The Race for the 2020 POTUS elections

MsZem

Buttigieg irritates me when he compares himself with Obama, or if he ever compares himself with any woman or another race. He is seen as a white male, and his lifestyle is not questioned (not saying it should be). Obama, Hillary were obviously not white males and they faced all the disadvantages of it. If Pete does win the nomination, the republicans will attack his lifestyle but right now he has no disadvantages other than his lack of experience at a high level.
You think that Buttigieg hasn't faced homophobia and doesn't have to deal with it still from some voters? Seriously?

On a somewhat related note, you just know that Abrams' romance novels (which are a point in her favor as far as I'm concerned!) will come up in a campaign in some vile way.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Three A's, T&M, P&C
You think that Buttigieg hasn't faced homophobia and doesn't have to deal with it still from some voters? Seriously?

On a somewhat related note, you just know that Abrams' romance novels (which are a point in her favor as far as I'm concerned!) will come up in a campaign in some vile way.
Yes but not as much as blacks or women. He still looks like a white male to many, and I suspect they ignore his life style. Women and blacks have no such consessions. My own opinion is that right now he is not qualified to be potus, and he should run fir a higher position like state governor, or US senator, HR, etc. to learn what it is really like to hold that kind of responsibility. We cannot afford another inexperienced potus. For that reason I also reject Bloomberg and Yang (who I like a lot).

MsZem

Yes but not as much as blacks or women. He still looks like a white male to many, and I suspect they ignore his life style. Women and blacks have no such consessions. My own opinion is that right now he is not qualified to be potus, and he should run fir a higher position like state governor, or US senator, HR, etc. to learn what it is really like to hold that kind of responsibility. We cannot afford another inexperienced potus. For that reason I also reject Bloomberg and Yang (who I like a lot).
A person being LGBTQ+ is not a "lifestyle". And while he can pass for straight, "don't ask don't tell" isn't how people should live their lives. He's an out gay man married to another man. Of course voters are aware of this, and not all are open-minded.

I agree that Buttigieg needs more experience. My sense is that he's running for cabinet secretary/visibility for future campaigns more so than for president.

A latter-day Benjamin Disraeli? :unsure:
Read and find out ;)

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
The all out centrist attack on Warren continues to be successful. In the latest poll of California she's dropped 7 points since September.

Biden has dropped too.

Sanders has taken the lead.

Yeah this is working well for the centrists...

But as we know, California voters don't count anyway... bunch of coastal elites... :saint:

mrinalini

Just imagine, just IMAGINE (!) if any one of the female candidates had responded to a voter the way Biden did in this clip:

She'd probably be drummed out of the race by the media and anyone who saw such a display. Needless to say, male privilege and entitlement (the double standards!) never fail to grind my gears. 🤬

AliasJohnDoe

Headcase Addict
Yes, he has (and is): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJiQJl_h5XI

However, I would be very surprised if any Republican running mates would use Pete's sexual orientation against him. (For fear of making themselves look bigoted.)
I agree. He has faced homophobia during is campaign already.

It wouldn't be the Republican running mate using Pete's sexual orientation against him. It would be Trump himself, his Christian coalition who believe Trump was sent by GOD (Perry, Huckabee, Falwell Jr. and Robertson) and his stooges at FOX News/right wing publications.

I cringe every time I see someone call being gay a "lifestyle".

ballettmaus

Just imagine, just IMAGINE (!) if any one of the female candidates had responded to a voter the way Biden did in this clip:
That's exactly what I said to my parents.

CNN played clips of Pelosi and Biden back to back and yet again, it was the "emotional" woman who was sharp but composed and the guy who didn't have his temper in check.

Vagabond

In an earlier age, a Presidential candidate's calling a member of the public a liar would not have raised an eyebrow, though using the word "damned" might have. Perhaps instead of wondering why men and women are subject to different standards, we should be asking why standards have changed and whether that is a good thing.

MsZem

CNN played clips of Pelosi and Biden back to back and yet again, it was the "emotional" woman who was sharp but composed and the guy who didn't have his temper in check.
You're following the wrong people, the journalists I follow were either factual or impressed by Pelosi's response. And Angela Merkel doesn't cuss people (that I'm aware of), but her toughness doesn't seem to be criticized.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I get the man of the people thing with Biden all of sudden because of seeing him in comparison to Bloomberg. :eek: I'd rather Biden was a little less irascible at times but he feels like a real guy to me.

Bloomberg feels real too. Like a real oligarch.

Bloomberg argued those who are complaining about the lack of diversity among the Democratic frontrunners should have fielded their own candidate. “Lots of people can enter,” the former New York mayor said. “If you wanted to enter and run for president of the United States, you could have done that. But don’t complain to me that you’re not in the race. It’s up to you.”
Yeah, but don't mention that not everyone can spend $100 million of their own money. He should get out of the race. His muzzling of his news organization as far as reporting on himself is concerned shows who he truly is.

mrinalini

Biden insulted the man's appearance and intellect (I heard him call the man "fat"; the campaign says he said "fact", but of course they will) - if he cannot control his temper when dealing with a 83-year-old Iowan farmer, he has no business being President. What kinds of hissy fits will he be having with Trump or when things go awry on the world stage? I am disgusted (but not at all surprised because it is clear who the establishment wants as the candidate) that the media is spinning this as a win for Biden when to me this kind of behavior is typical of a cantankerous old man and not what I want to see in a President.

And as I said before, if Hillary, if Klobuchar, if Warren had gone off like this and had it widely circulated, their campaigns would have been OVER! Actually, I don't think even Obama could've gotten away with it during his first run, and it is very obvious why the aforementioned persons would've paid the price while Biden gets a free pass.

ilovepaydays

Biden insulted the man's appearance and intellect (I heard him call the man "fat"; the campaign says he said "fact", but of course they will) - if he cannot control his temper when dealing with a 83-year-old Iowan farmer, he has no business being President. What kinds of hissy fits will he be having with Trump or when things go awry on the world stage? I am disgusted (but not at all surprised because it is clear who the establishment wants as the candidate) that the media is spinning this as a win for Biden when to me this kind of behavior is typical of a cantankerous old man and not what I want to see in a President.

And as I said before, if Hillary, if Klobuchar, if Warren had gone off like this and had it widely circulated, their campaigns would have been OVER! Actually, I don't think even Obama could've gotten away with it during his first run, and it is very obvious why the aforementioned persons would've paid the price while Biden gets a free pass.
Here’s the tweet thread statement by Biden Sr. Advisor Symone Sanders. :rolleyes:

And the Iowa voter just kept making things glorious. :lol:

Nope, the DNC shouldn’t be freaking out all at............

ballettmaus

You're following the wrong people, the journalists I follow were either factual or impressed by Pelosi's response.
I didn't say otherwise.

And Angela Merkel doesn't cuss people (that I'm aware of), but her toughness doesn't seem to be criticized.
What toughness? :shuffle:

I was speaking generally. Women are still said to be emotional. Warren was just described as antagonisti and angry. Women are not electable and whatever else the sh*t is that they say about women. And yet, women have proven time and again that they remain calm when they get challenged.
But if a woman had reacted like Biden, she would have dropped numbers in the polls and we wouldn't hear the end of it. Like a columnist said yesterday when she was asked if we'd have a President Clinton right now if she had been more like she was during the Howard Stern interview: then she would have been criticized for that.

But, apparently, Biden is applauded for losing his cool (pushing back, as it was put). Can you imagine what it'll be like if he is the nominee and debates Trump like that?! :yikes:

ilovepaydays

But, apparently, Biden is applauded for losing his cool (pushing back, as it was put). Can you imagine what it'll be like if he is the nominee and debates Trump like that?! :yikes:
I’m starting to stock up on beer to get ready for the Trump vs. Biden debates right now. 🍺

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Apparently Gabbard did not make it so this is the final cut:

• Joe Biden
  • Bernie Sanders
  • Elizabeth Warren
  • Pete Buttigieg
  • Amy Klobuchar
  • Tom Steyer
  • Andrew Yang
Should we be regarding these as the only viable candidates now?

Well and Bloomberg due to his ability to buy the election.

I don't actually think Steyer is viable and Yang probably isn't that leaves the big four and Klobuchar.

ballettmaus

Apparently Gabbard did not make it so this is the final cut:
A couple of days ago, I read that Gabbard had said that she wouldn't attend one way or another. Guess we'll never know if she meant it (not that it probably matters much).

In other news: Biden is signaling to aides that he would likely not run for re-election if elected. https://www.politico.com/news/2019/12/11/biden-single-term-082129

What does he think he can accomplish in one term after everything that's happened? It makes me think he's in it more because he feels he should have been the nominee before and can't let go rather than because he wants what's best for the country.

MsZem

In other news: Biden is signaling to aides that he would likely not run for re-election if elected. https://www.politico.com/news/2019/12/11/biden-single-term-082129

What does he think he can accomplish in one term after everything that's happened? It makes me think he's in it more because he feels he should have been the nominee before and can't let go rather than because he wants what's best for the country.
Maybe he feels that he's the most electable and best positioned to guide the country after the Trump years, but recognizes that at his age two terms may be too much. In which case his VP would be in a good place going into 2024.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 7, Guests: 9)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information