't think so but then its hard to put a definitive age on there.

I think its true that older people can often be too stuck in thinking in terms of how things happened in the past but that isn't always true. And as far as advisers rather than presidents, that can be useful at times.
Many young people are too stuck in their ways of thinking. Age has nothing to do with it. Actually some are able to see things from different angles, young or old. Ego is a big problem for most people.

Ageism is a problem in many walks of life. It is time to get past it and evaluate people based on what they actually are.

Vash01

Ratings
The 2020 democratic field is going to be like the 2016 republican field that produced Trump. The republicans will have just one serious candidate - unless Trump decides not to run. Hopefully the Dems will make a better choice. :). (How could they not, when compared with Trump?)

Louis

Ratings
We have minimum ages for things for good reason. Maximum ages are only fair. I would like to see codified into law, no president over 75 years of age in his or her first term, and no Senator over 80 on the day his or her term begins. (In reality, I think the limits should be 70 and 75, but I'm going five years higher to allow for the exceptional cases.)

The president dying or suffering from a debilitating illness, especially a mental illness like Alzheimer's, is a matter of national security. The risk of those things happening over 75 is extraordinarily higher than it is below 75.

Is Biden too old? Absolutely yes! Is Sanders? Absolutely yes! Is Warren? Debatable. Was Hillary? In my view, no. If we expect and encourage people to work until they're 70 (and likely beyond as the population ages), I'm OK with someone who was barely 69 becoming President.

There are absolutely ways to get to a definitive maximum age, the same way we get to a definitive minimum age of 16 for driving (in most states), 18 for voting, 18 for the draft, and 21 for drinking alcohol. Of course, it will never be perfectly fair to everyone, but like the rest of these laws -- hell, like all laws -- it will protect the national interest at the expense of a few outliers, while being generally fair to all.

Simone411

Well bleffing Covfefe! Clippy's flipping over P/C!
Ratings
First of all, I wish to thank @BlueRidge for bringing attention to this thread. I'm so used to posting in the Dangers of a Tribble Presidency thread that I have overlooked it.

I just remembered that John F. Kennedy was 43 years old when he became President. He was actually the youngest President in US History. Kamala Harris was born October 20th, 1964, almost a year after President Kennedy was assassinated. She'll be 55 this coming October.

She's served as a Junior Attorney General, District Attorney for California, Attorney General of California and is now, of course, a US Senator for California.

I feel her qualifications for running meet the requirements if not more (especially with what we have now as a President which is an orange-haired tribble).

I would definitely go for a Harris/Biden ticket. These are just my thoughts and opinions, and I feel that it might just work.

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
Ratings
I want her to stay in the Senate for at least one more term. She's my Senator and doing great work there. I do think she has what it takes to be President though.

Simone411

Ratings
Since Biden suggested that he's the Democrats' best hope (or something along those lines) I doubt he would go for it.
Even if he has suggested that, he could possibly change his mind should others that have considered running actually do decide to run.

ballettmaus

Ratings
Even if he has suggested that, he could possibly change his mind should others that have considered running actually do decide to run.
I'm not sure if he's really that great of a team player. In 2017, he dissed Clinton at a hedge fund conference and said she wasn't a great candidate but he would have been. So, at the very least, I consider him to be very full of himself. https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/19/joe-biden-reportedly-says-clinton-was-never-a-great-candidate.html

Peaches LaTour

Ratings

Peaches LaTour

Ratings
At 65 I was forced onto Medicare as my primary insurer which is standard in the U.S I still have secondary insurance which, pre-Medicare, was my primary insurer. Even with 2 healthcare providers, I still don't have 100% coverage. Far from it.

By the way, I HATE Medicare.

Vash01

Ratings
First of all, I wish to thank @BlueRidge for bringing attention to this thread. I'm so used to posting in the Dangers of a Tribble Presidency thread that I have overlooked it.

I just remembered that John F. Kennedy was 43 years old when he became President. He was actually the youngest President in US History. Kamala Harris was born October 20th, 1964, almost a year after President Kennedy was assassinated. She'll be 55 this coming October.

She's served as a Junior Attorney General, District Attorney for California, Attorney General of California and is now, of course, a US Senator for California.

I feel her qualifications for running meet the requirements if not more (especially with what we have now as a President which is an orange-haired tribble).

I would definitely go for a Harris/Biden ticket. These are just my thoughts and opinions, and I feel that it might just work.
I don't think JFK was the youngest president. Teddy Roosevelt was younger (around 42 I think. Will check on that). However he became president when President McKinley was assassinated. Roosevelt was elected after this term was over (he did not run after his term ended, but he ran one term later, for the Bull Moose Party and he defeated Taft but lost the election to Woodrow Wilson. When TR was elected, he was probably 43-44 (will check on this too). I have his biographical books at home.

JFK may have been the youngest Elected president.

ETA-

Just checked. TR born 10/27/1858. VP for McKinley
26th POTUS from Sept 14, 1901 to March 4, 1909 (McKinley was assassinated in Sept. 1901 :( )
That makes him younger than 43 when he became POTUS. (He completed 43 in October).

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Ratings
Julian Castro is set to enter the race today, according to this Politico article: https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/12/julian-castro-2020-election-democrats-1098636

I must admit I didn’t know much, if anything, about Castro. Just read his bio and was interested to learn that he has an identical twin brother, Joaquin, who is a U.S. House member from Texas.
The bio said the 2 brothers went to Stanford and Harvard Law together, worked at the same law firm, then opened their own firm together.

As a mom of twins, this has me all :love:. :biggrinbo

Simone411

Ratings
I don't think JFK was the youngest president. Teddy Roosevelt was younger (around 42 I think. Will check on that). However he became president when President McKinley was assassinated. Roosevelt was elected after this term was over (he did not run after his term ended, but he ran one term later, for the Bull Moose Party and he defeated Taft but lost the eoection to Woodrow Wilson. When TR was elected, he was probably 43-44 (will check on this too). I have his biographical books at home.

JFK may have been the youngest Elected president.

ETA-

Just checked. TR born 10/27/58. VP for McKinley
26th POTUS from Sept 14, 1901 to March 4, 1909 (McKinley was assassinated in Sept. 1901 :( )
That makes him younger than 43 when he became POTUS. (He completed 43 in October).
Thank you for finding out. Also, I found a list of the youngest Presidents. Pretty interesting. Bill Clinton was the third, Ulysses S. Grant was the fourth.

Who was the youngest President

There were 9 Presidents altogether under the age of 50.

Vash01

Ratings
Julian Castro is set to enter the race today, according to this Politico article: https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/12/julian-castro-2020-election-democrats-1098636

I must admit I didn’t know much, if anything, about Castro. Just read his bio and was interested to learn that he has an identical twin brother, Joaquin, who is a U.S. House member from Texas.
The bio said the 2 brothers went to Stanford and Harvard Law together, worked at the same law firm, then opened their own firm together.

As a mom of twins, this has me all :love:. :biggrinbo
So, if Julian Castro gets elected Potus, it is going to make the security team's job even more difficult. LOL.

ilovepaydays

Ratings
I have been thinking either Julian or Joaquin would be a good pick for the Democrats in Texas to run again John Cornyn for the U.S. Senate in 2020. It might even be something Beto O’Rourke should realistically consider.

It’s going to be insane if this Presidential field for the Democrats ends up being 15-20 (or more!) people. Are the first debates going to end up being two-tier like the GOP did in 2016? Or just have a % support threshold for participating in any of the debates?

Also - yes, I live in Virginia - I really hope that Terry McAuliffe doesn’t run. He barely won the Governor’s race in 2013 - and that was against one of the worst guys the GOP could have put up. I actually know of many center to center-left people that voted for Sarvis (Libertarian), believe it or not.

Last edited:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Ratings
It is surprising that there are probably going to be more than half a dozen big name candidates. But beyond those, the others will drop into irrelevance quickly. And likely a lot of people thinking about it will not even get in.

Right now it looks certain that Booker, Gillibrand, and probably Brown will get in with Warren, Harris, and Castro. Bernie wants to, but we'll see what the recent revelations do. No one really knows about O'Rourke. One or two others may try but I really doubt the field will go much beyond that.

No one is going to support people like Gabbard and McAuliffe.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Ratings
Not even their moms? :saint:
I doubt it. :shuffle:

For those not from Virginia to add to what @ilovepaydays said, Terry McAuliffe won solely because his opponent was Ken Cuccinelli :yikes: The story that went round the media about McAuliffe, which IIRC was taken from McAuliffe's own book was about him leaving his wife and newborn (I think that was it) in a car while he spent time at some political fundraiser. Okay I don't remember it clearly but it was basically this guy isn't a very caring human; he's a political operative.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 2)